Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Saagonsa posted:

IVs are good. Breeding would be near pointless without them.

drat, you mean i wouldn't be forced to ride a bicycle in circles for hours on end? that really would be a shame to lose such a literal gameplay loop :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Breeding is fun, I like it. Sorry you don't.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Breeding lets you get egg moves, higher shiny rates and even outside of all that, it's just a simple way to get more Pokemon of the same species if you need them. IVs are not needed for breeding to have a role in the games.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I don't mind engaging with IVs but I won't pretend they're not just another example in a long line of players optimizing the fun out of a game - though if you've learned to love the grind, more power to you.

I like the idea of IVs still being around but having no way to interact with them, making perfect IVs akin to shinies and good event fodder.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I think IVs are less "players optimizing the fun out of a game" and more part of the disconnect between pokemon as a single player rpg and pokemon as a balanced competitive experience. Nobody bothers with getting perfect IVs if they want want to beat the elite four, they roll with what they get and if their ratatta is a little slower than most, well, that's fine.

But if you want to play pokemon competitively (which is legitimately a very fun and fairly well balanced experience), you need a level playing field, which means everyone needs the same IVs.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Deified Data posted:

I don't mind engaging with IVs but I won't pretend they're not just another example in a long line of players optimizing the fun out of a game - though if you've learned to love the grind, more power to you.

I like the idea of IVs still being around but having no way to interact with them, making perfect IVs akin to shinies and good event fodder.

Considering in game trainers can have pokemon with specifically perfect IV's and nature that's just giving players a disadvantage they can't address.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The player has enough advantages over the AI that Cynthia's perfect team still doesn't really level the playing field.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
One idea I've thought of is replacing IVs with some kind of species value. Then a hybrid Pokemon would have stats somewhat influenced by their other parent's species, on top of base states inherent to their species.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The player has enough advantages over the AI that Cynthia's perfect team still doesn't really level the playing field.

Imagine the competitive metagame where every player had access to a 64PP full health restore that cured all status ailments

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

You can cram vitamins and bottle caps now at any pokemon to make it competitively viable so unless you’re a purist about IVs you don’t even need to do that much.

(Unless D/P remakes dont have this)

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Accumulating the necessary resources for a competitively optimized team is a game unto itself, and one that a lot of people self-evidently enjoy. I think I've bred more optimized mons than I've actually played ranked matches.

If you don't want to play that game before entering multiplayer, in days of yore, the only real option you had was to play at a (usually slight) disadvantage - or hack, as some players did. In theory you could get a friend to breed for you, but who has friends? This is why they invented the rental team system.

Sword and Shield did a lot to make multiplayer more accessible by integrating the accumulation of PvP resources into the PvE multiplayer mode. BDSP doesn't have that, however. It does have the more generous modern breeding mechanics, however, which give you far more control over the numbers you're trying to optimize, not to mention Hyper Training. And they added a subtle mechanic to the underground where there's an indication if you encounter a genetically superior wild enemy.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Imagine the competitive metagame where every player had access to a 64PP full health restore that cured all status ailments

Consider this but also Max Revives.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Saagonsa posted:

Breeding is fun, I like it. Sorry you don't.

New thread title?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
If they want slight variations that make each pokemon unique, they should copy Stadium and alter the hue and saturation values of individual pokemon.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
I'm sure I'm just adding another tiny log to the fire here, but I caved and just got brilliant diamond to play through with my partner. I need to express just how loving janky this game feels.

The way the character collides with thin air when going around corners, the way the camera awkwardly snaps into a closeup for some trainer battles but not others, "would you like to use another one? - another WHAT, ILCA?", the poketch just kind of flatly being slapped onto the top of the screen...

It all just feels cheap and rushed. Which I'm sure it was.

I'm enjoying doing a blind nuzlocke of a gen 4 game since I'd never played DPP, but otherwise there's just a bunch of really weird design things that stick out to me.

Xander B Coolridge fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 6, 2021

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Snake Maze posted:

I think IVs are less "players optimizing the fun out of a game" and more part of the disconnect between pokemon as a single player rpg and pokemon as a balanced competitive experience. Nobody bothers with getting perfect IVs if they want want to beat the elite four, they roll with what they get and if their ratatta is a little slower than most, well, that's fine.

But if you want to play pokemon competitively (which is legitimately a very fun and fairly well balanced experience), you need a level playing field, which means everyone needs the same IVs.

I think it's important to note that in most, maybe all gens, you cannot actually measure IVs until after you beat the elite 4, so it's not just a matter of not wanting to, but being unable to. It's a symptom of the game tuned for 7 year olds being attached to the game balanced for adults.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Xander B Coolridge posted:

I'm sure I'm just adding another tiny log to the fire here, but I caved and just got brilliant diamond to play through with my partner. I need to express just how loving janky this game feels.

The way the character collides with thin air when going around corners, the way the camera awkwardly snaps into a closeup for some trainer battles but not others, "would you like to use another one? - another WHAT, ILCA?", the poketch just kind of flatly being slapped onto the top of the screen...

It all just feels cheap and rushed. Which I'm sure it was.

I'm enjoying doing a blind nuzlocke of a gen 4 game since I'd never played DPP, but otherwise there's just a bunch of really weird design things that stick out to me.

Another Repel. It's asking you if you want to use another Repel.

re: IVs, I found out post-game that my Belly Drum Aqua Jet Azumarill, who was 100% my MVP and tore massive holes in the Elite Four's teams, has a 0 Atk IV. :v: At least she has an Adamant nature, but she doesn't let her IVs get her down!

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I think the thing I most dislike about the gamefeel in this -- apart from the weirdly high input delay and the incredibly weird free movement through 1-tile gaps -- is how the engine is apparently incapable of triggering a battle without first resetting the camera to default. So you get this dramatic zoom-in on the chibi models, the Galactic admin or gym leader or whatever does their spiel, and then when the battle should start the game has to first take a second to reset the camera.

There's a lot like that in this game where you really feel the time crunch and/or lack of care for details. It's all minor nitpicks, yes, but it does kinda drag the moment-to-moment experience down, to me anyway.

Silver Falcon posted:

Another Repel. It's asking you if you want to use another Repel.

Yes obviously, but what they mean is that's literally all the message says. It doesn't say 'The Repel ran out, use another?', you literally get a message out of nowhere that without context says 'Would you like to use another one?' and it's incredibly jank.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I think the thing I most dislike about the gamefeel in this -- apart from the weirdly high input delay and the incredibly weird free movement through 1-tile gaps -- is how the engine is apparently incapable of triggering a battle without first resetting the camera to default. So you get this dramatic zoom-in on the chibi models, the Galactic admin or gym leader or whatever does their spiel, and then when the battle should start the game has to first take a second to reset the camera.

There's a lot like that in this game where you really feel the time crunch and/or lack of care for details. It's all minor nitpicks, yes, but it does kinda drag the moment-to-moment experience down, to me anyway.

Yes obviously, but what they mean is that's literally all the message says. It doesn't say 'The Repel ran out, use another?', you literally get a message out of nowhere that without context says 'Would you like to use another one?' and it's incredibly jank.

Ageeed. It's pretty easy to figure out having seen that window in past games, but it's still stupidly vague for no purpose whatsoever and fails to mention that your repel ran out at all.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
Thank you. Yes, of course I know it means a repel. It's just an example of one of the many small things that make this game feel... Amateurish.

I'm high school I used to download and play games made on RPGMaker by teenagers who clearly did not have a lot of experience or lacked resources, but nonetheless gave it go.

This feels like that.

The camera reset is another thing that bugged me but I forgot to mention, thank you.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Saagonsa posted:

IVs are good. Breeding would be near pointless without them.
chain breeding for egg moves is interesting and fun
e:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You can cram vitamins and bottle caps now at any pokemon to make it competitively viable so unless you’re a purist about IVs you don’t even need to do that much.

(Unless D/P remakes dont have this)
bottle caps would be good if
A: they weren't extremely rare/expensive
B: they could be used before level 100

as it is, it's faster to just breed for better ones, they only really exist to fix shiny pokemon

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Dec 7, 2021

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Shiroc posted:

The affection system is the truest match of mechanic and story. My Pokemon carrying through the Elite 4 and the Champion because of our shared love and trust.

It’s nice when a Pokémon will straight endure a fatal hit or shake off a status because it doesn’t want you to be sad. That’s probably the closest I get to actually caring about these summations of 1s and 0s these days. :(

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
If Battle Facilities and multiplayer can auto-set levels to 50 or 100 for the duration, then they can set IV’s to 31 too. And don’t whine “My 0 speed trick room build!” because when everyone has guaranteed 31’s that undercutting is all done by nature and EV.

The real question is how do you make it so putting all your EV’s into two and only two stats isn’t always the objectively best distribution. Soft Caps maybe?
Also make nature’s other than the -the attack stat I don’t use have a purpose.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

chain breeding for egg moves is interesting and fun
e:

bottle caps would be good if
A: they weren't extremely rare/expensive
B: they could be used before level 100

as it is, it's faster to just breed for better ones, they only really exist to fix shiny pokemon

Yes. This exactly. Basically it's not fun to force players into a disadvantage they have no real way of dealing with then saying "well you have healing items. Good enough."

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Blaziken386 posted:

Also monsters that cannot be bred or ones you have an extremely strong attachment to that you want to use competitively.

Basically Game Freak doesn't seem to want to completely overhaul the system for the main series that they've been using for years and years. If you think the fanbase was mad over dexit, imagine what would happen if they decided to pull what they did in the transition between Gen 2 and Gen 3 where literally nothing can be transferred and everyone has to start their collection from scratch once more.

So instead they've been sanding away the edges and barriers that keep people away from the multiplayer aspect without alienating players who are already there... Which also means keeping the same archaic mechanics. For example, they introduced things that make eggs hatch faster, instead of say, removing egg hatching times and just give you the baby Pokemon then and there.

Zuzie fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Dec 7, 2021

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

HootTheOwl posted:

Have you never gone up against the elite four and just felt their pokemon were tougher and stronger for their level?
no, elite 4 never seem strong

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Seriously guys i'm telling you my mons all have low ivs and that's why i'm getting my rear end kicked by Flint. There's definitely no other reason behind it.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
like I don't know if other people have different experiences here but when I was a kid I just considered elite 4/champion a convenient way to grind levels

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

What's up with this anyway? What's the reason behind the camera having to reset before the battle can start?

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Seriously guys i'm telling you my mons all have low ivs and that's why i'm getting my rear end kicked by Flint. There's definitely no other reason behind it.

I'd say I got my rear end kicked from Gen 4 and 5 because my team composition just wasn't that great. I mean Cynthia is in my opinion the hardest champion to beat--like ever. Leon loving who? I steam rolled Diantha but Alder was very difficult given my team as mentioned sucked in a lot of ways.

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
IV breeding is the end game for me, once I've completed the national Dex I spend most of my time breeding perfect IV mons.

The most frustrating part is I must have hatched several thousand eggs and never hatched a shiny.

If I could make a change it would be to make shininess inheritable and figure out some way to replace trade evos, I don't trust someone to tradeback my perfect IV Scizor.

Also bottle caps are cheating.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Flopsy posted:

I'd say I got my rear end kicked from Gen 4 and 5 because my team composition just wasn't that great. I mean Cynthia is in my opinion the hardest champion to beat--like ever. Leon loving who? I steam rolled Diantha but Alder was very difficult given my team as mentioned sucked in a lot of ways.

Cynthia may have been the hardest champion, but Ghetsis was the hardest end-game battle for me. I think it was the only one I actually almost lost.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Dec 7, 2021

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Butternubs posted:

IV breeding is the end game for me, once I've completed the national Dex I spend most of my time breeding perfect IV mons.

The most frustrating part is I must have hatched several thousand eggs and never hatched a shiny.

If I could make a change it would be to make shininess inheritable and figure out some way to replace trade evos, I don't trust someone to tradeback my perfect IV Scizor.

Trade evos are easy. Have a tradeback NPC, or better yet just make the Metal Coat usable, like a Fire Stone.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Butternubs posted:

Go into the Pokegoons Discord, seriously. They do trade backsie evolutions all the time there. I have never heard of somebody having their Pokemon stolen there, and if anyone did, whoever did it would be named, shamed, and banned. Can't imagine they'd tolerate poo poo like that in there.

Oh and you should go in there anyway because everyone in there is super nice, generous, and chill. If you ask people will give away their leftovers from their breeding projects for practically nothing.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I feel like I've forever made Pokemon games too easy because I use buff moves for hard fights even if I don't really need to, I just like the feeling of 1-shot sweeps after hitting Swords Dance or Nasty Plot a couple times.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I just never ever use healing items in battle. I’ll use a Sitrus berry or heal in-between, but using items in-battle isn’t a thing in the anime, so I always thought it was cheating.

And bottle caps are awesome but IVs still suck rear end.

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

Go into the Pokegoons Discord, seriously. They do trade backsie evolutions all the time there. I have never heard of somebody having their Pokemon stolen there, and if anyone did, whoever did it would be named, shamed, and banned. Can't imagine they'd tolerate poo poo like that in there.

Oh and you should go in there anyway because everyone in there is super nice, generous, and chill. If you ask people will give away their leftovers from their breeding projects for practically nothing.

I do! and I have actually got a perfect IV Scizor that I traded with a goon. But that's still too much socialising for me.

e: Do bottle cap IVs carry over between games? If I bottle cap a mon then trade it through home will it keep its new IVs?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Butternubs posted:

I do! and I have actually got a perfect IV Scizor that I traded with a goon. But that's still too much socialising for me.

e: Do bottle cap IVs carry over between games? If I bottle cap a mon then trade it through home will it keep its new IVs?

Yes.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Everyone always complains about Cynthia’s Garchomp but I’ve never had problems with it, somehow it’s always been her Roserade that kills me. That energy ball hits like a truck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

galagazombie posted:

Everyone always complains about Cynthia’s Garchomp but I’ve never had problems with it, somehow it’s always been her Roserade that kills me. That energy ball hits like a truck.

roserades can usually be killed by a stiff breeze and grass has lots of weaknesses albeit uncommon attacking types.