Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Mass Effect 1 can look a little rough around the edges but in terms of what else existed back in 2007 you could do a whole lot worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Zurtilik posted:

I feel like Dragon Age Origins felt like a 5 year old game when it was new. It always seemed clunky to me and I bounce off every time I try to get into it.

I enjoyed Dragon Age Origins enough to make an LP for it back on the Cracked Forums. The adventures of Dwarf Warrior Tiffany and his gigantic nose will never go unforgotten.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

Mass Effect 1 can look a little rough around the edges but in terms of what else existed back in 2007 you could do a whole lot worse.

i feel like you could say that about dragon age 1 too though

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

exquisite tea posted:

the witcher

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

I just looked up the graphics for that game and wow does Geralt ever look like a fishman.

"I'm a Fishtcher"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Oh lord does that game look bad.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

you know i think the single thing that buoyed bioware rpgs up with a fanatic fanbase for a solid ten years straight was the unique gameplay mechanic of "what if you could gently caress the npcs in your party"

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

like the most die hard mass effect fans never want to talk about the shooting or the mechanics they just want to know what aliens you hosed and let you know what aliens they hosed

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Cowcaster posted:

you know i think the single thing that buoyed bioware rpgs up with a fanatic fanbase for a solid ten years straight was the unique gameplay mechanic of "what if you could gently caress the npcs in your party"

the witcher once again ahead of the curve, turning banging npc's into a collectible card game

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
though somehow that's less creepy than what bioware did

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Images of the Bioware forum flash in my mind, my face collapsing in on itself

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I guess this is as good a place as any for this question: I'm using an HDMI cable to play on my TV. When I use the laptop's screen, the games run fine, but if I'm using both screens at once (displaying the same image) or the TV screen only, the performance takes a hit and there's a bit of input lag. I have an RTX 3060, I never set the resolution to anything above 1080, and the TV doesn't support HDMI 2.1. The laptop screen is 144hz. Anyone know what I can do to fix this?

vv Thanks

Spermando fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 6, 2021

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Spermando posted:

I guess this is as good a place as any for this question: I'm using an HDMI cable to play on my TV. When I use the laptop's screen, the games run fine, but if I'm using both screens at once (displaying the same image) or the TV screen only, the performance takes a hit and there's a bit of input lag. I have an RTX 3060, I never set the resolution to anything above 1080, and the TV doesn't support HDMI 2.1. The laptop screen is 144hz. Anyone know what I can do to fix this?

For the input lag, make sure the TV is in game mode if there is one. If there isn't, I'd disable any of the TV's processing options that you can. For performance, you probably want to check what refresh rate you've got selected for the TV in your graphics control panel. Sometimes they default to 30 which feels really choppy. You'll probably also want to check that the HDMI port on the laptop uses the discreet GPU instead of the integrated one. I don't know why it wouldn't, but I guess it's a possibility.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

I enjoyed the first Witcher a lot in the year 2016. I mean, it's got a lot of jank but still fun.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

This is the only Halo review I needed. The guns are good and the world looks like it has some solid gently caress around potential. Sounds fun.

https://twitter.com/MintBlitz/status/1467839509291167744

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Xanderkish posted:

I just looked up the graphics for that game and wow does Geralt ever look like a fishman.

"I'm a Fishtcher"

wasnt this basically a standalone mod for Neverwinter Nights 2

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Yeah.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Zurtilik posted:

I feel like Dragon Age Origins felt like a 5 year old game when it was new. It always seemed clunky to me and I bounce off every time I try to get into it.

DA:O was kind of deliberately marketed this way (when it wasn't being marketed with an inexplicable Marilyn Manson trailer) as something of a throwback to the Bauldurs Gate/Icewind Dale RT+P games. I hate RT+P so I sort of tolerated Origins but never thought it was like, hideous.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Xanderkish posted:

"I'm a Fishtcher"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-egGn5WYrk

one of the best loved game series of all time

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

is the video clip you posted supposed to contradict that?

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Honestly knowing that makes it 1,000 times more impressive.

My favorite Witcher is 2. I think Witcher works better as a less open Fable like game instead of a weird Ubisoft 'open world' game. But most of the world seems to disagree with me on that so. :shrug:

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

DA:O was kind of deliberately marketed this way (when it wasn't being marketed with an inexplicable Marilyn Manson trailer) as something of a throwback to the Bauldurs Gate/Icewind Dale RT+P games. I hate RT+P so I sort of tolerated Origins but never thought it was like, hideous.

Yeah, putting aside the ridiculous marketing, the context for DA:O was that it was released in the middle of the great rpg drought. For whatever reason, the industry consensus at the time was that grand isometric party-based rpgs with tactical combat didn’t sell. So DA:O was a BIG DEAL at the time because a decent amount of people still wanted to play that kind of game even if the industry didn’t want to make one.

The graphics were a weird compromise and my best guess is that they had to allow for third-person action gaming because the suits didn’t think anybody would want to zoom out and press the pause button to give commands. It would have been better had they committed to just one of the two play modes.

No judgement on which style people prefer, I’ve played through with both.

For all that, it was pretty good at the time and I still think the different Origins are a great way of grounding the player in the world without a truckload of exposition bullshit.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 6, 2021

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I wonder if I would've been more open to it had I not expected something more on par with Mass Effect fluidity. (Not that Mass Effect doesn't have clunkiness.) Like if it were another studio that developed it I would've been more open minded, maybe?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Zurtilik posted:

Honestly knowing that makes it 1,000 times more impressive.

My favorite Witcher is 2. I think Witcher works better as a less open Fable like game instead of a weird Ubisoft 'open world' game. But most of the world seems to disagree with me on that so. :shrug:

I'm *kind of* with you on that. Witcher 3 is obviously the most impressive, has a great story (though all of them do, for their times), and a gorgeous world, but said open world is ultimately lacking in terms of gameplay mechanics, and the combat is too mediocre to stay engaging for what's a very long game. I also think I preferred the swordplay in 2 as well. Still, an excellent coda for the series, and of course the DLC is also excellent, albeit more of the same.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I never actually played DA:O because of how generic it looked. I was always disappointed they didn't go with the original, vaguely Arabian stylings.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Mordja posted:

Witcher 3 is obviously the most impressive, has a great story (though all of them do, for their times), and a gorgeous world, but said open world is ultimately lacking in terms of gameplay mechanics, and the combat is too mediocre to stay engaging for what's a very long game.

I never ended up finishing the Witcher 3 for precisely that reason. I just hate grinding and busywork in games.

At least the trees were nice, if suspiciously bendy.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Neverwinter Nights 1, if memory serves,

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

It was the Aurora engine, which was first built for NWN1 but the upgraded version they used for NWN2 is what CD Projekt Red worked with to make the first Witcher, basically rewriting the renderer and forcing an over-the-shoulder camera into the mold in the process.

ed: oh poo poo, I guess it WAS Aurora, not Electron. Gross.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 6, 2021

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Cowcaster posted:

like the most die hard mass effect fans never want to talk about the shooting or the mechanics they just want to know what aliens you hosed and let you know what aliens they hosed

and? :colbert:

Spermando posted:

vv Thanks

In addition to what they said don't forget to use vsync, and if there is no vsync then definitely set the frame limit to 60 (or whatever your TV can do, it's probably 60 unless it's some kind of special model).

Hopefully that does something about the input lag, I play exclusively on my TV through my PC and I don't get that issue but it could be related to frame timing maybe?

chglcu posted:

I wish it let you lock on a target. It’s annoying not being able to keep track of a single enemy when you’ve got 5+ identical icons floating around the hud. Not sure how much more of a chance I’m going to give the game. Drifting sucks, the combat is frustrating due to lack of information and the constant inner monologue is annoying as gently caress. All that’s keeping me going right now is wanting to explore pretty outer space stuff.

I mean, just keep the enemy in sight and you'll know which one it is, you can also tell them apart by if they're damaged or have their shields removed. Sure I might lose track of one occasionally but that's okay, I'll get to them eventually. Just kill some other guys until they show up again.

Not that I'm not sympathetic to you not liking it, there's nothing that everyone in the world is gonna love.

exquisite tea posted:

I am relieved that no other side missions in the game (~11 hours in) have involved racing.

I'm actually kind of disappointed to hear that, I liked the racing mission!

There are still some where you have to follow a certain ship but I liked the checkpoint style race quite a lot and feel like there was more potential there for low-effort side missions that would still be fun. They kind of give you an idea of the geography of the area.

chglcu posted:

How much is drifting required once I’m out of this asteroid, because I absolutely loving hate it?

You'll grow to love drifting in combat, it's one of the best abilities you have allowing you to drift over targets destroying them while they have trouble targeting you, and also allows you to change direction faster than any other way which is great if an enemy gets behind you.

As far as the puzzles that require drifting in the temple, I haven't seen those again and they were kind of annoying. I will admit I also had some trouble on the last one, took me probably 8 to 10 tries to get it right. The trick is to get the right amount of speed, it's possible to have too much, you only want to boost for a moment or two before going into the drift and lining yourself up with the first crystal. You can also turn several different ways you don't have to do it the exact way it has in the example.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Sylphosaurus posted:

Neverwinter Nights 1, if memory serves,

Yup

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I cut off that french lady's head in dao

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

marie antoinette?

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Witcher 1 being NWN based was so weird. It even has 2 topdown camera modes I assume no one ever really used. Environments and style were very pretty though and kinda impressive in regards to the engine.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Xanderkish posted:

I enjoyed Dragon Age Origins enough to make an LP for it back on the Cracked Forums. The adventures of Dwarf Warrior Tiffany and his gigantic nose will never go unforgotten.

Dao really benefits from reading the lore popups the moment you get them, I think there's a hotkey. The fragments are placed so you get a solid story if you do that (you will feel like a nerd, but come now)

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

Bethesda has the same effect but instead of loving aliens it's just like, some nebulous thing that no one can describe. I never tell anyone that I like or play videogames at work because one time I commented on a colleague's fallout hoodie and in the resulting conversation they told me that Fallout 3 is the best game of all time, Fallout 4 is a close second, they never played the first two and don't want to, and they don't understand why people like New Vegas. The only reason they could give for why is because Fallout 3 and 4 had "really great characters" but they had nothing to say about literally any other part of it. Has anyone ever been able to explain what they like about Skyrim without being factually wrong or saying things like "buh-bah-dragons!" in toddler speak?

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Dec 6, 2021

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

deep dish peat moss posted:

I never tell anyone that I like or play videogames at work because one time I commented on a colleague's fallout hoodie and in the resulting conversation they told me that Fallout 3 is the best game of all time, Fallout 4 is a close second, they never played the first two and don't want to, and they don't understand why people like New Vegas. The only reason they could give for why is because Fallout 3 and 4 had "really great characters" but they had nothing to say about literally any other part of it

a rough lesson to learn but worth knowing

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

deep dish peat moss posted:

Has anyone ever been able to explain what they like about Skyrim without being factually wrong or saying things like "buh-bah-dragons!" in toddler speak?

I like Bethesda games because the games do their own special thing in weird ways with dumb consequences.

In Oblivion I stole an entire castle's silverware while crouching in plain sight and sold it to a fence who then awkwardly crouch-walked over to a table and stole one apple. Three guards burst through the door and stabbed the fence to death.

Skyrim was more of the same, except the npcs were a little less dumb but I could also ragdoll people with my voice.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

I don't think anybody else is doing weird-rear end systems driven open world games like Bethesda even if their execution or writing aren't the greatest.

Also drat is the AAA FPS field really so narrow we're down to comparing Halo to Doom Eternal?

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 6, 2021

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

hows borderlands 3 if im playing solo with the music/voices turned down while listening to a podcast?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Kly posted:

hows borderlands 3 if im playing solo with the music/voices turned down while listening to a podcast?
Good. The character skills are fun and there's decent droprates on unique weapons so you change your loadout pretty frequently. Map design is rear end but that was never the series' strong point.