Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

India is a cool place to check out in Google Earth VR, because the population is so dense, there's interesting and lively things to look at on every block. They don't even try to blur peoples faces there. The algorithm is like, gently caress it, there's too many faces.

It's interesting to move through bordering countries and see the cultural and ethnic makeup go through smooth transitions. Like you can literally see the look of people, and the signage gradually morph from Indian, to east asian, and how places in the middle like Burma, are a perfect blend of India and Vietnam.

It's also a fun tool for history geeks. Like following Alexander the Great, and the Macedonians campaign from Greece to the Hindu Kush, to visually get a sense of how long of a journey that was, that you only get in VR. Getting a visual feel for how much progress 30 miles a day is, and seeing how little they would have moved on that zoomed out map, after weeks and months of marching, and knowing they zig zagged all over. Or going through the alps, thinking of Hannibal Barca leading his army and dozens of african elephants through the mountains in winter, and knowing how insane that was, because you get a good feel for how tall the mountains are and how vast the mountain range is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

Is Espire 1 worth 10bux and my time?

Kinda close but... I will say no, it doesn't reach the quality bar.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is there a google earth that can run natively on the Quest 2? I might bring this to my parent's for the holidays and that might be a neat thing to show them without making them want to vomit.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Seeing people streaming After the Fall with the stream title "WARNING: DO NOT BUY After The Fall - PlayStation VR Edition | PSVR LIVESTREAM" is pretty disappointing.

I mean I wouldn't get it on PSVR at this point anyway because :lol: but it sounds like a lot of the complaints go beyond the bad controls and performance on PSVR and are more about design choices and the game being ultimately pretty light and kind of boring. Apparently the game is kind of average all around. Bummer

edit: the PSVR version is left handed mode only basically, rofl

Cutedge fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 6, 2021

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Cutedge posted:

Seeing people streaming After the Fall

I've read a pair of reviews, and the impression they gave me is, "it's a fun FPS coop game, the shooting is good, but for 5 maps and 6 weapons (and 0 melee weapons, or things like bows, or anything unique) wait until it's $20-25".

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The developers of a bad and broken game Arizona Sunshine made another bad and broken game? Who could have seen it coming.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

explosivo posted:

Is there a google earth that can run natively on the Quest 2? I might bring this to my parent's for the holidays and that might be a neat thing to show them without making them want to vomit.

Closest I know of is called Wander. But it doesn't have the flight option that Earth has, just teleport, so you will likely not make people vomit.
It is a super nice intro to VR that my in-laws enjoyed this holiday.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Nukelear v.2 posted:

Closest I know of is called Wander. But it doesn't have the flight option that Earth has, just teleport, so you will likely not make people vomit.
It is a super nice intro to VR that my in-laws enjoyed this holiday.

Lmao

(thanks for the rec, this looks perfect)

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Jack Trades posted:

The developers of a bad and broken game Arizona Sunshine made another bad and broken game? Who could have seen it coming.

I enjoyed Az Sunshine though it is very def mechanically an old VR game (I think it came out 4 years ago)

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Diephoon posted:

Probably should've asked around Black Friday but can anyone recommend a good wireless modem/router for Quest 2 Virtual Desktop play? I'm in a position where I can afford an upgrade but would obviously prefer a good deal if there's one to be had.

If its just for virtual desktop/VR stuff.

https://nexuslinkusa.com/

15% of with code QTpop15 (if theres any issues with that, let me know ill talk to the marketing people)

I get no $ from that. Just tracking purposes and we like the company. Also stacks with sales. They dont seem to disable our codes during sales.

The 2 kit pack is what I use for my back yard VD usage. The singles fine for inside if you just wanted a thing for your headset.

https://nexuslinkusa.com/product/wb-1750-kit/

Thats the 2 packer.

Otherwise, buy whatever wifi6 thing you can find honestly. Theres so many out there now that don't suck. Hell even the router ATT give us with our fiber install is wifi6 and works really well.

raditts posted:

I got this one a couple months ago to extend into my basement where the wireless signal is normally poo poo, and it works great. Only thing with it is for some reason it freaks out when I try to put it in WAP mode so I have to keep it set as a normal router where it's got its own set of IP addresses, but my Quests are the only thing that connect to it so it doesn't matter that much. (I guess I should note that the connection between this and my main router is wired.)

as for rechargeable batteries... just get pretty much any that aren't a no-name brand? I don't think there's a whole lot of difference.

Yooo thats a pretty solid deal.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Dec 7, 2021

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Diephoon posted:

Probably should've asked around Black Friday but can anyone recommend a good wireless modem/router for Quest 2 Virtual Desktop play? I'm in a position where I can afford an upgrade but would obviously prefer a good deal if there's one to be had.

e: On that note, anyone care to recommend some rechargeable AA batteries for the controllers as well? Would be prudent to have a couple pairs to swap between while the other is charging.

I got this one a couple months ago to extend into my basement where the wireless signal is normally poo poo, and it works great. Only thing with it is for some reason it freaks out when I try to put it in WAP mode so I have to keep it set as a normal router where it's got its own set of IP addresses, but my Quests are the only thing that connect to it so it doesn't matter that much. (I guess I should note that the connection between this and my main router is wired.)

as for rechargeable batteries... just get pretty much any that aren't a no-name brand? I don't think there's a whole lot of difference.

raditts fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 6, 2021

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Clarity appears to be still a problem with the G2. In the sweet spot, sure it's fine and totally crisp. Outside of it? Not so much. Like for example, I could look at a hand of cards in Demeo and have no trouble with reading them in the Quest 2, but the G2, it's blurred just enough that I have to move my head to get each card into the sweet spot to read comfortably. The problem is that sweet spot just feels small in comparison and visuals degrade quickly outside of it.

I remember some other people saying the same when it launched. Great sweet spot clarity, but it degrades faster than others once your eye is outside of it.

I think this is why people also recommend it for sims, it isn't only about the tracking of controllers. If you are seated, still, and looking straight and front of you in a racing game, this flaw is less important.

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007
All of the sudden I’m getting massive ~half second audio delay to my quest 2 over airlink. Anyone experience anything similar or have any ideas? I was contemplating a DAS but if I have to use my wireless headphones it’s pointless.

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....
Eleven Table Tennis is legit. I feel like the skills I'm gaining will transfer over to real world table tennis.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

Zosologist posted:

All of the sudden I’m getting massive ~half second audio delay to my quest 2 over airlink. Anyone experience anything similar or have any ideas? I was contemplating a DAS but if I have to use my wireless headphones it’s pointless.

Airline’s been kinda buggy for me ever since they added that pairing code feature. My catchall solution ended up being a quick pop over to Virtual Desktop, bring up Oculus Tray Tool, restart the Oculus driver.

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007

Leathal posted:

Airline’s been kinda buggy for me ever since they added that pairing code feature. My catchall solution ended up being a quick pop over to Virtual Desktop, bring up Oculus Tray Tool, restart the Oculus driver.

Better then my solution of restarting my pc and headset every drat time. Thank you.

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

Last chance to activate a Quest 2 referral before it goes back down from $60 to $30:

Steps:

Factory reset the device by holding down the power and volume buttons and/or wipe it remotely by unlinking it at https://secure.oculus.com/my/devices/

Accept the referral from clicking on someone’s link:

https://www.oculus.com/referrals/link/Baby_Proof

Re-activate the device by pairing it to your mobile oculus app that’s signed in with your Facebook account.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

That reminds me, is walkabout close enough to real life that I'm gaining real life minigolf skills? If I get really good at walkabout can I then own my friends at RL minigolf?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Organza Quiz posted:

That reminds me, is walkabout close enough to real life that I'm gaining real life minigolf skills? If I get really good at walkabout can I then own my friends at RL minigolf?

I can confirm you won’t be able to fly when you raise your hand up. That was devastating to me.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Organza Quiz posted:

Honestly? It certainly doesn’t hurt? I was playing that a lot and then went to play real mini golf with the family and smoked everyone but that may just be because obviously I am a natural and mini golf is my calling, crazy I’m not already sponsored tbqh.

Still though, I can’t imagine it makes you any worse

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I can confirm you won’t be able to fly when you raise your hand up. That was devastating to me.
Amateur

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Well you can, you just need a really tall starting point and a jump first.

After that it's a matter of skill as to how well you do.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
You know you have a problem when you are playing virtual boy and realize, dang, Red Alarm is actually pretty sick. And that game/prototype where you play as the thing from Jumping Flash, but it becomes a ball named Chalvo? Well that's pretty sick as well

Walkabout is so frigging king though. I'm gonna have to play online some time.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I played basically the entire Virtual Boy library one afternoon and yeah, it wasn't actually that bad. If the headset was lighter and had the clarity of modern VR it might not have been quite as badly received, although it still would have failed as none of the games are advanced enough to justify the 3D.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

There are some really solid VB games.

But I've owned a couple actual VBs, on actual hardware it's not as good. The emulators are a big improvement, you didn't get the same sense of scale on an actual vb and, the weird "LED rapidly bouncing off a mirror" screen cause a lot of eye strain. Also no head tracking.

Galactic Pinball is awesome and has a Samus gunship cameo so I consider it a Metroid spinoff. Mario Tennis is fun, just fun. And VB Wario Land is legitimately one of the best Wario games.

Panic Bomber is awesome and uses the 3d really well. I don't think I'd get that into the non-vr versions of panic Bomber but with 3d it's cool and really vibey.

First Jhana
Nov 29, 2019

Bad Munki posted:

Windows just likes to disable audio outputs for weird reasons sometimes, it’s done it to me plenty, including before I added the Index (or any VR) to the system. Usually a restart fixes it, or you can go to the control panel and manually re-enable them sometimes.

You can force it without a restart by going to sound settings --> device properties --> additional device properties. For some reason the final click resets the sound devices in the OS and I'm able to choose from all my audio devices again.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Did I miss a virtual boy emulator being released for vr recently or something?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It's been around for a while, but yeah there is one, I think it's on Sidequest.

The Quest controller layout is pretty much the same as the VB as well, so it translates over really well.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I can’t believe it took until the quest to deliver on the promise of the Virtual Boy

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!

Baby Proof posted:

Last chance to activate a Quest 2 referral before it goes back down from $60 to $30:

Steps:

Factory reset the device by holding down the power and volume buttons and/or wipe it remotely by unlinking it at https://secure.oculus.com/my/devices/

Accept the referral from clicking on someone’s link:

https://www.oculus.com/referrals/link/Baby_Proof

Re-activate the device by pairing it to your mobile oculus app that’s signed in with your Facebook account.

I was going to use your referral, but it gives me a version of a 404? Is it working for you, don't want to reset without a code...

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

.Ataraxia. posted:

Eleven Table Tennis is legit. I feel like the skills I'm gaining will transfer over to real world table tennis.

Approximately 99% of my total lifetime table tennis time is covid ETT, and I was shocked at how well it transferred to over-the-table (the one time I did it). You have to get used to the feel of hitting a real ball, but that goes away pretty quick.

Just get a paddle.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I had a Virtual Boy back in the day. It was not as bad as people made it out to be, but there needed to be more games. Teleroboxer is basically Punch Out in first person, Red Alert was a fun flying game, the Wario game was really good, but Panic Bomber was the one that I played the most as puzzle games have the best replay-ability.

Skip Waterworld, that piece of poo poo was the worst cash grab game I've ever played.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I think Jeremy Parish made the argument in his retrospective series that if the VB had just been a higher resolution Game Boy it would've been way better recieved.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Here's my referral link if someone wants it

https://www.oculus.com/referrals/link/Trashcanballs69/

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
One thing that's hard to appreciate nowadays is just how CRISP the display was on the Virtual Boy. And high res, for that matter. Monochrome red, but still.

The scanning LED display was pretty cool for its time, honestly. Just was a bit of a solution looking for the right problem.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
How much dodge-swaying is necessary for Until You Fall? With my current floorspace I need to be able to play VR without actually needing to move my feet.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Once you get to the second area it's a required part of most fights, you don't need to move your feet though, just lean to one side or duck.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

njsykora posted:

Once you get to the second area it's a required part of most fights, you don't need to move your feet though, just lean to one side or duck.
Thanks, that sounds doable. Blade and Sorcery isn't the same without my 2m. :(

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

Desdinova posted:

I was going to use your referral, but it gives me a version of a 404? Is it working for you, don't want to reset without a code...

Strange, it was used once, and it looks good to me. There was something about the referrals being restricted by country, maybe you hit that?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I got that bowling game that’s $5 and it owns so hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005
Don't take me for an ordinary man

UK account about to add a new headset to my account if anyone's got a code, I've had a Quest 2 activated on the account before but this is a new one so it should be okay...?