Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it's because he wrestles whoever sometimes. when you think wrestling matches have no story, just the booking of the match to take place is the entirety of what a match can offer to 'the story', then that's the only thing to focus on, when your brain is that lil. not yours. new page.

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Dec 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

El Generico posted:

unnecessary flips unironically loving rule

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RWxaVe_Ka-8

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Already deleted the whole account lol

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
I don't know why he keeps trying this.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Hoss Corncave posted:

But then again, if I recall correctly, that ECW documentary WWE did was very good at making it seem like only WCW was raiding ECW for talent, while the honourable Vince McMahon was just giving opportunities.

That was WWE's propaganda long before ECW; they didn't "steal" guys from the AWA, Mid-Atlantic, Georgia Championship Wrestling, Mid-South, etc. They were simply offering them better opportunities. What WCW did in the 90s, according to WWE, that was stealing.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone have a link to that Reddit post that sums up the Chris Regal saga?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Fsmhunk posted:

Does anyone have a link to that Reddit post that sums up the Chris Regal saga?

Seconding. I only started reading this thread a couple months ago and have no idea who that is. The OP doesn't have anything about him so maybe link that there?

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Elephant Ambush posted:

Seconding. I only started reading this thread a couple months ago and have no idea who that is. The OP doesn't have anything about him so maybe link that there?

Oh man, if somone finds it you are in for a treat lol

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Heres a Tweet about it, enjoy!

https://twitter.com/tnameccaquotes/status/888190892338794496?s=20

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I'm not reading that

e: oh its THAT post

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Have these buffoons never heard of pastebin or twitlonger or whatever they call it these days?

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Lmao, that poo poo rocks.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Well that certainly is a thing. Thanks for posting that!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Added that tweet to the OP.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Benne posted:

I still can't wrap my mind around all the "they're wasting Adam Cole" takes. Like his whole storyline right now is that he's plotting a subtle coup of the Elite, everybody knows that Kyle is coming in to join him and Bobby, and they went out of their way to say that Kenny didn't watch his last match so he doesn't know the Bucks let him lose. This is exactly the kind of slow-burn stuff people say they want in wrestling but then complain that "nothing happens" because it's not shouted into a microphone every single week.

You're right about then not getting it. If they even watch AEW they don't recognize this as a storyline. This is one of the reasons WWE recaps and repeats storybeats every second. Their remaining fans are really bad at following along. WWE super fans HAVE to follow the dozen hours of WWE content every week because they can't follow any other entertainment aside from maybe a cartoon aimed at 4 year olds.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Benne posted:

I still can't wrap my mind around all the "they're wasting Adam Cole" takes. Like his whole storyline right now is that he's plotting a subtle coup of the Elite, everybody knows that Kyle is coming in to join him and Bobby, and they went out of their way to say that Kenny didn't watch his last match so he doesn't know the Bucks let him lose. This is exactly the kind of slow-burn stuff people say they want in wrestling but then complain that "nothing happens" because it's not shouted into a microphone every single week.

Part of the problem is definitely ingrained literacy, but it's not so much "Lol, WWE fans are bad" and more that WWE's years since the Attitude Era has been a long process of destroying every ounce of credibility with fans so the only way they can engage week to week is "Do the people I like win or get big matches? No? Okay I don't care then", because there's no point getting invested if Vince is gonna have one of his "You like what I tell you to like" moments.

So these fans are engaging with AEW in the same way; super gun shy and mostly just chasing a dopamine hit rather than actually wanting to engage with the product (which, let's be fair, right now I'm not gonna judge someone for just wanting some positive hormones), so the interesting story of Cole, his history with the Bucks and Kenny, Future Shock and reDRagon and the Undisputed Era, his complete and utter lack of chill and increasing need to be seen once again as The Guy doesn't get spotted because it requires patience to parse.

And let's be fair, AEW fans can be the same way with WWE, for the exact same reason. On paper, when you actually dig through it, Roman Reigns' heel turn is actually pretty cool, incorporating a lot of stuff fans had been theorycrafting for years when they fantasy booked him going evil, and the way they've set him up as the big Final Boss for the various upper midcard faces to struggle against is a neat story and if you were already willing to put the dopamine chase away and just engage with the story being told, it's a neat shift for the company in terms of how the Top Guy is presented. That ignores EVERYTHING else, of course. The inability of WWE to create stars, its refusal to listen to the fans, the insane sociopathy of everyone's characters, the utter lack of payoff or even a desire to push boundaries, all those things are there and it's a massive barrier to investing in anything WWE does because we all know we're gonna get burned. Even when Vince gives us the puppy, at some point he's going to kill it in front of us.

Hell the only reason I really got into AEW was I read the Defector article after the DO/Elite 10 Man and seeing the whole story of Hangman Page I thought "You know what? That's an interesting story, I might as well give it a shot" and because I was waiting for the Hanger payoff I was willing to be patient and engage with the story being told rather than just waiting for the bad thing to happen and those folks who are genuinely upset about Cole, or Danielson or Punk's booking probably won't engage with the product until they find a similar convincer that says "Hey, that stuff you didn't like? It was for a purpose and we're coming up on the payoff maybe you should give it another shot". AEW is still an incredibly young company and they're still building credibility, so the internet is going to be very stupid, even when folks aren't just trying to score points for WWE.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I will never read that. Ever

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

Benne posted:

he's unhappy

https://twitter.com/bigbenny500/status/1467870813097504777

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Shard posted:

I will never read that. Ever

You should. It's pretty funny.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
The ballad of Chris Regal will never not be funny.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Wait a second. Is the Junkie who was mentioned as a TNAMecca's "whipping boy" the same Junkie we see all the bad tweets from in this thread? I want it to be true so badly.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Elephant Ambush posted:

You should. It's pretty funny.

EVER

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

lol at someone thinking brian cage leaving is going to cause anything negative to happen

if anything it's a positive to both AEW and whatever lovely backyard fed he ends up in

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

my condolences to TNA for having Brian Cage inflicted upon them

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Uhhh apparently people are calling Britt unsafe for this spot??

https://twitter.com/SurvivingFoxy/status/1467705646002982917

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Pylons posted:

desperate

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

she's shooting

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Alaois posted:

desperate

yeah I'm pretty sure if Britt had bene actually doing unsafe stomps to the golden child Riho she'd have been disciplined pretty quickly, really doubt any foul play was involved

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

IGgy IGsen posted:

Have these buffoons never heard of pastebin or twitlonger or whatever they call it these days?
I ran OCR on it with FineReader. It's probably not perfect, but here's what it spat out (I only fixed spacing issues):

https://pastebin.com/DvKSW2Sd

Ok, I'm just going to go through this all one time, for myself. There's going to be nothing but repeat info for long time posters. Maybe I'll add it to the next FAQ, I don't know. But here is the Chris story.

Chris Regal was a poster on a TNA message board, TNA Asylum. He was originally known as "Shelbin", a combination of Alex Shelley and Chris Sabin's names. Chris did not like how TNA Asylum was being run and attempted to start his own TNA fan site. His first attempt failed, but his second, TNA Mecca, succeeded. He did not start it by himself, enlisting two fellow posters, Big Dawg and MisterTNA, to be co-founders.

Mecca ran from August of 2013 on, mostly built around discussion threads and the occasional opinion column or interview. Somewhere along the way MisterTNA dropped out, leaving Chris and Big Dawg to be the sole two men behind the site, as well as the only two moderators of their message board. Chris was by far the more active mod, and had a love hate relationship with it, his site, and TNA as a whole. He obviously enjoyed being in charge, giving temporary bans and threats of such, and loved leading discussion as well as shaping it, frequently telling posters that they were being too negative. Chris though was also prone to dramatic mood swings when he disliked something about TNA, at times threatening to shut down the site or stop watching the product. These down swings generally never lasted more than a few weeks, and were often only a few days.

Chris was a private person. A former poster/columnist JH Chase has said that Regal was not Chris' last name, based on seeing a different listed last name in an email from him. Big Dawg, the man on the site closest to Chris, who considered him a close friend, never saw so much as a picture of Chris. One poster, Bret, did meet up with him at a New York TNA event. Chris was said to be in his late 30s/early 40s. He was an openly gay man who occasionally would share an anecdote about his dating life, including a time that an "angry queen" threw an orange at him. He enjoyed wine and 80s music. He volunteered to help Hillary Clinton's 2016 campaign during the democratic convention. That's about all we know.

Chris stopped posting for a few days in January, and then Big Dawg informed us that he had passed away from cancer. Chris had told no one in his online community, not even Dawg, that he had cancer. Dawg did say that he was in contact with Chris' family, and that Chris had set aside money for the TNAMecca domain to be paid for annually well into the future.

Some time later, someone posted under Chris Regal's account, just randomly saying hi. This shocked everyone, here, on Mecca, even Big Dawg, who was not expecting it. We were quickly informed that this was Chris' older brother George. Rather than start his own account, George was posting under Chris', complete with his name, avatar, and moderator status, which seemed to include powers that even Big Dawg didn't have access to. After a couple days of brief conversations, George said the reason he was there was that Chris' sister told him to thank everyone for the kind words. George claimed to have known about Mecca before Chris' passing but said they never talked about the site. He claimed to not be a wrestling fan, at least a modern one, but started watching Impact in the months before Chris' death.

George became a poster on Mecca, at first sporadically showing up once every week or two, and then slowly becoming somewhat more active. He at one point said that while he was not posting every day, he was reading Mecca every day. He never got his own account, but the displayed name was eventually changed to "George", and the avatar picture was changed from Chris' chosen one to something different. Due to how Disqus boards work, all of Chris Regal's old posts became listed as being written by George. His posts were often very short and practically pointless, consisting of hellos, good byes, very brief opinions on Impact, and questions about who a wrestler was. He generally ignored capital letters, talked in courser language, and had a poor grasp of spelling and punctuation, a stark (Perhaps too stark) contrast to his brother Chris. George said that his nephew wondered where his Dad was, revealing that Chris had a son he never referenced once.

Eventually, George started getting bolder, telling Junkie (A poster who is Mecca's favorite whipping boy, who gets ribbed by everyone in a somewhat affectionate way, but especially by Chris in the past) that he had "really grown some balls" since Chris died. This seemed to perplex a lot of people, including Big Dawg. George after all had never posted on Mecca ever until after Chris' death. After this period George apologized but things started to get a little more tense and George started to get more opinionated.

Finally, George came on before an episode of Impact and asked if everyone was going to be unfairly negative about the show. Pre-complaining about people being too negative about an episode of Impact was something that hadn't been seen often since Chris died. It was something Chris loved doing, as he would frequently browbeat his posters for not being as positive or negative as he was on a given day. On this day George pre-complained, a poster got into a slight sarcastic tiff with George, who responded by getting pretty angry and doing some fairly aggressive name calling. George apologized again and signed off, and within hours Big Dawg came on and said that George's behavior was not acceptable.

Hours after that, the user name of George's account had been changed back to "Chris Regal", and the avatar picture had been changed back to Chris' old on as well. Big Dawg came on and said that Chris' sister had taken away George's right to post and changed everything about the account back.

So, taken all at face value, Chris Regal died, never told even his closest Mecca friends he was dying, but set Mecca up to be paid for years into the future. Chris' sister then tells Chris' brother to post on Mecca and thank all the posters for well wishes. Chris' brother, who had never posted on Mecca while Chris was alive, used Chris' account rather than make his own, and began to become a bigger and bigger Impact fan, going as far as to read PWlnsider. As Chris' brother seems to become more and more like Chris, he gets on people's nerves. Finally, after having a public tantrum, within a matter of a few hours, Chris Regal's sister, who has never posted on Mecca, who sent Chris' brother to post there rather than post herself, somehow had and used the power to lock George out of Chris' account and change all of the account information to how Chris had left it.

This is what we're supposed to believe. That two siblings of Chris have gotten this involved with his former WRESTLING MESSAGE BOARD, yet no one has been able to go to Disqus and figure out how to give Big Dawg the absolute mod powers Chris' account has, or even ownership of the domain name. We're supposed to believe that George became a big fan of Impact, not in the years when his brother had an Impact message board, but during the months leading up to his death, and became an even bigger fan after he died. We're supposed to believe that he somehow magically knows that Chris would be ashamed at certain posters, and that others have gotten cockier since Chris' death, even though he didn't post before Chris' death. We're supposed to believe there is a sister who has power enough over Chris' account to block George from using it, yet had to send him to thank everyone on Mecca in her stead in the first place. No. I can't anymore. It's not impossible, but added all together, it’s not as likely as Chris Regal faked his death and couldn't stay away.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

DLC Inc posted:

yeah I'm pretty sure if Britt had bene actually doing unsafe stomps to the golden child Riho she'd have been disciplined pretty quickly, really doubt any foul play was involved

If Riho was in a situation she was unhappy about, several things would happen in quick succession. One she would beat the wrestler's rear end. Then she would beat the promoter's rear end. And possible any agent or booker that dared interrupt. Unrelated, the promotion's office would spontaneously combust.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Its just more infantalizing bullshit, treating the Japanese woman like a fragile baby who can't protect herself

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

its grasping at straws and trying to compare britt baker to charlotte after the poo poo with charlotte and kairi

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Alaois posted:

its grasping at straws and trying to compare britt baker to charlotte after the poo poo with charlotte and kairi

Someone is actually trying to compare Britt to Nia Jax.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Pylons posted:

Someone is actually trying to compare Britt to Nia Jax.

bigger lmao

davius_xw
Aug 23, 2021

Benne posted:

These same people would watch the first few episodes of Breaking Bad and wonder what the big deal is about some geeky High School science teacher.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
Riho has some freakish flexibility. I've said it before when she's been in Boston Crabs and stuff.

You could probably fold her in half and she'd pop up and be completely fine.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, the first one, sure, her face goes into the buckle which was probably not fun but no more or less than anything else in a match, and the rest is just her selling.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
if there's one thing joshis are extremely vulnerable to and must be protected from its stiff shots during a match

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Speaking as someone who still doesn’t fully understand the magic of wrestling, I don’t know how Britt/Riho are working that but the fact that Riho is still alive and un-paralyzed suggests this was not a shoot

E and yeah 99% of the people making these complaints have never seen a Joshi match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Pylons posted:

LMFAO

Everything else that's been said also