Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

DarkDobe posted:

It's worse.

A technician determines they want a part.
They log in to the System, and submit a work order. This is fully digital, and the System can be accessed by supervisors, technical advisors, ordering clerks, anyone. But...
They print the work order and take it to the control office.
There, someone picks up the piece of paper, logs into the System and looks up the work order they are holding a copy of.
Some sort of magic determines if they agree to send the work order onwards to acquisition.
Eventually that piece of paper, otherwise unchanged, ends up in a tray for Purchasing section.
I take the paper(s) and sort them by priority (or what I feel like dealing with).
I log into the System, and open up the work order again.
Using the information therein I create a Purchase Requisition and print this.
Then its a game of telephoning vendors and bothering technicians for clarification because all they sent me was a paper with "Bolt, Steel, Quantity 4"
Eventually given a quote (also printed) I make up a Purchase Order. This is the only piece that ought to be printed as it is a final contract between us and the vendor that we are buying Thing for Price.
Once the piece is acquired, it needs to be Received- more paperwork in the System. More printing. This also requires a third party to complete so that I cannot 'receive' my own orders.
Then it needs to be Invoiced - yet again using the System.
Finally, I have a package including a printed Quote, Work Order, Requisition, Purchase Order, Receipt Slip, Vendor Invoice, Payment Receipt. All these need multiple signatures. More trays in and out!

That's not even getting into the end of month reconciliation (more printing out paper copies of digital System records) - or random accounting checks we have to do.
Or the fact that they want us to update a redundant list of work orders and their status, despite the System literally doing this - no, we need an external Excel sheet. Nobody reads this though, they just call us (or walk on) to ask where their parts are. Every day.

I am hired by this organization as an electronics and optics technician.

Cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Southern Germany be like

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hyperlynx posted:

Hm, yes, from a conference naming itself after the most vile and chaotic programming construct there is. Well, that's on brand I guess.

Dijkstra was a loving idiot. And so are you?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Bringing memes into real life

Sockser posted:

Alright I did the thing
And then shattered it while installing the LED but I’m not sitting around for another 5 hours wasting resin to do it again

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

When you're trying to do an upper-decker, Grey Havens Style, but the thing is burning hot.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Ask her about the Treaty of Trianon and what she thinks of the jews and roma

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

never noticed this before but this clip almost seems tailor made for a Jimmy Barnes mashup....

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Mr. Sunshine posted:

Are you at war with one or more gods? Because otherwise it's not a warcrime, just regular old crime. Go hog wild!

I mean, who isn't at war with a god on a daily basis?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Power Khan posted:

Ask her about the Treaty of Trianon

Is that the conspiracy theory that hilary eats babies?

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

The ol spicy orb

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Showed my wife the Excel memes and she could relate. A few years ago when she basically in an entry level position at her job her boss said "hey you know how to use excel right?" And she said sure and then spent a week watching YouTube tutorials until she grasped the basics.

Now she uses Excel everyday and has ascended to that boss' position and beyond.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

the teapot isn't fake. it is a real teapot made by the german company Melitta. a graphics researcher in the 1970s built the original model based on his own tea set and published the data for other researchers to use, since in those days it was really hard to build new 3d models, and as a result it became well-known in the graphics community.

the cg version looks squashed compared to the real thing because the computer he programmed it on used non-square pixels. if you view the model on his original system the proportions are correct.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is not a teapot.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Sagebrush posted:

the teapot isn't fake. it is a real teapot made by the german company Melitta. a graphics researcher in the 1970s built the original model based on his own tea set and published the data for other researchers to use, since in those days it was really hard to build new 3d models, and as a result it became well-known in the graphics community.

the cg version looks squashed compared to the real thing because the computer he programmed it on used non-square pixels. if you view the model on his original system the proportions are correct.

This is an IMPOSTOR!

I'm Melitta teapot!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah but I can't use that jpg to pour tea at all

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

can I interest you dudes in some Non Fungible Teapots?

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

OwlFancier posted:

Is that the conspiracy theory that hilary eats babies?

That's a "triathlont".

But no, ask a hungarian about the treaty of Trianon and you'll get an avalance of unhinged ranting about injustice of not being an empire anymore (read: literal prison for anyone except hungarians and trampling on the rights of everyone else). It's a deeply embeded and state sponsored chauvinistic myth, of "stolen greatness" and the "injustice" of ethnic hungarians ending up in the new formed nations. It's a really cheap and good tool to whip up the dumbest elements of society.

I don't think there's anything remotely comparable in the US. It's really intense. They have songs in church about this, collective, national processions and national grieving each year.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DandyLion posted:

can I interest you dudes in some Non Fungible Teapots?

Bertrand Russell spins in his grave

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Brawnfire posted:

I'm Melitta teapot!

Short and stout, this is my handle…

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Power Khan posted:

That's a "triathlont".

But no, ask a hungarian about the treaty of Trianon and you'll get an avalance of unhinged ranting about injustice of not being an empire anymore (read: literal prison for anyone except hungarians and trampling on the rights of everyone else). It's a deeply embeded and state sponsored chauvinistic myth, of "stolen greatness" and the "injustice" of ethnic hungarians ending up in the new formed nations. It's a really cheap and good tool to whip up the dumbest elements of society.

I don't think there's anything remotely comparable in the US. It's really intense. They have songs in church about this, collective, national processions and national grieving each year.

I asked the Hungarian guy I work with about trianon and he said "it's stupid" and refused to elaborate or talk about it any more. He's normally pretty racist so idk

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j7Go_GSgcU

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

you MODEL melitta? you squash her body like the football? oh! oh! jail for modeller! jail for modeller for One Thousand Years!!!!

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Antigravitas posted:

I could go into the firmware and manually set the time, but that would be admitting defeat.
Retune the kernel clock frequency so it catches up in an hour.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Antigravitas posted:

Southern Germany be like

south germany? you mean austria? :ducks:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Everything below the Elbe is Bavaria is basically Austria, I agree.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

thepopmonster posted:

you MODEL melitta? you squash her body like the football? oh! oh! jail for modeller! jail for modeller for One Thousand Years!!!!

:hmmyes:

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

"The real teapot is 33% taller (ratio 4:3)[5] than the computer model. Jim Blinn stated that he scaled the model on the vertical axis during a demo in the lab to demonstrate that they could manipulate it. They preferred the appearance of this new version and decided to save the file out of that preference."

sry kid, owned by wikipedia

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
This seems to be a good time to talk about computers and programming.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

wrong. begone, indoor boy

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Someone should make one of these for Malbolge where it starts off terrible and just gets worse

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Would all you non programmer computer touchers please spend one day learning regex ffs?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

ILL Machina posted:

Would all you non programmer computer touchers please spend one day learning regex ffs?

Why would you A: wish this on someone, and B: imply it takes one day?

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

ILL Machina posted:

what the gently caress is regex and why

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Indecisive posted:

People who know regex are the programming equivalent to those hipsters writing their novellas on an impact typewriter in a coffee shop.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ILL Machina posted:

Okay but only of you spend one day doing power line cable jointing

You pull tree branches off the lines for a shift and I'll touch your computer. Deal

some plague rats has a new favorite as of 01:52 on Dec 7, 2021

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Indecisive posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Indecisive posted:

It's a representation of a search term. Probably 90% of all of them are of the form "some word", and the only other thing that most probably care about is two words separated with some junk in the middle, so you say "word(anything)word".

But because writing all that is silly we just write "word.*word".

Obviously anything can be made more complicated (have you actually looked at the supported Google predicates lately?), and regular expressions are considerably more powerful, but seriously this is where most people begin.

Very few people care that regular expressions are "a formal grammar for a class of languages accepted by deterministic finite automata".