Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
Yeah when the musical really started gaining traction I was definitely one of those people who conflated it with Love, Simon and assumed it was a coming out story. I'm guessing it was the fact they were both A Thing around the same time and had "letter to some dude"-inspired titles

Edit: I see why video essayists have trended towards longer videos but frankly it's hard for me to pay attention to most of them save for like, Jenny and hbomb. I'm not sure what makes their videos easier to digest versus people like Sarah Z, Lola or Quinton though

Blood Nightmaster fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Dec 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Editing

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
The thing with Sarah's videos that messes with it is that because she sits right in front of a window, you can just see it getting darker as the video progresses until its the middle of the night suddenly. It makes it feel like it takes longer than it does, if anything.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

fun hater posted:

i also thought it was about a sad gay kid
I've not watched the video yet and I'm kind of reluctant to do so at this point if it's really gonna do the thing that y'all are saying it's doing, so I don't know if Sarah talks about this, but another reason that this impression might have spread around might be from how intertwined the show and the titular character are with Ben Platt, who came out as a gay man around the time the show got really big.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

BrianWilly posted:

I've not watched the video yet and I'm kind of reluctant to do so at this point if it's really gonna do the thing that y'all are saying it's doing, so I don't know if Sarah talks about this, but another reason that this impression might have spread around might be from how intertwined the show and the titular character are with Ben Platt, who came out as a gay man around the time the show got really big.
She also mentions that.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Grondoth posted:

She starts off talking about how it got popular with teens cause of gay shipping and how she thinks it might've been unfairly maligned because of it, which is just a bad Sarah Z indicator.

Sarah Z's video is about musical adaptations using Dear Evan Hansen as a case study (which she explicitly states in the conclusion).

There really isn't much about fan culture (or the misconceptions about the plot) beyond a few brief sections.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Blood Nightmaster posted:

Edit: I see why video essayists have trended towards longer videos but frankly it's hard for me to pay attention to most of them save for like, Jenny and hbomb. I'm not sure what makes their videos easier to digest versus people like Sarah Z, Lola or Quinton though

I think the digressions and jokes hbomb and Jenny put in their videos make them more interesting to actively watch. Sarah's videos I don't mind listening to in the background as I'm doing other things, but it's primarily her talking at the camera for most of it so there's no reason to be looking directly at the video.

BrianWilly posted:

She does mention that. Sarah's video is fine, but if you want a shorter breakdown of Dear Evan Hansen's video, Jenny's video will satisfy all your needs. I guess you could also go listen to Sideways' video on Into the Woods a bit, too, since Sarah Z also brings up the Into the Woods movie as far as adaption failures. Or Sideways' video on Cats.

Actually just go watch any given Sideways video on musicals they're all great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9b6OEjF4s1M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3aK-EK5V2k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6j-562xQSs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ikqU6G6Xgs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX0gZY9VKlM

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I refuse to watch any video whose title makes assumptions about how I feel.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

You feel nothing, Ghostlight, you feel nothing.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

Here's Why You're Wrong

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

James from Dead Meat announced that starting in 2022 they're taking a 6 month break at least, due to being burnt out from the weekly+ content.

They are having someone else step in for some episodes, but I hope the backlash to them isn't too bad, since regardless of how good they are generally audiences don't take replacement people well.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Ghostlight posted:

I give you permission to just watch the more polite and neutrally named Into the Woods video from Sideways then.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Dan Olson is being an rear end in a top hat bragging about how his big following let's him wreck people on twitter
https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/1467677588915113993?t=KVrREHg8KC_uzfTJhv2Y5Q&s=19

Which is at best tonedeaf, but considering he has lied about people to fuel harassment of them, it's pretty horrible.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

fun hater posted:

i also thought it was about a sad gay kid

https://www.advocate.com/books/2019/1/31/dear-evan-hansen-novel-queer-ghost-comes-out-and-saves-lives

There is actually a novelization of Dear Evan Hansen, in which it is revealed that the dead kid was a sad gay, and he gets to hang out as a ghost and provide ongoing commentary on the events, even going so far as to save people's lives with his ghostly powers.

In the Dear Evan Hansen Novel, a Queer Ghost Comes Out and Saves Lives posted:

But perhaps most significantly, the novel gives Connor — whose role in the musical is more of an inciting incident than a major character — a fully realized voice. Throughout the story, Connor's ghost lingers to observe how the living respond to his death. Full chapters of the book, written in the first person, are devoted to Connor's commentary as well as the memories of events that led to his suicide. His presence leads the story into supernatural territory. A shadowy figure is seen from a window; later, an unseen force wills a character out of harm's way.
The Dear Evan Hansen novel moves its queer themes into the light. It (spoilers ahead) reveals that Connor did indeed have a secret relationship — although it was not with Evan. "I basically spent my whole life alone. Until I met Miguel," Connor recounts in remembrance of a classmate from boarding school, adding, "He was the first person I'd known who was openly and proudly gay. (I was somewhere in between. Fluid. The way I thought about both girls and guys. Back then, I had only begun to put those thoughts into action.)"

I can't believe Jenny managed to miss this.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Dec 6, 2021

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Lotus Aura posted:

The thing with Sarah's videos that messes with it is that because she sits right in front of a window, you can just see it getting darker as the video progresses until its the middle of the night suddenly. It makes it feel like it takes longer than it does, if anything.

I'm always kind of amazed to learn people actually earnestly sit down and watch those overly long video essays instead of just letting them run in the background like an audio play. I'd never notice poo poo like this.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Antigravitas posted:

Apropros of nothing:

Watching Cities Skylines youtubers is relaxing as hell. Half of them are at a Bob Ross level of painting cities.

the other half are RTgame

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

a happy little meteor. let's give him a friend.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SimonChris posted:

https://www.advocate.com/books/2019/1/31/dear-evan-hansen-novel-queer-ghost-comes-out-and-saves-lives

There is actually a novelization of Dear Evan Hansen, in which it is revealed that the dead kid was a sad gay, and he gets to hang out as a ghost and provide ongoing commentary on the events, even going so far as to save people's lives with his ghostly powers.

I can't believe Jenny managed to miss this.

Wow, I can't believe someone managed to make Dear Evan Hansen even worse :stare:

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Libluini posted:

I'm always kind of amazed to learn people actually earnestly sit down and watch those overly long video essays instead of just letting them run in the background like an audio play. I'd never notice poo poo like this.

Yeah thats how I do it too.
But to be fair, I do it for a lot of content creators at times.. people like Thoughtslime and Quinton but also visually intensive youtubers like Defunctland and some Jenny videos.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

Zetsubou-san posted:

the other half are RTgame

I can never hear the song "Take Me Home, Country Roads" again without envisioning a Cities Skylines playthrough in utter chaos

It's truly a blursed channel

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Blood Nightmaster posted:

I can never hear the song "Take Me Home, Country Roads" again without envisioning a Cities Skylines playthrough in utter chaos

It's truly a blursed channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFGglXjZ4vc

But what else are you going to play as you flood the world in poo poo from a Poopcano? :confused:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZnBF_1MP7Y
The animated version is also very good.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Libluini posted:

If I made extremely long video essays, at some point in every video I'd just do a Fight Club and slip a like one millionth frame of a butt in there somewhere different each time. All my real fans know the cheek timestamps. :v:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

bobjr posted:

James from Dead Meat announced that starting in 2022 they're taking a 6 month break at least, due to being burnt out from the weekly+ content.

They are having someone else step in for some episodes, but I hope the backlash to them isn't too bad, since regardless of how good they are generally audiences don't take replacement people well.

Interesting. James is on record as the last time he took, I think it was, just a month break it hit the channel hard thanks to The Algorithm demanding a constant conveyor belt of souls and sacrifice to keep your videos being noticed.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dead Meat has had to have made "can live comfortably if I quit tomorrow" money by now.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

i read a few accounts that he was also a nightmarish prima donna as a director, but there's no way i could find them now

I've never been able to find it again, but I distinctly remember reading an interview in which Levine said he referred to crunch as, "crunchy-crunchy."

The rage that sparked left quite an impression on me.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Groovelord Neato posted:

Dead Meat has had to have made "can live comfortably if I quit tomorrow" money by now.

James gives the impression they're still on the hustle.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

The funniest thing about Bioshock Infinite is that after years of fever-pitch hype, just three months later it was utterly and completely overshadowed in everything it attempted to do technically and emotionally by the then relatively unanticipated The Last Of Us. Like, Bioshock had all this talk about the incredible technology to have Elizabeth as an AI hanging around with you, and then immediately afterwards Ellie (almost the same name, even!) is quietly a hundred times more impressive.

Also, it's funny that Bioshock 2 has this reputation as the secret best Bioshock (in classic hipster style, the best one is the one YOU didn't play), when it is easily the most centrist Bioshock. The entire point of the game is to say "oh, did you think atheistic libertarianism was bad? Well guess what: religious communism is also bad."

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Bioshock 2's story beats are hot garbage from a butt but the gameplay is such a nice evolution of the first's, makes it easier to turn the brain off whenever people start talking at you.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I completely bounced off of Bioshock games so the only thing I remember from Bioshock Infinite are the memes and this CliffyB tweet

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Hel posted:

Dan Olson is being an rear end in a top hat bragging about how his big following let's him wreck people on twitter
https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/1467677588915113993?t=KVrREHg8KC_uzfTJhv2Y5Q&s=19

Which is at best tonedeaf, but considering he has lied about people to fuel harassment of them, it's pretty horrible.

If the comments are believed he did so pretty recently too

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Comrade Fakename posted:

Also, it's funny that Bioshock 2 has this reputation as the secret best Bioshock (in classic hipster style, the best one is the one YOU didn't play), when it is easily the most centrist Bioshock. The entire point of the game is to say "oh, did you think atheistic libertarianism was bad? Well guess what: religious communism is also bad."

I've never heard Bioshock 2 held up as the good story one, just the best gameplay. The story thing is all on Minerva's Den, a DLC that prototyped an entire genre by going "what if we used the audio logs, ambient world building, and exploring this weird world for purposes of narrative over SICK COMBAT EVENTS NON-STOP BETWEEN CUTSCENES".

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpiLYgEyh38
Dog's Must Die reaches the most important episode of Part 4

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

McCloud posted:

If the comments are believed he did so pretty recently too

https://twitter.com/MinCorpPixel/status/1467928330309677059?s=20

So I remember this drama; the tweet he's referring to did not mention black people at all, just saying "Wow this is extremely hosed up to write" with the description of orcs.

https://twitter.com/MonkipiQuinn/status/1254197453957459968?s=20

That being said... it's not like he directed people to this guy or even quote tweeted him. He just subtweeted something dumb about what was going on and some people joined what was already a pileon. idk

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
German Youtuber Ultrafilter did a Journalism and wrote some code to map connections between channels on Youtube. If you speak German, watch that video. It is really, really good.

He also released the cluster graph.

It analyses subscriptions of channels and mentions on their about page on youtube and clusters channels that have more subscriber overlap. Starting at a list of a bunch of conspiracy channels.

Colours:
Red: English content
Green: German content
Grey: English/German fitness and whatnot
Violet on the left next to red: Cooking stuff, the colour gets crushed when resized

Purple: German language conspiracy content

(I resized it from its native 10240x10240 due to certain size constrains)

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

jackofarcades posted:

https://twitter.com/MinCorpPixel/status/1467928330309677059?s=20

So I remember this drama; the tweet he's referring to did not mention black people at all, just saying "Wow this is extremely hosed up to write" with the description of orcs.

https://twitter.com/MonkipiQuinn/status/1254197453957459968?s=20

That being said... it's not like he directed people to this guy or even quote tweeted him. He just subtweeted something dumb about what was going on and some people joined what was already a pileon. idk

We are all way too online to claim that QTing someone and saying "Get them" is the only way to add to the harassment of someone. Especially when someone has been around for as long as Dan and really should know how people on the internet react.
When you are the biggest account talking about someone already getting pileons from racists and D&D fanatics for daring to claim it might not be perfect, lying about what they said so you can claim what they actually said for your own, is still really loving awful and harmful.

Antigravitas posted:

German Youtuber Ultrafilter did a Journalism and wrote some code to map connections between channels on Youtube. If you speak German, watch that video. It is really, really good.

He also released the cluster graph.

It analyses subscriptions of channels and mentions on their about page on youtube and clusters channels that have more subscriber overlap. Starting at a list of a bunch of conspiracy channels.

Colours:
Red: English content
Green: German content
Grey: English/German fitness and whatnot
Violet on the left next to red: Cooking stuff, the colour gets crushed when resized

Purple: German language conspiracy content

(I resized it from its native 10240x10240 due to certain size constrains)

My German is only good enough to survive as a tourist or buy retrogames off the internet, but maybe I should take the time to muddle through this since it seems pretty interesting.

Does anyone else have some good non-english language stuff, sure the audience here might be smaller, but it's still pretty interesting.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

jackofarcades posted:

To be um... unfair? it was a bizarre misread of the tweet, especially considering that Dan has done videos involving orcs and knocking down the same bullshit "It's just fiction bro!!!/Excuse me if you look deeply at the lore you will find this makes perfect sense in-universe and be ashamed of your words and deeds!!!" that people harassing MonkipiQuinn kept farting out.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Hel posted:

Does anyone else have some good non-english language stuff, sure the audience here might be smaller, but it's still pretty interesting.

Have you heard of Arte? :sun:
They are expanding into more and more languages and their content is great. And if you tire of their documentaries (which can be genuinely harrowing and draining) they have a docu series of European traditional food.
(though it's better to watch on arte.tv due to Youtube's censorship)

The German youtube space is a bit weird (and frankly I hate most of it). You have the usual crap aimed explicitly at building and exploiting parasocial relationships.

Most of the good content is at least partially funded by public broadcasters. So Mailab (https://www.youtube.com/c/maiLab/videos) is genuinely good content, but if you look in the about page it's affiliated with Funk, which is a content network out of a cooperation of two German broadcasters. Kurzgesagt is the same – good content, affiliated with Funk. Funk is funded with 45 million € a year. (pocket change, basically)

And then you look at the Funk website and see the list of channels: https://www.funk.net/channel/

A lot of channels on that list existed before. Rocket Beans for example, who do gaming stuff. They have cameos in some German games (The dead roleplaying group in Elex is voiced by them)

There's STRG_F (https://www.youtube.com/c/STRGF/videos), a small team of reporters doing investigative journalism on youtube.

Dito Y-Kollektiv (https://www.youtube.com/c/ykollektiv/videos)

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Related: The Green Reich

English subtitles are accurate.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Nuns with Guns posted:

To be um... unfair? it was a bizarre misread of the tweet, especially considering that Dan has done videos involving orcs and knocking down the same bullshit "It's just fiction bro!!!/Excuse me if you look deeply at the lore you will find this makes perfect sense in-universe and be ashamed of your words and deeds!!!" that people harassing MonkipiQuinn kept farting out.

It seems like you're misreading Dan's tweet. It seems pretty clear that he is making fun of the people dunking on the person and trying to defend what is clearly a very cringe description (in a long line of very cringe D&D descriptions).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I think Dan just disagreed with the reading and you can judge that on its own merits (something something not everything is an allegory the NA educational system broke your brains), people just really wanna Get 'Em On Twitter.