Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Love to stare at dead trees and hallucinate intricate worlds and stories

books and video games and the Switch all rule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Commander Keene posted:

or it may be because the Switch technically thinks there's a USB controller connected and as such doesn't care about the battery status of the controller.

almost certainly this. possibly they could add an LED on the adapter itself to be an indicator, but they can't make the switch tell you.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 22, 2021

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/zh_switch/status/1467990515584962564?t=_MdV7itgL3HmuyS28ph2nA&s=19

Get stunted on bitch!!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

b_d posted:

almost certainly this. possibly they could add an LED on the adapter itself to be an indicator, but they can't make the switch tell you.
Most of the wireless controllers I've used have an indicator light that indicates low/critical battery status anyways, so I kind of see the constant "hey your battery is low you should do something about it" popup on my Switch as a mild annoyance, but it does exist on the actual wireless controllers.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Finally got a Nintendo Switch OLED :toot:

Found one at an Amazon 4 Star. Actually, they had about 20 in stock. If you happen to live near one, its worth it to check it out if you are looking for an OLED. They keep them behind the counter and don't advertise they have them at all.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Augus posted:

ive tried reading books before but they did not provide enough extreme sensory duress for my liking.
does anybody know any books that just straight up give you a seizure?

Try anything by Tom Robbins. Or House of Leaves.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
House Of Leaves is nuts, it's like reading about the twisting hallway in Ocarina Of Time

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

cum jabbar posted:

House Of Leaves is nuts, it's like reading about the twisting hallway in Ocarina Of Time

I made the mistake of reading it before bed. I need to read it again actually, I haven't since it was new.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
My favorite book is Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I’m reading Dune for the fourth of fifth time. It’s better every time.

Also Dread still owns. Holy moly the wide beam is making me feel like a real badass and I suspect the real badassery hasn’t even begun yet.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They should make a Judge Dredd licensed Metroidvania where you infiltrate an enemy base and call it Metro Dredd

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Feels Villeneuve posted:

what is the most sensory duress you have experienced in a video game. mine is when i turned my monitor off

Realtalk and not Switch but mine is shelled in then middle of a fight in Verdun. Disorienting and terrifying, you wonder how anyone could come out of that with their mind intact

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Wildtortilla posted:

Also Dread still owns. Holy moly the wide beam is making me feel like a real badass and I suspect the real badassery hasn’t even begun yet.

It really hasn’t.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

They should make a Judge Dredd licensed Metroidvania where you infiltrate an enemy base and call it Metro Dredd

Yes, yep, yeah 👍

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Wildtortilla posted:

You are in for an absolute ride. The body language in Dread is *chef kiss*.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Mega64 posted:

My favorite book is Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney DANGANRONPA

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
A Dragon! On Pa!?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I just googled it and found out Danganronpa means BULLET REBUTTAL

which owns

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
These games are for juveniles or perverts and not for the intellectual, now if you'll excuse me I must to return to my Nabokov...

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The book with the most words known in the English language is Super Paper Mario

That's why they couldn't put any dialogue in future paper Mario games, they ran out

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Oscar Wild posted:

These games are for juveniles or perverts and not for the intellectual, now if you'll excuse me I must to return to my Nabokov...
Don't stand so close to me.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Walla posted:

I made the mistake of reading it before bed. I need to read it again actually, I haven't since it was new.

House of Leaves is the only book that has ever actually startled me and made me jump (a little).

It was when Billy heard the knocking in the house. I was so pulled into that whole story, visualizing, like I was truly there, that my mind kind of took it too far, and it was almost like I heard it, too.

Anyway, so I'm playing the original (Famicom) Donkey Kong, trying to see just how crazy it can get. I'm at my 4th run-through, and I'm wondering how the hell you get past those bouncing 'jacks' or whatever they are in the second stage? I don't know if the level is officially called "75m" but that's what it's called in Smash Bros; the one with the moving platforms.

How do you even climb up that last part?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Alan_Shore posted:

I just googled it and found out Danganronpa means BULLET REBUTTAL

which owns

I somehow never knew this despite playing the entire series and I think I just assumed it was a made up word

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

My friend loaned me Pokémon Sword when I got my Switch and after the 4th gym I gave up. I don’t understand why a grown adult would play these games. There are lots and lots of games, like this, but for adults. These are not those games.

Imagine you are at a party and a 30 year old woman tells you that Blue’s Clues or whatever is her favorite show, that’s how I feel about my married adult friends obsessing over catching a “shiny” Lapras or whatever.

It’s not just that it’s written at a 3rd grade reading level, it’s that mechanically it’s about as demanding as riding a bike down hill, and the monsters are cute but they are barely even animated! If the game actually showed the Pokémon doing sweet wrestling moves and having cool fights, suddenly this game would make sense. I’d play the duck out of that game. But every Pokémon is just standing still, jumping in place one hop for every attack.

This is a billion dollar IP, where the gently caress is that money going? Definitely not to game dev, that’s for sure.

I don’t want to come off as hostile, so please don’t get confused. I don’t think you’re a baby if you like Pokémon. I like lots of childish things. But Pokémon is decidedly a young children’s video game, aimed at young children, and if Pokémon is your favorite game and you obsess over it then your basically an adult My Little Pony fan, same breed of nerd.

You could write something actually funny using 1/10th of that many words.

Well, maybe not you.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Is Bust Rodd still too embarrassed to keep playing Super Mario Odyssey after he realised he didn't need to level up Mario to unlock his jumps

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Is Bust Rodd still too embarrassed to keep playing Super Mario Odyssey after he realised he didn't need to level up Mario to unlock his jumps

lol what

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Commander Keene posted:

Don't stand so close to me.

I didn't think people were acquainted with Aristophanes

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Yeah, that just sounds far fetched.

I've never seen Bust Rodd be embarrassed by anything.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

which first party games are bad and should be avoided 😡

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
1 2 Switch

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Google Butt posted:

which first party games are bad and should be avoided 😡

Super Mario party

sailormoon
Jun 28, 2014

fighting evil by moonlight
winning love by daylight

why would you read a book if they make 2 hour movies of all the good ones

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
Every time I read this book it’s just Tom Sawyer but in FF14 I can name the character anything qed

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I dislike the Pokemon games, but in a normal way where I don't sound like a freaking loser

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I miss when Yoshi games were for me, a baby

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

please tell us more about this

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
That’s the whole story, I played through the dinosaur and the desert level wondering when the game would give me a tutorial or cutscene that unlocks all of Mario’s really cool jumps, like the hat dive or the long jump, and finally I got frustrated and watched a video and realized I had all those moves already and was like “whutevwr mario sux”

I literally haven’t played a Mario game since getting all the stars in Mario 64 when I was like 12, lol

Oh well, back to perfectly no damaging the hardest Sekiro bosses or getting SSS ranks in Devil May Cry 5, Mario is too tough for me!

not enough sensory duress

Also, to clarify, I don’t dislike books or not own/read books. I have a big fat bookshelf full of real books, lotta big classics and my favorite fantasy stuff like Terry Pratchet and Ursula Le Guin.

I’ve just found over the last 5-6 years, if I’ve got a few hours to kill, I’m just reaching for my Switch or my Dual shock before I’m loading up Amazon to search for a new book.

I recently bought the complete Hellboy omnibus as a Black Friday gift to myself and just laying in bed holding a physical book in my hands last night was positively old school but I was still reading for like 3-4 hours last night.

Last book I bought before that was probably… Norm Macdonald’s Memoir?

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

please stop posting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Procrastine posted:

please stop posting

U first bb