Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Bust Rodd posted:

I play video games to experience unique interactive narratives and develop my fast twitch muscle response and hand-eye coordination under extreme sensory duress, because that feels like a more rewarding use of my time than simply picking up a book, reading the book, and placing it back on the shelf.

sick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Mega64 posted:

I play video games to have fun OP.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

fun? in the switch thread? hosed up

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

one day i will be in an elite tactical situation facing a skilled combatant foe irl, and my game-honed fast twitch muscle response and hand-eye coordination under extreme sensory duress will be the difference between me getting murked instantly by my opponent, and me getting murked slightly less instantly by my opponent. that's why i game - to keep my loved ones safe by occupying someone with actual combat training for one additional second.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1467864794812194833?t=nN6UtK8HnIH27n0IVqc6pw&s=19

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
There is a marked difference between enjoying a Pokemon game and actively discussing your latest shiny at a party, yeah

I play a lot of smash bros and I am not going to be chatting about frame data while ordering shots

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Pokemon SwSh is cool, because you're an actual kid who just happened to stumble into catching the legendary while doing your sports tournament, as opposed to the 10-year old savior of the region, surrounded by bumbling idiots. It is not your job to stop the big bad. Your friend's brother and his group are doing that, and you got pulled in, because your friend asked you for help.

That is incredibly refreshing in this franchise.

If you're looking for super cool animations and stuff, go play Pokken.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Pokemon games should try harder. But also adults should quit being weird about kids games.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
The Switch thread has lost the cultural knowledge of what to do in this kind of situation: quote Bust Rodd’s post and just say “Bust Rodd” under it.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

But also, have any of you played Giga Wrecker Alt? Game Freak is clearly a small dev team that stumbled into an eternal contract, and they have not been given the time to improve their talents. I want better and grander Pokemon titles too, but there's no way that's happening with the CoD model.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
I guess it'd be cool if Pokemon games got better, but I'd also settle for them not getting worse. Bring back dungeons, or even routes that take longer than 2 minutes to traverse, or maybe a not-broken leveling system where my guys aren't constantly 10 levels ahead of the enemy.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 22, 2021

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Nintendo doesn't have achievements though

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Thankfully Game of the Switch Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE corrected this oversight

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

dr.acula posted:

Nintendo doesn't have achievements though

They need to bring back Miiverse stickers but let you put them on your Switch profile or something.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 22, 2021

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
miiverse was the WiiU GOTY

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

I hope water guy is doing well in life

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

i buy games and then don't play them

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

You know what’s hosed up? I buy games, play them, and enjoy them whilst playing them.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I hope water guy plays the Diamond/Pearl remakes

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Google Butt posted:

i buy games and then don't play them

You should atleast check the water quality

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I'm still trying to imagine going to a party

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Nintendo nerd after their first party

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I hadn't checked out the OP in awhile, and I got a few hearty chuckles out of it when I clicked the link in your post. :golfclap: Well done on the OP, OP.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Google Butt posted:

This is why you don't go outside

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

This is why you don't go outside

I go to the park and tell strangers about bugs. Well, when it's warm at least. Entering cold hell-season right now.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Google Butt posted:

Looks to me like a manga chud

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I picked up Sonic Colors: Ultimate since it was $20 and while I know it was released in a poor state it's had a few patches and it sounds like the most egregious issues have been worked out. Except, unless it's just me, the game doesn't actually save.

Start a New Game, beat the first act, then exit back to the menu. There's a Continue option which shows the course map where Act 1 is completed and you can replay it if you want. Now, shutdown the game and restart it. No more Continue option, you have to start over. How in the gently caress?

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Dec 6, 2021

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143

Bust Rodd posted:

I play video games to experience unique interactive narratives and develop my fast twitch muscle response and hand-eye coordination under extreme sensory duress, because that feels like a more rewarding use of my time than simply picking up a book, reading the book, and placing it back on the shelf.

Despite the occasional douchebaggery, I think you're a decent enough dude all things considered and even find some of your posts startlingly insightful, but I draw the line at making GBS threads on books. You can do better.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Lol dude genuinely thinks video games are more enriching/stimulating than books.

There's a reason video games don't hurt to play, whereas books can be a chore or challenge, not much of a mental workout when it comes to video games. Play has its value when it comes to learning sure but for the most part you are getting absolutely nothing of substance from video games other than pure fun/ relax dumb brain time.

Nothing wrong with fun relax dumb brain time fwiw

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 6, 2021

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Well can you read books and get different things out of them every time?! Didn’t think so!

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I hire for my team and whenever I see a resume mention video game skills I toss it in the bin with extreme prejudice

I will never hire a goon thank you very much

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Books are cool and all but I also love how smug and superior people act about the choice of something someone else made that they choose to consume. A book is a creative work. So are films and games. It’s fine to have preferences.

It’s really not necessary to come in and slam people for reading or not reading books over playing or not playing games. Both mediums contain absolute schlock as well as meaningful stories and themes. Chill.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Cognitively speaking, there are very very different things going on when you read a book versus when you play a video game. This isn't some smug attempt to slam video games or anything. I love wasting time on games, I'm more making a point about the physiology behind reading a book. Tbh I've read maybe three books over the last few years n have maybe played hundreds of different video game titles? That's because I'm lazy and love to have fun during my free time

Of course we all know that posting on the forums is the most detrimental activity to cognitive growth, this has been backed by decades of research

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

nothing is more enriching/stimulating than posting

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

the OP is great. but are pro posts separate from testimonials? i don't see any in there. edit: never mind i ctrl-f'd 'pro' and managed to locate them.
edit2: the ~MY WIFE~ post gets to be a testimonial AND a pro post? i guess it deserves it.

big deal fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 6, 2021

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Google Butt posted:

nothing is more enriching/stimulating than posting

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Love the work you keep putting into the thread and OP. Awesome stuff!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I really need to get back to beating persona's little brother soon, got to the second main area boss and got distracted with other stuff. I'm really loving it but god those graphics bum me out man especially since the game has such a strong art direction/atmosphere

I'm also playing nioh 2 on my PS5 which is also all sorts of fun demon murdering action, it's extremely rough going from that to SMT 5, not expecting PS4 visuals but SMTV seems rough even for a switch game. This game deserves better!!

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Dec 6, 2021