Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

It was good but cancelled out by the "guy fucks wheel of fortune" and "lobster loving" being the most astoundingly unfunny bits they've done in a fuckin while

I would like to know who in the writer's room pushes the "weird sexual fixation digressions" cause they are a weird running joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Holy poo poo the bids on the Duck Hunt painting have already passed $20k and three of the other paintings have passed $15k
https://www.ebay.com/e/charity/lastweektonight

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

The Duck Hunt one is back down to 10k. Phony bidder?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
The ducks judging the duck photos is obviously the best one. :colbert:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

rujasu posted:

The Duck Hunt one is back down to 10k. Phony bidder?

'Duck With a Pearl Earring' also dropped. Bidders over $2k have to register before they can place a bid but it looks like that security measure isn't weeding out the fake bids

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Skippy McPants posted:

I would like to know who in the writer's room pushes the "weird sexual fixation digressions" cause they are a weird running joke.

Every time this happens I think “huh John must have lost a bet this week”

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

New short, with the lucky winner of the car dealership commercial script

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nqJvjUNlRA

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I'm super disappointed that episode didn't end with John buying up dozens of surplus Taiwanese mascot costumes

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I am glad someone with a platform finally pointed out the hypocrisy of cops who kill people for losing a game of Simon Says because “civilians don’t know what it’s like to not know if you’ll make it home” now screaming that it isn’t fair to force them to do something to save their own, and other’s, lives.

No issue has ever made it more obvious that these people became police because it allowed them to do whatever they wanted, whenever they wanted, with no consequences. Oliver’s right: if they want to quit, gently caress ‘em.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I remember watching the world billiards almost 20 years ago and wondering "What the gently caress is this Chinese Taipei bullshit?!" before looking up the whole One China Policy. Glad to see some light on it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
New web exclusive content!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Kfx2fANELo

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Is Sneak King in there

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Azhais posted:

Is Sneak King in there

Or that chex-based doom clone from 1996

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

Chex is in and so is Pepsiman

It's amazing the Chex executive admitted to hiring a teen to develop the Doom reskin lmao

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A big one they missed was "Darkened Skye" which was a 3rd person action adventure game for the Gamecube that was pretty standard fantasy except all your magic was powered by Skittles.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Ignis posted:

It's amazing the Chex executive admitted to hiring a teen to develop the Doom reskin lmao

"oh yeah, we'd wait for him to get out of school at 3:30 and then he'd work for us until 11" :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Its a travesty they left out Sneak King. Possibly the creepiest stalker sim of a game ever.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

rujasu posted:

"oh yeah, we'd wait for him to get out of school at 3:30 and then he'd work for us until 11" :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck:

It was the '90s. The restaurant I worked for did the same thing with me, dude just had a better gig. :shrug:

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

It was the '90s. The restaurant I worked for did the same thing with me, dude just had a better gig. :shrug:

Oh I know. He just sounded so drat cheerful about it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
New web content out of nowhere, wtf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX5IV9n223M

Show returns in February

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
Have they always used a laugh track for the web exclusives? I noticed it on the last one, and I suppose it works for the format, but it just seems a little odd to me to even pretend to have a live audience for a short web thing during a hiatus.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I always thought they filmed them during regular tapings, but I've never been to one so I'm probably wrong

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Ignis posted:

I always thought they filmed them during regular tapings, but I've never been to one so I'm probably wrong

That's what I've always thought to. They're evergreen bits and they didn't add a laugh track to the void segments. A laugh track for this type of show would be death.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Jingleheimer posted:

Have they always used a laugh track for the web exclusives? I noticed it on the last one, and I suppose it works for the format, but it just seems a little odd to me to even pretend to have a live audience for a short web thing during a hiatus.

You think it was a laughtrack even though Jon stops the rant several times to joke about how the viewer is choosing to watch this far in contrast to the studio audience that didn't know it was going to happen and can't leave?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Yeah what is the version of goonfaceblindness where I thought there was an audience there and I guess missed the joke that it was a laugh track?
:ohdear:

Also I, too, sometimes think about the strange hold Dan Brown had on culture in the post-9/11 world and it probably has something to do with people wanting big explanations to intractable problems and maybe it's a commentary that the answer is actually pretty simple.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

You think it was a laughtrack even though Jon stops the rant several times to joke about how the viewer is choosing to watch this far in contrast to the studio audience that didn't know it was going to happen and can't leave?

Yeah that sounds pretty dumb. There very well may be an audience there, I just didn't think they would bother to bring people in for a 10 minute bit. I could definitely be wrong about the laugh track. The laughter just seemed pretty forced to me which made me question it.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I don't think any part of that deserved more than forced laughter

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Ignis posted:

This is certainly it, if they were doing it now it would be current stuff and they might as well do an actual episode at that point.

It's about Dan Brown because that will be the same amount of not-timely regardless of when they post it

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
John Oliver plainly stated that the audience was there for something else, and they were having to endure the Da Vinci routine unexpectedly. I took that to mean that the bit was recorded during the production of a regular episode.

I mean, forget the "why would they use canned laughter" question; why would they open up the studio, get John all dressed and made-up, and go through all of the logistics of producing that 10 minutes of content unless they were already there? The subject was non-topica,l and he made no references to any current events (as far as I can recall), so that segment has probably been in the can for a month or two.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Yeah, those are 100% pre-recorded during regular taping runs. Look at all those names appearing in the credits, there's absolutely no chance they just brought the entire staff together during the break to record a 5-minute YouTube bit.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Someone compare Oliver's wardrobe and figure out when they taped this bit! :argh:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The logic on display on this page is as stupid as this loving book

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The show returns Feb 20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lM51bR6Rypc

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Tonight's topic: Critical Race Theory

New thread for 2022 or should we stick with this one?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Just stick with this one and give it a new title.

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!
I don’t think I can watch this anymore. I’m as left-wing as they come but it’s getting more and more depressing every week. Still funny, but it’s harder to take the spoonful of sugar when the medicine is so disgusting. This last episode on unlawful convictions is just… harrowing.:cry:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Just think about how the state has executed innocent people and we can name at least one of them we know without a doubt didn't do it (and there are a bunch we can name where it's about 99.9 percent certain they didn't do it).

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I don't wanna both sides it because Russia is clearly the villain here, but the show buying into the Zelensky hero narrative just wants to make me wanna skip any stuff about Ukraine. I think more people should fuckin know about the Azov battalion though

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!
I know about the Azov Battalion, and I still don’t know if you mean this in a “good” way or a “bad” way…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Bad, they're bad