Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Shneak posted:

Christopher Chibnall you will pay for your crimes.

history indicates otherwise but whatever helps you sleep at night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

There's some quite good stuff in this season, but some not so great stuff and the whole thing feels like 8-9 episodes worth of content jammed into 6, so a fair amount gets skipped over, forgotten or given very short service or simply left unaddressed. You can certainly catch up on the full season in a week easily though, so I'd say go ahead: after all, Doctor Who fans can't agree on anything so you'll only really know if you like this season by watching it yourself v:shobon:v

Thanks! I will next week when I'm on vacation.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Khanstant posted:

Really wish RTD got at least one 13 season.

Join me in "Wishing Moffat got at least one 10 season" suffering

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

At least Moffat got to have 10 for Day of the Doctor, which was fantastic. I'm hoping Jodie appears in the 60th Anniversary though she might end up doing the "I only just left I don't want to come straight back" thing which would be a drat shame.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
That was ok until the end. And even then ehhhhh.. should havent have stopped the other sontarens escsping. But the doctor has never shied away from casual massacre so meh.

In my head I ended up comparing it to moffats first season, which If you pay too much attention also doesn't make a lot of sense... But it feels like it does in a mostly satisfied way. Flux didnt. Felt messy and a waste of time. But still more good bits than the rest of chibnals run, and at least the bad bit and the mess felt like it wasnt as bad .

Also hated it.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
Chibnell landed about as well as expected, maybe a little better, but it wasn't great.

At least the Master didn't show up again on Ether.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
I guess I'd prefer it didn't exist at all - the doctor being special over 60 years of televised adventures should be enough - but if the character herself decides she's not interested then it's the best backtrack I can get on board with.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

shades of eternity posted:

Chibnell landed about as well as expected, maybe a little better, but it wasn't great.

At least the Master didn't show up again on Ether.

I mean, honestly I've enjoyed the whole six parter, and I enjoyed the finale. This might be because I've been expecting the ending to be terrible, and it merely turned out to be slightly rushed and incoherent, but entertaining.

I'll take entertaining at this point.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I'm never bothered by a technobabble problem having a technobabble solution, though it's not good writing either.

But I do wish any of the victories were earned.

This season had a good if not great start and a weak if not awful end

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Infinitum posted:

Join me in "Wishing Moffat got at least one 10 season" suffering

Doesn't look like he's too busy, maybe when they try to go full-blown MCU we can get em both back. No reason only one doctor show has to be on at a time, no reason they can't focus on old Doctor adventures, always infinite time/room for those, or some contrivance to bring em into the "current" time. Then we just mix and match Doctors, directors, and writers around until we get all the best combos.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Four: This is a pickle. What do you think we should do, Master from the Inferno Universe?
Master from the Inferno Universe: :supaburn:

River: Shouldn’t someone put him out?
Six: It’s the Master. He’s always put out.
Rani (to Two): I have a poison here that should kill all of them quickly.
Two (to Rani): No, let’s see where this goes.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

None of that finale/season made one tiny bit of goddamn sense.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

after skimming the last couple pages, I'm glad I haven't watched the new season

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

1000 Sweaty Rikers posted:

after skimming the last couple pages, I'm glad I haven't watched the new season

:hfive:

Speaking of timeloops, which may or may not have been in this series, may I recommend playing Deathloop, a fun game not written by Chris Chibnall? And if that's not up your alley, how about The Ambassadors of Death, which remains a very good serial and has excellent cliffhangers that the series should have learned from?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
When I get a PS5, Deathloop will be my first game, it looks so much fun.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Deathloop ruled, as does The Ambassadors......

OF DEATH!

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
PTCHWEEOOOO!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Perfect time for BF to announce this then:

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1468233851596124164?s=20

BIgDevine
Sep 24, 2018

Wolfechu posted:

I mean, honestly I've enjoyed the whole six parter, and I enjoyed the finale. This might be because I've been expecting the ending to be terrible, and it merely turned out to be slightly rushed and incoherent, but entertaining.

I'll take entertaining at this point.

I could t to put it in a better way myself! It’s was definitely entertaining! Lots of new ideas and concepts to build upon were introduced aswell. Hopefully we will see more of the passenger I like the idea of it or the angels working together to achieve a higher goal! The angels were definitely expanded on and probably will open the doors to new episodes about this. The angels have always been my favourite

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

So I did something I haven't done in quite some time: sat down and watched some 1980s Doctor Who, starting with Davison's first season.

Castrovalva - enjoyable debut for the Fifth Doctor, and it's always good to see Michael Sheard in DW.

Four to Doomsday - I would say "from the sublime to the ridiculous" but Time-Flight isn't until the end of the season. It's not a bad episode per se, but it ain't a great one, either. Already getting sick of Tegan's whining about wanting to go be an air hostess instead of having adventures in space and time; and on that note, if she can quickly sketch detailed fashion designs and speak an Aboriginal Australian tongue fluently enough to converse with a man who left Australia thousands of years previously, why the gently caress is she carping about being an air hostess when she could be a top fashion designer or teach ancient languages in a university instead? Oh, and Nyssa got the vapors apparently.

Kinda - back on more solid footing. Boy, Adric does love to play that "villain takes him under his wing" card a whole lot. But otherwise a really great episode (especially in the dream sequences with Janet Fielding), let down only by the giant inflatable snake at the end. Also, it's probably the closest we'll see Five come to a romantic relationship similar to One's "marriage" to a lady in The Aztecs. Oh, Nyssa's better now.

The Visitation - pretty enjoyable episode, though again I'm really getting irritated with Tegan griping about going back to serve drinks on planes instead of seeing the wonders of the universe. The actor playing Mace hams it up for all it's worth, but since the character himself is a large slab of hammy actor, it's actually fine.

Black Orchid - I want to like this episode but between the whole "Nyssa meets her exact double" thing, the Doctor showing the local police the TARDIS as his alibi like it's no big deal, Tegan knowing how to do the Charleston, and Adric's eating...well, as Colonel Montgomery Python once said, this is all getting rather silly. It's wonderfully realized in terms of the costumes and visuals, though.

Earthshock - actually far bleaker than I remembered it being, and even the much-maligned Adric's death had a lot more gravity to it than I'd originally thought. Some dud moments here and there, but overall a good episode.

Time-Flight - okay, now we're at the ridiculous part.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

(I have to admit back in the day I found Tegan's constant winging endearing)

Thoughts on the finale: what? Who? Why? Whateverthelivingfuck

Please click like and subscribe for more insightful posts

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

(especially in the dream sequences with Janet Fielding),

I can't remember if it is that story or Snakedance where Fielding is in the void and plays as something simultaneously seductive and demonic to allow the Mara to get its hands on some poor hapless bastard? Either way, it was really done well and was a pretty dramatic departure from how she normally played Tegan.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

the much-maligned Adric's death

Your auto-correct must have screwed with your post, this is meant to read "much-celebrated" :eng101:

Edit: Oh wait, I just realized you meant the much-maligned Adric, as opposed to the death itself! :doh:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Jerusalem posted:

Your auto-correct must have screwed with your post, this is meant to read "much-celebrated" :eng101:

Adric had it coming

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Edit: Oh wait, I just realized you meant the much-maligned Adric, as opposed to the death itself! :doh:

Oh yeah, I mean the death was great :v:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Bilirubin posted:

(I have to admit back in the day I found Tegan's constant winging endearing)

Don't get me wrong, I love Tegan otherwise (and I definitely had a youthful crush on Janet Fielding back in the 1980s :sweatdrop:). It just got annoying hearing her go on about her lousy job when there was all of time and space to explore. I'm thinking "lady, compared to what you'd be dealing with in regards to drunk entitled morons on a transcontinental flight, whatever the Master, the Cybermen, the Mara and the Daleks do to you is small potatoes."

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Hey the round things are back!

So from this conversation, and seeing Nyssa there, just how many companions were not from Earth? Off the top of my head Nyssa, Romana, Leela too? Or would Leela not count since she is still human?

Hmm who else. I guess doggie guy is unveiled there as a former companion. Trivially K9 too I suppose. I somehow missed the reveal of whoever or whatever Clara turned out to be, really should get caught up on the Capaldi run

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

My favorite thing about Tegan (and yes, I also had a crush on her as a kid :sweatdrop:) was that she just constantly gave the Doctor poo poo and was utterly unimpressed when he tried to pull some bullshit. The fact that she clearly did enjoy his company and their journeys made that entirely palatable, because she was a character who didn't just go along in awe of whatever he happened to be doing. Her explaining how the death and destruction he leaves in his wake made it impossible for her to look away any longer in her final story was a great moment, made even better by the fact that she did come back but too late: not discounting what she said but making it clear that she was so conflicted between her friendship with him/love of traveling and not being able to condone the horrors that seemed to come part and parcel with it.

I absolutely loved that moment in one of the Big Finish audios where the 5th Doctor has been reunited with Tegan, and a friend of hers tells him that he suspects maybe she was in love with him all those years ago and never really got over him. The Doctor doesn't think that likely, but the idea gets stuck in his head and finally he awkwardly brings it up to Tegan and.... she just starts laughing in his face at the absurdity of the idea :hellyeah::hf::laugh:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Here's my idea for how a new Doctor should be introduced and get their runs iconic outfit. The TARDIS wheezes in somewhere, and it turns out it appeared right on top of someone. The Doctor sees this, but notices something that makes them kind of think it's alright that happened, or seemingly so, either way we don't know. Anyway, The Doctor strips the body of it's outfit and tires it on and that becomes their iconic outfit the companions who just step out approve of. One of them notices the legs curling up under the tardis and kind of disappearing but then there's a distraction and the rest of the episode happens. In the finale, turns out the Doctor crushes the badguy, or maybe themselves in some paradox loopy deal, looks I'm just writing for Who, I don't need to sort out the details its just the seasons overarching plot and origin of the doc's iconic shoes and stockings.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bilirubin posted:

So from this conversation, and seeing Nyssa there, just how many companions were not from Earth?

Let's see. If we go with televised only then:

Susan (obviously!)
K9 (but human made?)
Romana (Gallifreyan)
Adric (E-Space Swamp Boy)
Nyssa (Trakenite)
Turlough (Trion)
Kamelion (robot from Xeriphas)
Astrid (Sto)
Nardole (alien, also a cyborg)

But there are weird edge cases too. Leela is technically human but was raised on an alien planet by a race bred from the survivors of a Human Survey Team crash. Brett Vyon and Sara Kingdom were future humans who I think came from Mars? Steven is from like the 30th Century and appears human but I don't know if it is ever confirmed that he actually is? Same deal with Vicki and Zoe as well I think, they both look human but I don't know if it is ever explicitly confirmed that they're humans or that their species just looks like humans.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Let's see. If we go with televised only then:

Susan (obviously!)
K9 (but human made?)
Romana (Gallifreyan)
Adric (E-Space Swamp Boy)
Nyssa (Trakenite)
Turlough (Trion)
Kamelion (robot from Xeriphas)
Astrid (Sto)
Nardole (alien, also a cyborg)

But there are weird edge cases too. Leela is technically human but was raised on an alien planet by a race bred from the survivors of a Human Survey Team crash. Brett Vyon and Sara Kingdom were future humans who I think came from Mars? Steven is from like the 30th Century and appears human but I don't know if it is ever confirmed that he actually is? Same deal with Vicki and Zoe as well I think, they both look human but I don't know if it is ever explicitly confirmed that they're humans or that their species just looks like humans.

I vaguely recall that Zoe's human, but I don't remember if she was born on Earth, or born on a different planet, or born and raised in the space station she works on. I do seem to remember her space station had people from some different Earth countries (various parts of England of course, and I want to say maybe Scotland, Ireland, and Russia as well), so she's likely human herself.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Is Susan definitively the doctor's granddaughter then? I had always taken that to be an adoptive relationship, but I can't recall ever seeing but one Hartnell episode so I'm a dumbass (more so than usual that is).

I had forgotten about the Turlough reveal! He did nothing wrong.

Adric is dead and no more needs to be said of him :)

I really should go back and correct my watching deficiencies. I've missed large parts of McCoy, Baker2, and Capaldi's runs. Can't recall who annoyed me the more of Peri and Ace but the Ace-Doctor dynamic was really good from what I remember. I'm even short a shocking amount of Smith's go at it as much as I liked him.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
are timelords and the doctor even the same species anymore? the doctor doesn't even know it's own species, maybe doesn't even know how or if they can reproduce, and if they have, really may well not remember any of it at this point.

timeless child opens up opportunity for every being in the universe to be an entity called Doctor Who experiencing itself.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Part of the reason timeless child felt so insulting, is it clearly angles at "the doctor is Jesus" maybe without meaning to. It slots a little too easily into that mould.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Jerusalem posted:

River's another one where it's complicated. She wasn't born on Earth or raised there initially and while her parents were human she wasn't (ish).

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

ikanreed posted:

Part of the reason timeless child felt so insulting, is it clearly angles at "the doctor is Jesus" maybe without meaning to. It slots a little too easily into that mould.

Especially after they worked so hard to show how un-christ-like the doctor is and can be. There's no Warchrist.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

River's another one where it's complicated. She wasn't born on Earth or raised there initially and while her parents were human she wasn't (ish).

Jack Harkness also.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Clara is another weird edge case, given the way her splinters work, presumably not all of them are human.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bilirubin posted:

Is Susan definitively the doctor's granddaughter then?

There's been nothing to explicitly state she isn't his biological granddaughter so until there is I'll just continue to assume she is. That said, of course, family is family regardless of biology/blood so if the Doctor says Susan is his/her granddaughter and if Susan considers the Doctor her grandfather/mother then that's that and that's the end of it, regardless of whatever backstory or "canon" any writer now or in the future decides to force onto the show.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Khanstant posted:

Especially after they worked so hard to show how un-christ-like the doctor is and can be. There's no Warchrist.

Well...

Matthew 10:34-36 posted:

34 Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I have not come to bring peace, but a sword.
35 For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law.
36 And a person's enemies will be those of his own household.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

After Oxygen, I think we can safely say that if Jamie Mathieson wrote another episode it would have had the Doctor grab a laser-whip and chase payday loans lenders out of the Church of the Papal Mainframe. :hmmyes: