Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minister of Sound
Jan 1, 2007

Damn, I wish I was your lett'rer!

Skwirl posted:

I'm serious, who's the blue girl?

I believe it's Somnus.

edit: beaten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

site posted:

Yeah but given the time period that's a lotw bar and it was a worse replacement for a much better book. Give me another Taylor Laura/Gabby book instead

What did X-Men Red replace? All-New Wolverine turned into X-23.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

site posted:

why x-men red again

People are thinking that Storm starts her own X-Men on Arakko.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Dawgstar posted:

What did X-Men Red replace? All-New Wolverine turned into X-23.

ANW was cancelled and Taylor got shuffled to X-Men red, where he at least attempted to keep it going

site fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Dec 7, 2021

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Cloks posted:

I'm hoping against hope that Gillen is writing Immortal X-Men.

Gillen writing something from the line is an open secret at this point

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Cartridgeblowers posted:

Tag yourself I'm Iceman contemplating his orb

I'm Magneto looking wider than anyone else in the illustration except for maybe Juggernaut.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Leinel Yu is not good imo.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
https://twitter.com/rdauterman/status/1468253651726573570

Dauterman good imo

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

danbanana posted:

Dauterman good imo

I prefer his early work

https://twitter.com/rdauterman/status/1447956946464563203?s=20

I have to wonder if he stumbled upon his childhood drawing shortly before doing the Phoenix cover.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Skwirl posted:

I have to wonder if he stumbled upon his childhood drawing shortly before doing the Phoenix cover.

Don't be preposterous!

He had it hanging on the fridge.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Saoshyant posted:

Don't be preposterous!

Oh, I bet he had dinner at his parent's house that week and it was on theirs

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Saoshyant posted:

Don't be preposterous!

it's a childhood drawing of Phoenix, not a medical degree

the new Storm design is great, she's gotten a lot of love during the Hickman era.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Skwirl posted:

I prefer his early work

https://twitter.com/rdauterman/status/1447956946464563203?s=20

I can just hear little doodle Scott yelling "Jean!" in the background.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

yeah

https://twitter.com/kristaferanka/status/1468272369940799496

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I love that Storm design, but I do wish if they were going back to a version of the punk look with the mohawk they shaved the sides of her head.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

danbanana posted:

Leinel Yu is not good imo.

Yeah I'm with you. Some of his static images can look good but it's the storytelling aspect of his art that really falls flat for me. Awkward panel layout and flow, but I lack the vocab to fully explain why I think so.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

nemesis_hub posted:

Awkward panel layout and flow, but I lack the vocab to fully explain why I think so.

You might even say you are the Leinel Yu of forum posting :dumbrim:

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

nemesis_hub posted:

Yeah I'm with you. Some of his static images can look good but it's the storytelling aspect of his art that really falls flat for me. Awkward panel layout and flow, but I lack the vocab to fully explain why I think so.

That pinup is a static panel that looks like he drew each individual at a slightly different scale and awkwardly photoshopped them altogether. I do not understand the appeal of his work at all, which doesn't even look cool to make up for the lack of composition/action/story-telling skills.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's very odd to me that the thing is called Destiny of X and you... don't put Destiny in the front? Have her and Mystique embracing where Charles is and he and Magneto can flank them.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Had to double check, and make sure he didn’t sneak Howard the Duck somewhere in there.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

nemesis_hub posted:

Superman Birthright was good, but I guess Waid took more time to direct the panel layouts. Bendis and Hickman let him do whatever, and it shows.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Lenil Yu on New Avengers kicked rear end at the time. Black costume Spider-Man, Doctor Strange, Wolverine, and Ronin all looked great.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I enjoyed the latest Juggernaut book so hopefully they're trying to mix that in a bit.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

He was teased as part of Legion’s gag.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Deadpool and Juggernaut are gonna show up in X-Men Unlimited, too

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Ending of Marauders was amazing, really sad to see this book go. I wonder if there will ever be another book that makes me care about Greycrow or Orphanmaker as much. Inferno also great, really what I wanted more of after HOX (but I did enjoy all the inbetween time). Very great seeing Destiny/Emma interactions too.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Inferno #3: :psyduck:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Seriously what the loving gently caress. :psypop:

Raven is such a massive bitch, you get revealed that all those time(s?) you went after Moira poo poo goes bad for Mutanity, granted every time goes bad for Mutanity, so lets just lop off an arm to send a message??? To what end? Also Doug having enough foresight to have back channel comms to Krakoa so he knows he's not getting the wool pulled over his eyes was pretty loving great.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Jiro posted:

Seriously what the loving gently caress. :psypop:

Raven is such a massive bitch, you get revealed that all those time(s?) you went after Moira poo poo goes bad for Mutanity, granted every time goes bad for Mutanity, so lets just lop off an arm to send a message??? To what end? Also Doug having enough foresight to have back channel comms to Krakoa so he knows he's not getting the wool pulled over his eyes was pretty loving great.

Pretty sure they don't intend to stop at taking her arm. That was just to throw off Magneto's tracking.

More interesting is the fact that Krakoa actually works. It works so drat well they're stomping out Dominions. Of course, future Karima's presence now jeopardizes that.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
drat, am I hyped for Gillen returning to the X-books. He did amazing work on his original run given how much of it had to tie into event books he wasn't writing (Schism, Fear Itself, and especially AvX), and I've always wondered what he could have done had he been given a freer hand by editorial; maybe now we'll get to find out

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1468643182950985730

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Maybe I'm leaping to conclusions with Inferno but the way that Doug, Warlock, and Krakoa have just casually undermined all of Moira, Chuck, and Magneto's scheming, plus Omega Sentinel basically being Machine-Moira points me towards a "mutant-machine co-existence" type ending, or at least a significant postponement of hostilities. Mass Effect vibes.

Hellions had a good ending, but I really hoping someone would bring up the part where sending out children (be they teenagers or just developmentally arrested) as part of paramilitary teams is a bad idea. But then again I guess that's just mutant culture!

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

OnimaruXLR posted:

Maybe I'm leaping to conclusions with Inferno but the way that Doug, Warlock, and Krakoa have just casually undermined all of Moira, Chuck, and Magneto's scheming, plus Omega Sentinel basically being Machine-Moira points me towards a "mutant-machine co-existence" type ending, or at least a significant postponement of hostilities. Mass Effect vibes.

When Omega was telling her story, she mentioned the "Trickster Titan - betrayer and coward of its brother and sister machines." That's Warlock, right? Warlock gonna get big like Doug's wife! But I think that's the conclusion in her future: Warlock-Doug-Krakoa broker into a mutant-machine alliance and that's where things go bad for humanity and the Dominions.

I do like the involvement of the Children of the Vault, tying those drat good X-Men issues in.

Also, I wouldn't say Omega is machine-moira. They're more like Machine-Kate-Pryde from DOFP. She's just a time traveller, not a multiverse destroyer.

But I think I'm fully in the boat of "this mini series should have been 8-10 issues." HoXPoX worked because it allowed Hickman his space to really explain the cool ideas he has (this issue's example is the Doug reveal, which could have been just a page but Hickman absolutely needs to explain every step to get there) while ramping up the big moments. There's a LOT in this issue, compared to the last one, which makes the pacing feel weird. Maybe a reread once it's done and whole might change that opinion but this felt a bit rushed, in my opinion. Still, cool poo poo- even if things like the Omega Sentinel stuff is out of the blue.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Barry Convex posted:

drat, am I hyped for Gillen returning to the X-books. He did amazing work on his original run given how much of it had to tie into event books he wasn't writing (Schism, Fear Itself, and especially AvX), and I've always wondered what he could have done had he been given a freer hand by editorial; maybe now we'll get to find out

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1468643182950985730

Poor Mags, replaced by the literal Reaper.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

danbanana posted:

When Omega was telling her story, she mentioned the "Trickster Titan - betrayer and coward of its brother and sister machines." That's Warlock, right? Warlock gonna get big like Doug's wife! But I think that's the conclusion in her future: Warlock-Doug-Krakoa broker into a mutant-machine alliance and that's where things go bad for humanity and the Dominions.

I do like the involvement of the Children of the Vault, tying those drat good X-Men issues in.

Also, I wouldn't say Omega is machine-moira. They're more like Machine-Kate-Pryde from DOFP. She's just a time traveller, not a multiverse destroyer.

But I think I'm fully in the boat of "this mini series should have been 8-10 issues." HoXPoX worked because it allowed Hickman his space to really explain the cool ideas he has (this issue's example is the Doug reveal, which could have been just a page but Hickman absolutely needs to explain every step to get there) while ramping up the big moments. There's a LOT in this issue, compared to the last one, which makes the pacing feel weird. Maybe a reread once it's done and whole might change that opinion but this felt a bit rushed, in my opinion. Still, cool poo poo- even if things like the Omega Sentinel stuff is out of the blue.

I hadn't thought that Warlock would be a "Trickster Titan" that's an interesting wrinkle. But then again if it was Warlock doing that, wouldn't that mean he's effectively loving over everyone?

And future Omega Sentinel is just some weird future mega racist cyborg? Or am I interpreting that wrong? This being wants that future where humanity gets absorbed into the mega structures of the Phalanx Gods right?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Cloks posted:

I'm hoping against hope that Gillen is writing Immortal X-Men.

Good news for whoever posted this.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Jiro posted:

I hadn't thought that Warlock would be a "Trickster Titan" that's an interesting wrinkle. But then again if it was Warlock doing that, wouldn't that mean he's effectively loving over everyone?

And future Omega Sentinel is just some weird future mega racist cyborg? Or am I interpreting that wrong? This being wants that future where humanity gets absorbed into the mega structures of the Phalanx Gods right?

Yeah if my reading is right, it would certainly mean that there's an alliance shift there, assuming the time travel thing was intended to... work. Maybe Trickster Titans just like sending people back in time to see what happens?

I think this Omega is the same as the 616 (Karima Shapandar) version just from a different timeline and that Omega Sentinel wasn't racist but a sleeper-cell type Sentinel created by Bastion to murder tertiary x-characters.

There's a big interesting wrinkle in her line that she develops in her future in 2 years from the story right now. But the timeline doesn't show that. It shows her getting made pre-OG Nimrod (the one from the Claremont run I assume). Unless the timelines are purposely offset but that's pretty loving bad info design from info design lovers.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
I guess this also brings up where's the other Omega Sentinel?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

The mood today:

One of my favourite books of the Hickman era.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gillen included his full email to the X-Men editor in his latest newsletter:

quote:

Obviously, I was delighted when I heard that Jon was leaving the X-office, due to our ancient rivalry. It’s a complicated story, and involves several duels, all of which I lost. Suffice to say, I have sworn to never enter any office where he is present. When news reached me he was leaving, I realised it was time to sneak in the back door. For a good month or two, I was lurking around pretending to be Jonathan. I donned a disguise (a wig, a different accent, a series of gnomic diagrams as my zoom background) and sort of hung around, making pronouncements. I have since learned everyone realised it was me immediately, but felt so bad for me they decided I could stay.

This speaks to what a lovely place the X-office is, now that Jon has left. In fact, it’s mildly annoying to know that this wonderful, supportive environment for creators has gerinated around thrice-damned Jon’s foundations. It’s unlike anywhere I’ve been during my time in Work-For-Hire comics, half-gang, half symposium. I find myself thinking in many ways the X-Office’s set-up mirrors the comics itself. The X-men are about the new, and this feels like a petri dish, pushing towards the future of comics. And I hate to admit it - I really do, like Doctor Doom having to say “nice one!” to Reed - Jon’s climax of Inferno has started a thousand fires in the office.

So, the match is lit, and IMMORTAL X-MEN is a book about the burning. To speak in a Hickmanian idiom, this is the New Avengers to Gerry’s Avengers. This is the book about Krakoa, and the Quiet council, with all its muffled screams. It’s about a group of people, some of whom are convinced they’re in the West Wing, some who have designs to be in House of Cards and at least one who knows they’re in Veep. It’s big ideas, politics, fights and fashion, lies, creation and destruction, all told across the widest possible canvas, in time and space. It’s some characters I’ve written before, with the volume turned up. It’s me falling in love with some characters I’ve never touched. It’s me somehow talking Marvel into paying me for having this much fun. .

Returning to the Inferno nod, Lucas Werneck is basically fire on the page. He’s someone who absolutely nails the tone of the book. When we do quiet and real, the characters have so much charisma it feels like stars are on the page. When we do big and impossible, he makes it real, and takes your breath away. Mark Brooks on covers is another treat. His gifts in creating form and charisma are obvious, but he’s throwing ideas at the page with a huge velocity. People are going to be poring over his first cover like it’s a piece of art at the heart of a conspiracy, as if every line means something. Which is lucky, because it does.

Immortal X-men. Hated. Feared. Forever.

TL;DR: I am very happy to be in the X-office, please can I stay a while, I will write comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Getting worried no one seems to give a poo poo about night crawlers beard and robe look from the end of Way, haven't seen it show up since.