Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.

TheWevel posted:

I'm not a red car guy but that looks pretty good.

I would like to do a Tesla test drive but even though I live in Atlanta they want me to test drive in Knoxville?

I test drove an X and 3 at the Lenox mall. This was 2 years ago though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009

TheWevel posted:

I would like to do a Tesla test drive but even though I live in Atlanta they want me to test drive in Knoxville?

I was getting the same thing. It was telling me to do Decatur or Knoxville. My local store is the Alpharetta/Roswell one. When I took delivery a few weeks ago I asked about the gallery store at the Avalon. He said it was supposed to be for test drives but they literally can’t keep cars there because Teslas are selling so fast. He also said they were likely going to close it within a year since it isn’t really able to serve its purpose.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
I’m sad I missed all the paywall talk but if I hadn’t I think I’d just be listening to a bunch of poors argue over who got conned. Here’s an idea: make enough money so that all the upgrades are free. Later peasants. Tres Comas.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

TJChap2840 posted:

I was getting the same thing. It was telling me to do Decatur or Knoxville. My local store is the Alpharetta/Roswell one. When I took delivery a few weeks ago I asked about the gallery store at the Avalon. He said it was supposed to be for test drives but they literally can’t keep cars there because Teslas are selling so fast. He also said they were likely going to close it within a year since it isn’t really able to serve its purpose.

I guess I'll just buy it and if I don't like it, resell it to Carvana for profit.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Hell, I live a mile from the Roswell location. You can test drive mine if you want.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

TheWevel posted:

I live in the Atlanta area, hit me up if you want. Mine's a 3 Performance with 18" wheels.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer
You can contact Tesla as well, the website only gave me Chicago as an option for test driving but they were able to set me up at the Milwaukee service center 5 min from my house

TJChap2840
Sep 24, 2009
Roswell Goon Tesla meetup? :dance:

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Russian Bear posted:

Do you need the SUV space? Can you get by with a sedan? Both the prius prime and hyundai ioniq have 25 ish miles of ev range. Kia Niro if you want a hatch.

Not SUVs might be easier to find.

Note that some PHEVs cannot run heat without turning on the gas engine. The ioniq is one of these

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Russian Bear posted:

Do you need the SUV space? Can you get by with a sedan? Both the prius prime and hyundai ioniq have 25 ish miles of ev range. Kia Niro if you want a hatch.

I'm in a similar situation and the #1 complaint I have about my current sedan is that it bottoms out a lot when I go camping

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

The black trim looks really good with the red. Also, the panels seem fine, to my eye. Congratulations!

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?
Can't wait for extra airbags to be DLC. You get the one in the wheel for free. The rest are 9.99$/mo each.

5 star safety rating*

*terms and conditions apply

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Thanks guys. I'm a bit torn on black door handles vs the red paint, perhaps body color would work better. But the window trim works really well. The color itself looks very good in person. It's an expensive option but I would have regretted going for something else.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Warrior Princess posted:

Can't wait for extra airbags to be DLC. You get the one in the wheel for free. The rest are 9.99$/mo each.

5 star safety rating*

*terms and conditions apply

No problem. Just wait until you’re about to get in a wreck then purchase the upgrade.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

On-demand comprehensive insurance triggered by the emergency brake assist.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Ola posted:

This but the insurance company pays for the data and cancels your policy before the collision occurs.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

“You may begin breaking after this short ad”

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ruggan posted:

“You may begin breaking after this short ad”

That would be a deal braker.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Elephanthead posted:

This but the insurance company pays for the data and cancels your policy before the collision occurs.

There’s a big hubbub in the auto industry on who owns this data, and everyone’s trying to monetize it.

Cars as a subscription make it a lot easier for the OEMs since they own the car and all the associated data. They’ll get your browsing habits when you use the built in wifi too!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Saw a photo of a drive-in with L3 chargers at each stall.

This would be awesome for road trips.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

cruft posted:

Saw a photo of a drive-in with L3 chargers at each stall.

This would be awesome for road trips.

I prefer the alternative that is elsewhere, fast charging stalls next to a fast food restaurant so you can make a mess in there instead of in your car.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I'm rooting for wireless fast charging. Companies doing it are touting more than 90% efficiency while delivering >50kW.

https://momentumdynamics.com/

This poo poo's nothing at all like wireless charging pads at home.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
The charging network where I live is really underdeveloped. Hardly any fast charging—CCS or chademo—and only a smattering of level 2 stuff. Kind of surprised that more of the big retailers don’t have chargers in their parking lots.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Ola posted:

you get a little alert on your phone congratulating you for adding the additional package as you smash into the highway median

like in the later Fallout games, where you’ll trigger a hidden trap and get an achievement alert for something like “breaking your bones one hundred times” right before the bomb animation goes off

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

President Beep posted:

The charging network where I live is really underdeveloped. Hardly any fast charging—CCS or chademo—and only a smattering of level 2 stuff. Kind of surprised that more of the big retailers don’t have chargers in their parking lots.

This is the situation between here and where Cruft Jr wants to go to college, which is why I'm now eyeing the Chevy Bolt.

I can only do so much personally to get away from gasoline. I need the rest of the world to pitch in too, and right now, southern New Mexico is behind.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
hell yeah, that’s like what, three for three on Thread Titles?

I am a king. I have titled so many threads in so many subforums.

:reject:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I'm rooting for wireless fast charging. Companies doing it are touting more than 90% efficiency while delivering >50kW.

https://momentumdynamics.com/

This poo poo's nothing at all like wireless charging pads at home.

Probably a good way to keep rodents out of the car too :haw:

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

My problem with wireless charging built into the ground is that both surfaces - the ground and the bottom of the car - are vulnerable. The road surface wears out, even in parking lots, and needs to be resurfaced. How thick a layer of asphalt can this be efficient through? How many times can someone drive over it with a 2+ ton car before it gets too damaged to work? And the bottom surface of cars sees the most abuse through normal use. Gravel impact, bottoming out on rough rounds, etc. It just seems needlessly complex for saving literally ten seconds of getting out of your car and plugging in.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

I wonder about walking over it with a phone or even a wadded up piece of foil in my pocket. Wireless phone charging runs at pretty low power levels. EV charging by necessity would need to run at very high power levels. Or maybe your car is parked over its wireless charging pad and a mouse runs under the thing, or a kid tries to crawl under it or something.

Maybe I just don't understand the dynamics of electromagnetic fields well enough to know why this wouldn't actually be an issue.

But really, why pay thousands to have a charging pad installed in the floor when you can just pay a few hundred for an outlet/cable to plug the thing in with?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Antillie posted:

But really, why pay thousands to have a charging pad installed in the floor when you can just pay a few hundred for an outlet/cable to plug the thing in with?

A bus or taxi stopping to pick up passengers won't plug in for 2 minutes at a time. This tech won't replace the plug but it'll come in handy for vehicles that frequently stop at specific places.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Antillie posted:

I wonder about walking over it with a phone or even a wadded up piece of foil in my pocket. Wireless phone charging runs at pretty low power levels. EV charging by necessity would need to run at very high power levels. Or maybe your car is parked over its wireless charging pad and a mouse runs under the thing, or a kid tries to crawl under it or something.

Maybe I just don't understand the dynamics of electromagnetic fields well enough to know why this wouldn't actually be an issue.

Disney does this with their trackless rides. Ratatouille, Star Wars, and older/closed ones like Universe of Energy too. Each place the vehicle stops has a charging plate: load and unload but also places in the ride where it stops even if only a few seconds. It keeps all the vehicles charged to run constantly all day. However I'm not sure if they are wireless or a physical contact.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

cruft posted:

This is the situation between here and where Cruft Jr wants to go to college, which is why I'm now eyeing the Chevy Bolt.

I can only do so much personally to get away from gasoline. I need the rest of the world to pitch in too, and right now, southern New Mexico is behind.

I’m in SW Michigan and yeah, it’s pretty grim here, especially once you’re out in the sticks. I think it’ll start changing soon though. This isn’t necessarily an EV adoption hotspot but I see numerous Teslas daily along with a smattering of Leafs.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

Russian Bear posted:

They are. Unfortunately we go camping and skiing all the time so the extra space is pretty essential. AWD is also essential

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The EQS sound effects remind me of the Star Wars pod racers. The graphics are :pcgaming: as hell. But still cool in a way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD08Ok-NDxo

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Zero One posted:

Disney does this with their trackless rides. Ratatouille, Star Wars, and older/closed ones like Universe of Energy too. Each place the vehicle stops has a charging plate: load and unload but also places in the ride where it stops even if only a few seconds. It keeps all the vehicles charged to run constantly all day. However I'm not sure if they are wireless or a physical contact.

there are some tram systems in Europe that do this, I think, but it has a physical contact

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Can't wait to see Bjorn's 1000km test of the EQS. Will it beat the 9:20 time set by the Model 3 Long Range?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Can't wait to see Bjorn's 1000km test of the EQS. Will it beat the 9:20 time set by the Model 3 Long Range?

I think it will, at least a comparable winter time if he does it now. The 3LR time was set in July.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Ola posted:

I think it will, at least a comparable winter time if he does it now. The 3LR time was set in July.

You're right, a more fair comparison will be the EV6's 9:55 6-7C temps.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
I still desire the forbidden Honda e.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
You can now play video games on a Tesla screen when the car is in motion
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/12/teslas-center-screen-games-can-now-be-played-while-the-car-is-moving

Some potential games for Tesla drivers:

Grand Crash Auto
Grim Turismo
Carnage Crush
Mortal CarBreak
Stupid Smash Bro's
MineCrash