Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Spime Wrangler posted:

I would just try to not mix shimano and SRAM. No harm at all in dropping down a few teeth.

I plan have the shop drop a 30 tooth SRAM gear on the front while I am away for work next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

Nocheez posted:

Can we talk about what masochists single speeders are? I can't imagine having no range at all and riding some of the steep stuff around here.

I rode singlespeed here in CO for years. It’s dumb, but it’s fun. I’ll probably buy another one someday because I don’t learn lessons well.

Bud Manstrong fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Dec 5, 2021

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

vikingstrike posted:

I do agree with you that the compression characteristics of the fork aren’t the best. The new damper is supposed to help this? Never used it though.

I had no idea it had a new damper. Definitely my bad on that.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Got a couple more rides in before the end of the year, mostly to the same places. Not typical december in montana conditions. It was probably snowing in the mountains all day at least. In town it was rain last I checked.

Transfer SL is.... ok. Not really ideal for every day trail riding, which, yeah, I guess it's not meant to be. Funny how I rode a hardtail with a tall post for years and years and now 100mm of drop doesn't seem like enough. On steeper, rougher trails anyway.

The spring pressure on it is really light, takes no effort to drop it down, and it pops back up really firmly. It feels like the way it works is you're actuating a pin that goes into two holes at the top and bottom. So, if you are sitting on the saddle with all your weight it doesn't like to actuate because that pin is wedged up against the hole. You have to unweight it, and then push the lever, and then sit on it. There is also a very fine line between having the seat clamp tight enough to hold it in place and too tight making it stick. On my frame with a wolftooth clamp that's probably less than 4nm. I tighten a little, actuate, tighten a little, actuate, until it doesn't return smoothly, then that's too much. One ride it slipped down like 2mm I think. Last time out it stayed in place.

So I might do something different. I don't like how heavy the standard transfer is and I don't usually use all 175mm anyway, but 125-150mm would be better than 100. Made a lot of changes to this bike that mostly all make it both lighter and better, this is the first thing that adds lightness but is worse to use.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I can let you know what a ribbon coil is like tomorrow.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
New MF’in bike day, I can legally post in the MTB thread again :toot:

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

e.pilot posted:

New MF’in bike day, I can legally post in the MTB thread again :toot:

beautiful. I thought they stopped making aluminum frames?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

New bike day can still be "new to you"

Cool bike!

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Oh I was just hoping they made a new aluminum frame. I love the look of their al frames.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
There are not enough good looking metal full suspension bikes.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
A+ component color coordination

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

i flunked out posted:

beautiful. I thought they stopped making aluminum frames?

They did, this is a 2018 frame I picked up from the prose closet.

i flunked out posted:

There are not enough good looking metal full suspension bikes.

Agreed

Wifi Toilet posted:

A+ component color coordination
I regret that I could only find so much gold

nine16thsdago
Jun 29, 2005
fprintf(stderr, "this should never print\n");
Greetings thread! I live in Eastern TN and enjoy being outdoors both near home and close by in Western NC though I know nothing about mountain biking. I'm told that this area is pretty much mountain biking heaven by those around me who are into the sport.

I will pretty much do anything within reason to get my teenage kids outdoors. They've both outgrown their intermediate bikes and they're both probably grown enough to buy them a quality bike that they won't outgrow, at least size-wise.

They both ride pavement when the weather is nice to meet our exercise requirements and of course for transportation. However, like me they've never ridden any trails before though the opportunities to do so are literally everywhere here. Plus, they have friends who are into it.

Is purchasing a trail/mountain bike (vs. a fitness/road bike) to be their only bike a bad idea, not knowing how much they might like/hate trail riding?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Riding on trails owns bones. You are away from vehicles, enjoying nature, and it's a lot of fun to boot. There are rentals available, give it a shot some time and you'll probably get hooked.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

nine16thsdago posted:

However, like me they've never ridden any trails before though the opportunities to do so are literally everywhere here. Plus, they have friends who are into it.

Is your plan strictly to bike to trails? Or only use a car occasionally?
How many miles is it to the trails that those friends have recommended starting with?

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Sounds like a couple of hardtails (entry level or above depending on your budget) would be perfect. Maybe rent a couple from somewhere for a day and explore the fire roads and easy trails and see if it's some thing you want to do more of.

Mountain biking absolutely owns whether you're sending jumps, riding down steep poo poo or just getting out into the woods for a chilled time. It's the best sport.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Aphex- posted:

Mountain biking absolutely owns whether you're sending jumps, riding down steep poo poo or just getting out into the woods for a chilled time. It's the best sport.
Can't agree more, the last few weeks before things got cold here in Ohio both my riding buddy and I had some stressful things happen in our lives and getting out on the trails was a great way to work out the stress.

Since my last post I've given my bike a proper tune up, cleaned up the drivetrain, replaced a broken shifter assembly, and most importantly actually started to learn how to ride properly. There's a place called Ray's MTB about 45 minutes from me that is basically an indoor biking playground (seriously look it up on Youtube if you're anywhere close to Cleveland) and I've been spending a lot of time there doing laps around the beginner section and pump track.

Every day I'm kicking myself for not getting in to this earlier.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

wolrah posted:

Can't agree more, the last few weeks before things got cold here in Ohio both my riding buddy and I had some stressful things happen in our lives and getting out on the trails was a great way to work out the stress.

Since my last post I've given my bike a proper tune up, cleaned up the drivetrain, replaced a broken shifter assembly, and most importantly actually started to learn how to ride properly. There's a place called Ray's MTB about 45 minutes from me that is basically an indoor biking playground (seriously look it up on Youtube if you're anywhere close to Cleveland) and I've been spending a lot of time there doing laps around the beginner section and pump track.

I grew up 45 minutes from Cleveland in lovely little town outside of Akron. One of these days I'll bring my bike up with me and check out Ray's.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Nocheez posted:

I grew up 45 minutes from Cleveland in lovely little town outside of Akron. One of these days I'll bring my bike up with me and check out Ray's.
I can not recommend it highly enough. They have some apparently decent rental bikes too so you don't even need to bring your own. There's a first-timer deal where a rental is effectively free on weekdays.

I've lived in various places close to SR18 for almost 20 years now, I've owned my current bike since 2008, and I only discovered how much great riding there is around here in the last three months.

nine16thsdago
Jun 29, 2005
fprintf(stderr, "this should never print\n");
Thanks for the answers & encouragement!

Nocheez posted:

Riding on trails owns bones. You are away from vehicles, enjoying nature, and it's a lot of fun to boot. There are rentals available, give it a shot some time and you'll probably get hooked.

I actually have good relationships with 2 of the closest local bike shops to me. Where previously they would have had rentals (I asked!), they can't swing it now with their current inventory/vendor situations. I asked one guy and got a 1,000 yard stare and a sad tale about the abusive nature of his relationship with his Giant rep.

kimbo305 posted:

Is your plan strictly to bike to trails? Or only use a car occasionally?
How many miles is it to the trails that those friends have recommended starting with?

I live < 1/2 mile from what I would consider a long but mild hiking trail where bike use is allowed (municipal green space set-aside). There are dozens of such trails extending 30+ miles in my town alone. One of the best trails for elevation change (climbing/downhill) is around 5 road miles from our house. I have bike carriers and would drive by car to anything farther away than that.

Aphex- posted:

Sounds like a couple of hardtails (entry level or above depending on your budget) would be perfect. Maybe rent a couple from somewhere for a day and explore the fire roads and easy trails and see if it's some thing you want to do more of.

I think that's what I'm looking for. I have specific questions (if they would be welcomed here) about what I can get locally (Giant & Norco). More generally, however, I've been advised that a better quality hardtail would be preferable for my purposes than a more entry-level full-suspension bike. Thoughts? Thanks again for your help!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

wolrah posted:

Ray's owns. Plenty of stuff to dick around and do for a couple hours until everything hurts. I have taken my own bike and rented, and renting was how I'd do it in the future (coming from 3 hours away). Now worth getting the bike dirty/wet outside during the drive for the small cost. Last I was there (a year or two ago?) they were trek 29+ hardtails that were pretty great and purple to boot.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

nine16thsdago posted:

I think that's what I'm looking for. I have specific questions (if they would be welcomed here) about what I can get locally (Giant & Norco). More generally, however, I've been advised that a better quality hardtail would be preferable for my purposes than a more entry-level full-suspension bike. Thoughts? Thanks again for your help!

A good way to get an idea of what you want to look into is to check out the trail head. See what the majority of people riding what you plan to ride have. If its mostly hard tail trails, a FS bike might not be as fun.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
The general rule is (at the lower end especially) that you can buy a much better quality cheaper hardtail than you could for a FS at the same price. They're also good because they're usually cheaper anyway, which means that you don't need to invest as much to find out if you actually want to keep riding. They're easier to set up and slightly lower maintenance too which is also good for beginners.

Full suspensions rule though and if you get into it and want to ride more involved trails, they're absolutely worth investing in.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Suburban Dad posted:

Ray's owns. Plenty of stuff to dick around and do for a couple hours until everything hurts. I have taken my own bike and rented, and renting was how I'd do it in the future (coming from 3 hours away). Now worth getting the bike dirty/wet outside during the drive for the small cost. Last I was there (a year or two ago?) they were trek 29+ hardtails that were pretty great and purple to boot.

Definitely rent a DJ for Ray’s. The Roscoes they have are ok but you can do everything on a DJ and have a ton of fun.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Every time I've been there the dirt jumpers are in high demand with a waiting list so it seems people agree.

I definitely intend to try their entire rental selection in the near future, I plan to buy a hardtail in the next year so the more bikes I can try the better I'll know what I want.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

nine16thsdago posted:

There are dozens of such trails extending 30+ miles in my town alone. One of the best trails for elevation change (climbing/downhill) is around 5 road miles from our house.

Depending on what tires you're on, 5mi on the road can be a lot. Potentially worth it, but certainly lowers the smiles/mile ratio if the roads are bad or dangerous.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
Just ordered a Spot Rocker single speed after my gravel bike left me wanting more and realizing I’m almost always riding either road or mtb trails and my dentist road bike is much better suited for the road half.

Kind of nervous about the single speed thing though. Always intrigued me but I’m worried I won’t be able to get fit enough to properly enjoy it. At least it can be converted to 1x relatively easy if I bounce off it?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

eeenmachine posted:

Just ordered a Spot Rocker single speed after my gravel bike left me wanting more and realizing I’m almost always riding either road or mtb trails and my dentist road bike is much better suited for the road half.

Kind of nervous about the single speed thing though. Always intrigued me but I’m worried I won’t be able to get fit enough to properly enjoy it. At least it can be converted to 1x relatively easy if I bounce off it?

I’d love to hear your thoughts on it when you get it. For a long time I’ve toyed with the Spot Rallye SS because it’s one of the few bikes out there that’s belt driven with hydro discs and drops. Would be an ideal commuter, but it’s spendy and Spot only specs it with the 175 cranks.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

I’d love to hear your thoughts on it when you get it. For a long time I’ve toyed with the Spot Rallye SS because it’s one of the few bikes out there that’s belt driven with hydro discs and drops. Would be an ideal commuter, but it’s spendy and Spot only specs it with the 175 cranks.

Will do, the gravel bike I’m replacing is an Priority Apollo which I liked the belt aspect of it just felt a little heavy and harsh with the IGH and aluminum frame (plus descending rocky stuff on drops felt like flirting with death). I figure there isn’t any more shame walking a single speed up aggressive climbs than that bike.

I think this will be the 7th belt drive bike we’ve had in the house and I’ve never had an issue with the belts themselves. Will be the first carbon frame one though.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
this bike tho :stwoon:

got the right sized spring on the coil now and it’s just :discourse:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

e.pilot posted:

Awesome! Looks beautiful there.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kdzyg0GmVJY

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

e.pilot posted:

Hell yes. Coil shocks rule.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Aphex- posted:

Hell yes. Coil shocks rule.

Agreed.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Spime Wrangler posted:

I would just try to not mix shimano and SRAM.

This is absolutely fine, I’ve got a mishmash of shimano, sram, and god knows what else on 3 of my bikes.

I have had 105 levers shifting a GRX derailleur on an e*thirteen XD cassette for literal thousands of miles.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

e.pilot posted:

This is absolutely fine, I’ve got a mishmash of shimano, sram, and god knows what else on 3 of my bikes.

I have had 105 levers shifting a GRX derailleur on an e*thirteen XD cassette for literal thousands of miles.

SRAM cassette with the 11t and 12t cogs from a Shimano cassette and a SRAM lockring, 105 shifters, GRX RD, and TRP brakes

It Just Works

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
Finally assembled and rode my new Spot Rocker SS on a neighborhood trail. My 30 minute ride felt like a 3 hour road ride and it made me feel as unfit as I did when I started biking. Talk about cardio. Bike build seems fantastic so far though.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

e.pilot posted:

Oh man, y'all would love my frankenbike for just the sheer variety of poo poo that's been fused in unholy union to make a semi functional bicycle

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
Ok, after a longer more proper ride this thing is a blast. Charging up stuff instead of a slow spin makes you feel like superman and worst case you stop for breathers or walk the final parts of big climbs. Obviously you’re not picking this bike for thousands of feet of elevation unless you’re a masochist or in much better shape than I am. Components are the nicest I’ve ever had on a bike, but I splurged for a six star build because I hate money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
Looks like a hoot. Congrats.