Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

Elephant Ambush posted:

Nobody wants to read a wall of text describing what large corporations need to change in order to be successfully agile.

If people ask I can post some bullet points and maybe a couple funny stories but otherwise I'm going to mostly lurk.

Funny stories please! :allears: :hf: :f5:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
A new maintenance supervisor once asked me to 'finish my business' before clocking in so I made a point of finding any excuse to return to the shop and go looking for him when he was taking a poo poo. He tried mixing it up but really underestimated how much I enjoyed catching him making GBS threads on company time after he had asked me not to. Usually I try not to get on people's bad side like that (even if they deserve it.) But there was no way I was ever going to see eye-to-eye with this asshat.

But pettiness breeds pettiness so that came back around. I called off one day and the shop manager assumed I only did it because someone else had already called off and I was just calling off to screw him over. Hey it's that guy that kept catching Edwin taking a poo poo. So they assumed I was calling off just to gently caress with them, PTO DECLINED. HE KNOWS WE ARE SHORT HANDED. :argh:

The reason I was calling off was because I had jury duty coming up that hadn't been cancelled. My company wouldn't give jury duty pay (as required by state law for 3+ days of jury duty) and instead paid us for jury duty out of our PTO. Edwin had already pressured me to use my PTO so I get 'full pay' and when I refused he told me that I had to use my PTO for jury duty. I knew their game so I used up all my PTO in advance of jury duty. They paid me for 4 days of jury duty out of my PTO anyways, leaving me with -32.0 hours PTO and then refused to correct it. Yup.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Sanctum posted:

The reason I was calling off was because I had jury duty coming up that hadn't been cancelled. My company wouldn't give jury duty pay (as required by state law for 3+ days of jury duty) and instead paid us for jury duty out of our PTO. Edwin had already pressured me to use my PTO so I get 'full pay' and when I refused he told me that I had to use my PTO for jury duty. I knew their game so I used up all my PTO in advance of jury duty. They paid me for 4 days of jury duty out of my PTO anyways, leaving me with -32.0 hours PTO and then refused to correct it. Yup.

Isn't that illegal?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Sanctum posted:

Dang that is messed up. My MegaCorp has issues but full pay for jury duty is routine. Last time I was at the courthouse it was distressing the number of prospective jurors sitting there nervously waiting for hours to offer a reason for recusal, three or four said "I have to be at work, I don't get paid for jury service and I'm already losing a full day by being here." They were all dismissed but it was humiliating to have to sit through the formality. Especially when we were later put in a room for both sides to look at for some asinine truck damage suit then we were sent back to a small room to learn they had decided to settle the case without the need for a jury.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

zedprime posted:

Why change anything at all? If you're employed your employer is obviously doing alright already. Just let it ride man.

:hmmyes:

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Really wish there was a good way of reporting Facebook posts. Two and a half years later my former boss still has that posts he made right after I put in my notice with my full legal name in both English and Japanese making claims about my visa status and warning others against hiring me. I have a fairly unique name so it comes up pretty quick in a google search. I can at least sort of explain it away, but it really upsets me knowing it's still there.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Escape From Noise posted:

Really wish there was a good way of reporting Facebook posts. Two and a half years later my former boss still has that posts he made right after I put in my notice with my full legal name in both English and Japanese making claims about my visa status and warning others against hiring me. I have a fairly unique name so it comes up pretty quick in a google search. I can at least sort of explain it away, but it really upsets me knowing it's still there.

I'm pretty sure that's illegal for at least one reason. For one, I'm sure it falls under the lines of Defamation of character, which focuses on hurting someone's reputation, possibly without merit or truth. It may be worth it to at least make a small claims against him. Hopefully when he receives the letter, he will respond by deleting the post. Since your name is unique, search engines probably have it indexed, so his post could still come up if people search for it. If he doesn't respond, and even worse, does not show up for the court date, then he'd have to pay whatever damages he owes to you.

e: I don't know where you live, and I'm only mentioning it since I've been through small claims for something else, and it isn't too expensive. In my case, it was only 40 bucks, but I also hired a constable to find the person. I'm not a lawyer, so you should still consult one.

Good Sphere fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Dec 7, 2021

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Good Sphere posted:

I'm pretty sure that's illegal for at least one reason. For one, I'm sure it falls under the lines of Defamation of character, which focuses on hurting someone's reputation, possibly without merit or truth. It may be worth it to at least make a small claims against him. Hopefully when he receives the letter, he will respond by deleting the post. Since your name is unique, search engines probably have it indexed, so his post could still come up if people search for it. If he doesn't respond, and even worse, does not show up for the court date, then he'd have to pay whatever damages he owes to you.

e: I don't know where you live, and I'm only mentioning it since I've been through small claims for something else, and it isn't too expensive. In my case, it was only 40 bucks, but I also hired a constable to find the person. I'm not a lawyer, so you should still consult one.

I considered this a while ago but as a non citizen I'm a bit hesitant to do that.

no_tears
Dec 20, 2020

Bing Bong
If you post a picture of your animal on Slack and say anything that eludes to it being overweight, the post will be deleted and you'll receive several DM's from individuals who say you're being spreading fat phobia.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

I considered this a while ago but as a non citizen I'm a bit hesitant to do that.

I'm pretty certain there would be no repercussions in your case, but also understand why you are hesitant.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

no_tears posted:

If you post a picture of your animal on Slack and say anything that eludes to it being overweight, the post will be deleted and you'll receive several DM's from individuals who say you're being spreading fat phobia.

Lol

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Good Sphere posted:

You can make a small claim if that exists wherever you are, but small claims courts often do not have plenary jurisdiction; i.e. they are only able to provide limited forms of relief, like damages from certain types of claims, and not able to do things like give a court order to tell a person to stop doing something (other than pay money). You making a small claim may still be enough to scare a person into taking some action, but you will need to figure out what your actual possible outcomes are if the person decides to fight.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Mantle posted:

You can make a small claim if that exists wherever you are, but small claims courts often do not have plenary jurisdiction; i.e. they are only able to provide limited forms of relief, like damages from certain types of claims, and not able to do things like give a court order to tell a person to stop doing something (other than pay money). You making a small claim may still be enough to scare a person into taking some action, but you will need to figure out what your actual possible outcomes are if the person decides to fight.

Sounds like he isn’t in the US since he mentioned Japanese but in the US you can find employment attorneys to take some real bullshit on contingency.

And a federal Pro Se lawsuit is only $400. gently caress small claims court. If you’re missing out on jobs $400 is nothing and you’ll end up settling for $2000+ anyway. They can’t even put a defense atty on retainer for that.

Again only for the US but…
I’m sure there’s something they didn’t reasonably accommodate.
Some overtime you didn’t get paid for.
Some protected status you have that was discriminated against…even if youre a 30yo cis het white dude

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Dec 7, 2021

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Mantle posted:

Exactly. I mentioned it based on their circumstance, where I see it's likely they'd choose to simply delete the post, especially if they had no proof of their post being truthful. Small claims try to resolve matters with mediation, instead of prolonging it or having the defendant pay an excessive amount of damages.

Again, I have no idea who this person is, and they could try to go all the way depending on how much of a god complex they have.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Elephant Ambush posted:

Nobody wants to read a wall of text describing what large corporations need to change in order to be successfully agile.

If people ask I can post some bullet points and maybe a couple funny stories but otherwise I'm going to mostly lurk.

Hey guys I've got some excellent content instead of the usual circle jerking, not sure if y-

:justpost:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

no_tears posted:

Please delete my post for posting my tubby girl best work buddy.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Good Sphere posted:

Exactly. I mentioned it based on their circumstance, where I see it's likely they'd choose to simply delete the post, especially if they had no proof of their post being truthful. Small claims try to resolve matters with mediation, instead of prolonging it or having the defendant pay an excessive amount of damages.

Again, I have no idea who this person is, and they could try to go all the way depending on how much of a god complex they have.

Yeah, I'm in Japan. I'm really hesitant to take legal action because I'm here on a work visa and the guy in question is a very wealthy narcissist.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Yeah, I'm in Japan. I'm really hesitant to take legal action because I'm here on a work visa and the guy in question is a very wealthy narcissist.

I feel ya. People like that suck, and they rarely get what they deserve.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Good Sphere posted:

I feel ya. People like that suck, and they rarely get what they deserve.

Yeah, it's just one of those things. It kills me how many people I know who still make excuses for him.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Does his phone have a fingerprint scanner? Coz you could steal his finger and use that to delete the post.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Outrail posted:

Does his phone have a fingerprint scanner? Coz you could steal his finger and use that to delete the post.

you really might as well take the whole hand in my experience

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Why do their pictures look like they were taken during a stakeout?

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

~Coxy posted:

TPS, Six Sigma, Lean, Agile, Kanban I assume they can all be good but people just cargo-cult the name and/or ceremony.

I'm glad I don't know what the gently caress any of these are

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I BELIEVE IN THE GREAT SHIRLEY!

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Thesaurus posted:

I'm glad I don't know what the gently caress any of these are

Theyre quality improvement processes to design or manufacture stuff except Agile/Kanban which are development/program management processes for making stuff with a lot of uncertainty and changing requirements.

I don’t get the “I’m proud to be ignorant” attitude toward processes that are hugely important to why cars last 3x longer, high quality electronics are super reliable, etc. It’s like being proud of not speaking Spanish. It’s fine you don’t but it’s dumb to be proud of it.

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

I had a neighbour once who was proud he had only read one book, it was baffling.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

CarForumPoster posted:

Theyre quality improvement processes to design or manufacture stuff except Agile/Kanban which are development/program management processes for making stuff with a lot of uncertainty and changing requirements.

I don’t get the “I’m proud to be ignorant” attitude toward processes that are hugely important to why cars last 3x longer, high quality electronics are super reliable, etc. It’s like being proud of not speaking Spanish. It’s fine you don’t but it’s dumb to be proud of it.

You must be really proud of your high school diploma.

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

Armauk posted:

Why do their pictures look like they were taken during a stakeout?

Manly men would never smile or (shudder) pose. What do you think they are? Chicks?

All the manly man types I work with have the shittiest pictures. It's the soft ones with computer-touching hands like me that have nice professional headshots that are well-lit and in focus.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

CarForumPoster posted:

Did you know the earth is actually flat? There's a huge amount of evidence hidden in the polish translation of dragon ball Z.

manpurse
Mar 19, 2007
My work declared Covid Is Over and EVERYONE is back to the office on Jan 17.

IT quickly informed them that no, it is not possible to wipe, reimage, and set up 550+ desktop computers in a day spread across 10+ locations in the city.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
imo we need less regulations on business

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Corporate showed up at my small science lab which is being outsourced to a Caribbean country in the beginning of next year

They got catered lunch ordered for them, and not a single one of them bothered to introduce themselves to us small time peons who, you know, produce the thing that makes them the money that gives them a job

Cool cool cool

Edit: no masks, too

rotinaj fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 7, 2021

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Tarkus posted:

For more people than I care to accept, work is an escape from home life and being forced to stay home and do double-duty and/or having to interact with their family is punishment to them. Also some people need that structure to keep working properly.

I have the opposite so gently caress em

Coatlicue
Sep 14, 2012

it doesn't matter
how fast or how far,
you're still runnin' like a fool

ovenboy posted:

I had a neighbour once who was proud he had only read one book, it was baffling.

What book was it?

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Coatlicue posted:

What book was it?

A collection of Garfield comics

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

CarForumPoster posted:

I'm happy for you and those cars, op, but I'm still glad I don't have to know any nerd management lingo to do my job

Oh, btw hablo español :smuggo:

Airconswitch
Aug 23, 2010

Boston is truly where it all began. Join me in continuing this bold endeavor, so that future generations can say 'this is where the promise was fulfilled.'

Coatlicue posted:

What book was it?

Gonna guess it's the KJV Bible

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

The last time I was treated to a presentation on lean six sigma or whatever bullshit was at either a mortgage servicing company or an outsourced customer service callcenter, neither of which benefited in any way from the magic MBA words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

When I was in college there was this guy who bragged about having never read any book except for school assignments and Lord of the Rings.