Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Do a global search for <20 year olds with at least one international cap and start there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Azhais posted:

Do a global search for <20 year olds with at least one international cap and start there

Search only shows players your club can see. If you don't have a scouting network then you won't find anything worthwhile.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
If you want to be cheesy, you can always get the highest scouting package, search for players, then back down to the one you regularly use.

Edit: Do this without hitting continue, I meant to add.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I came third in the Europa League group (beating Young Boys twice) and qualified for the first knockout round of the UEFA Conference League. I came up against Napoli. Lost at home 0-1 and drew away 2-2.

I'm onto my third season with Waterford. I Improved my squad in pretty much every area except for striker. Now they're playing like drains, albeit still roundabout first place, but they're not getting the 12 point lead clear ahead at a third of the way through the season. On top of that, my striker who scored 35 goals last season has hit a dry spell and all my other strikers are pissy or are actually better in other positions.

I think part of it is the tactical and team familiarity dropped from bringing in new people. The other part is we're predicted to come first, with all the improvements, so I need to change up my tactics.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I'm in a third season slump as well. Promoted first season, won title second, now mid-table with more points than we deserve ~10 games in. The only first team player I had to sell was loaned straight back so no excuses for being this poor.

Realistically though I still have the 2nd lowest wage bill in the division (1/7th what the title favourites spend, 1/2 most of the league) and while I've brought in highly star-rated players they all have crippling attribute problems (winger with 4 teamwork). My golden gloves keeper (8 reflexes) is no longer superman, and my 25 in 25 centre forward is missing sitters AND penalties.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Roughly, sort of, similar games played...

Last Season ... This Season

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
First European away day.

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

i always thought it would be funny to do a save aiming to get luch-energiya vladivostok into europe

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

yugioh mishima posted:

i always thought it would be funny to do a save aiming to get luch-energiya vladivostok into europe

God yes me too.

The Canary Islands teams have always been funny to me but they're actually not that far? I Think it's only like 3 hours by plane which isn't that bad.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
I did the Vladivostok thing once, every single match spawned a "Luch are due for a long round trip of 11,000 miles"

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Santa Clara from the Azores played with Shkupi from Macedonia, I wonder what was the largest travel distance a team had to endure for European football.

How does FM model travel costs and possible jet lag?

My idea is either "it doesn't" or it's just a fixed number per country.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
is there a team in French Guiana? that'd be a trek to get to Shakhtar or Galatasaray

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Julio Cruz posted:

is there a team in French Guiana? that'd be a trek to get to Shakhtar or Galatasaray

Those teams would probably be so low-budget that, travel time and fatigue be damned - the team couldn't even afford the flight.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007
I've tested it, and unfortunately, teams in the French Overseas Territories cannot qualify for Europe, even if they win the Coupe de France.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Mans posted:

Santa Clara from the Azores played with Shkupi from Macedonia, I wonder what was the largest travel distance a team had to endure for European football.

How does FM model travel costs and possible jet lag?

My idea is either "it doesn't" or it's just a fixed number per country.

I have a feeling travel costs are modelled on a $/mile metric but would be interested to know the reality.

I seem to remember that my attempts at a Vladivostok game usually got halted before I could even get to Europe because the domestic travel costs were killing us in a league with so little prize money and single digit ticket prices.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I'm pretty sure a French team travelling to Tahiti for a French Cup match is about as long-distance a trip as you can get in domestic football.

Reykjavik - Baku would be a heck of a journey, and has probably been done before.

Krasnoyarsk has a second-tier team as well. Travel costs wouldn't be quite as bad as Vladivostock.
Having a quick scan on Google Maps, I'm now considering moving one of the Yakutsk teams to the second tier and trying something out there. (You'd probably have to set some financial boosts in place, though).

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
What would be the longest trip for a nation vs nation match, even a friendly?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
the capitals of Taiwan and Paraguay are almost exactly on opposite sites of the planet so that's definitely up there

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

kingturnip posted:

I'm pretty sure a French team travelling to Tahiti for a French Cup match is about as long-distance a trip as you can get in domestic football.

Reykjavik - Baku would be a heck of a journey, and has probably been done before.

Krasnoyarsk has a second-tier team as well. Travel costs wouldn't be quite as bad as Vladivostock.
Having a quick scan on Google Maps, I'm now considering moving one of the Yakutsk teams to the second tier and trying something out there. (You'd probably have to set some financial boosts in place, though).

Have a Russian mafia boss buy it as a sugar daddy, job done.

On that note I grabbed the in-game editor for '21 for 5 cents and used it to kickstart my Newmarket run. And by kickstart I mean save our asses from going bust, just cleared the 300k+ debt and raised the wage budget to just below what we were paying. I did just manage to grab a 19 year old Kosovo midfielder who's 4.5 stars, even after actually joining us (new signings usually drop a star or more).

Moktaro fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 6, 2021

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

JustJeff88 posted:

England played two friendlies in New Zealand on a post-season tour in 1991. They took a strong team too including Lineker, Platt, Walker, Pearce and others who played in the World Cup the previous summer.

London to Wellington is 11,600 miles.

Edit: I've beaten that though. In 2003 Chile played a friendly against China in Tianjin - 11,843 miles from Santiago.

And in 2002 Uruguay played China in Shenyang - 11,952 miles from Montevideo.

Edit x 3: Argentina played a friendly against South Korea in Seoul in 2003 - 12,063 miles from Buenos Aires.

That concludes this pointless dive into footballing minutiae. Please resume your regularly scheduled FM chat.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Dec 6, 2021

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

JustJeff88 posted:

Asia has a lot due to the vastness of the Asian Football Confederation. Although, traditionally most of the best players were flying from Europe so if they had to play say Saudi Arabia it wasn't as bad as it seems because it's closer than flying Germany to Australia.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Sometimes the Latest Scores window doesn't update properly and will say you should be 2-1 up, but evidently you tweaked something in your tactics before the goal could actually happen and lol it's still 1-1 you absolute fraud of a manager. Vilhemsson's 55th minute goal, lost like tears in the Bulgarian rain.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

sassassin posted:

Sometimes the Latest Scores window doesn't update properly and will say you should be 2-1 up, but evidently you tweaked something in your tactics before the goal could actually happen and lol it's still 1-1 you absolute fraud of a manager. Vilhemsson's 55th minute goal, lost like tears in the Bulgarian rain.

It does this with subs some times where it basically steals the sub off you and the player you were supposed to bring on stays on the bench.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Is this new?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
And here I thought profanity was the only reason that feature existed.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
It was, now it's useless. Time to pull a fifa and re-add profanity three versions from now and declare it a revolutionary new feature

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Love to have my (ostensibly Welsh) goalkeeper disappear off to sit on the bench for Norway and miss two games several times per season without ever getting a cap.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Azhais posted:

It was, now it's useless.

Another good reason to stop buying the annual reskin

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Imagine being mad enough to type something into the void lmao

At least chucking bottles actually does something.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I used it a grand total of once in FM19 hoping there was some sort of keyword thing for player names or something, but all it ever seemed to do was add quotes to the post conference news report :rolleyes:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I qualified for the CL group stage by beating off Young Boys in the Wankdorf stadium, and have signed a 32 year old Aaron Ramsey on 3x my next highest earner's wage £6k/week. He'd already lost all his stamina and workrate but my staff still think he's a 5* player.

Release clauses are decimating my squad. Selfish Icelandic winger Valgeir Valgeirsson poached on August deadline day, and the big man up top Oscar Vilhemsson looks guaranteed to leave in January for just £1.4m. Finding it hard to sign quality without agents locking in pathetic fees for a club that just banked £13m in Europe.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
It does seem to take way too long to get your rep up. I understand not having everyone beat a path to your door desperate to sign after one league win, but also after three in a row I should not be called history's greatest monster for implying that we can avoid a relegation battle

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

eleven extra elephants posted:

It does this with subs some times where it basically steals the sub off you and the player you were supposed to bring on stays on the bench.

I think I've seen this a time or two when making a sub right after a red card.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Still got FM20 Mobile on my phone and noticed something funny/weird the other day.

Scrounging around the free transfers for a backup keeper and Salisbury (not in an active league) signed three or four keepers I'd scouted. Checked their squad and they had fifteen or more goalkeepers and only three or four outfielders, with the rest of their squad full of greys.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It's 2028 in my current FM21 save and United finally sacked Solskjaer. They replaced him with... wait for it... no, seriously, wait for it........... Mourinho

:cawg:

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's 2028 in my current FM21 save and United finally sacked Solskjaer. They replaced him with... wait for it... no, seriously, wait for it........... Mourinho

:cawg:

when my fm21 save got to 2030 klopp went to man city and pep went to liverpool

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

punissuer
Nov 6, 2009
My game saw Bielsa leave Leeds to win the Champions League and Serie A with Juventus before getting replaced by Pep a year later... So he went and took Pep's Man City job, won the prem that year and then retired.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

punissuer posted:

My game saw Bielsa leave Leeds to win the Champions League and Serie A with Juventus before getting replaced by Pep a year later... So he went and took Pep's Man City job, won the prem that year and then retired.

Spurs just sacked Bielsa in my save. They're 5th at Christmas so a bit harsh.

Been given an £11m transfer budget after my CL triumphs. Chelsea and AC Milan brutalised me in the group stage, but I scraped a draw against PSV for another bumper payday. Agents are locking in £1.6m release clauses on contracts like I'm still managing paupers. If they'd be more flexible they could get their clients 200% pay rises.

Ramsey's 33 year old bones are crumbling into dust over the winter break. What a waste of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Nothing on this managerial career on a save of FM19 I had

Messi