Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I have become so powerful in FF5, i got confused by a shield dragon and Butz killed everyone and then himself. All my characters were physical damage and hitting him with any of my other characters’ attacks would have also killed him.

He am become exdeath, destroyer of worlds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Has anyone played the HD texture upscale of Chrono Cross? How complete is it and how annoying is it to set up?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

FF5 makes some weird decisions. Like I just got to Walse and am in a castle which should be safe to walk around, but nope there's an enemy in the basement randomly that can easily kill your whole party without warning

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

John Wick of Dogs posted:

FF5 makes some weird decisions. Like I just got to Walse and am in a castle which should be safe to walk around, but nope there's an enemy in the basement randomly that can easily kill your whole party without warning

there's plenty of warning if you talk to people

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

On the GBA version quicksaves would reset the step counter before a fight, so you could just walk a few steps, save/load, then walk a few more to get an early Elven Mantle with zero risk.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

FF5 has more castles with encounters than without them even if you ignore the ones that are actual full fledged dungeons.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

The guards make it pretty clear you'll get destroyed if you go down there.

I think I generally take a party of thieves down there to run away so I can get the mantle and whatever time magic is in the basement.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
It's Speed. It like increases the battle speed by 1 step, and is like... I dont even know this is a spell that exists, but it sure does. You can always just change it n the config menu whenever instead.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Lotus Aura posted:

It's Speed. It like increases the battle speed by 1 step, and is like... I dont even know this is a spell that exists, but it sure does. You can always just change it n the config menu whenever instead.

I…didn’t even realize that was a thing either. Lmao at menu options as spells.

Gimme that level 5 “Return to Title Screen”.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

I guess you were up a creek.

Lotus Aura posted:

Speed sets the battle speed to 5. Battle speed, according to the wiki, is how long the game pauses when one of your characters' ATB bars fills up, with higher numbers pausing the game for longer. At battle speed 1, the game won't pause at all, at 3, the game will pause for one second, and at 6, the game will pause for six seconds.

So Speed technically means you have more time to enter commands without having to worry about enemies getting attacks in, although if you already set the battle speed to 5 in the menu, then the Speed spell does literally nothing. Also, if you have the battle speed set at 6, then casting Speed actually gives you less time to enter commands.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Haha wow, that's even dumber than I thought it was. I guess it has a super niche use if you're struggling with a fight being too fast but also you're playing on Active for some reason

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Finished Final Fantasy PR in about 10 hours. Incredible short for a FF game, but I think it's all due to the auto battle and map. Some of the areas must have been a nightmare to navigate without an auto-complete map that is now simply a button press away.

Fighter/Monk/WMage/BMage is hilarious, especially at the end of the game where you're doing 1000+ damage per Fighter/Monk, your healer is healing the entire party every turn, and your Black Mage spam casts free Thundaras with Gauntlet, all while my Fighter is taking 1 damage from 90% of the enemies :aloom:

Also, Masamune is better than Excalibur. Inconceivable!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

BisbyWorl posted:

On the GBA version quicksaves would reset the step counter before a fight, so you could just walk a few steps, save/load, then walk a few more to get an early Elven Mantle with zero risk.

If you don't care about the brave blade it's not too bad to run through there with 4 thieves and !Flee.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
This thread is acting like you all don’t have Jackanapes wandering your basements. Who protects your ancestral treasures if you don’t have Jackanapes?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I just have old poo poo in my basement so all I get is a Y Burn.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yeah I guess depending on how you want to define it that technically counts, you can't have Harle permanently in your party until a NG+. And of course there's no way to get Lynx permanently.

e: Now that I remember, it's actually your second NG+ before you can get Harle to permanently join. Since you have to beat the Time Devourer while she's still in your party (which you can only do in a second playthrough) and then use the Chrono Cross at Sprigg's house to get her in your third playthrough.

I did all of that (probably took more playthroughs than that because I wanted to see all of the endings and YouTube didn’t exist back then), and finally got her in the party to the end.

I took her with me to the lore dump scenes expecting good or new dialogue with her.

I was a kid but my disappointment was so vast that I never played the game again after doing that

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

thetoughestbean posted:

This thread is acting like you all don’t have Jackanapes wandering your basements. Who protects your ancestral treasures if you don’t have Jackanapes?

Last Celebration posted:

I just have old poo poo in my basement so all I get is a Y Burn.

The real trick is to have treasure that guards itself. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go needleproof my animated statue collection.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Can't believe there's a bunch of loving sickos throwing softs at statues and turning them into writhing, dying, blobs of flesh.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

thetoughestbean posted:

Considering what the crawlspace under my house looked like the last time I had to check something, Shelob or Ungoliant.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I'm watching one of my friends play through FF7 for the first time and they know none of the spoilers, none, not even THAT one(unless they're lying to me). It's gonna be a hoot going through this game!

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I did that with a gf years ago. She knew nothing of the story and was really loving it. At Bone Village, my roommate at the time strolls in and casually asks “oh is Aerith dead yet?”

lmao

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Cattail Prophet posted:

The real trick is to have treasure that guards itself. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go needleproof my animated statue collection.

L5 Death comes for us all

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Speaking of, never forget to be on the lookout for potential new vulnerabilities as you age. For example when you turn 30 you’re vulnerable to Lv 5 Death, Lv 3 Flare, and Lv 2 Old. Aging up or down by one protects you from all 3.

When you turn 60 you’re even more hosed— you’re vulnerable to all 3 of those, and also Lv 4 Graviga.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Yeah, that’s why I bought a Kindle a few years back. At 30, it was just too risky to go into a library and borrow books.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Just Dark Spark yourself a couple times, 30 is the new 7

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Epi Lepi posted:

I'm watching one of my friends play through FF7 for the first time and they know none of the spoilers, none, not even THAT one(unless they're lying to me). It's gonna be a hoot going through this game!

When I played through 7 recently it occurred to me that the Tiny Bronco introduction is probably a real cocktease the first time through. "Oh, sweet, I'm getting an airship!" ... ... lol nope, enjoy your lovely boat.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I know they also had all the mechs and helicopters and stuff in the original, but I dunno, there's something about going through FF7 Remake's version of the world that makes me think the plot point "Shinra needs to go after this one flying machine in the world" might need a revision

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Shinra already had the Highwind, so I guess them going after the Tiny Bronco is also a bit of ???.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
they wanted it because it looks rad

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Look, nobody ever said Palmer was competent.

Complete_Cynic
Jan 18, 2013

Not sure if this is head-canon or stated somewhere but I thought it was a range thing and their choppers couldn't go that far from a fuel source - with the Highwind getting worked on and the Gelnika doing ???? the Bronco was the only other long-range aircraft.

Not saying it holds up that well but it worked well enough for my dumb rear end back when I first played.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

bentacos posted:

Look, nobody ever said Palmer was competent.

Thanks to Palmer, I've always been very suspicious of anyone that puts lard in tea.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

jokes posted:

L5 Death comes for us all

I turn 35 next year. I'll stay away from the library.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Complete_Cynic posted:

Not sure if this is head-canon or stated somewhere but I thought it was a range thing and their choppers couldn't go that far from a fuel source - with the Highwind getting worked on and the Gelnika doing ???? the Bronco was the only other long-range aircraft.

Not saying it holds up that well but it worked well enough for my dumb rear end back when I first played.

You know, for as much as their whole society runs off it to the point where the power company is a scifi megacorp, Mako seems like a kinda lovely inefficient power source where it takes 8 giant-as-gently caress reactor complexes to run a single city the size of Toronto. Who knew souls had such poor energy density? It's a wonder all the giant robots and stuff can run for more than five minutes at a time.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Heavy industry 200 MW
Slums 150 MW
Shinra HQ 800 MW
Hojo's Lab 3,600 MW
Suburbs 150 MW
someone who is good at power please help me budget this. my city is dying

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

zedprime posted:

Heavy industry 200 MW
Slums 150 MW
Shinra HQ 800 MW
Hojo's Lab 3,600 MW
Suburbs 150 MW

Shut down Hojo's lab.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

zedprime posted:

Heavy industry 200 MW
Slums 150 MW
Shinra HQ 800 MW
Hojo's Lab 3,600 MW
Suburbs 150 MW

Drop the plate on sector 8

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

zedprime posted:

Heavy industry 200 MW
Slums 150 MW
Shinra HQ 800 MW
Hojo's Lab 3,600 MW
Suburbs 150 MW

It's not like the slums NEED all those neon signs and giant tvs and poo poo

Asterite34 fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Dec 8, 2021

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
VII's world kinda breaks down if you even scrutinize it a little, yeah. Like how Icicle Inn is a popular holiday destination in the middle of absolutely nowhere with no easy access.

I think from VIII onwards they put a bit more effort into worldbuilding that holds up a little better, though IX still has some weird bits and I could not tell you how XIII's locales are connected or function.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

VII's world kinda breaks down if you even scrutinize it a little, yeah. Like how Icicle Inn is a popular holiday destination in the middle of absolutely nowhere with no easy access.

I think from VIII onwards they put a bit more effort into worldbuilding that holds up a little better, though IX still has some weird bits and I could not tell you how XIII's locales are connected or function.

IX's makes no sense and is probably the worst world building, and that includes games like FF3 where its purposefully weird and nonsense.

XIII is just poorly explained but consistent; cocoon is a small moon whose interior surface area is about the size of the US that orbits pulse which is a regular sized planet. Cocoon has numerous cities and inhabited areas interconnected with wonderful trains, planes, and other methods of speedy conveyance your party can't use much of since they're criminals while Pulse is what happens when you lose a war and your leadership decides to make bread from your bones