Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBeardedCrazy
Nov 23, 2004
Beer Baron

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I can't remember how slowly the Taint gets introduced in the first few books - maybe they just need to go hog-wild with the madness right from the start to really drive home what his story is about.

I remember it starting in book 3, he kills a merchant and her guards on the way to Tear because he thinks they might be darkfriends, then uses the power to pose their bodies bowing to him. It's implied he's right because there's an extra body he didn't notice before that's probably a gray man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
That's not really a madness thing though.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

RC Cola posted:

Thank you, and thank you eke out.

PS No one thinks its Rand. Generic boring white guy. He's done nothing but complain, and one time busted a door down. You have a badass wisdom who 1v1'd a trolloc with a knife, tracked down loving LAN, is being courted by multiple Aes Sedai to join their faction, AOE healed like 30 people at once, and was told she might be the most powerful channeler alive.
You have wolfpack Perrin who isn't AS cool, but has wolves following him and has golden eyes and seems like he's interesting.
You have Mat with the dagger, he's funny and interesting, he appears to be puking black/ maybe channeling?
You have Egwene who is smart with a backbone of steel. She won't cow down to the whitecloaks and cleverly helps Perrin escape.
People are going to be so disappointed at the Rand reveal lol.

Don't worry, there are plenty of people who think it's Rand because he's been getting the least buildup for it/is the most boring/is the most white

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Gwaihir posted:

That's not really a madness thing though.

Part of it isnt maybe. Part of it very much is though.

God that scene would own if they adapt it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there have definitely been subtle hints at it being rand for a bit now, they're just not insanely blatant red herrings. most misdirection will probably be from show-only people not having the full picture that stuff like the prologue and whatever might bring and not really having a full grasp of the setting yet. which is kind of the fault of that x-ray content poo poo being so goofy in terms of people randomly maybe knowing it exists or not.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Fwiw, my girl's prediction is Nynaeve. I'm honestly at the point where I'm wondering if it might be changed.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
The first thing that really hits Rand madness wise is book 4 I think, when he starts having stuff from Lews Therin leak in, before he's actually taking to him.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

genuinely thinking they would change who the dragon is is like flat earth-level conspiracy stuff, the overarching story as a whole literally would not work and rafe judkins himself would probably chew his own arm off before letting an amazon exec try to change that to anyone else for god knows what reason

nynaeve getting a super saiyan moment isn't even out of character for her, she's demonstrated as like straight up one of the most powerful channelers alive and is responsible for taking out multiple forsaken, a distinction shared only by uh. rand and moiraine? i think?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Johnny Joestar posted:

genuinely thinking they would change who the dragon is is like flat earth-level conspiracy stuff, the overarching story as a whole literally would not work and rafe judkins himself would probably chew his own arm off before letting an amazon exec try to change that to anyone else for god knows what reason

The thing is, they're doing such a great job throwing all the hints around and giving book reader specific jukes at us that it can cause anyone to second guess themselves.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

CainFortea posted:

The thing is, they're doing such a great job throwing all the hints around and giving book reader specific jukes at us that it can cause anyone to second guess themselves.

This, yeah, plus it's clear the show is its own turn of the Wheel, so why the hell not? Bring it on, I say. In the first few episodes they've done such a great job that they get my full support of any and all changes.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If they changed the story that fundamentally, when would they have had the time to do the extensive rewrites that would require?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I can't find the direct quote but there's a part in one of the earlier books where either Egwene or Nynaeve remembers Rand keeping a lamb warm all night and how proud he was and if they can take moments like that but make them said aloud I think it would go a long way to giving him some good characterization. But Rand also has a lot of good moments with Lan in book 2, when Lan realizes how hosed the kid truly is, so I'm hoping for more Rand focused stuff as he steps out as the main protagonist.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

This, yeah, plus it's clear the show is its own turn of the Wheel, so why the hell not? Bring it on, I say. In the first few episodes they've done such a great job that they get my full support of any and all changes.

I like all the other characters to much to want to see them stuck in a box though.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Eamon is the Dragon

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I have no idea on the perspective of a new viewer, but stuff like Rand saying he recognized that mountain followed by the bonus content with Siuan calling that mountain "Dragonmount" seems really blatant to me.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I can't find the direct quote but there's a part in one of the earlier books where either Egwene or Nynaeve remembers Rand keeping a lamb warm all night and how proud he was and if they can take moments like that but make them said aloud I think it would go a long way to giving him some good characterization. But Rand also has a lot of good moments with Lan in book 2, when Lan realizes how hosed the kid truly is, so I'm hoping for more Rand focused stuff as he steps out as the main protagonist.

they'll absolutely need to be bringing in some extra stuff for rand to add to it, and since we seem to know that we'll see the stuff with him and tam as flashback content in the upcoming episodes due to leaked stills i bet they'll throw in a few things to get people rooting for the guy

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I could watch Logain's actor for hours. I'm so glad he's getting a bigger part.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Fwiw, my girl's prediction is Nynaeve. I'm honestly at the point where I'm wondering if it might be changed.

They won't because of the dragon mount line, and a handful of other things, like him smashing through the door. Plus, there's departures from the books, and then there's departures from the loving books. I've been fine with the changes so far, but if they change Rand to not be freaking Rand, yeah, that would suck.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Yeah - despite whatever changes have happened, none of the main characters have had any real departure from their book arcs so far - Mat still has the dagger issue, Perrin has the wolves, Egwene can channel and wants to be Aes Sedai, Nynaeve can channel but doesn't like Aes Sedai, etc. There is no loving way they would have Rand not be the Dragon Reborn - what would he even do if not that? And the amount of rewriting would be astronomical. For what? One huge shock moment that only hits the people who are book readers?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

At that point, they're not adapting the source material, but squandering it. And squandering one of the bigger selling points, which is that this isn't gonna pull a Game of Thrones because the ending is already written and known to be really good.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

I do expect a lot of unhappy reactions to the Rand = Dragon reveal, but any damage to the show from that (which I doubt will be permanent) will be sorta self-inflicted by the decision to emphasize the mystery

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I don't know that it'll play out all that poorly considering the fate of men who can channel, which is getting built up a lot better via Logain than we had at this point in the books. I think if it was a typical chosen one story it'd be a lot more poorly received.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

It's not impossible to rewrite the story with another character as the Dragon.

You'd give that character's arc to Rand instead, and while there would be ramifications every step of the way, they'd be exactly the sort of ramifications that to good writers are an explosion of new avenues to explore.

But in this case? No, they're not making changes like that.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Guys the Dragon Reborn will not be changed

--Major Show Spoilers Don't Click--

The Dragons birth on the slopes of Dragonmount is in episode 7

https://www.bbfc.co.uk/release/the-wheel-of-time-q29sbgvjdglvbjpwwc0xmdawodgw

and so Is Tam

probably the Blood Snow scenes and maybe the fevered trip from their cottage to Emonds Field on Winternight too.

Hexel fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Dec 7, 2021

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Hexel posted:

Guys the Dragon Reborn will not be changed

--Major Show Spoilers Don't Click--

The Dragons birth on the slopes of Dragonmount is in episode 7

https://www.bbfc.co.uk/release/the-wheel-of-time-q29sbgvjdglvbjpwwc0xmdawodgw

and so Is Tam

probably the Blood Snow scenes and maybe the fevered trip from their cottage to Emonds Field on Winternight too.

man I wish you hadnt posted this

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

man I wish you hadnt posted this

I said not to click it :v:

Tbh we've known these things for months from the teaser and BTS images, it's just never been confirmed.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I thought we all knew that was Tigraine as the Aiel?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Barreft posted:

I thought we all knew that was Tigraine as the Aiel?

Maybe? I was more weirded out about there being no veil so I wasn't sure.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Hexel posted:

I said not to click it :v:

Tbh we've known these things for months from the teaser and BTS images, it's just never been confirmed.

I personally love that you posted this. So pumped for the next three weeks.

longtimelurker
Mar 12, 2006