Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
wasn't 2020 hard for Africa for entirely different reasons than George Floyd? like vaccine unavailability?

100% good idea to pivot Survivor into meaningful discussion with your kids though.

race talk snypa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Another Bill posted:

Also we had half a bottle of tequila in us, but we totally nailed it

you...and the kids?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
That's just irresponsible. Start them with some or Advocaat or blue Curacao first.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

We gave our kids a tequila on new years last year and I don't think they'll drink tequila again. The eldest likes goldschlager though, we give her a tiny taste now and then lol

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

how do you get a toddler to keep his drat gloves on outside? It's been around 0°C the last few days with wind on top of that, and the kid will have biblical screaming meltdowns about A.) wont wear gloves and then B.) his hands are cold. Is duct tape around the wrists not an option?

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
I sometimes wait to put my kids gloves on until after he feels the cold.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

kecske posted:

how do you get a toddler to keep his drat gloves on outside? It's been around 0°C the last few days with wind on top of that, and the kid will have biblical screaming meltdowns about A.) wont wear gloves and then B.) his hands are cold. Is duct tape around the wrists not an option?

Coats with built in mittens

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
my older son is 7 and he's doing a preliminary day at an in-person school after being out of that environment for almost two years.

my wife dropped him off and he was immediately back in it and didn't need her at all. he's like a social rubber band that cannot be broken.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

god what a month. we leave for a couple days and return to find our 16-year-old cat's blood all over the floor. all of our other pets died earlier this year and he's got feline leukemia, so we all thought it he was dying too. turns out he had an abscess, but he thankfully pulled through. the resulting medical bills made it clear that we can't afford to stay in seattle though, so we're moving in with my parents by the end of the year.

it's just been one disruptive and traumatic event after another for the kids, i feel so bad for them :(

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

U-DO Burger posted:

god what a month. we leave for a couple days and return to find our 16-year-old cat's blood all over the floor. all of our other pets died earlier this year and he's got feline leukemia, so we all thought it he was dying too. turns out he had an abscess, but he thankfully pulled through. the resulting medical bills made it clear that we can't afford to stay in seattle though, so we're moving in with my parents by the end of the year.

it's just been one disruptive and traumatic event after another for the kids, i feel so bad for them :(

:( that's a lot, sorry man

and i feel ya - we had to euthanize our ~15 yr old cat in june, then we moved from the suburbs to a new house in the country in july, then 2 weeks after the move my wife's sister (our son's favorite person in the world) OD'd and died, and then a month after that our 13 year old blue staffy collapsed one day and it turns out he had spleen cancer and there wasn't anything that could be done. not to mention that our kid had to leave his old (amazing) daycare/preschool and all his friends, and then the first one out here we tried was awful and now we're driving 40 minutes roundtrip every morning and afternoon to a place that he at least doesn't come home crying from every day.

but you know what? those things were and still are sad, and hard, but kids are so much more resilient than we give them credit for. our kid still sometimes tells us that he misses those that we lost, and i'm glad that he remembers them, but he's also learned how to be happy and thrive in this new environment. be strong for them and they'll be your strength when you need it.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
10 days old now and i respect single parents even more than i already did how on earth do they do this

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

Dreylad posted:

10 days old now and i respect single parents even more than i already did how on earth do they do this

it is literally 24 hours of superhuman effort repeated every single day, and if we lived in a just world support systems for all parents, but especially single parents, would look wildly different.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

My child decided to take his poo poo-loaded diaper off, put it on the floor, and rezipped his PJs up this morning

I think we should toilet train

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Johnny Cache Hit posted:

it is literally 24 hours of superhuman effort repeated every single day, and if we lived in a just world support systems for all parents, but especially single parents, would look wildly different.

:hai:

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
by definition it's not superhuman

but thank you for calling me superman

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

10 months old and taking five steps at a time, omfg

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Dreylad posted:

My (single) mom is super fond of sitting in the comfy chair watching TV for some reason.

But also, I would imagine it helps a bit that you don't have to salvage/maintain a relationship while parenting, including all the implicit/explicit negotiation of how to do poo poo and who should change poo poo.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Good soup! posted:

condolences

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Good soup! posted:

Hope you got the babyproofing set up! Now they're bout to get into EVERYTHING

Yvershek
Nov 15, 2000

and there are no
diamonds in the
mine
I have a 15 year old daughter that is really into dinosaurs. Know of things that can be bought that aren't for the usual younger age range?

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Yvershek posted:

I have a 15 year old daughter that is really into dinosaurs. Know of things that can be bought that aren't for the usual younger age range?

if there's like a museum of natural history near you how about getting her a membership?

assuming she doesnt already have one

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yvershek posted:

my kid is 14 and her friends all love poking at my mini museums when they visit. maybe something from there?

https://shop.minimuseum.com/collections/dinosaurs

Yvershek
Nov 15, 2000

and there are no
diamonds in the
mine
She's isn't near any museums unfortunately.

This is great. Thank you so much!

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

pancake rabbit posted:

:( that's a lot, sorry man

and i feel ya - we had to euthanize our ~15 yr old cat in june, then we moved from the suburbs to a new house in the country in july, then 2 weeks after the move my wife's sister (our son's favorite person in the world) OD'd and died, and then a month after that our 13 year old blue staffy collapsed one day and it turns out he had spleen cancer and there wasn't anything that could be done. not to mention that our kid had to leave his old (amazing) daycare/preschool and all his friends, and then the first one out here we tried was awful and now we're driving 40 minutes roundtrip every morning and afternoon to a place that he at least doesn't come home crying from every day.

but you know what? those things were and still are sad, and hard, but kids are so much more resilient than we give them credit for. our kid still sometimes tells us that he misses those that we lost, and i'm glad that he remembers them, but he's also learned how to be happy and thrive in this new environment. be strong for them and they'll be your strength when you need it.

thanks for the words of encouragement, i just needed to vent for a bit. you've been through some rough poo poo too, glad to hear your kid is learning to adapt :sympathy:

you're right, kids are far more resilient than we give them credit for. my wife and i are the ones broken up over needing to move in with my parents, whereas the kids have moved on to being excited that they get to live in an actual house, holy poo poo you guys

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Vent incoming

sure do love how HBO Max streams audio/video fine for absolutely everything - movies, shows, shorts, etc - except MOTHER loving SESAME STREET, what the gently caress is it with this app and the one thing I might put on my daughter, nieces, and nephews occasionally

Within a loving minute the audio and video goes insanely out of sync and never corrects itself and PBS Kids has the same god damned 7 or 8 episodes for an entire month or two and rotates a pitifully small number out when they premiere so having to hear the same poo poo over and over again arrrrrggh

HBO's app already runs like pure poo poo on both my newer Roku box and my older Roku TV from 2015, but I seriously don't get how only one loving show has actual sync issues and nothing else

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Criss-Cross-Crash is the loving LOUDEST toy on the goddamn planet.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Subjunctive posted:

my kid is 14 and her friends all love poking at my mini museums when they visit. maybe something from there?

https://shop.minimuseum.com/collections/dinosaurs
Holy poo poo you can buy a T-Rex tooth!? $9,250.00 but still drat that's cool.

For streaming I highly recommend the newest Chromecast. My 6 year old can navigate the UI easily and it's quick to switch between apps.
The remote is nice as well. Also lol my toddler now knows how to skip Youtube ads when they get their little bit of TV time.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Good soup! posted:

Vent incoming

sure do love how HBO Max streams audio/video fine for absolutely everything - movies, shows, shorts, etc - except MOTHER loving SESAME STREET, what the gently caress is it with this app and the one thing I might put on my daughter, nieces, and nephews occasionally

Within a loving minute the audio and video goes insanely out of sync and never corrects itself and PBS Kids has the same god damned 7 or 8 episodes for an entire month or two and rotates a pitifully small number out when they premiere so having to hear the same poo poo over and over again arrrrrggh

HBO's app already runs like pure poo poo on both my newer Roku box and my older Roku TV from 2015, but I seriously don't get how only one loving show has actual sync issues and nothing else

Just get Plex and find a share with a bunch of kids content, and never look back.

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
My sister is giving birth for the first time soon and asked the family to get gifts to help with the upcoming baby instead of her or her husband.

New parents, what were some things you ended up needing that you may not have thought you did or what are some things you knew you needed but got way too few of?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

no parent of a newborn has ever had enough blankets or frozen meals

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Yadoppsi posted:

My sister is giving birth for the first time soon and asked the family to get gifts to help with the upcoming baby instead of her or her husband.

New parents, what were some things you ended up needing that you may not have thought you did or what are some things you knew you needed but got way too few of?

Yeah make them a bunch of food if you can. Any kind of consumable like diapers, butt paste, etc are good. Wipe warmers suck don't use them. We never used a sleep sack but they exist for colder climates.

Clothes are tougher imo: gotta ask them about sizes and what they have already.

Since you're the aunt/uncle, you are obligated to find really annoying toys.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Yadoppsi posted:

The ergo baby carrier with the newborn inserts.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Yadoppsi posted:

Infrared thermometer.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
drum kit

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
diapers, bottles, formula

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Do they have a registry? Check, and just get something from it if they do

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

500excf type r posted:

diapers, bottles, formula

This for sure. A baby carrier is always good too.

e: also after the baby is here if there's any way you can help with regular life stuff, like meal prep or even some housework or something. Or watching the baby for an hour or two so they can sleep.

brugroffil has issued a correction as of 14:10 on Dec 13, 2021

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

brugroffil posted:

This for sure. A baby carrier is always good too.

e: also after the baby is here if there's any way you can help with regular life stuff, like meal prep or even some housework or something. Or watching the baby for an hour or two so they can sleep.

yea, we just got through the first year, and the most valuable things were people looking out for us with food, assistance with laundry/dishes and stuff. having another set of hands and eyes is crazy helpful. all the baby centric stuff the parents have to figure out what works for them and that can take a bit.

one thing that we used a shitload that i never would’ve thought of was something like this. one of the ones that dangles things above the head and attaches to the four corners of a mat.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

White noise machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I would make sure they don’t already have one in mind before getting something like a baby carrier since that’s one of the major newborn purchases and something they might have strong opinions about.

Having just recently had a kid, the gift we got that is used multiple times every day and we ended up most grateful for was a Boppy.

Greg Legg posted:

The ergo baby carrier with the newborn inserts.

I bought one of these on the advice of this thread and it’s gotten a lot of use.

Thoguh has issued a correction as of 15:07 on Dec 13, 2021