Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
CT has one school that's back to fully remote due to quarantines and another city that's mulling over the possibility of taking the whole district remote while cases go up. Kind of shocked it's actually happening again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Paradoxish posted:

CT has one school that's back to fully remote due to quarantines and another city that's mulling over the possibility of taking the whole district remote while cases go up. Kind of shocked it's actually happening again.

things have to be so much worse than they appear lol

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

HiroProtagonist posted:

as always, this being capitalism, the problem has never been with finding solutions or producing them, its always been with distributing them.

So eventually you'll have this therapy in sufficient quantity for everyone on the planet (or the capability to do so) but it will functionally be available for maybe 10% of the world's population anyway :nallears:

Exactly, and yet everyone will be absolutely SHOCKED when worker shortages in developing nations start impacting rich nations. Maybe retired white boomers can pick up the slack at the Nike sweatshops.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Pillowpants posted:

HHS DATA

Critical Staffing Shortages: 975
# of States with hospitalizations over 70%: 42
# of States with ICU occupancy over 70%: 44
# of Adults Hospitalized with COVID: 62,204
# Of Kids Hospitalized with COVID: 1,425 (highest in over a month)
# Of Adults in the ICU with COVID: 14,626
Hospital Bed Utilization: 76
Hospital Beds unused: 169k
COVID Hospital Beds: 12% (9% a few days ago)
ICU Bed Utilization: 77%
ICU Beds Unused: 19k
COVID ICU Beds: 23% (21% a few days ago)
FLU Data

ICU: 103 (First time it hit 100)
Hospitalizations: 983 (highest this year)

Annnd Crackping
https://twitter.com/patricklsimpson/status/1468245900686471173?s=20

https://twitter.com/patricklsimpson/status/1468246023046938627?s=20

https://twitter.com/patricklsimpson/status/1468246161190445067?s=20

Maybe I am a loving idiot, but I struggle with these charts. In some of them, Texas looks hosed, and in others it looks great

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

blue squares posted:

Maybe I am a loving idiot, but I struggle with these charts. In some of them, Texas looks hosed, and in others it looks great

The second charts are changes in hospitalizations and ICU usage. So the charts are telling you that TX is okay at this instant in time but the situation is rapidly deteriorating.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Louisgod posted:

is this thanksgiving finally having an effect maybe?

Dunno. I'll do another one in a week and we can see :bones:

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Radirot posted:

lol yeah my sleep pattern is all hosed up too

I switched to decaf a couple months ago and dumped energy drinks at the same time and my sleep schedule has more or less gone back to normal. clonk out at 10 or 10:30, wake up maybe once through the night, and wake up at about 5:30 or 6 and get between 1.5 and 2 hours of deep sleep. probably helps that instead of stressing over things I can't control I accept that we're turbo hosed.

zone
Dec 6, 2016
dying from a very mild disease (safely)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Glumwheels posted:

It goes without saying but the American medical system is a dumpster fire.

We’ve been dealing for months with charges for a visit and COVID test at multicare urgent care clinic for a possible COVID exposure that happened last May. They’ve hosed up the billing and turned it over to collections 3 times now without notifying us. Insurance has paid the bill but Multicare didn’t update the account and no matter how many times I call to complain no one in their billing department seems to want to figure it out. I sure as hell am not paying the full amount either, they can get hosed. I’m also reporting them to the state for this bullshit.

So yes Psaki, sending out free COVID tests is 100% what you should do. loving privilege idiot.

I don't even understand this poo poo because when I was in the States I just made an appointment at a Quest Diagnostics lab, strolled in, got swabbed within 2 min, there was no discussion of insurance or billing information at any point, and I got my results by mail the next day.

Maybe they're gonna come after me with a bill at some point, but all they have is my DOB and email and I live on a different continent so good luck assholes lol

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
https://twitter.com/data_lore/status/1468253843880296449

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

So I was trapped in a rehab facility full of unmasked employees with a confirmed COVID outbreak 2 nights ago, with nobody at the front desk, nobody who'd answer my calls for help, and every door in the building was locked and alarmed. Staff looked at me weird for wearing a mask. Only news station on TV is Fox. Since I'd been buzzed in without being seen or talked to, and from the staff in the hallway talking about walking off the job, I assumed nobody gave a poo poo and I crawled through the Intake Window to escape. I gave them the courtesy of signing myself out. You're welcome.

Now I'm about to embark on a rescue mission to get my dad out with a few medical peeps. Their facility administrator didn't even know about the COVID outbreak, they heard the news from me when they returned my angry phone call this morning.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Other than going back to running regularly the single best quality of life improvement I've made over the past few months is just going to bed by 11. As in sleep, not "loving around on my phone for two more hours." No caffeine after 4 either. I was honestly a little unhinged and drinking way too much booze/coffee for over a year. No bueno.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

The conversation is shifting to "there is NO evidence it is NOT mild" so big high five to whoever predicted that 2 weeks ago

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
the CDC still hasn't updated their broken covid forecast graph lol

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Failed Imagineer posted:

I don't even understand this poo poo because when I was in the States I just made an appointment at a Quest Diagnostics lab, strolled in, got swabbed within 2 min, there was no discussion of insurance or billing information at any point, and I got my results by mail the next day.

Maybe they're gonna come after me with a bill at some point, but all they have is my DOB and email and I live on a different continent so good luck assholes lol

Right now there is a debt collection agency in the US who bought your medical debt for 7 cents on the dollar and is furiously trying to track you down.

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

let's play Are You Smarter Than a Scary Proportion of Medical School Students !

a friend of mine is studying for the step 1 (medical licensing) exam and came across the question below. see if you can get the correct answer:

quote:

Researchers are developing a vaccine to protect against a novel coronavirus infection. The virus spreads via droplet inhalation and enters respiratory epithelium using viral spike proteins. The researchers develop mRNA for the spike protein in vitro and formulate an mRNA vaccine that can be administered to susceptible individuals. The protective effect generated by this vaccine most likely involves with of the following mechanisms?

A - Enhanced extracellular RNase enzyme production
B - Expression of viral protein by antigen-presenting cells
C - Formation of antibodies targeting viral mRNA
D - Integration of viral mRNA into the host genome

Quote this post with your choice so we can see how well CSPAM does :science:

Did you guess that the answer is choice B? If so, you beat 47% of current third-year medical school students in the United States. Specifically the answers were chosen in this breakdown:

A 2% chose this answer
B 53% chose this answer
C 37% chose this answer
D 6% chose this answer

(my friend got it right. she's very brain-broken, don't worry, teetering on the edge of respirator crew)

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

Where they get you at urgent care facilities is when you go in for a test and agree to let them check your other symptoms. Then they charge your insurance for the visit as a sick visit, and not just a covid test. Many such cases.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Sergg posted:

So I was trapped in a rehab facility full of unmasked employees with a confirmed COVID outbreak 2 nights ago, with nobody at the front desk, nobody who'd answer my calls for help, and every door in the building was locked and alarmed. Staff looked at me weird for wearing a mask. Only news station on TV is Fox. Since I'd been buzzed in without being seen or talked to, and from the staff in the hallway talking about walking off the job, I assumed nobody gave a poo poo and I crawled through the Intake Window to escape. I gave them the courtesy of signing myself out. You're welcome.

Now I'm about to embark on a rescue mission to get my dad out with a few medical peeps. Their facility administrator didn't even know about the COVID outbreak, they heard the news from me when they returned my angry phone call this morning.

Idk if this is real but america sounds awesome

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

mod sassinator posted:

the CDC still hasn't updated their broken covid forecast graph lol

:lmao:

Do we think they'll still give it a downward forecast forever?

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Spoondick posted:

it's not fair the "lockdowns kill people" get a natural experiment and the "lockdowns save lives" people don't

the latter experiment was ran in china and showed amazing efficacy but it was also found to cost money

and inconvenience rich people

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Failed Imagineer posted:

I can see online that my dr's office submitted a claim for $177 to do a covid test

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Soap Scum posted:

let's play Are You Smarter Than a Scary Proportion of Medical School Students !

I'm a computer toucher who hasn't cracked a bio book in decades and even I got that right. LOL at D though.

Stoop Kid
Jan 17, 2007

Afraid to leave his stoop.

Sergg posted:

[COVID] I crawled through the intake window to escape

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Failed Imagineer posted:

If these fuckers ever call you, just hang up.

pillsburysoldier posted:

Idk if this is real but america sounds awesome

It's near Detroit

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Sergg posted:

did you escape from a mental hospital

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Sergg posted:

Trust me, after years of trying to get various US businesses to call me back for different stuff, no receptionist in the US even knows how to dial an international number lol

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

blue squares posted:

Texas just has the most hospital beds in the country.

68,611 beds
46,214 in use (California is only state with more beds used)
3,505 of those are due to Covid

Of those,

5,802 are in ICU
960 are Covid related

Texas’s data is hosed because they have 500+ hospitals and 400 of them routinely don’t report everything HHS wants.

Elea
Oct 10, 2012

Sergg posted:

Like you went in the front door to talk about your dad and had to crawl out a window to get out because no one would help you?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Loucks posted:

I'm a computer toucher who hasn't cracked a bio book in decades and even I got that right. LOL at D though.

Spoiler: D is the correct answer and the professor is a chud

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Sergg posted:

It's near Detroit

Detroit: Become Mild

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Sergg posted:

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006
this thread has gone MILD

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

denmark figures holding up as well

https://twitter.com/M_B_Petersen/status/1468237024939360273

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Stoop Kid posted:

[COVID] I crawled through the intake window to escape

Modern problems require modern solutions

Elea posted:

Like you went in the front door to talk about your dad and had to crawl out a window to get out because no one would help you?

I got into a vestibule and started trying to open doors and set off sirens so I just waited there with sirens blaring in my face until I was buzzed into the facility without being seen or talked to, then I visited my dad who was receiving incorrect meds, his call light was 'broken', the staff was too sparse and too busy to let me out of the building so yes, I physically walked around their front desk, opened the Intake Window, walked back into the vestibule, and signed myself out in the log book.

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Hmm, I dare say that covid is mildly over

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lmao pretty much when you see 3 digit growth numbers each day it's hosed unless the nation does a Comrade Xi style intervation for a month.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

denmark figures holding up as well

I like how itt you can interpret this sentence to mean "numbers are climbing exponenentially and everything's on fire" . It's counter-intuitive but once you get into it you can really lmao

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

mod sassinator posted:

former surgeon general is fully crack pinged, i love it

https://twitter.com/JeromeAdamsMD/status/1468216268901789702

It a really bad contrast to Israel which did quicker data collection and actually used to the data to drive nation level strategy changes.

The US by contrast took months to reach the same conclusion through the various panel and levels of redundant decision making

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
I got my PCR yesterday, I will be so mad if I somehow have omi-chan and didn't get to enjoy any of the suck and gently caress ahead of time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

hobbesmaster posted:

make sure to review the clinic as well everywhere you can, bizarrely some practices are responsive to reviews

Oh I will, planning to do a nice yelp review in addition to the email I send to the state.

We have insurance too and it’s difficult. The only reason why we went there was because the state was booked for days and we needed tests to be sure. We didn’t catch COVID in the end but it was a very costly experience had the state and the federal government done a way better job with access to testing.