Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Muscle Tracer posted:

This is a flaw in Q, not anything to do with captains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Back in the day, anyone who now uses the phrase Eurotrash would've use the phrase to describe Anne Frank, and would've wanted everyone on board M.S. St. Louis to return to Germany (to be murdered).

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Back in the day, anyone who now uses the phrase Eurotrash would've use the phrase to describe Anne Frank, and would've wanted everyone on board M.S. St. Louis to return to Germany (to be murdered).

I can assure you that they would have used different phrases for Anne Frank specifically

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

thetoughestbean posted:

I can assure you that they would have used different phrases for Anne Frank specifically

True, true, Amerigoons would've used some much worse phrase.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Picard is unfortunately lowered to second to worst star trek captain because patrick stewart agreeing to star in picard. archer is probably the best

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

doverhog posted:

Eating some sausages stuffed with cheese atm and yeah food is pretty good.

Cheese kransky?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

when something is in the form of a conspiracy theory i just automatically disbelieve it. when everyone kept saying "epstein didnt kill himself" my reaction was "well i guess he really must have killed himself then"

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Tiggum posted:

Cheese kransky?

https://www.hk.fi/tuotteet/tuote/hk-kabanossi-juusto-400g-/

Shibawanko posted:

when something is in the form of a conspiracy theory i just automatically disbelieve it. when everyone kept saying "epstein didnt kill himself" my reaction was "well i guess he really must have killed himself then"

Epstein was a CIA asset, with incriminating evidence about Clinton, Trump, Gates. If you think the CIA wouldn't let someone gently caress minors or wouldn't assassinate someone dunno what to tell, read more about history I guess.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If you think the CIA is competent enough to perform an assassination then you should read more history

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

theres just no direct evidence and between the explanation that requires a complex plan and setup and which also happens to appeal to people's sense of narrative and need for closure, and the simple straightforward mainstream explanation i will always go for the latter

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

If you think the CIA is competent enough to perform an assassination then you should read more history

I always wonder if the whole Castro thing was a psyop. I know it probably wasn't but they should have at least go lucky once.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

There's always the middle ground conspiracy too. Boy wouldn't it be better if this guy went away; why not assign guards we know are lazy, literally give him enough rope to hang himself, and hope?

Not everything is STATE DEPARTMENT ALPHA MAX TANGO PRECISION OPERATIONS where everything is cunningly planned

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

Shibawanko posted:

It's good that you're acknowledging your biases and trying to overcome them

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

Shibawanko posted:

theres just no direct evidence and between the explanation that requires a complex plan and setup and which also happens to appeal to people's sense of narrative and need for closure, and the simple straightforward mainstream explanation i will always go for the latter

The mainstream explanation is the more absurd one. The camera just coincidentally malfunctioned at the time Epstein died, the guards didn't check up on him like they were scheduled to do, Epstein hung himself with a rope made from a paper blanket specifically designed so that it couldn't be turned into a rope to kill yourself with, and that rope was tied to a bed frame below Epstein's neck but he was still able to hang himself by "kneeling with force" which I don't think is a thing you can actually do.

A conspiracy to murder him is the simpler, more believable explanation.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Yeah I don't think America would just kill some guy. America is the land of the free, and just. Gods chosen, after all, as it says in the bible. Killing people is extremely anti-american

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

It's not so much that no one will morally do it as that killing people on your own soil is rare, difficult, hard to hide, and hard to keep control of the tens or hundreds of people who might get wind that something is wrong.

If you're a career bureaucrat and know you'll be thrown under the bus if anything gets proven or goes wrong in any way, it isn't going to be your first choice.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Strategic Tea posted:

It's not so much that no one will morally do it as that killing people on your own soil is rare, difficult, hard to hide, and hard to keep control of the tens or hundreds of people who might get wind that something is wrong

Hmm except it's not?

e: Your post is a good example of why it's not "hard to hide".

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 15:13 on Dec 5, 2021

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Strategic Tea posted:

It's not so much that no one will morally do it as that killing people on your own soil is rare, difficult, hard to hide, and hard to keep control of the tens or hundreds of people who might get wind that something is wrong.

If you're a career bureaucrat and know you'll be thrown under the bus if anything gets proven or goes wrong in any way, it isn't going to be your first choice.

cops are murdering americans on american soil constantly, and very publicly getting away with it

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The tends or hundreds of people are people who matter, not half interested internet commenters. It doesn't matter what I believe.

I dunno I genuinely don't think people are being regularly subject to political assassination in western countries. Could this be an exception? Sure but I don't think it is as simple as calling in the home team hit squad because they have a slot free on Monday.

Muscle Tracer posted:

cops are murdering americans on american soil constantly, and very publicly getting away with it

Of course but not politically sensitive powerbrokers with the eyes of the world on them (usually).

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Strategic Tea posted:

The tends or hundreds of people are people who matter

Actually they don't matter at all in a fascist police state such as, for instance, the United States of America. What're they gonna do? Write a piece about it that you and all the other schmucks will simply not read and/or believe? Go to the cops? Tweet?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

They seemed pretty broken up about a decade of wikileaks exposes, which came with hard evidence.

My original post was basically to say there are reasons to doubt it was deliberate beyond disbelief that the fine upstanding USA would ever kill a dude.

My pet theory is that there was foul play that stopped short of actual murder. I'm not particularly invested in the story because I'm not American and don't think the US has much going for it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It doesn’t have to be The State that killed him. He had ties to tons of extremely powerful people. Could be anyone who flew on the Lolita Express a few too many times.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Ok but you are just asking the question "what is the state"? Former or current presidents, billionaires, the apparatus of a prison that let someone in to strangle him and covered up all evidence, that is all "the state".

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Lmao if you think Epstein is actually dead.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Ghislaine Maxwell, who knows everything he knew, his literal partner-in-crime, is alive. If the CIA stopped at Epstein they were really loving lazy

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Henchman of Santa posted:

It doesn’t have to be The State that killed him. He had ties to tons of extremely powerful people. Could be anyone who flew on the Lolita Express a few too many times.

I always imagined it going down like in Murder on the Orient Express where everyone with motive strangles him a little bit so the blame is spread around. Jimmy Buffett and Prince Andrew all waiting patiently in the hallway for their turn to choke a guy.

Nameless Pete has a new favorite as of 18:54 on Dec 5, 2021

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
I kinda think it might actually be possible that the lettuce they have at Chipotle is just paper.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
I'm serious, if you went to the Chipotle website and looked at the ingredients and it turned out that the lettuce they serve is actually some kind of sustainable vegan lettuce substitute made of recycled paper, would you really be that surprised? Or would you be like, "yeah that makes sense. that explains why it's like that"

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Tell me more about this non-vegan lettuce they were using previously.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Nameless Pete posted:

Tell me more about this non-vegan lettuce they were using previously.

When McDonalds became a major investor in Chipotle in ‘98, they shared their patent for a meat-based lettuce which they had developed to save two cents per thousand burgers sold.

When McDonalds left in ‘06, Chipotle was forced to develop their own lettuce alternative, and elected to cut costs by using the same paper sourced for their tortilla chip bags.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Lettuce has no place on a burrito, or a taco for that matter

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you're talking about Chipotle I only see them put lettuce in the salads.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Eating a salad at chipotle is like getting a burger at a Chinese restaurant.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

Mu Zeta posted:

If you're talking about Chipotle I only see them put lettuce in the salads.

It's a Chipotle, you can make them put whatever you want in a burrito.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I think lettuce is fine on a boring crunchy gringo taco, but on a burrito how do you not end up with lukewarm mush lettuce?

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
That’s my personal pet peeve; putting huge amounts of lovely tasteless iceberg lettuce on food that’s served hot. Burritos, tacos, hot sandwiches, even burgers- it just makes the food cold and the limp lukewarm lettuce can be a PITA to try to pick off. I know they do it just to make the food appear larger - I’ve never heard a single soul say ‘gee, this wilted tepid lettuce really makes this XXXX taste fantastic’.

Subway is the worst offender, but at least most of their sandwiches are cold.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Iceberg lettuce is not a food and does not belong on food.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Lettuce at subway is a scrub move when they have spinach right there. Holds up to temp much better.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Iceberg is fine if you need crunchy water for texture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Alfalfa sprouts are a better alternative to any leafy green salad vegetable in any kind of sandwich-like food. Spinach and rocket are obviously much better than iceberg, but alfalfa is even better.