Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

So the CDC is going to pretty much just lie and say that Unicron isn't anything to worry about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/ZeroSuitCamus/status/1468269002963173379?s=20

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

SKULL.GIF posted:

So the CDC is going to pretty much just lie and say that Unicron isn't anything to worry about?

It's probably no more severe than Delta. Why worry?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

SKULL.GIF posted:

always has been .jpg

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

SKULL.GIF posted:

They're just waiting for him to transform into his final form.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
Me: Hey, I am sick. I got swabbed yesterday, but I won't know if I have covid or this is just a cold or something until I get the results back in couple of days.
My Idiot Manager Who Works in Healthcare and Should Already Understand This Stuff But Doesn't: Ok, cool. Are you coming in tomorrow for the team meeting? You have some slides to present.
Me: .. Uh.. I just said that I may have corona virus and if I don't, I am still actively sick. So no, I will not be coming in, in person.
My Idiot Manager: Ok, thanks.

~Fin~

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

SKULL.GIF posted:

as the UK is starting to say it looks more transmissible, and the vaccine companies have now had exactly as much time as they said they needed to understand omicron impact on them and they haven't said a loving word or hinted at any good news...

Bearjew
Apr 18, 2017

Omicron? covid is over, folks. close the thread

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

:thunk:

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

They will wait until they can have some positive sounding announcement from moderna or Pfizer about an updated shot and will urge freedom and responsibility.

Elea
Oct 10, 2012
r/coronavirus on Fauci saying omicron almost certainly isn't more severe than delta.

quote:

Given how conservative Fauci is with his statements I take this to be incredibly good news. Of course it might still be more transmissible which would suck but overall I think less severe will be better for humanity in the long run.

quote:

If it’s milder than Delta, then “more transmissible” would be a good thing as it would out-compete the more lethal Delta and eventually make it extinct like Alpha and COVID 1.0 before it.

quote:

At what point do we start rooting for Omicron to make things even out a little bit in the world?

quote:

Why do they have to make even positive news still have a negative feeling to it

highly upvoted posted:

This pandemic has shown that some humans really have a god complex. Nature is powerful and we are seeing it first hand. Every action we take, there seems to be a reaction (like Delta & Omicron which threw major spanners). I think this author needs to accept that it is just not possible to get global cooperation to completely solve this issue. Just as we have not been able to solve poverty or war conflicts. Half the planet lives without food and COVID is the least of their problems.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Now that's what I call a terrible model!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

delay due to a holiday

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
forever opening ‘er up

mystes
May 31, 2006

How the gently caress can you determine severity when everyone who has it has only had it for a couple days! Is everyone loving stupid?!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

mystes posted:

How the gently caress can you determine severity when everyone who has it has only had it for a couple days! Is everyone loving stupid?!
no, everyone is eating

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

I like how itt you can interpret this sentence to mean "numbers are climbing exponenentially and everything's on fire" . It's counter-intuitive but once you get into it you can really lmao

I'm not sure what you're trying to say exactly, but things in Denmark are looking bad.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/denmark/

Not like, America bad or anything crazy like that

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

bowser posted:

Exactly, and yet everyone will be absolutely SHOCKED when worker shortages in developing nations start impacting rich nations. Maybe retired white boomers can pick up the slack at the Nike sweatshops.

https://bestlifeonline.com/walgreens-canceled-vaccine-appointments-news/

quote:

Dania Palanker told The Washington Post on Dec. 5 that she was "furious" with Walgreens after taking her 7-year-old daughter to her scheduled vaccination appointment in Cheverly, Maryland. According to Palanker, the pair had arrived for the appointment only to find that the pharmacy counter at the store had closed a half-hour before their confirmed appointment.

A similar incident happened to Brooke Clanton in Englewood, Colorado. Clanton had received an email from the pharmacy chain just hours before she was set to take her two children to get their second COVID vaccine dose, informing her that Walgreens had canceled the appointments without explanation, as reported by ABC-affiliate Denver 7.

A quick search on Twitter shows dozens more complaining about canceled appointments for vaccinations at Walgreens locations, with some saying they were never notified that their appointment had been canceled, and others saying they were given just a few hours notice.

"Super excited to get my COVID-19 booster today, only for Walgreens to cancel my appointment for no reason, no assistance with rescheduling, only new [appointments] two weeks out," one Twitter user tweeted Dec. 1. Another said on Dec. 2, "Walgreens canceled my first and rescheduled booster appointments. They didn't even call to cancel the second one, there was a hand-written sign on the door when I arrived that the pharmacy was unexpectedly closed all day."

Walgreens said that the canceled appointments were a result of labor shortages hitting stores across the U.S. The chain has been shortening hours due to a lack of staff at various locations since October, Axios reported. In August, Walgreens said it has hired 25,000 full and part-time workers throughout the pandemic, and it also announced it was raising its minimum hourly wage to $15, per Insider. But the pharmacy chain only started with gradual raises in October, with full implementation not expected until Nov. 2022.

"We have adjusted pharmacy hours in a limited number of stores to accommodate current staffing needs, while also working to ensure minimal disruption to our customers," Walgreens told Denver 7 in a recent statement. "Our team members work with patients to reschedule any impacted vaccination appointments at these stores as quickly as possible. We are enhancing our digital scheduler to ensure it better supports fluctuations in store hours."

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
lol the reason that all these stories about being mild are published is that the people making them know there no consequences. It doesn't matter if it kills people, they are literally unaccountable for any amount of destruction lmao

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Clocks posted:

dang i didn't get the memo, where's my house?

You buy it with your Tesla stock and crypto stash. Easy.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Here's the Raw data on COVID Hospitalizations, if anyone is interested in number.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
I'm currently sitting on a Teams meeting, and I'm watching close to a dozen people in a closely-packed conference room with nary a mask in sight, one of whom is my boss who flew out across the country for meetings at the company headquarters this week. This poo poo's gonna absolutely scythe through Blue MAGA.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Pillowpants posted:

Here's the Raw data on COVID Hospitalizations, if anyone is interested in number.

Even with fl being a clear lie its embarrassingly bad

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Lmao that the new strains are a lot worse than OG covid-19 and we've drat near stopped trying at this point, think about how seriously we were taking it in March-April 2020 compared to now. Not that it'd matter, that rear end in a top hat Fauci would say its safe to OPEN BIDEN the first day cases tick down after another lockdown.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

AppleNippleBOB posted:

I'm not sure what you're trying to say exactly, but things in Denmark are looking bad.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/denmark/

Not like, America bad or anything crazy like that

Just meant that in normie speak "numbers holding up" generally means things are stable or something, but here we can take it as "numbers have absolutely gone to poo poo, as predicted".

RIP Denmark

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Protip: If your Powerpoint slide has more words on it than one of the Wheel of Time books, it's too loving long.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Louisgod posted:

it's not even junk science, it's a concerted effort by those in authority to gaslight those raising the alarm so as to not panic the populaces. shipping routes, supply chains, and making sure Wal-Mart and Targets are stocked with the newest plastic poo poo to appease Number is more important than protecting lives.

:capitalism:

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I was unequivocally told that I have to fly on the 17th to go to a 3 day meeting in South Carolina. Where is a good place to order new N95 masks in Canada so I don't eat poo poo on this Quixotic affair since you apparently can't fly with a respirator on?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Salt Fish posted:

lol the reason that all these stories about being mild are published is that the people making them know there no consequences. It doesn't matter if it kills people, they are literally unaccountable for any amount of destruction lmao

they know it's better to kill people slowly than to ever spook the markets

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1468251940874301442?s=20

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
loving lmao

https://twitter.com/RASmith2017/status/1468204984806391812?t=JWJjRqgMspy8zFeWKwdWyg&s=19

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Omnicarus posted:

I was unequivocally told that I have to fly on the 17th to go to a 3 day meeting in South Carolina. Where is a good place to order new N95 masks in Canada so I don't eat poo poo on this Quixotic affair since you apparently can't fly with a respirator on?

spring for 3m 8233s. they're n100 masks with a rubber grommet/seal

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Omnicarus posted:

why couldn't you fly with a respirator on?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

RealityWarCriminal posted:

why couldn't you fly with a respirator on?

because tsa wants us to die

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

MysteriousStranger posted:

The boom is not millennials. What's happening is investors are scooping poo poo up in bulk.

Yeah. We thought there would be a price collapse when boomers finally sold their houses, but it turns out banks and REITs can send in people with wads of cash and convert everything into rental properties.

Here's a story about how a single REIT took over 80% of rentals in canada's north, they started small and used money from government contracts to buy up everything, have since been bought out to the tune of $4.9 billion to an international investment firm and continue to swallow up rentals across the country. Meanwhile the housing situation within 3 hour drive of most urban areas is beyond abysmal with small condos, nevermind houses, easily starting at 1 mill. I'll always remember going on vacation and realizing I could own a lovely farmhouse in Provence for the same price as a 2 bedroom condo in this frozen hellhole.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lmao some more data how even vaccine-induced protection is going to being not so effective against the variant.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Louisgod posted:

it's not even junk science, it's a concerted effort by those in authority to gaslight those raising the alarm so as to not panic the populaces. shipping routes, supply chains, and making sure Wal-Mart and Targets are stocked with the newest plastic poo poo to appease Number is more important than protecting lives.

Yeah, "junk science" is the wrong way to look at it, because making these claims at all at this stage is about as unscientific as it gets. It's science-flavored propaganda.

Most of the messaging on COVID follows the climate change playbook pretty much perfectly. If there's a range of possible outcomes, always pick the most optimistic (no matter how unlikely) and portray it as reality. Admit worse outcomes are possible only when your old optimism completely falls outside of the range of realistic possibilities, and even then, only ever choose the most plausibly optimistic possibility you can find.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

It would be great if they would break down who had the booster versus who was testing out.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Elea posted:

r/coronavirus on Fauci saying omicron almost certainly isn't more severe than delta.

There has started to be some panic over there since the SA hospitalizations went up so fast. The it’s just mild narrative starting to fall apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/PKBurian/status/1468253828000763909?t=EgU0vbX1SrWDxQ9QgwnLIg&s=19