Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

KomradeX posted:

What game is that?

Sonic 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

He created the conditions on set that would allow him to get away with murder.

After 4 years of being in the public spotlight as the most visible Trump impersonator, he began to desperately search for the next High - and found MURDER.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also explains a lot how so many male feminists turn out to be rapists

Anime Bernie Bro posted:

as a proud male feminist, i'd love to hear your elaboration on this
Calm down anime, he's probably talking about how outspoken and prominent men in the entertainment industry who call attention to themselves as feminists or allies have turned out to be pests or predators, if anything it probably has to do with them trying to pre-emptively deflect any criticism for their behavior that they know is coming eventually.

KomradeX posted:

What game is that?
Pillars of Eternity?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

After 4 years of being in the public spotlight as the most visible Trump impersonator, he began to desperately search for the next High - and found MURDER.
He repeated the phrase "I could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn't lose voters" too many times, and found out he had a predisposition to murder.

Serf
May 5, 2011

KomradeX posted:

What game is that?

if i had to guess, it's "beast: the primordial" which was written by a rapist pedophile and is all about being a creature fueled by being abusive or obsessive that is totally right all the time and is confronted by "heroes" that are actually evil

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Just to add to that, the Beasts are "good guys" because they abuse people to teach them valuable lessons (I don't remember what they were supposed to teach and gently caress looking back at the Fatal & Friends entry to remind myself) and the evil Heroes are literally 4chan and incel types. It's loving insane. If you really want to know more the review is at https://writeups.letsyouandhimfight.com/ but don't do that to yourself, read something fun like Night10194's Warhammer retrospectives if you visit.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tqzzy45-_g

Smith is the Mindhunter guy now lol

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/EthanYWu/status/1467881809123979268

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

when did the Marvel Netflix shows become separate from the "MCU?" I watched the first Daredevil season and then the first Jessica Jones and at the time it seemed everyone assumed those were part of it.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Atrocious Joe posted:

when did the Marvel Netflix shows become separate from the "MCU?" I watched the first Daredevil season and then the first Jessica Jones and at the time it seemed everyone assumed those were part of it.

marvel didn't want to dirty their film properties with the lower budget, lovely shows so they acknowledge they were on the same universe but didn't let them interact.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Judakel posted:

marvel didn't want to dirty their film properties with the lower budget, lovely shows so they acknowledge they were on the same universe but didn't let them interact.

But weren’t those shows, or at least some of them, pretty good? At least compared to the current slate they’re putting out.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Frosted Flake posted:

But weren’t those shows, or at least some of them, pretty good? At least compared to the current slate they’re putting out.

some were, but kevin feige didn't care.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
The Netflix shows were much lower budget and couldn't be allowed to sully the MCU name even if they were better than the tie in crap that features the same b list actors as the movies

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

the trailer for the first season of the punisher was dope, never heard old metallica in a trailer before and they made it fit very well

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

MLSM posted:

I'm pretty salty specifically about what the original trilogy considered a happy ending... but even if this movie could potentially have it's head in a better place, that trailer is loving gross.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Could you imagine if there was a sequel to The Matrix that dumped part of the cast and replaced them with a less-interesting imitation? It must suck to live in that universe twice over!

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Atrocious Joe posted:

In 2015 Kevin Feige and Ike Perlmutter fought for control of the MCU post-Disney buyout. Feige promised that even non-Avengers MCU movies could make giant gobs of money and should have giant budgets accordingly, notoriously penny-pinching Perlmutter argued the opposite, Captain America 3: Civil War (which was basically a third Avengers movie) made a ton of money, Feige won the argument, and Perlmutter was exiled to be in charge of Netflix and TV only.

Since the inception of MCU TV in 2013 there was a detente of sorts, the TV and Netflix shows would be told what to avoid and when they could reference the events and characters of the MCU and even include cast members if they could afford them (hence Clark Gregg and Hayley Atwell and special guest star Samuel L Jackson for an episode or two), and the movies would not outright contradict them, but the movies gave the shows no special consideration and would not share any plotlines or plans in advance - the series were clearly second fiddle to the movies by design.

Stewing in jealousy, in 2018 Ike Perlmutter sicced a bunch of his alt-right trumpist footsoldiers on Guardians of the Galaxy director James Gunn and got him fired as part of a power play for greater control of the MCU and winning back a seat at the table, despite his inability to manage the TV series with any sort of care.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGTfbMioezc&t=22s

In 2019 Feige won that battle because, let's face it, all Disney execs and creative committees care about is making money and the movies were making it hand over fist and the series weren't, and Perlmutter's little stunt was a transparently bad faith effort, and as a result Perlmutter was forced out of TV and Feige gained control over that as well. This is why all the real no-poo poo in-continuity MCU TV shows with the same movie stars started popping up in 2021 on Disney's in-house streaming service. Consequently, all the MCU TV and Netflix shows are now officially non-canon, but due to no longer being part of a competing corporate fiefdom, any of the actors they want to keep will be pulled into the MCU movies and TV without any problem.

https://variety.com/2019/biz/news/kevin-feige-ike-perlmutter-marvel-disney-1203377802/

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

The United States posted:

In 2015 Kevin Feige and Ike Perlmutter fought for control of the MCU post-Disney buyout. Feige promised that even non-Avengers MCU movies could make giant gobs of money and should have giant budgets accordingly, notoriously penny-pinching Perlmutter argued the opposite, Captain America 3: Civil War (which was basically a third Avengers movie) made a ton of money, Feige won the argument, and Perlmutter was exiled to be in charge of Netflix and TV only.

Since the inception of MCU TV in 2013 there was a detente of sorts, the TV and Netflix shows would be told what to avoid and when they could reference the events and characters of the MCU and even include cast members if they could afford them (hence Clark Gregg and Hayley Atwell and special guest star Samuel L Jackson for an episode or two), and the movies would not outright contradict them, but the movies gave the shows no special consideration and would not share any plotlines or plans in advance - the series were clearly second fiddle to the movies by design.

Stewing in jealousy, in 2018 Ike Perlmutter sicced a bunch of his alt-right trumpist footsoldiers on Guardians of the Galaxy director James Gunn and got him fired as part of a power play for greater control of the MCU and winning back a seat at the table, despite his inability to manage the TV series with any sort of care.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGTfbMioezc&t=22s

In 2019 Feige won that battle because, let's face it, all Disney execs and creative committees care about is making money and the movies were making it hand over fist and the series weren't, and Perlmutter's little stunt was a transparently bad faith effort, and as a result Perlmutter was forced out of TV and Feige gained control over that as well. This is why all the real no-poo poo in-continuity MCU TV shows with the same movie stars started popping up in 2021 on Disney's in-house streaming service. Consequently, all the MCU TV and Netflix shows are now officially non-canon, but due to no longer being part of a competing corporate fiefdom, any of the actors they want to keep will be pulled into the MCU movies and TV without any problem.

https://variety.com/2019/biz/news/kevin-feige-ike-perlmutter-marvel-disney-1203377802/

what a twisted tale. hosed up what they did to gunn

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

If I remember right Perlmutter was also against having a female lead in any Marvel movie which is why the Black Widow movie wasn't even made until a decade into the MCU despite Scarlett Johansson being there from the beginning.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Tiberius Christ posted:

If I remember right Perlmutter was also against having a female lead in any Marvel movie which is why the Black Widow movie wasn't even made until a decade into the MCU despite Scarlett Johansson being there from the beginning.

And after the character had been permanently killed off, no less.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

the MCU is a marketing conceit with no actual power or meaning

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

also raising an eyebrow at disney/marvel compressing all their racism and sexism into one bad billionaire apple

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

josh04 posted:

also raising an eyebrow at disney/marvel compressing all their racism and sexism into one bad billionaire apple
From personal experience, consoomers who blindly argue that their favorite media can't be racist are just as annoying as consoomers who think their favorite media is driving social progress.

I remember the absurd lengths people defended Iron Fist, which still managed to frustrate me at the time.

This was 2017; the same year as Ghost in the Shell, probably the last time had any energy to actually want to argue that movies and TV shows should be less racist before I felt alienated from liberal woke pop culture.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

why would anyone defend Iron Fist. It was a martial arts show with bad fights.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Atrocious Joe posted:

why would anyone defend Iron Fist. It was a martial arts show with bad fights.
It has Marvel in the title, and Marvel can do no wrong.

(And I think the first 3 Marvel Netflix shows were well received at the time before vanishing to the oblivion of pop culture irrelevance because it's now more convenient for Disney to just ignore them?)

Edit: And the argument was "They have to make an Iron Fist show and exactly the way they did! How else are they gonna do Defenders?"

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

MLSM posted:

"I still know kung-fu."

That'll get the theater hooting and hollering.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Why were people so angry about Iron Fist again? Because he was white?

I read a good run of Iron Fist comics when I was more into comics so I didn't feel angry about the idea, but that show seemed to get a lot of people steamed.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I can't speak for any Asian American blue checkmark who used The Conversation for their clout game, but "the conversation" around Luke Cage and Jessica Jones played up their social relevance, and then Iron Fist was just a cocky white guy coopting an Asian culture with much of the orientalist baggage.

It didn't help that all the statements from the studio, the actor, and the actual creator of the Iron First character doubled down on the whole "I don't see what the problem is" and using some anti-SJW talking points.

And the show finally came out, ended up being bad, but people still initially tried defending it anyway.

It seems more silly now. But like I said, Ghost in the Shell was also happening at the same time. Crazy Rich Asians didn't come out yet. Shang Chi was in the distant future. The Asian Bluechecks were still doing the "I like Bernie" act before endorsing Warren or whatever in 2020.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
^^^ also this

Eric Cantonese posted:

I read a good run of Iron Fist comics when I was more into comics so I didn't feel angry about the idea, but that show seemed to get a lot of people steamed.

Not just that he was white, but they hired some scrawny euro who had no martial arts experience leading to some pretty lovely fight scenes.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

The should have cast Scott Adkins

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Eric Cantonese posted:

because they could have cast this guy as danny rand instead, this clip came out the year earlier (and was performed with a bad back with next to no prep time, which is why he's so stiff and upright)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye5g6BCJqU4&t=22s

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 16:48 on Dec 7, 2021

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Eric Cantonese posted:

The show was bad

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014
Just get Scott Adkins if you're going to go the white route. His acting has never been amazing, but the dude is an amazing martial artist and always fun to watch

*edit looks like everyone had the same thought lol

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

thatfuturekid posted:

Just get Scott Adkins if you're going to go the white route. His acting has never been amazing, but the dude is an amazing martial artist and always fun to watch

*edit looks like everyone had the same thought lol

he had two movies about being a weeb who could actually do martial arts!! just cast him!!

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You guys got me curious so I looked up a clip of the Netflix show. The guy they hired to be Danny Rand reminds me of Danny Masterson from That 70s Show (I admittedly might be racist) and that's not a good thing.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf
why did they even try to turn iron fist into half a corporate drama, like, he's a superhero kung fu expert. no one, absolutely no one is tuning into watch a guy named iron fist get his company taken away from him in a board room.

she hulk is gonna be poo poo if they do something similar but a lawyer drama where she doesn't beat the poo poo out of prosecutors and judges

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'm millennial Asian American, but one of my shower thought was how awesome it must be to be a second gen Asian American GenX liberal/moderate like my older sibling.

They defined their identity largely in terms of food and pop culture consumption, and their cinematic experience went from Long Duk Dong as kid to Shang Chi in their 40s. They were already adults when 9/11 happened, and they were spared from the worst of the post-2008 recession. Their suburban homes, their little fiefdom in the American Empire, were secured. As far as they're concerned, all the problems they cared about have been solved. Trump was voted out of office, and Shang Chi made a lot of money, thus America successfully Stopped Asian Hate.

They don't have to litigate why some younger Asian Americans barely cared that Marvel was finally making a movie with a lead Asian dude after Bernie lost, and now Biden is ramping up Cold War rhetoric against China.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Echo Chamber posted:

I'm millennial Asian American, but one of my shower thought was how awesome it must be to be a second gen Asian American GenX liberal/moderate like my older sibling.

They defined their identity largely in terms of food and pop culture consumption, and their cinematic experience went from Long Duk Dong as kid to Shang Chi in their 40s. They were already adults when 9/11 happened, and they were spared from the worst of the post-2008 recession. Their suburban homes, their little fiefdom in the American Empire, were secured. As far as they're concerned, all the problems they cared about have been solved. Trump was voted out of office, and Shang Chi made a lot of money, thus America successfully Stopped Asian Hate.

They don't have to litigate why some younger Asian Americans barely cared that Marvel was finally making a movie with a lead Asian dude after Bernie lost, and now Biden is ramping up Cold War rhetoric against China.

What? I fall into the late Gen X range and I have to say I've struggled to give that much of a poo poo about Shang Chi and greater APA media representation because of real life adult economic stuff and most of my APA friends are basically in the same boat. Many of us got laid off in 2008 and had to scramble to reinvent ourselves. Like everyone else, we've gotten smacked around with high tuition costs (and the resulting student debt), high childcare costs, decreasing job security and ridiculous prices that make home ownership difficult to pull off.

Pop culture barely cares about people older than 25 now and the feeling is mutual.

Millennials and Gen Z have it very bad, but I find it weird how so many people think that "Gen X" (which is already a shaky media construct) is viewed as having latched on to some sweet ride. I admittedly don't know your older sibling, but I don't know any APAs who aren't already on the GOP train (and there are quite a lot of them) who think everything's fine and dandy in America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
oops, i did a generation reductionist thing