Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE
Maybe the famous "left wing" journalist with a career spanning decades should use some of his journalism skills and resources to determine if the lovely newspaper he works for has anything to do with the fact that he can't come up with a better candidate for leftist unity then Lisa loving Nandy

I'm joking of course!!! It's obviously mean tweets that are the real problem best to write about that no-one else is covering it after all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

TACD posted:

we regret to inform you the funny images app is turning your images into NFTs

https://twitter.com/LemmaEOF/status/1466950098030530562?s=20

NFTs are a scam but meh, I can't see how they're going to make money off these ones, it's a throwaway image from a one hit wonder app.

An acquaintance (who is also a bitcoin evangelical) went to an NFT conference recently. Even the attendees weren't that enthusiastic about partng with their money which means it can't even step over the low bar set by MLMs of getting them to believe their own hype.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Monbiot is right in that people should give him some slack for saying a bad thing once which he’s acknowledged was bad and has been decent and generally on-side otherwise. However, he doesn’t really appreciate that “people” in this case are just a handful of particularly aggro left twitter members, and more generally that being on the internet means that someone’s always going to dig out your dirty laundry. I think it’s really a generational thing, if he’d grown up online and on forums like most of us he’d easily recognise that nobody ever truly forgets, and you just have to own up to bad poo poo and chill out.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Anyway, absolutely lol:

https://twitter.com/guardianopinion/status/1467938915856257032

Labour got twice the number of votes as the Lib Dems there in the last election. It’ll happen any day Keir!

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

"Andrew Neil pedo elite train" - as envisioned by whatsherface's tweet

Please don't right-click/save as (or sue)

e:

Bonus "Andrew Neil as a gammon steak"

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Dec 7, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Here's why I'm still mad we got called the "whore of the mill owners" in 1819, and also why the milliners had a good point - A Piece (Or Hat Trick) For The Guardian

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/dec/06/which-top-uk-politicians-have-admitted-to-drug-use

7 listed 5 tories including BloJo + starmer and nandy

Lock 'em all up I say.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/MulkinsRobert/status/1468043850627399689

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I've noticed a few people in the Monbiot debate seeming to imply that purity (in terms of never having said / associated with anything problematic) is a unique problem with 'the left,' when honestly it seems like a problem with a minority of hardliners that you would get in any collection of human beings. And then go on to pretend the majority of people on the left are like that.

Just look at the Riley / Obermann spiral of insanity over trying to get people fired for liking a tweet that mentioned Corbyn positively. Or fubpees pulling up any criticism of the EU as proof of racist arch-brexiteering. Or hell, getting shitcanned by BTS stans for once saying you didn't like their music. Every group has these hardliners for whom a 'this you' hit means never having to listen to that person again.

As as side note it's one of the reasons I find twitter dunks so impenetrable, because half the time they revolve around knowing not only who the person is, but also the context of what they said, and the context of the person doing the dunk.

My least favourite example is Tomska, asdfmovie animator. Some of his old videos have issues. Some are outright offensive to vulnerable people. But if you keep up with him now, he's just an older youtube guy trying to make wholesome content who gets kicked in the dick every few months when someone rediscovers content he's clearly sorry for.

Counter example I think I've mentioned before: Jim Davidson. Whereas Tomska is openly apologetic over his older content and trying to do better, Davidson is clearly not happy he's had to stop being racist. There's a video on youtube of him at a signing saying he can't keep apologising for stuff he said 30 years ago, but if he genuinely regretted it and realised why it was wrong, why would you not apologise every time it came up? Why rail against the cancel culture that won't let you say the gamer word on stage any more?

There is a huge difference between someone who said something poo poo and is trying to be better, and someone who was poo poo and is still poo poo. The issue with pulling up old tweets like that is whether it's to warn people they're hypocritical / still poo poo, or if you're doing it to say "You shouldn't listen to this person, ever if they're right, because they once did a bad." And a worrying amount of people don't seem to recognise the difference between the two.

If you have someone like Monbiot who says the Nandy recommendation was because he was put on the spot about a subject he (at the time) didn't really understand, and is apologising for it now, leave the guy the gently caress alone. Dunk on him for it sure, rag on him for it, but lets not pretend it's any reason to never listen to what he has to say again, especially when he's one of the few journalists taking anticapitalist sentiment even remotely seriously.

I hate to seem like I'm aligning myself with the 'ugh, they're posting screenshots of old tweets' discourse from a few days ago, (or the kind of anti-woke rants Vitamin P used to go on), but there's something massively toxic to any movement that indulges in your-fave-is-problematic levels of refusal to accept that a person can ever change their opinion.

People - even people on the left - seem to be portraying it as a uniquely leftist problem though, and it's not. Not really.

Monbiot is broadly good now, and is at least trying. Like yes he expressed a poo poo opinion. Everyone had poo poo opinions back then, and he admits that it was uninformed.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Dec 7, 2021

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Gorn Myson posted:

If we're going to go in two footed on Monbiot, can we do the same with everyone in this thread that voted Lib Dem in 2010 or voted for Starmer in last years leadership election?

Just screenshot their post saying that they and reply to everyone of their posts with that.

You have the power to do that if you want to. Hope it makes you feel better, buddy.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Comrade Fakename posted:

Monbiot is right in that people should give him some slack for saying a bad thing once which he’s acknowledged was bad and has been decent and generally on-side otherwise. However, he doesn’t really appreciate that “people” in this case are just a handful of particularly aggro left twitter members, and more generally that being on the internet means that someone’s always going to dig out your dirty laundry. I think it’s really a generational thing, if he’d grown up online and on forums like most of us he’d easily recognise that nobody ever truly forgets, and you just have to own up to bad poo poo and chill out.

Yer, there’s a lot of handwringing in the replies to him from blue tick commentators essentially saying ‘a collective political memory is mean and off putting’. If Iain Dale or JOB or the ‘Corbyn’s ordering Zyklon’ lot start to publicly acknowledge the Tories are scum and hurting people like them then it’s not OK to point out their complicity in the harm. gently caress em.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
How long after you say something dumb can you be excused from responsibility for it?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As ever the only thing journalists really give a poo poo about is people not licking their balls all the time on twitter.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

NotJustANumber99 posted:

How long after you say something dumb can you be excused from responsibility for it?

Never. So if all someone wants is admiration, they might as well run the "I was a lefty until" circuit in fash circles. It won't silence criticism from the left, but it allows a psychological shield from that criticism if your community lies elsewhere.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Don't worry, you're way too consistent to have to worry about that

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Fall of Kabul information in the Indy today https://mobile.twitter.com/mattholehouse/status/1467987496772542470

It's incredibly awful.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
How many of pen farthings loving dogs have been put down since coming to the UK?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i like george monbiot but considering the guy is a paid commentator on british politics, albeit from an environmental perspective, he should be held to a higher standard than the average person

it’s also very funny that he chose nandy, that’s like negative understanding of british politics

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

keep punching joe posted:

How many of pen farthings loving dogs have been put down since coming to the UK?

Farthing is hugely critical of the uk government on this so i dunno why you're hoping his dogs died and buying into one of the government's lines of deflection.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Also if you voted Lib Dem in 2010 (while being a reader of this thread) , you were a mark who refused to heed the clear warnings. I remember the orange book being repeatedly linked here and it was clearly a crock of neolib poo poo. Brown was still the best option at the time and deserved your solidarity for calling that old woman a racist.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

peanut- posted:

Doesn’t she live in the US? I thought the US tells the UK to gently caress right off with any and all libel judgements.

And with all other judgements. But Americans routinely use UK courts for libel tourism because we take a stricter line on what constitutes harm. I think they might be alright with throwing a sex worker under the bus to keep that untampered with.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I feel like the problem people have with George Monbiot is in fact nothing to do with George Monbiot at all but in the fact that being a political commentator in this country does not select for knowing anything about politics (I have no opinion on George Monbiot)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Also if you voted Lib Dem in 2010 (while being a reader of this thread) , you were a mark who refused to heed the clear warnings. I remember the orange book being repeatedly linked here and it was clearly a crock of neolib poo poo. Brown was still the best option at the time and deserved your solidarity for calling that old woman a racist.

Eh, Brown ran away from it almost instantly, I'd not give him owt credit.

If we're honest there really was no good option in 2010. Brown was poo poo. The Lib Dems were poo poo but I get wanting to vote against Brown to try give Labour a bloody nose. I voted SNP because I was in a safe Labour constituency (lol, remember when we had those in Scotland!), Glasgow Central. Muhammad Sarwar passing his seat on to his son Anas felt a bit off for a labour party. Not everyone had the pleasure of being Scottish so I get it. Clegg sucked poo poo but wanting to give New Labour a kick in the teeth to stop taking their core voters for granted was, I think, a very human desire.

Like, it's easy to gloss over Gordon Brown but he really was poo poo and his major disagreements with Blair weren't over policy but who gets to lead

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah Brown apologized for calling the racist a racist, the media all gathered round and said that we need to hear the racist's important views, and it turned out they were racist and then Alan Johnson shat his pants in public to appease something entirely made up by the Sun and couldn't even do that right.

Clegg claimed that there was going to be a great repeal as a clean break from that, however in exchange for a 5p tax on plastic bags we just got austerity. There were no good options, other than the slim chance of a better voting system, but lol

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I've noticed a few people in the Monbiot debate seeming to imply that purity (in terms of never having said / associated with anything problematic) is a unique problem with 'the left,' when honestly it seems like a problem with a minority of hardliners that you would get in any collection of human beings. And then go on to pretend the majority of people on the left are like that.

Just look at the Riley / Obermann spiral of insanity over trying to get people fired for liking a tweet that mentioned Corbyn positively. Or fubpees pulling up any criticism of the EU as proof of racist arch-brexiteering. Or hell, getting shitcanned by BTS stans for once saying you didn't like their music. Every group has these hardliners for whom a 'this you' hit means never having to listen to that person again.

As as side note it's one of the reasons I find twitter dunks so impenetrable, because half the time they revolve around knowing not only who the person is, but also the context of what they said, and the context of the person doing the dunk.

My least favourite example is Tomska, asdfmovie animator. Some of his old videos have issues. Some are outright offensive to vulnerable people. But if you keep up with him now, he's just an older youtube guy trying to make wholesome content who gets kicked in the dick every few months when someone rediscovers content he's clearly sorry for.

Counter example I think I've mentioned before: Jim Davidson. Whereas Tomska is openly apologetic over his older content and trying to do better, Davidson is clearly not happy he's had to stop being racist. There's a video on youtube of him at a signing saying he can't keep apologising for stuff he said 30 years ago, but if he genuinely regretted it and realised why it was wrong, why would you not apologise every time it came up? Why rail against the cancel culture that won't let you say the gamer word on stage any more?

There is a huge difference between someone who said something poo poo and is trying to be better, and someone who was poo poo and is still poo poo. The issue with pulling up old tweets like that is whether it's to warn people they're hypocritical / still poo poo, or if you're doing it to say "You shouldn't listen to this person, ever if they're right, because they once did a bad." And a worrying amount of people don't seem to recognise the difference between the two.

If you have someone like Monbiot who says the Nandy recommendation was because he was put on the spot about a subject he (at the time) didn't really understand, and is apologising for it now, leave the guy the gently caress alone. Dunk on him for it sure, rag on him for it, but lets not pretend it's any reason to never listen to what he has to say again, especially when he's one of the few journalists taking anticapitalist sentiment even remotely seriously.

I hate to seem like I'm aligning myself with the 'ugh, they're posting screenshots of old tweets' discourse from a few days ago, (or the kind of anti-woke rants Vitamin P used to go on), but there's something massively toxic to any movement that indulges in your-fave-is-problematic levels of refusal to accept that a person can ever change their opinion.

People - even people on the left - seem to be portraying it as a uniquely leftist problem though, and it's not. Not really.

Monbiot is broadly good now, and is at least trying. Like yes he expressed a poo poo opinion. Everyone had poo poo opinions back then, and he admits that it was uninformed.

Yeah I do v strongly agree with this to be honest. It slightly blows my mind that a professional political commentator could be leftist and go for Nandy but as you say it’s one thing and people gently caress up. Purity just leads to an ever smaller group of lefties sitting round wanking about how dead on they are while affecting nothing. In the end, ten slightly flawed mainstream voices with a platform are probably better than ten thousand ideologically perfect people who’ll probably never get their voice heard by more than 20 people at once.

E: Pen Farthing is an annoying name and I imagine he’s quite an annoying person, but I hope his dogs are okay and have better names

Jakabite fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Dec 7, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Seems like every other week there's a storm.
Did we always have this amount of storms or is it only since we started giving them names?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Seems like every other week there's a storm.
Did we always have this amount of storms or is it only since we started giving them names?

There's a windstorm roughly every two weeks over the North Atlantic and they normally at least brush the British Isles - they've been getting stronger (thanks to warmer sea temps) but not particularly more frequent. I think it's just naming them (and the fact that the Met Office are able to predict them and warn of them) makes them *seem* more frequent.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Jakabite posted:

E: Pen Farthing is an annoying name and I imagine he’s quite an annoying person, but I hope his dogs are okay and have better names

His name isn't Pen if it helps.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Lungboy posted:

His name isn't Pen if it helps.

It doesn’t

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Penis Farting

E: that's my post for today please join me tomorrow for my next comedy nugget

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Penis Farting

E: that's my post for today please join me tomorrow for my next comedy nugget

They've relaxed the rules on homegrown?

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah Brown apologized for calling the racist a racist, the media all gathered round and said that we need to hear the racist's important views, and it turned out they were racist
The whole internet loves Bigot Lady, the lady who gets called a bigot for saying bigoted things *five seconds later* well now I feel stupid

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Watching Andrew Neil melt down on twitter is nice. I'm getting a sense of 'protesting too much', but the schadenfreude is watching him alienate his far-right covid denying supporter base :)

He's also going after a lot of people

https://twitter.com/afneil/status/1468160615114018818

https://twitter.com/hepcatsector/status/1468169924229033984

lol

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Dec 7, 2021

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Chaser

https://twitter.com/hepcatsector/status/1468178783207243780?t=tg3EF6A00BsDuO18hBj7ZQ&s=19

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Borrovan posted:

The whole internet loves Bigot Lady, the lady who gets called a bigot for saying bigoted things *five seconds later* well now I feel stupid

Just had a flashback to when the papers crucified Emily Thornbury for implying that some white van flagshagger was a racist, and then gave him an interview to explain in detail his racist views and why he wouldn't vote for Labour.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Wow!

https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article/b/palestinian-action-activists-found-not-guilty-of-criminal-damage

quote:

Palestinian Action activists found not guilty of criminal damage

Judge Marcus Waites said in his judgement at Newcastle-under-Lyme Magistrates Court that the defendants believed Palestine was an important issue and that they believed in what they were doing.

He also said that the location was deliberately chosen, that the duration of the protest and the disruption caused were limited and that there was no danger to public order.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Just had a flashback to when the papers crucified Emily Thornbury for implying that some white van flagshagger was a racist, and then gave him an interview to explain in detail his racist views and why he wouldn't vote for Labour.

She didn’t even do that, she tweeted without comment a picture of a house covered in England flags amongst dozens of others she took while out canvassing and the Sun declared that she was sneering at the house occupant, who turned out to be the aforementioned racist white van man.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

She also just posted a picture of a house with some England flags, on her account where she posts pictures of things from around England, like English village shops and Churches of England.

The sneering elitism was entirely in the minds of the audience, who made up the idea that she must think that anyone with a few England flags is some knuckle-dragging EDL fanatic.

and then...

gave him an interview to explain in detail his racist views and why he wouldn't vote for Labour.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Your politicians are weak. Why haven’t they bodyslammed those writing lies? You don’t need lawyers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I see Rod Liddle is trending for being a giant pissy babby because some students walked out instead of sitting and listening to the man who once said he shouldn't be allowed to be a teacher because he would molest the children, and has decided to bring that level of tact and decorum to the student sex work support debate.

https://twitter.com/joshuaseigal/status/1468166989684396036