Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Something so amazing to me about excel is that I've been hearing the same complaints about it for 20 years and they've never changed it.

I swear that piece of poo poo exists solely to create jobs for miserable corporate assholes that get a thrill out of redoing the same sheet a thousand times to justify their grotesque salary.

Every time I see the loving "PERSONAL.GOATSE has been locked for editing" or whatever I just turn off the computre and go away. Maybe come back in ½ an hour, maybe not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
What annoys me the most about Excel is how every single sheet becomes impossible to maintain because it's just a spaghetti of references. You can't do any version control, it's just a huge mess that is impossible to maintain and spits out mystery answers that can no longer be validated.

It's such a piece of poo poo, lmao

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Excel owns actually, I'm sorry you all suck at it

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Excel is magnificently good at being an all purpose stopgap. You can make a much better, more powerful and easier to maintain system with an actual database (even loving Access), but that takes knowing how to database, how to program a front end, and a lot of work to get it off the ground.

Excel just lets you start making the thing, without needing to have much training or knowledge, and lets you get pretty far and solve a lot of problems for what it is. Sure the wheels come off when your monster spreadsheet gets too big and complex, but up until that point it's great. And lots of people will never get to that point anyway.

Excel loving rules.

That said, if I never have to write another Excel-to-our-company's-product importer ever again in my career I'll die happy.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Excel and its consequences have been a disaster for the human race.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Reminder that Excel is a Turing Complete FP language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yKf8TrLUOw

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Carbon dioxide posted:

Hm, yes, from a conference naming itself after the most vile and chaotic programming construct there is. Well, that's on brand I guess.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Hyperlynx posted:

Hm, yes, from a conference naming itself after the most vile and chaotic programming construct there is. Well, that's on brand I guess.

It's not called COMEFROM though :confused:

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

GrandMaster posted:

It's not all bad getting paid to spend half the day googling how to do a vlookup, then the second half of the day trying to figure out why the gently caress it's not working

VLOOKUP (and XLOOKUP) are my IT superpowers. The next iteration is doing it with CSVs in powershell.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Is this one of those "Belgium atrocities" that I've been hearing about?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

A step up from the Belgian awful

Golden Dragon
Apr 9, 2007

Always speak politely to an enraged Dragon

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Something so amazing to me about excel is that I've been hearing the same complaints about it for 20 years and they've never changed it.

I swear that piece of poo poo exists solely to create jobs for miserable corporate assholes that get a thrill out of redoing the same sheet a thousand times to justify their grotesque salary.

I have literally a dozen spreadsheets open now. Where do I pick up my grotesque salary?

Carbon dioxide posted:

Thus you can make a ray tracing render directly in the cells

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m28jJ7CMp8A

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Excel is great and if my company would pay me to just spreadsheets all day I'd jump on that in a heartbeat

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

ranbo das posted:

Excel is great and if my company would pay me to just spreadsheets all day I'd jump on that in a heartbeat

As someone who has only ever worked in the service industry in their life this is what I assume everyone in all those offices are doing all day

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

mobby_6kl posted:

I have literally a dozen spreadsheets open now. Where do I pick up my grotesque salary?
https://youtu.be/wbfu39l0kxg

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

As someone who has only ever worked in the service industry in their life this is what I assume everyone in all those offices are doing all day

Some people also or instead make phone calls

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I gather TPS reports are involved. And people move between sections of the building putting bits of paper in trays and taking them out of other trays.

And phtocopying the paper and then putting them in other trays, sometimes the buildings are linked by fax machines.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

ranbo das posted:

This is what management is my dude

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

When I was young I had no idea why people on tv or in movies, rather than actually working, went into offices and did no work at all and pretended it was a job and that it was exhausting.

Then I got older and learned how silly and narrow-minded that was just because it was outside my experience.

Then I got older and figured out that actually I was right the first time

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I just move stuff from "incoming" to "outgoing" at random. Haven't been found out yet.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Excel is probably one of the most important pieces of software ever written. Whether you think that's good or bad is up to you.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Fool of a Took. That is not how you hadouken.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

OwlFancier posted:

I gather TPS reports are involved. And people move between sections of the building putting bits of paper in trays and taking them out of other trays.

And phtocopying the paper and then putting them in other trays, sometimes the buildings are linked by fax machines.

It's worse.

A technician determines they want a part.
They log in to the System, and submit a work order. This is fully digital, and the System can be accessed by supervisors, technical advisors, ordering clerks, anyone. But...
They print the work order and take it to the control office.
There, someone picks up the piece of paper, logs into the System and looks up the work order they are holding a copy of.
Some sort of magic determines if they agree to send the work order onwards to acquisition.
Eventually that piece of paper, otherwise unchanged, ends up in a tray for Purchasing section.
I take the paper(s) and sort them by priority (or what I feel like dealing with).
I log into the System, and open up the work order again.
Using the information therein I create a Purchase Requisition and print this.
Then its a game of telephoning vendors and bothering technicians for clarification because all they sent me was a paper with "Bolt, Steel, Quantity 4"
Eventually given a quote (also printed) I make up a Purchase Order. This is the only piece that ought to be printed as it is a final contract between us and the vendor that we are buying Thing for Price.
Once the piece is acquired, it needs to be Received- more paperwork in the System. More printing. This also requires a third party to complete so that I cannot 'receive' my own orders.
Then it needs to be Invoiced - yet again using the System.
Finally, I have a package including a printed Quote, Work Order, Requisition, Purchase Order, Receipt Slip, Vendor Invoice, Payment Receipt. All these need multiple signatures. More trays in and out!

That's not even getting into the end of month reconciliation (more printing out paper copies of digital System records) - or random accounting checks we have to do.
Or the fact that they want us to update a redundant list of work orders and their status, despite the System literally doing this - no, we need an external Excel sheet. Nobody reads this though, they just call us (or walk on) to ask where their parts are. Every day.

I am hired by this organization as an electronics and optics technician.

DarkDobe has a new favorite as of 16:06 on Dec 6, 2021

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

It exists to give self-important people a chance to say "pivot table" as often as possible. Amusingly even Wikipedia seems to think it was invented at Lotus in 1986, instead of realizing that a 'pivot *' was already in use in computer science based on mathematics in the 60s or the 20s.

Maybe if we told them, "Yeah you're doing something invented by a mathematician" they'd get scared and stop.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

This sysadmin is eternally glad that not a single Office program is part of the job.

Instead, today I have spent a few hours with this problem:

1. The machine thinks it's August.
2. To update and/or set the time it needs to install additional software
3. The software package is digitally signed
4. It is rejected because the signature is from the future

The software package is booted via the network and is entirely ephemeral, so I need to somehow hack it so that it updates its time and date before any of the other stuff runs, but this is proving to be much more complicated.

I could go into the firmware and manually set the time, but that would be admitting defeat.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Yes, I am being paid for hours of trying to set the time on a clock.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

DarkDobe posted:

It's worse.

A technician determines they want a part.
They log in to the System, and submit a work order. This is fully digital, and the System can be accessed by supervisors, technical advisors, ordering clerks, anyone. But...
They print the work order and take it to the control office.
There, someone picks up the piece of paper, logs into the System and looks up the work order they are holding a copy of.
Some sort of magic determines if they agree to send the work order onwards to acquisition.
Eventually that piece of paper, otherwise unchanged, ends up in a tray for Purchasing section.
I take the paper(s) and sort them by priority (or what I feel like dealing with).
I log into the System, and open up the work order again.
Using the information therein I create a Purchase Requisition and print this.
Then its a game of telephoning vendors and bothering technicians for clarification because all they sent me was a paper with "Bolt, Steel, Quantity 4"
Eventually given a quote (also printed) I make up a Purchase Order. This is the only piece that ought to be printed as it is a final contract between us and the vendor that we are buying Thing for Price.
Once the piece is acquired, it needs to be Received- more paperwork in the System. More printing. This also requires a third party to complete so that I cannot 'receive' my own orders.
Then it needs to be Invoiced - yet again using the System.
Finally, I have a package including a printed Quote, Work Order, Requisition, Purchase Order, Receipt Slip, Vendor Invoice, Payment Receipt. All these need multiple signatures. More trays in and out!

That's not even getting into the end of month reconciliation (more printing out paper copies of digital System records) - or random accounting checks we have to do.
Or the fact that they want us to update a redundant list of work orders and their status, despite the System literally doing this - no, we need an external Excel sheet. Nobody reads this though, they just call us (or walk on) to ask where their parts are. Every day.

I am hired by this organization as an electronics and optics technician.

The stupidest and least efficient possible way to make business occur, except that every time they try to make it better they are unsuccessful at anything except laying off useful people and hiring more useless people

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
kill all programmers

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Programmers should only be allowed to make programs for people smarter than themselves. The moment the programmer starts thinking they know better than their user things start slipping.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Regarde Aduck posted:

kill all programmers

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Antigravitas posted:

Yes, I am being paid for hours of trying to set the time on a clock.

You fool, by setting the date and time back your billed hours will be negative and you'll owe THEM money!

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

"SAND CAN'T THINK" kills me every drat time.

I do Identity and Access Management stuff in AD and Azure. I'm currently in the lull between the end of fiscal year get stuff done rush rush rush slash new fiscal year staff turnover business that happens from September to mid November, and the post new years calendar year staff turnover that'll happen in January, it's mostly wonderful. Lots of getting paid to catch up on my streaming backlog.

CommanderApaul has a new favorite as of 16:56 on Dec 6, 2021

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Data Graham posted:

The stupidest and least efficient possible way to make business occur, except that every time they try to make it better they are unsuccessful at anything except laying off useful people and hiring more useless people

100% this way because we're military therefore not profit driven.
Not efficiency driven either.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

o poo poo removing the profit motive doesn't help, now what

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
https://i.imgur.com/jOUbAiI.mp4