Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nenonen)
What should the presidential powers be in 2020?
This poll is closed.
UNLIMITED!!!! URKKI 2.0!!!!!! 3 23.08%
Sauli should be allowed to telecast to our homes whenever he pleases, but that should be the limit. 2 15.38%
He should be limited to writing mildly worded letters to HBL and other provincial newspapers. 2 15.38%
None. More power to Sanna & Katri & Maria & Li & Anna-Maja & Jenni! 2 15.38%
Unlimited, but every decision must be subject to a plebiscite. 0 0%
None, but the president's life must be video streamed 24 /7 for the duration of their term, with no censorship. 4 30.77%
Total: 13 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

This is a literal nothingburger.

How dare she go drinking? -> meh, bars are open for people with coronapass.
After possibly being exposed to Covid -> 2 vaccines and no symptoms means no Covid restrictions
She left without her official phone -> she had her Eduskunta-phone with her.
She left without her other ministerial phone -> arghlebarglebarf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Oh yeah for sure it's all Russia-driven Iltapaska poo poo.

But still she's kinda dumb.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
As a mother of a young child, she shouldn't be drinking in bars. That's her actual crime.

fart_man_69
May 18, 2009
I love that Yle is calling this a crisis. Nuke the loving media

Qtamo
Oct 7, 2012
Even better than the whole "going to the bar" case is the IL-SHOCKINGNEWS about her being in a photo together with Janne Raninen, a twice-sentenced murderer! Like uhhh, sure, yeah, the dude was at the party as the avec for his partner, and yeah, he's a murderer, and they were in a picture together. But the murders date to 1998 and 2003, and he's been on parole from March, so he's mostly paid his dues and could even become a decent example of prison rehabilitating someone. Not to even mention that both of the murders were pretty much hit jobs between criminals, so I wouldn't exactly call Raninen a similar risk as some "vedin kännit ja ammuin kaverin" -type. Of course, Finnish twitter and reddit are basically going "WELL IF BEING PICTURED WITH NAZIS MAKES ONE A NAZI DOES THIS MAKE MARIN A MURDERER" :dumbbravo:

Like, it's such a loving nonstarter that it'd be a brilliant play made in advance to cover Marin's bar trip, if it all wasn't so obviously just a really dumb coincidence. Then again, considering what happened to Kanerva back in the day, it'd be really appropriate for this all to escalate and somehow end up with Marin resigning, not because of the bar thing, but because of the picture.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

:finland: Hyvää itsaria kaikille gooneille! :finland:

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

It's not that she did a dumb-dumb, those are easily forgotten in politics, it's that she was dumb and careless and made a mistake she could have pretty dang easily avoided. You don't get to screw up like that as a PM, young or not, woman or not.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

Metanaut posted:

I don't understand how we have had ministers kicked out for sending a text message

Can you trust the abilities of a man who is begging pussy from Johanna Tukiainen?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

barbecue at the folks posted:

You don't get to screw up like that as a PM, young or not, woman or not.

you obviously do though

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Things which are okay for PMs to do:
- Pettää kepuishly, cut education after pledging not to, gently caress the poor, etc.

Things which are not okay for PMs to do:
- PR blunders
- Using ateriaetu

Stubb Dogg
Feb 16, 2007

loskat naamalle

Metanaut posted:

I don't understand how we have had ministers kicked out for sending a text message, but she can keep loving up on a weekly basis on this level.
He never got kicked out due to sexting with random women, he’s been doing that for decades and is infamous for it.

He got kicked out when he lied to PM Katainen about whether there’s more of that stuff coming out, and of course there was.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

barbecue at the folks posted:

It's not that she did a dumb-dumb, those are easily forgotten in politics, it's that she was dumb and careless and made a mistake she could have pretty dang easily avoided. You don't get to screw up like that as a PM, young or not, woman or not.

Except if you're also an old man.

matti
Mar 31, 2019

erinomainen je ne sais quoi tässä

matti
Mar 31, 2019

anyway, marin did nothing wrong

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008
How provincial, real valtiomiehet like US presidents like to pose with serial child abusers

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If I looked like that murderer, I wouldn't want anyone to take a picture of me.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Also I'm the soufflé-head in the background.

matti
Mar 31, 2019

Marinin Hurja Viikonloppu ois kyllä hyvä bändin nimi

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

matti posted:

Marinin Hurja Viikonloppu ois kyllä hyvä bändin nimi

Päämisterin Paavikänni + Kaikkosen Kailjareissu

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Also I'm the soufflé-head in the background.

That's the host of the party yo.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

matti posted:

Marinin Hurja Viikonloppu

Se julkaisee KAKSI Amigajuttua C-lehdessä.

(Tämä oli tämmöinen SYVÄ VIILTO.)

DanTheFryingPan posted:

That's the host of the party yo.

OK I hosted the party.

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb
https://twitter.com/JanneRaninen/status/1468589415689818121
https://twitter.com/MikaelJungner/status/1468833457409302528

Itekin myöntävät että keksivät vaan jälkikäteen sääntöjä mitä vain Marinin eikä kenenkään muun olisi tarvinnut noudattaa.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Is it true that your prime minister has a cat fursona?!

https://twitter.com/Synthimers/status/1468709114792620034

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Toisaalta, kyseessä lienee rölli, mutta toisaalta, kaveri lukee sanat "suomalainen neloskanava" ja tulee kyselemään onko tämä totta

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Disappointed to see we're judging strong female leaders that dance in the cutest way.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Judakel posted:

Disappointed to see we're judging strong female leaders that dance in the cutest way.

To be fair,

Yleisradio posted:

Pääministeri Sanna Marin (sd.) ja valtioneuvoston kanslia ovat selvittäneet oikeuskanslerille toimiaan pääministerin Kesärannan virka-asunnon ateriahankinnoissa.

Pääministerin yksityisiin aterioihin käytettiin vajaan puolentoista vuoden aikana valtion varoja yhteensä runsaat 14 000 euroa. Kanslian selvityksen mukaan aiemmille pääministereille hankittiin aterioita korkeintaan noin 2 500 eurolla.

[...]

Matti Vanhanen (kesk.) ei pääministeriaikanaan asunut Kesärannassa eikä juuri hyödyntänyt aamiais- tai päivällispalveluita satunnaisten yöpymisten aikana.

Mari Kiviniemen (kesk.) perheelle toimittiin aamiaistarvikkeita sekä kylmiä aterioita. Summista ei selvityksen mukaan ole luotettavaa tietoa jäljellä.

Jyrki Kataisen (kok.) perheelle toimitettiin aterioita yhteensä 2 465 eurolla.

Alexander Stubb (kok.) ei asunut Kesärannassa. Hän yöpyi virka-asunnossa kaksi kertaa ilman ateriapalveluja.

Juha Sipilä (kesk.) ei asunut Kesärannassa ja yöpyi siellä satunnaisesti ilman palveluita. Vuonna 2019 hänelle hankittiin aterioita 185 eurolla.

Antti Rinne (sd.) ei asunut Kesärannassa. Hänelläkin oli selvityksen mukaan vain satunnaisia yöpymisiä, joista kahteen hankittiin ateriapalveluita yhteensä 126 eurolla. Summa laskutettiin häneltä.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
That whole thing is so silly. Turns out most prime ministers don't use their meal benefit at the official residence because they choose not to live there, and now suddenly this makes a standard that it's wrong to use it. (At least too much? Where "too much" is defined retroactively.) Surely if it's decided it costs too much it's merely a question of having the employer put a cap on it or end the benefit instead of blaming the employee for using what they're given.

This is fundamentally a question of "Is the PM paid too much?"

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Elukka posted:

That whole thing is so silly. Turns out most prime ministers don't use their meal benefit at the official residence because they choose not to live there, and now suddenly this makes a standard that it's wrong to use it. (At least too much? Where "too much" is defined retroactively.) Surely if it's decided it costs too much it's merely a question of having the employer put a cap on it or end the benefit instead of blaming the employee for using what they're given.

Isn't that the defence argument of Tytti Yli-Viikari? They just wanted to pay a virkamies two years of salary to shut up and do nothing, because that's somehow cheaper than out-right firing them? I'm all for every living Finn getting a virkamies-level palkka for doing nothing but sitting on their rear end and poo poo-posting on SA, but until that's the system, it seems a tad unfair that someone gets it but not everyone else. You know, like in school, bring enough candy for everyone?

The larger point is that Sanna keeps saying "I'm sorry, I should have known better, I should have double-checked", and keeps firing virkamiehet left and right to throw people under the bus, be it about aamiaisjuustot or the biletys the night before, and that's... Less than a stellar look for someone who's supposed to be the de-facto head of state. If I get poo poo-faced drunk, that's on me and doesn't really make a difference either way, but I'm not the prime minister. Someone should tell Sanna she is.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Rappaport posted:

Isn't that the defence argument of Tytti Yli-Viikari? They just wanted to pay a virkamies two years of salary to shut up and do nothing, because that's somehow cheaper than out-right firing them? I'm all for every living Finn getting a virkamies-level palkka for doing nothing but sitting on their rear end and poo poo-posting on SA, but until that's the system, it seems a tad unfair that someone gets it but not everyone else. You know, like in school, bring enough candy for everyone?

The larger point is that Sanna keeps saying "I'm sorry, I should have known better, I should have double-checked", and keeps firing virkamiehet left and right to throw people under the bus, be it about aamiaisjuustot or the biletys the night before, and that's... Less than a stellar look for someone who's supposed to be the de-facto head of state. If I get poo poo-faced drunk, that's on me and doesn't really make a difference either way, but I'm not the prime minister. Someone should tell Sanna she is.

She did literally nothing bad with the ateria thing

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Andrast posted:

She did literally nothing bad with the ateria thing

I understand that not everyone is a masochist who keeps up with the USPol thread, but either way, if it looks like she did something bad, it doesn't help that someone tries to tell voters she totally didn't. Appearances matter! Just look at how much fun iltapaskat is having about her biletys.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Rappaport posted:

I understand that not everyone is a masochist who keeps up with the USPol thread, but either way, if it looks like she did something bad, it doesn't help that someone tries to tell voters she totally didn't. Appearances matter! Just look at how much fun iltapaskat is having about her biletys.

On the other hand who cares about the iltapaskat

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Andrast posted:

You might not, but it's not exactly nice that the head of an otherwise sane government is doing her solid best to keep the kok-PS-coalition forming the next government :shrug:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Rappaport posted:

You might not, but it's not exactly nice that the head of an otherwise sane government is doing her solid best to keep the kok-PS-coalition forming the next government :shrug:

good thing these things are not going to affect that at all then

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

Andrast posted:

About a couple of million voters.

Where do you think average person gets their information?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Kok is going to be the largest party and then they will will choose either SDP or Persus for the secondary partner depending on what they feel like doing (Persut will also depend on how willing Kepu is to be the tertiary government partner because you can't form that gov without kepu)

literally none of the media poo poo affects this at all (or much else tbh)

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Rappaport posted:

I don't see the parallel. Paying someone a salary for nothing while they are not actually employed is obviously a misuse of funds. Using a benefit given to you by your job entirely within its rules is... not?

As for the argument that it doesn't matter if it's actually bad, just that it looks bad, well yes it looks bad because a media narrative was constructed to make it look bad. It felt artificial as gently caress from the start. I think this argument would apply better to the covid restriction stuff.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Dec 10, 2021

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Andrast posted:

literally none of the media poo poo affects this at all (or much else tbh)

How do you think naapurin pena gets their opinion or information about anything? Iltapaska absolutely affects voting behaviour.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Darkest Auer posted:

How do you think naapurin pena gets their opinion or information about anything? Iltapaska absolutely affects voting behaviour.

Do you think SDP would be the largest party in the next election without iltapaska? Otherwise it's not going to mean anything regarding the composition of the next hallitus.

Even aside from that i'm not particularly convinced this dumb marin poo poo had any non-minor effects on the SDP numbers either

Andrast fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Dec 10, 2021

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Suomalainen hävittäjähankinta on n. 20-30 vuoden välein käytävä prosessi, jossa järjestetään vuosia kestävä teatteri jonka jälkeen ostetaan kallein hävittäjä mitä amerikkalaisilta saa. Ellei sitten Iltapulu ole tässä väärässä, mikä tietysti olisi kiva.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

Elukka posted:

I don't see the parallel. Paying someone a salary for nothing while they are not actually employed is obviously a misuse of funds. Using a benefit given to you by your job entirely within its rules is... not?

As for the argument that it doesn't matter if it's actually bad, just that it looks bad, well yes it looks bad because a media narrative was constructed to make it look bad. It felt artificial as gently caress from the start. I think this argument would apply better to the covid restriction stuff.

The breakfastgate costs are artificially inflated. The price numbers the papers scandalised about aren't retail price of her breakfast supplies, but how much the prime minister's residence office pays for them. Buying groceries for the residence has been outsourced and the papers used the massively marked up prices the office pays to the outsourcing company.

In so far as there was a scandal, it would have been some virkamiehen's hyvävelisopimus with the ulkoistusfirma.