Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PeterCat posted:

Reposting this from the "prehistoric and historic Iowa" FB page.

That may be the first good thing ever from Iowa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

MazelTovCocktail posted:

That may be the first good thing ever from Iowa.

Bill Bryson posted:

By chance, we did have the most erotic statue in the nation in Des Moines. It was part of the state's large Civil War monument on the capitol grounds. Called 'Iowa,' it depicts a seated woman, who is holding her bare breasts in her hands, cupped from beneath in a startlingly provocative manner. The pose, we are told, was intended to represent a symbolic offering of nourishment, but really she is inviting every man who goes by to think hard about clambering up and clamping on. We used to sometimes ride our bikes there on Saturdays to stare at it from below. 'Erected in 1890' said a plaque on the statue. "And causing them ever since," we used to quip. But it was a long way to cycle just to see some copper tits.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
The nation needed healing, who are we to judge?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Replace Confederate statues with tits

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alchenar posted:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Boobs not Bastards

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

In the centre of Atlanta put a huge nude statue of Sherman tackle out

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alchenar posted:

:bisonyes:
:sherman:

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Alchenar posted:

Motorized nude statue.

William Tecums-AHYEAH.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

PeterCat posted:

Reposting this from the "prehistoric and historic Iowa" FB page.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Forgot to post last week, so have a few:

Soviet post-war tank building

GMC M40/GMC M43

and one of mine: Skink AA tank

Big articles queue: T-100Y and SU-14-1, Object 430, Pz.Kpfw.35(t), T-60 tanks in combat, SU-76M modernizations, Panhard 178, 15 cm sFH 13/1 (Sf), 43M Zrínyi, Medium Tank M46, Modernization of the M48 to the M60 standard, German tank building trends at the end of WW2, Pz.Kpfw.III/IV, E-50 and E-75 development, Pre-war and early war British tank building, BT-7M/A-8 trials, Jagdtiger suspension, Light Tank T37, Light Tank T41, T-26-6 (SU-26), Voroshilovets tractor trials, Israeli armour 1948–1982, T-64's composite armour, Evolution of German tank observation devices, Oerlikon and Solothurn anti-tank rifles

Available for request (others' articles):

:ussr:
Shashmurin's career
T-55 underwater driving equipment
T-34 tanks with M-17 engines
Wartime and post-war anti-tank hand grenades

:godwin:
King Tigers in Hungary
German King Tiger losses in December of 1944 in Hungary
Tiger (P) Typ 102 NEW

:911:
Gun Motor Carriage T12/M3 NEW

Small articles queue: IS-3 pike nose, TOG flamethrower for T-34 and KV-1 tanks

Small articles available: linked because the list is too long

New small articles
Skoda T-15
HMC T18
Pz.Kpfw.III Ausf.D
Matilda with the F-96 gun
35M Ansaldo
First flamethrower KV-1
T-23 tankette

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 6, 2021

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

LatwPIAT posted:

There's some bitter joke here about how if WWIII had kicked off in the 50s it'd be the Wehrmacht fighting itself while both sides claim the other are the ones using former Nazis as footsoldiers.

I think the only place where you can really say the NVA was any better than the Bundeswehr at handling their Nazis was that they were a lot more restrictive when it came to SS personnel. There was something like one total former Waffen-SS officer (that I've been able to find, at least) in the NVA and they were ostensibly banned (...like former NSDAP members were ostensibly banned), while the Bundeswehr eventually opened up to Waffen-SS personnel up to Obersturmbanfuhrer/Lt.Col. rank and even managed to let a Buchenwald camp guard serve at one point.

If you ever want an interesting low level sidebar, look up the arguments over "denazified" awards in the Bundeswehr. In tl;dr terms, after 1957 the Bundeswehr allowed former Wehrmacht soldiers to wear the combat awards they had been decorated with while fighting for the Third Reich, but in specially made versions with the swastikas left off. For example, here's a "General Assault Badge" (Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen) where normally the eagle would be holding a nasty swastika:

Some awards were never denazified, like the "Anti-partisan badge," more accurately (edit: that is, officially) called the "Bandit Warfare Badge" (Bandenkampfabzeichen). That one's never coming clean.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Dec 6, 2021

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cessna posted:

If you ever want an interesting low level sidebar, look up the arguments over "denazified" awards in the Bundeswehr. In tl;dr terms, after 1957 the Bundeswehr allowed former Wehrmacht soldiers to wear the combat awards they had been decorated with while fighting for the Third Reich, but in specially made versions with the swastikas left off. For example, here's a "General Assault Badge" (Allgemeines Sturmabzeichen) where normally the eagle would be holding a nasty swastika:

Some awards were never denazified, like the "Anti-partisan badge," more accurately called the "Bandit Warfare Badge" (Bandenkampfabzeichen). That one's never coming clean.

Yep. That's a no on this one. Honestly I wonder if John Milius ever saw it, but it has this voyage Conan The Barbarian quality to it. That said I don't know if a greater "kick me in the dick" sign (well besides Ted Cruz's face) ever existed.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Dec 6, 2021

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

O my loving god.

That is too on the nose even by Nazi standards.

loving dweebs.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Xiahou Dun posted:

O my loving god.

loving dweebs.

I can say today I am both bemused and horrified.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I take back my previous statement, it really doesn't look like the seal of Thulsa Doom.

I'm shocked it didn't have a cluster for how many Jews you killed...cause I could totally seem the Nazi's doing that.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Boobs not Bastards

Boobs for Busts

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Xiahou Dun posted:

I've read that it was so ludicrously Nazi that a lot of Wehrmacht soldiers wouldn't wear it. Well, that, and the fact that it was thought to be a de-facto death sentence if you were captured wearing it.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cessna posted:

I've read that it was so ludicrously Nazi that a lot of Wehrmacht soldiers wouldn't wear it. Well, that, and the fact that it was thought to be a de-facto death sentence if you were captured wearing it.

Not surprised in the least to hear that. Hell I am pretty sure the squad mates would be tempted to do the job as pretty much any lovely treatment they would receive would be blamed on that monster.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cessna posted:

And deservedly so....not that you're claiming otherwise of course. I can't imagine the type of amped up child killer would take pride in wearing that.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I can't imagine the type of amped up child killer would take pride in wearing that.

Sadly, I can. They're called Nazis.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Yep. That's a no on this one. Honestly I wonder if John Milius ever saw it, but it has this voyage Conan The Barbarian quality to it. That said I don't know if a greater "kick me in the dick" sign (well besides Ted Cruz's face) ever existed.

Oh, I thought the Nazis being taken over by Hydra was made up

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cessna posted:

Sadly, I can. They're called Nazis.

I should have also added Aggressively Stupid too....but yeah that wouldn't change much.

zoux posted:

Oh, I thought the Nazis being taken over by Hydra was made up

That or Crom. lol

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I've just been sort of looking through old editions of NYT today, looking mostly at sunday editions from WWII. Figured maybe there was some interest in this short article since the Patton affair was discussed in passing a little while back.

(This is from November 28, 1943)

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Randarkman posted:

I've just been sort of looking through old editions of NYT today, looking mostly at sunday editions from WWII. Figured maybe there was some interest in this short article since the Patton affair was discussed in passing a little while back.

It's interesting to see the gradual recognition of what today is PTSD (even though shell shock was figured out either late or right after WWI).

Speaking of the NYT Op-ed, for something really bonkers (well today), if you can find it, is the one that advocating the use of chemical weapons against the Japanese. I think it was (and I'm not kidding) "Cook'em with Gas."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I've always been kind of surprised about the contemporary reaction to the Patton thing, I just wouldn't figure it would have seemed like such a big deal in 1943's America. I mean if that happened now you'd have significant numbers of people calling the slapped soldier a snowflake or whatever.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Randarkman posted:

He just couldn't control himself during a period of great stress ie laying eyes on someone having a breakdown. Toxic masculinity at its finest.

The only reason a flag officer is at a hospital is to try and buck people up. If you're not going to support the injured troops there why even go?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Speaking of the NYT Op-ed, for something really bonkers (well today), if you can find it, is the one that advocating the use of chemical weapons against the Japanese. I think it was (and I'm not kidding) "Cook'em with Gas."

I'll see if I can find it.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Randarkman posted:

I'll see if I can find it.

Thanks, it was really kind of a :wtc: to see with that headline. It's possible that it was a letter vs a regular writer, but I'm not sure.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I can't find that specific headline in NYT's archives at least. Googling it it references similar ones from other papers "“We Should Gas Japan” from New York Daily News, “We Should Have Used Gas at Tarawa” from Washington Times Herald, and "You Can Cook ’Em Better with Gas." appears to be a quote from that article or letter. Source

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Randarkman posted:

I can't find that specific headline in NYT's archives at least. Googling it it references similar ones from other papers "“We Should Gas Japan” from New York Daily News, “We Should Have Used Gas at Tarawa” from Washington Times Herald, and "You Can Cook ’Em Better with Gas." appears to be a quote from that article or letter. Source

That's it! That's the exact title. Goddamn it's even more bonkers then I remember.

I actually wonder if that AH article is the place I heard of it, but I feel like I saw a scan of it somewhere.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 6, 2021

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

MazelTovCocktail posted:

That's it! That's the exact title. Goddamn it's even more bonkers then I remember.

I actually wonder if that AH article is the place I heard of it, but I feel like I saw a scan of it somewhere.

The article itself is from 1985 so it's got some years on it.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Xiahou Dun posted:

O my loving god.

loving dweebs.

One of the many, many, many, many inane things about wehraboos is the belief that the Nazis had style, rather than being this bizarre neo-medieval-but-also-Wagner bullshit. Even the prized uniforms, even if we could somehow strip the nazi connotations don’t scream style they scream here’s an aristocratic gently caress, kick the poo poo out of him.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Randarkman posted:

The article itself is from 1985 so it's got some years on it.

I meant of the original source of the quote, my bad I should have been clearer about that. I would have come across this sometime in 1999-2000, so perhaps that's it and I conflated it with some other "inflammatory" headline from the time.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Alchenar posted:

Someone already beat you to that I'm afraid

Cessna posted:

Some awards were never denazified, like the "Anti-partisan badge," more accurately (edit: that is, officially) called the "Bandit Warfare Badge" (Bandenkampfabzeichen). That one's never coming clean.

There is a very strange moment in the second john wick movie where he goes to a "sommelier" (guy who recommends guns and poo poo) and he has on the anti partisan badge and someone pointed it out on these forums and it was weird as poo poo. The guy is way too young for it to be his; I suspect (hope?) someone in wardrobe said this looks kinda cool, we'll toss it on this guy but I have no idea.

Randarkman posted:

Someone did a huge write up years ago about the whole gas program. It included I think stats about the efficacy of it on vernacular japanese architecture.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

zoux posted:

I've always been kind of surprised about the contemporary reaction to the Patton thing, I just wouldn't figure it would have seemed like such a big deal in 1943's America. I mean if that happened now you'd have significant numbers of people calling the slapped soldier a snowflake or whatever.

I mean, there were a lot of soldiers over there, people's kids, people's husbands, people's dads, and so on. If you're back on the home front, you know their lives are in danger, but you at least want to know that they're as safe as possible, and the military's looking out for them, so for a general to be slapping somebody in the hospital, then physically dragging him out of bed and booting him outside, and then a week later, slapping another one and shoving a pistol in his face and threatening to shoot him. Well, would you want a general to do that to your kid or your spouse?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Epicurius posted:

I mean, there were a lot of soldiers over there, people's kids, people's husbands, people's dads, and so on. If you're back on the home front, you know their lives are in danger, but you at least want to know that they're as safe as possible, and the military's looking out for them, so for a general to be slapping somebody in the hospital, then physically dragging him out of bed and booting him outside, and then a week later, slapping another one and shoving a pistol in his face and threatening to shoot him. Well, would you want a general to do that to your kid or your spouse?

No, but I'm a soft millennial who doesn't have the grapes. Not The Greatest Generation of All Time.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Yeah, Miliuis' Conan drew a lot from Nietzsche, it looks similar enough. I never realized that Thulsa Doom's helmet was snakes as well.

I think Crom would laugh at the snakes crawling beneath his mountain.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Ensign Expendable posted:

Forgot to post last week, so have a few:

Do you know anything about the Germans using uranium as a substitute for tungsten in anti-tank munitions?

Speer writes a few lines about that in Inside the Third Reich. They had captured about 1200 tons of Belgian uranium ore, but I have no idea how much metallic uranium you can extract from that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Haven't seen anything like that, sorry.