Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Help I’m living a sitcom plot!!! Next I’ll spontaneously pretend my platonic friend is my lover without telling friend first then rope them in afterward to impress WASP parents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Bridesmaid OP sounds great, hmu cutie

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I like that she continues to act as though was just the tattoos even though she had to do a loving practice run with him that included things like what he should and shouldn't say out loud.

And her parents were rude to him anyway, but that's just their way, y'know?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Halloween Jack posted:

More Tattoo Troubles!

AITA for telling my sister that her wedding will never be that important to me?

I mean, asking to have the tattoos covered up and the hair dyed isn't an entirely unreasonable request. I certainly know a few brides who shelled out to have a hair/makeup pro for the bridal party so they could all have a coherent look. But that's also something you would bring up before you invited someone to be a bridesmaid, not after you've made the invitation and also had them purchase a dress.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

LanceHunter posted:

I mean, asking to have the tattoos covered up and the hair dyed isn't an entirely unreasonable request
Nah, gently caress you.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

LanceHunter posted:

I mean, asking to have the tattoos covered up and the hair dyed isn't an entirely unreasonable request. I certainly know a few brides who shelled out to have a hair/makeup pro for the bridal party so they could all have a coherent look. But that's also something you would bring up before you invited someone to be a bridesmaid, not after you've made the invitation and also had them purchase a dress.

its her loving sister

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The people that request bridal party members to dye their hair and cover their tattoos are absolutely the same type that would tell them to take off their glasses or try to stand for this one photo so we don't see that ugly wheelchair.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I have a difficult to pronounce name and I just straight up tell people I don’t care if they mispronounce it so long as I can tell they mean me. Dunno how I’d even respond if someone flubbed it on purpose, but flustering people with aggressive good faith until they either have to admit they’re being dicks or leave me alone is my old standard.

Halloween Jack posted:

More Tattoo Troubles!

Obviously OP should make the sister promise to show up to their* wedding with pink highlights and back tats. It’s only fair. With a written contract of course.

*or appropriate comparable life event

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Sneaking legally binding jargon into my RSVP cards so that I can sue (I never would, but I could) the bridal party if and when they fail to take my "be more beautiful" threats seriously.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
AITA for not forgiving my Grandpa after what he said to me?

quote:

I'm (18M) gay and from a rural town. It's not necessarily homophobic here other than more older generations, but its more tolerated than anything. I was outed at 13 because I forgot to clear the browser history on the computer. My parents accepted it ok, but my granpa hated it and would constantly tell me stuff like I'm sinning or going to hell if I stayed in the lifestyle or how dissapointed he was...

My bestfriend from middle school turned into to my bf the summer before freshman year and things got bad and I was in abusive relationship till I was almost 16. I eventually found the courage to tell someone who helped me talk to my parents and get help and leave him. While healing and in therapy my grandpa had found out what happened and he came to see me and told that I deserved what happened to me for the sin of being gay ..

That was the most hurtful thing he'd ever said to me and from then on I avoided him like the plague even after he'd apologized to my parents and joined pflag. I just couldn't forgive him. He has stage 4 lung cancer now and he's dieing and Saturday I decided to go visit him with my parents and some othe family members. While there he tried to apologize to me and telling how he was a horrible grandfather and he was sorry for what he put me through. That it was one of his dying wishes to reconcile me.

I got pissed and yelled at him that that would never happen and that I hated him and just ran out of the hospital room. Later my parents said I wasn't being fair an that my grandad had been trying over the years amd that he's dying and I should just forgive him. For the last few day I've been getting calls from family about how rude and selfish I'm being to a dying man. AITA?
Me sowing: Haha gently caress yeah!!! Yes!!

Me reaping: *cough* *cough*

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Sneaking legally binding jargon into my RSVP cards so that I can sue (I never would, but I could) the bridal party if and when they fail to take my "be more beautiful" threats seriously.

But not TOO beautiful or you'd be purposefully upstaging the bride and stealing her attention. Attention theft is a very real crime that even eclipses wage theft, yet when you talk about it people call you a "narcissist" or "bridezilla". Really makes u think.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Covering tats isn't an unreasonable ask, IMHO; makeup is cheap and nonpermanent. (A weird ask, but doesn't require a lot of effort from the bridesmaid.) Re-dying hair, though, is $$$ and permanent, because another rebleach to get the pink back would probably damage the hair.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

WoodrowSkillson posted:

its her loving sister

...and if they aren't close enough that they would have been having this conversation before the wedding planning started, then it seems pretty clear they weren't close enough that it would be assumed that she'd be a bridesmaid.

The bride is clearly an rear end in a top hat for springing this on op, but the request in and of itself is not completely unreasonable (if it were made before the invitation to be a bridesmaid occurred). I think we're all primed to be on the side of the tattoo'd person because of the earlier story about the lovely family, but for all we know op's got an enormous back-piece of her terrible Sonic OC or something else out of the tattoo disasters thread.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

LanceHunter posted:

...and if they aren't close enough that they would have been having this conversation before the wedding planning started, then it seems pretty clear they weren't close enough that it would be assumed that she'd be a bridesmaid.

The bride is clearly an rear end in a top hat for springing this on op, but the request in and of itself is not completely unreasonable (if it were made before the invitation to be a bridesmaid occurred). I think we're all primed to be on the side of the tattoo'd person because of the earlier story about the lovely family, but for all we know op's got an enormous back-piece of her terrible Sonic OC or something else out of the tattoo disasters thread.

ya man what if she had like a swastika tatooed on her face thatd be crazy, crazy to think about. what if there's like a big cock tattoo on her chest and its doing a little dance or something, thatd be wild

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Halloween Jack posted:

More Tattoo Troubles!

Sister/Bridesmaid replies: I didn't think my own sister would throw a tantrum over fuckin tattoos and fuckin hair,

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
It doesn't matter, it's a tattoo she could have a tat of Jessie getting Railed by Bulbasaur (please don't ask it's burned into my brain,) and it's not going to ruin a wedding.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Halloween Jack posted:

AITA for not forgiving my Grandpa after what he said to me?

Me sowing: Haha gently caress yeah!!! Yes!!

Me reaping: *cough* *cough*

That loving sucks, but coming from a very similar experience, I do wish I'd forgiven my father before he passed, for myself more than him.

But the past is done with now!

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

sugar free jazz posted:

ya man what if she had like a swastika tatooed on her face thatd be crazy, crazy to think about. what if there's like a big cock tattoo on her chest and its doing a little dance or something, thatd be wild

you all will regret your words and deeds when you see she has Silver the Hedgehog blasted on her throat doing Goatse. haha

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

Boba Pearl posted:

you all will regret your words and deeds when you see she has Silver the Hedgehog blasted on her throat doing Goatse. haha

Now when you say 'doing' goatse, do you mean Silver is stretching his own anus, or Silver is having sex with the goatman? Your answer is really important to how I view this.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Boba Pearl posted:

It doesn't matter, it's a tattoo she could have a tat of Jessie getting Railed by Bulbasaur (please don't ask it's burned into my brain,) and it's not going to ruin a wedding.

At a certain point, you're not inviting a person with a Sonic sex montage on their person, you're inviting a Sonic sex montage with a person attached. It's all a matter of perspective.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for calling my MIL selfish for cutting up the wedding gown I wanted to wear?

quote:

My husband and I got married a couple years ago and we were broke and planned on doing everything very low budget. MIL and I had an alright, though never close relationship, and she said I could burrow something to wear. she has a job which results in her getting invited to a lot of black tie events, and she had plenty of evening gowns. I was very grateful, though disappointed because none of them felt bridal, but obviously it isn't her fault that we were broke.

While looking through her dresses I found her wedding gown from her marriage to FIL. It was a beautiful vintage gown that she got in France and it was probably one of a kind. Her and FIL were in the process of an extremely nasty divorce and he had been cheating. I asked if I could wear it and she said she had to ask her parents because they paid for it. I thought that was kind of weird, because obviously they gave it to her and had never asked for it back, but I didn't think much of it. MILs parents are super nice and inviting, so I wasn't worried.

A few weeks later, MIL said she had been cleaning her closet and found the perfect dress for me. It was gold and sparkly, and really not the bridal dress I wanted, so I asked if she had asked her parents about the wedding gown, and she admitted that she had left it out after I left and the next night she had cut it up in a drunken rage. I was in total shock and very emotional. I ended up settling for something else, but I kept thinking about that dress she had destroyed, and honestly it made me come to dislike her a bit.

That was about three years ago and she just got engaged and not going to lie, i'm not super happy for her, because she selfishly destroyed what could have been a beautiful family heirloom. We had a family dinner recently and MILs mom is just over the moon about the engagement because she still lives in 1950 and thought her daughter was a spinster.

MIL made a comment about how happy she is and how she thought she was just going to be a bitch forever after the divorce. Then she laughed again and was like I was super mean for a year. Her mom immediately was like no you are perfect. MIL started recounting the stuff she destroyed, FIL's car interior, her stepmother's living room, and then the dress. Her mom tried to reassure her that was normal behavior and at this point I was annoyed and chimed in that it wasn't normal and destroying that dress when she knew how much I wanted to wear it was really loving selfish. MIL immediately started to play the victim about how I don't care about her at all, she was depressed, how dare I bring this up. MIL's fiancé called me trashy and a gold digger, so we left, but no everyone in the family is taking sides and pretty divided over who was the rear end in a top hat.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Give me your wedding dress (that is inextricably tied to a toxic marriage).

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Halloween Jack posted:

Consult your doctor if you experience a queef lasting more than 4 hours.
Well you've lasted decades so

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Queefs are one of the funniest loving things human beings are capable of and if you can't laugh at one you shouldn't be having sex in the first place.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

B-Rock452 posted:

He would also try the trump power handshake so people one guy just held onto his hand for a super uncomfortably long time after he tried the handshake and it was really funny how angry he got

Is that the one where you pull the hand towards you? Someone tried that on me once and I lost my balance enough that I decided to lean into it and fell over. Great way to skewer any subtle dominance they were trying for, if you're willing to take the fall. No way to both keep the power position and pretend it's innocent.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

lol people outside of movies actually do all those petty and obvious social power game stuff? It's so obvious and pathetic.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Baronjutter posted:

lol people outside of movies actually do all those petty and obvious social power game stuff? It's so obvious and pathetic.

Listen buster,

*faint penny clinking noise from my rectum as I exhale*

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I’ve only seen people be comically inconsiderate. One nurse I worked with was a huge self-absorbed weirdo who was so into herself and uninterested in other people she just wasn’t capable of remembering basic poo poo about other people.

I say this as someone who is terrible with names and birthdays to the point I have to use calendar notifications for my own family.

She constantly confused two black dudes on our shift, one who was light-skin, average build with a mustache and wore glasses (literally looked, dressed and acted like the black republicans from the Key and Peele skit) and the other who was very dark skinned, part asian, and had a round hairless face, stocky and narrow eyes. Their height was like the only thing even remotely similar. I cannot stress that these dudes look and dress NOTHING alike.

Like these dudes looked NOTHING alike and over two years she never got them straight to the point everyone would just burst out laughing since she got it wrong every day multiple times a shift. But it clearly wasn’t active maliciousness is was just a complete passive disinterest or awareness in anyone else.

She also asked me to grab food for her on my lunch break and tried to pay me back in a pile of nasty change from the bottom of her purse and when I was like “lol no” she argued to me that it was legal tender and I had to accept. I just told her to forget it it’s free now and never picked up food for her after that.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Halloween Jack posted:

I told him what he should or shouldn’t say, how to talk, how to address any of my dad’s concerns etc. At no point did he ever show any enthusiasm so that was a bad sign.

lol

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Baronjutter posted:

And one was elected president of the USA

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I thought you were supposed to tickle their palm with your index finger while shaking their hand to let them know you have no problems loving them if it becomes necessary.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Apparently Putin does this to an extreme extent too. Like doesn't make it subtle at all. Apparently Merkle is afraid of dogs, Putin found out and just had a big dog roaming around during a meeting.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Baronjutter posted:

Apparently Putin does this to an extreme extent too. Like doesn't make it subtle at all. Apparently Merkle is afraid of dogs, Putin found out and just had a big dog roaming around during a meeting.

This is why if I ever become a politician I'll make it clear that I hate cuddly cats and beer.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

LanceHunter posted:

I'm on the side of OP for many reasons, including her bridezilla sister already making her pay for a bridesmaid dress. No doubt she'd have told OP to pay herself to have the hair redone & tattoos covered up, which is extra expense. Her additional comments shed some light about how sister had mostly asked friends to be in the bridal party but OP felt like she was only asked to keep the peace with family (guessing OP & sister haven't been on good terms for a while). Plus assholes that can't afford their own weddings without guests or members paying for it can eat poo poo & I hope the wedding industry implodes just like their little sham ceremonies.

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Dec 7, 2021

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I absolutely cannot abide discussing terms while baked on massive blunts, ambassador, it is so gauche

But if you insist

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

She also asked me to grab food for her on my lunch break and tried to pay me back in a pile of nasty change from the bottom of her purse and when I was like “lol no” she argued to me that it was legal tender and I had to accept. I just told her to forget it it’s free now and never picked up food for her after that.

You missed the chance for the true power move of eating the meal instead of giving it to her.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

I thought you were supposed to tickle their palm with your index finger while shaking their hand to let them know you have no problems loving them if it becomes necessary.

Last time someone did the power shake to me I put my other hand on top of his and continued talking while looking him dead in the eye. I mean he was cute if not really dumb and agro so not entirely my type

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
And did you two gently caress?

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

And did you two gently caress?

A gentleman never tells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE