Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

site posted:

was seriously confused at the lack of voiceover when i clicked play

Because it's the Unreal Castle intro (Unreal 1 theme), not the Unreal Tournament's one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

More games should have their title screens double as the game's benchmarking tool like Unreal did.

I mean, more games should have that sense of awe as well, but since I imagine that awe is in no small part nostalgia for late-90s/early-00s 3D graphics with their blocky levels, unrealistic colored lighting and reliance on texture art to do all the detailing, that is probably too much to ask.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Shadow Hog posted:

More games should have their title screens double as the game's benchmarking tool like Unreal did.

I remember how HL2 loaded a little map on the menu screen and it took my PC like five mins just to load the main menu because of it!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

The United States posted:

The Doom 3 hell knight made a good Doom 4/E monster

The Doom 3 pinky was a good cybernetic demon dog thing, just not a good pinky

Yeah, I'd like the Baron/Hell Knight design a lot better if it had the big gently caress-off horns and maybe some fuzzy pants.

Also agreed that the pinky design was kind of cool but a terrible pinky.

TOOT BOOT posted:

I liked Doom 3 and I remember most people here liking it at the time as well. I like Doom 2016 much better, though.

I seem to remember most people talking about hating the crawling enemies, baby spiders I think? I think there was a front page article about how lovely they were. I think I just hate how much of the game is these lovely tight little corridors, they're the worst part of any FPS.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I remember how HL2 loaded a little map on the menu screen and it took my PC like five mins just to load the main menu because of it!

I remember Deus Ex let you choose what to show in the background when you opened the inventory/menus. Depending on how bad your computer was you could choose to keep rendering the game, show a static screenshot from when you paused, or just a black void.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Retro FPS quiz of the day: in which game can the following phrase be heard?

quote:

thug: man don't be looking at my bitch motherfucker

a. half life
b. halo
c. true crime: streets of l.a.
d. kingpin: life of crime
e. serious sam

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
all of the above, if you have voice chat turned on

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Convex posted:

a. half life
b. halo
e. serious sam

50 Cent: Legend of the Crystal Skull

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Convex posted:

a. half life
b. halo
e. serious sam

Hexen, because that would make no sense and is therefore fully align with the core design principle of the game.

It also fits its switch hunt nature and how it does everything to dissuade looking for switches.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Fair, but also, we're moving into an age of SSDs, so hopefully that will not be a recurring thing moving forward. (And also I'm not sure Source games load that quickly in general compared to other engines, or maybe that's just GMOD being GMOD?)

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I like a lot of the Doom 3 designs, honestly, and I quite like that Baron design. But the Revenant? It's got this weird translucent skin over it that I hate and apparently, reading The Making of Doom 3, it's an intentional choice. I did really like the RoE TV Head enemy, though I can't remember the name of it.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

https://twitter.com/lazygamereviews/status/1468068736120799234?s=21
So hot

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The only wide boxes I have are old Warcraft and StarCraft ones.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Marathon Trilogy box set :frogc00l:

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

haveblue posted:

Marathon Trilogy box set :frogc00l:

I got that for christmas one year and then got food poisoning that same night and vomited on the box, destroying it

Later that same schoolyear both the base game and mod collection discs were stolen from the disused classroom I used to host multiplayer games

:(

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1468025064297680896

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Oh..cool

Man I wish they actually used their "legion system" for something other than one short segment (well, two but it's the same segment)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Didn’t even know this was coming out

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Didn’t even know this was coming out
It wasn't announced beforehand, they just kinda shadowdropped it onto Game Pass and Xbone today after a year of console exclusivity on, uh, Stadia.

If consoles are your thing and Game Pass isn't, well, what the hell?! But also, there's a "Launch Bundle" on the Xbox store that packs in the HD First and Second Encounters, as well as Serious Sam 3 and its DLC.

Can't see any PS4 release on that system's store... yet, anyway.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

site posted:

new verison of the force engine just went up and stuff like the mission briefings, cutscenes, and the pda are in now so it's presumably able to be played all the way through fully now

https://theforceengine.github.io/downloads.html

That's awesome. The latest video does seem to have some slight issues with the music timing in cutscenes, but I can live with that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbF8zvgSghs

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Wasn't SS4 panned bad? I have Game Pass so I may check it out but I remember hearing it was plagued with performance issues

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Serious Sam as a franchise is just trash honestly, they're fun in co-op but even that wears thin after the 90000th bullshit kleer death.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Zeether posted:

Wasn't SS4 panned bad? I have Game Pass so I may check it out but I remember hearing it was plagued with performance issues

SS4's big issue was that there were just really weird level design choices that made areas lag. The game itself was fun enough, I guess.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I played a bit on Series X just now, it’s poo poo

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Zeether posted:

It's fun, but it felt like a lot of things must have gone wrong during development. In addition to the legion system and level design, it was unpolished, and had the constant feeling that there were greater ambitions left unrealized.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

It also feels kinda "cheap" in a way. Not that every game needs to feel like a Triple-A monster, but the environments felt bland, and the feel of controlling Sam felt like a game that was just compiled off of an engine kit. I'd love if they just did another wacky-looking game like SS2.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I like Sam but I never felt the need to play more beyond TFE/TSE.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

I like Sam but I never felt the need to play more beyond TFE/TSE.

They never got better than those two. I much preferred the puzzle stuff Croteam did with the Talos Principle than any of their other Sam games.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i played through 4... sometime earlier this year and it was pretty fun, although i only was playing a level of two every few days. felt much more like the older games than 3, the mix-and-match dual wielding was a nice addition, and the humor was back to being stupid but fairly funny (i liked the running gag of the team one upping each other with puns)

there is one level half way through the game where i swear the map is literally the entirely of France though. it's massive, but you'd never know it unless you drive the opposite direction of the objective

site fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Dec 7, 2021

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I enjoyed SS4 well enough, but it had a rough release; amusingly, the Steam download lacked everything but the executable file when it initially released*, and some performance issues persisted for a while afterward.

The levels are largely dogshit, though. It seems like they essentially made massive open areas for an ARMA game, and then tried to figure out how to put Serious Sam arenas into these spaces after the fact. They're mostly forgettable spans of forests, towns, hamlets, etc. that you'd spend 5 seconds flying over in a flight simulator.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and the huge-crowds "Legion" system they talked up saw almost no use in the actual game besides the brief prologue and very final fight, which probably accounts for like 3 or 4% of the game.

*They fixed it after about 40 minutes, but it was still funny to me.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Dec 7, 2021

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/romero/status/1468318513622364164?s=20

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Apparently the latest refresh for Thirty Flights of Loving will, as a side effect, bring KMQuake2 to Linux and macOS?

https://icculus.org/finger/flibitijibibo

If you are all about KMQuake2 rather than Yamagi, then there you go... I think the upcoming "0.20 Update 8" will be the one to include these other platforms. Or you could try grabbing the source and building it yourself perhaps... it looks like there used to be automated builds there for download, but nothing since before the Linux changes.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I think the guy that made KMQuake used to post here a long time ago.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

JLaw posted:

Apparently the latest refresh for Thirty Flights of Loving will, as a side effect, bring KMQuake2 to Linux and macOS?

https://icculus.org/finger/flibitijibibo

If you are all about KMQuake2 rather than Yamagi, then there you go... I think the upcoming "0.20 Update 8" will be the one to include these other platforms. Or you could try grabbing the source and building it yourself perhaps... it looks like there used to be automated builds there for download, but nothing since before the Linux changes.

What’s different from Yamagi?

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Was scrolling through Obscure Game Aesthetics when they showed off this interesting-looking game called Northern Journey: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1639790/Northern_Journey/. Don't know if it's any good. Just thought I'd share it.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Pretty neat Bungie added Pathways of Darkness and Marathon inspired items (and Halo of course) to Destiny 2 for their 30th anniversary. Only one Myth item that I saw though which sucks, guess they didn't want to invite the wrath of Take2 or whoever owns that IP now.

dishwasherlove fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Dec 8, 2021

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

i know this is the core of the gameplay or whatever but the sam games would be so much better if you moved fast enough that you didnt need to run backwards with a slight curve the entire time

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’m 3/4 the way through The Master Levels and they’re not as bad as I was expecting.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

dishwasherlove posted:

Pretty neat Bungie added Pathways of Darkness and Marathon inspired items (and Halo of course) to Destiny 2 for their 30th anniversary. Only one Myth item that I saw though which sucks, guess they didn't want to invite the wrath of Take2 or whoever owns that IP now.

What's the Myth item

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

dishwasherlove posted:

That's pretty loving cool! What's the Myth item look like? I heard it was a claymore elsewhere but they didn't have pictures either (poor Myth...)