Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Leane looking tuff in that clip. She's a favorite of mine among the minor characters so I'm happy to see her :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

I posted this in the other thread, but I'd thought I'd post it here. I've watched through dozens of reactions/reviews from not book readers, and here are my favorites:

Reactions
  • Everyday Negroes - A bunch of friends chilling and watching a show together
  • Redlaytee - A big fantasy fan who pays a lot of very close attention and makes a ton of theories.
  • pReviewed - A couple of friends, one book reader, one not, who crack a bunch of jokes as they go through.

Review
  • Maidens of the Spear - A book reader asks about a non-booker reader's thoughts about the show. In jokes/terminology gets built, and the episodes are very long with predictions and stuff, so its a ton of fun.
  • Tori Talks - A couple of women who don't really like and consume much fantasy talk about their thoughts.
  • Nerdy Nightly - A couple of fantasy fans talk about their thoughts

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

El Grillo posted:

To be fair, there is definitely something going on, and Rand notices it:

Abruptly the flow of words and the juggling alike stopped. Thom simply snatched the balls from the air and stopped talking. Unnoticed by Rand, Moiraine had joined the listeners. Lan was at her shoulder, though he had to look twice to see the man. For a moment Thom looked at Moiraine sideways, his face and body still except for making the balls disappear into his capacious coat sleeves. Then he bowed to her, holding his cloak wide. “Your pardon, but you are surely not from this district?”
“Lady!” Ewin hissed fiercely. “The Lady Moiraine.”
Thom blinked, then bowed again, more deeply. “Your pardon again ... ah, Lady. I meant no disrespect.”
Moiraine made a small waving-away gesture. “None was perceived, Master Bard. And my name is simply Moiraine. I am indeed a stranger here, a traveler like yourself, far from home and alone. The world can be a dangerous place when one is a stranger.”
“The Lady Moiraine collects stories,” Ewin put in. “Stories about things that happened in the Two Rivers. Though I don’t know what ever happened here to make a story of.”
“I trust you will like my stories, as well ... Moiraine.” Thom watched her with obvious wariness. He looked not best pleased to find her there. Suddenly Rand wondered what sort of entertainment a lady like her might be offered in a city like Baerlon, or Caemlyn. Surely it could not be anything better than a gleeman.
“That is a matter of taste, Master Bard,” Moiraine replied. “Some stories I like, and some I do not.”
Thom’s bow was his deepest yet, bending his long body parallel to the ground. “I assure you, none of my stories will displease. All will please and entertain. And you do me too much honor. I am a simple gleeman; that and nothing more.”
Moiraine answered his bow with a gracious nod. For an instant she seemed even more the lady Ewin had named her, accepting an offering from one of her subjects. Then she turned away, and Lan followed, a wolf heeling a gliding swan. Thom stared after them, bushy brows drawn down, stroking his long mustaches with a knuckle, until they were halfway up the Green. He’s not pleased at all, Rand thought.

Yeah, so the fact that he’s commentating on stuff like what courtly entertainment must be and what Thom is thinking, rather than going “wait wtf”, is the weird part to me. Im slower on the uptake than Ewin lol

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
The Thom/Moiraine talk reminds me of how I was giving a non book-reading friend some background on the various cultures and political approach and how Moiraine's from a country known for its elaborate backstabbing politics. We laughed a little over how the "Game of Houses" name comes off even knowing WoT came before ASOIAF and it makes me wonder if they'll shy from that particular term in the show.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Killer robot posted:

The Thom/Moiraine talk reminds me of how I was giving a non book-reading friend some background on the various cultures and political approach and how Moiraine's from a country known for its elaborate backstabbing politics. We laughed a little over how the "Game of Houses" name comes off even knowing WoT came before ASOIAF and it makes me wonder if they'll shy from that particular term in the show.

I imagine they will drop it, I'm pretty sure they said 'politics' a couple of times already in the last episode. I'm largely in favor of them modernizing the speech. There is a certain charm to the way Jordan characters phrase things in the books, but I think it would sound pretty bad coming out of real people's mouths. I bet that daes'daemar as the formal name for Cairhienin political nonsense does come up though

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Or they keep it, refer to it as Daes Dae'Mar the majority of the time and just translate it to the great political game or something.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

They should call it The Great Dance for extra Aiel irony

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Dance daemar

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Mage_Boy posted:

Or they keep it, refer to it as Daes Dae'Mar the majority of the time and just translate it to the great political game or something.

I think it's also translated or referred to as the Great Game in the books, which at least avoids the Game of _____ issue in viewers minds.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

silvergoose posted:

Dance daemar

Dance Daemar Revolution.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I also want to give a shoutout to the cool black angel-wings imagery Logain has as he's cut off from the Source

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I also want to give a shoutout to the cool black angel-wings imagery Logain has as he's cut off from the Source

Most angels don't have the wings on the front.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Jedit posted:

Maybe not your hallmark channel angels. But proper bible angels are weird as gently caress.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

proper bible angels also involved the basic human ones with wings so i dunno if this analogy fully carries water in anyone's defense

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Jedit posted:

If you're saying show Logain isn't too good for this world, I will balefire your rear end

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

I just remembered the guy who watched the first season of GoT and complained that the woke SJWs (or whatever) at HBO had made Loras gay.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

If you're saying show Logain isn't too good for this world, I will balefire your rear end

You don't win an argument by making it never happen, loser.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Jedit posted:

You don't win an argument by making it never happen, loser.

I have won again

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I have won again

Lose Therin

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Lose Jr.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

According to this article the most VFX shots are in episodes 7 & 8, whoever made a comment about saving budget for a couple huge episodes called it.

Animation Magazine posted:

The first season’s seventh and eighth episodes have the highest number of visual effects shots. “We sat down at the early stages of the production to pick and choose our moments because the last thing that you want are visual effects that aren’t up to par as a result of trying to do too much,” he notes. “Amazon has given the show an incredible budget that lets us when we do something to really go for it and have it be feature film quality.”

https://www.animationmagazine.net/vfx/conjuring-visual-magic-the-wheel-of-time-delivers-an-epic-fantasy-in-vfx/

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

yeah looking hopeful for a good eotw and a tarwin's gap, basically?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i know i briefly made a post about it a day or two ago, not sure offhand who all else might have said it, but yeah. i had a feeling they were saving most of their stuff for 7 and 8 since that's when most of the notable poo poo is going to go down and we get the season 1 finale which they're going to want to hook people with and get them anticipating season 2. stuff like logain's leftovers rushing the aes sedai in the woods is basically nothing compared to what they're going to want to do in later eps.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

I wonder how much critics not getting 7/8 is part of the marketing strategy (big surprise ending that'll generate buzz right around Christmas to drive viewership while people are at home, etc) versus how much it's because it gave them an additional 2 months for final touches. maybe a little of both

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

silvergoose posted:

yeah looking hopeful for a good eotw and a tarwin's gap, basically?

Well we know we get Fal Dara and there was a shot of a huge army of trollocs coming into the gap as well as another shot of Rand and Moiraine heading into the blight so :shrug:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Hexel posted:

Well we know we get Fal Dara and there was a shot of a huge army of trollocs coming into the gap as well as another shot of Rand and Moiraine heading into the blight so :shrug:

wow they managed to salvage a camera from a stasis box??

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Looks like some season 2 casting was announced: https://deadline.com/2021/12/the-wheel-of-time-season-2-recurring-cast-guy-roberts-gregg-chillingirian-1234885579/

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Roberts plays Uno Nomeshta, a gruff one-eyed soldier and tracker who serves Lord Agelmar. Fedaravicius
plays Mesema, a quiet and intense warrior who serves Lord Agelmar. Chillingirian portrays Ingtar Shinowa, a lord and soldier from war-ravaged lands.

I don't care if they misspelled Masema's name in the article. INGTAR!!!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

The light, and Shinowa!

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

silvergoose posted:

The light, and Shinowa!

Man I can't loving wait for this scene.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Yyyess, Ingtar

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The guy playing masema certainly has some big David koresh vibes

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Inspector 34 posted:

I liked episode 5 just fine. It wasn't as good as episode 4 but that's ok.

However. I'm still stuck on the lovely little nerf axes they gave Stepin in episode 4. And really just the weapons in general, not that they've really been highlighted so far or anything. Jesus those axes did not scream, "this guy is a badass you should care about him!" it was more like, "hey you guys wanna watch me cosplay? No? Oh, alright."

1000x this. Just absolute dogshit props.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Inspector 34 posted:

I liked episode 5 just fine. It wasn't as good as episode 4 but that's ok.

However. I'm still stuck on the lovely little nerf axes they gave Stepin in episode 4. And really just the weapons in general, not that they've really been highlighted so far or anything. Jesus those axes did not scream, "this guy is a badass you should care about him!" it was more like, "hey you guys wanna watch me cosplay? No? Oh, alright."

Yeah Stepin's axes were very clearly designed by a costume designer not anyone who'd ever actually made weapons.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

silvergoose posted:

Roberts plays Uno Nomeshta, a gruff one-eyed soldier and tracker who serves Lord Agelmar.

No Hurin :(

Better be extra swears

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
They made Masema hot what the fuuuck

But who cares Ingtar confirmed :hellyeah:

Gonna be interesting to see how they do Fal Dara in S1 without any of the Shienaran character

eke out posted:

I wonder how much critics not getting 7/8 is part of the marketing strategy (big surprise ending that'll generate buzz right around Christmas to drive viewership while people are at home, etc) versus how much it's because it gave them an additional 2 months for final touches. maybe a little of both

It's standard practice for streaming shows to not give reviewers the full season. Even giving them 75% of the episodes is more than most shows do

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Rarity posted:

Everyone's hot in WOT no exceptions.

Even the Durance character. The hotness just enhances the crazy.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Rarity posted:

But who cares Ingtar confirmed :hellyeah:

Gonna be interesting to see how they do Fal Dara in S1 without any of the Shienaran character

Yeah, that was my thought as well

Maybe they'll just have them already off getting ready for the battle in Tarwin's gap

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

This is Amalisa and Agelmar

https://twitter.com/TheWheelOfTime/status/1467942396872724482

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Rarity posted:

I'm assuming they keep trying to stay under the radar, so they stick to inns and stuff.