Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What's the most pathetic are people who are not actually assholes, they're just stupid dumb cargo cult idiots who read about a power handshake in some "10 tricks boost your management power level!!" article and thinks they're simply supposed to do all that poo poo to be an effective boss or negotiator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Combo posted:

A gentleman never tells.

Not sure what that has to do with B-Rock452's story.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Combo posted:

A gentleman never tells.

Who the gently caress asked you to play the piano?

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Combo posted:

A gentleman never tells.

I am pretty far from a gentleman but most interactions with him were excruciating since he was one of those management 101 types. He also loved talking about Jordan Peterson

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Bruceski posted:

Is that the one where you pull the hand towards you? Someone tried that on me once and I lost my balance enough that I decided to lean into it and fell over. Great way to skewer any subtle dominance they were trying for, if you're willing to take the fall. No way to both keep the power position and pretend it's innocent.

I broke my hand slightly so my bones in one hand are arranged a little weird, and one unexpected result is that when people try the 'squeeze so it hurts' move on me my hand just kind of folds in on itself a bit and it doesn't hurt. So I'm just standing there looking quizzically at someone while they strain and my hand goes limp.

Late Fees
Jan 8, 2004
Your fees are valid.

:rip:

Polyamory is a loving joke.

quote:

We were married for 15 years. Our marriage was wonderful. She always had problems with mental health but I loved her so much that I was willing to help her with those problems forever. She gave me two beautiful children who I continue to cherish.

18 months ago she wanted to try polyamory and started a relationship with a guy she met online with my enthusiastic support. Three months ago that relationship ended. Three months ago she met another man who she fell in love with. They made plans for him to fly out here and for them to spend a weekend alone in a hotel.

It did not take me long to realize that polyamory wasn’t for me. I had assumed that it would’ve been a group thing but what she wanted was a private relationship with him. I tried my hardest to be OK with it but I could never get around the idea. I put myself through a lot of pain trying to make it happen and I couldn’t.

I told her that I couldn’t do it, crying as hard as I’ve ever cried before, and rather than being comforting for me, she went dead. All she could think about was herself. All she could think about was having to end her relationship with him.

Less than a month later she left me. She said she’s been unhappy for two years. But it seems awfully auspicious that she would say nothing for two years, only to say something once she was unable to have some other guy come over and gently caress her.

She didn’t have a job, I supported her and our family. I gave her 15 years of my life, abandoning any dream I might have so that I could work a job that would provide us a stable income. I gave her everything she ever wanted, entertained every hobby, and encouraged every dream she ever had. I was good to her. I was good to our children. I continue to be a fantastic father. But none of that seems to matter to her. All this seems to matter to her is that she get what she wants, no matter the cost, no matter the toll it takes on the people who love her.

I’m seeing other people now, I’ve cleaned up my house, and I’m moving on with my life. Still, however, I find myself incredibly bitter some mornings. I was wronged. She was selfish. And now my family has been cut in half because of it.

The most annoying part of all of this is that she’ll never realize what she really did. She’ll never realize how badly she treated me. She’ll never realize how selfish she’s been.

Polyamory is a loving joke and it destroyed my relationship with the woman I loved more than anyone else in my entire life. Last night she said she was going to come by and help me put up the Christmas tree with the kids. She stayed at her Airbnb, which her boyfriend is paying for. What a waste of loving time.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

AITA for breaking my promise to my husband and letting others meet our newborn before him?

quote:

I f25 moved away from my town and to my husband's m32 hometown after we got married. The main reason is because he suffers from a medical chronic condition and needs to be near his family.

I was pregnant with our first baby and was nearing my due date when my husband had to travel out of town for work for 2 weeks. Because of this he couldn't be with me in the delivery room which wasn't expected. I wanted to ask mom to come be with me but he assured me that his family are there to help and I shouldn't be worried. He then made me promise that I don't let anyone see our son for the first time in person before him besides his stepmom who was supposed to be there for me and I agreed.

His stepmom was with me when I went into labor but she stayed away since she is the type that doesn't get too involved and keeps her distance. She's also the "I don't do diapers" type meaning she doesn't offer help with the baby and I shouldn't be expecting it. She dropped me and my son off at home and asked that I only call if there's an emergency. I felt helpless I asked my neighbor for few favors but needed real help with the baby so I called my mom (she new I'd just given birth) and asked if she could come help me and she drove 4 hours to come stay with me. She helped out tremendously and I'm so so grateful for that.

My husband stayed away for few more days then came home. Once he saw my mom he got so upset repeatedly saying I broke the promise that I made him by not letting others meet our son before him and I explained that I needed help and he brought up his stepmom but I replied that she dropped me off and left that's it. Besides, he and mom are on good terms I didn't get why he was mad she met her grandbaby which was inevitable. He said it wasn't about mom since it could've been anybody else but it was about me disrespecting his wishes and breaking the promise I made. He reminded me that he's also the parent and he gets a say too. at this point I said he was overreacting but he replied that I forever tainted the memory of his son's birth and broke his trust and proved to him that my word "is worth poo poo" now. Mom tried to give us space but I said she did nothing wrong she came to help after his stepmom left so I can't be blamed for asking for help. He told me to stop giving him excuses and admit I wronged him with what I did and then started avoiding me and just kept focusing his attention on our son. He keeps acting cold towards me calling me a selfish promise breaker and expecting me to make it up to him. he wanted an apology but I haven't given him that yet.

AITA?

Eta We did talk to each other on the phone several times and he already knew that his stepmom refused to stay with me and told me to just call if something happens but I didn't tell him about calling me mom knowing how he'd react and decided to wait til he got home so we could talk about it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Late Fees posted:

Sometimes I like to look up the comments on these stories to see the OP being told what an rear end in a top hat they are and maybe if they're doubling down in the comments or something. Turns out this was not posted on AITA, but rather on OffMyChest which is apparently populated chiefly by incels.

Just a heads-up if anyone else has that habit.

E: Like every comment on AITA post above is screaming at OP that what is happening to her is spousal abuse and offering rational breakdowns and possible escape routes. It's far above reddit's posting standards.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 7, 2021

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Late Fees posted:

:rip:

Getting serious MGTOW vibes from this post.

EDIT:

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Sometimes I like to look up the comments on these stories to see the OP being told what an rear end in a top hat they are and maybe if they're doubling down in the comments or something. Turns out this was not posted on AITA, but rather on OffMyChest which is apparently populated chiefly by incels.

:lol: of course

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Benagain posted:

I broke my hand slightly so my bones in one hand are arranged a little weird, and one unexpected result is that when people try the 'squeeze so it hurts' move on me my hand just kind of folds in on itself a bit and it doesn't hurt. So I'm just standing there looking quizzically at someone while they strain and my hand goes limp.

Late Fees
Jan 8, 2004
Your fees are valid.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

E: Like every comment on AITA post above is screaming at OP that what is happening to her is spousal abuse and offering rational breakdowns and possible escape routes. It's far above reddit's posting standards.

yikes, i didn't notice. just something i ran across on the front page and i know this thread likes their poly stories

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

Arsenic Lupin posted:

AITA for breaking my promise to my husband and letting others meet our newborn before him?

"medical chronic condition"

Is Gaslighting Chronic rear end in a top hat a medical condition ?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Not a complaint against you, it is entirely valid content for the thread! Just a general warning if there are any other comment hunters here.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for yelling at my boyfriend and telling him he acts like a needy 5 year old

quote:

I've been applying for jobs recently. This morning my boyfriend "Ian" was still sleeping and my phone rang. It was one of the jobs that I applied for and they asked if I had a minute to talk. I said sure and went in my office and shut the door, I had been in my living room anyways but noise carries more from the living room and I was trying to be quiet.

Well right after I closed my office door Ian got up and I heard him walking around. Then he opened the door and came in. He asked "who is that?" "Oh! Is that your mom? Tell her hi". I was still talking to the hr person and he said "Is that Mary? Who is that?"

I got up and waved my arm (trying to wave him away) while still trying to answer the HR person's questions, and went back in the living room. He fallowed me and said "is that Kim? Ask if her and Kyle want to go for lunch with us later".

So I went in the kitchen instead, he fallowed me AGAIN and started unloading the dishwasher. I started walking back to my office and the HR lady said she wanted me to come in for an interview Thursday at one. So I said "Thursday at one works great". While she was explaining how to get there, get in the building and everything Ian comes running and says "no no no! not Thursday today! I work Thursday ". I thanked her and hung up.

I was annoyed. I said "that was about a job that wasn't Kim, you're worse than a nosey 5 year old that needs attention ".

He said "well you could have just told me who it was".

I said "yea in the middle of a call I'll say "hold on my bf wants to know who I'm talking to "".

He said "well you could have wrote it down or something, I was just curious, I get up and you're already on the phone Sorry. You don't have to be mean about it." He's done this crap before and it's annoying.

So I just stayed in my office and have been checking emails and futzing around. I'm just irritated because if that Hr person heard him I would have looked unprofessional and he was disrupting my concentration (I have Adhd) and made it harder for me to focus on what she was saying. Maybe I shouldn't have snapped like that and I overreacted.

AITA

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Fallowed?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for yelling at my boyfriend and telling him he acts like a needy 5 year old

Maybe I shouldn't have snapped like that and I overreacted.

No, you shouldn't have snapped like that, you should have actually snapped his neck.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Who the gently caress asked you to play the piano?

Hopefully nobody, I can't play piano!

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Has a chronic medical condition so severe that he needs to be near his family but also travels for work. :thunk:

Also I know sometimes it can't be avoided but traveled out of town for 2 weeks right around the time his first child is due?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Wall of text but you're never going to know where it'll take you:

AITA for throwing away my gf's umbilical cord?

quote:

Hi, my (34M) gf (21F) of two years is native American and she had this small, beaten up leather pouch. It was about the size of a golf ball, and it was beaded but there were beads missing and thread exposed and the leather was stained and greasy with something. It was supposed to look like a turtle or a lizard or something, but it was so beaten that I was hard to tell. The thing absolutely stunk. We had it in a box of keepsakes along with our photos and other things, and it made the box have a musty smell.

Imagine my horror when I asked her what the thing was, and she told me it was her umbilical cord?? It grossed me out and I thought she was joking, so I laughed. She looked upset, so I asked if she was serious. She was. I asked her why she had it, and she told me it was her people's cultural practice to stop you from searching for things or something among other things. I thought the sentiment was nice, but it stunk and was hideous.

I understand that some people keep teeth and that sort of thing, but teeth don't stink. And teeth aren't kept in a strange little pouch. The whole thing skeezed me out, so I put it back and left it alone.

But two weeks ago when she was sleeping, I was going through our things and wanted to scan an old photo. I opened our keepsake box and the wave of musty air hit me. I couldn't take it anymore, so I hid the thing in a box in the basement. We went through our photos and things together (it was a lovely night, we did it over wine) and she didn't even acknowledge that it was missing. I even asked her if she noticed anything gone from our stuff. She said she didn't, and laughed.

So yesterday, I decided to rid us of it and put it in the trash. It went, and I could breathe a sigh of relief knowing my girlfriend's actual entire mummified umbilical cord was where it should've been to begin with.

But today her mom called, and told her that she was willing to remake the pouch for her if she sent it. Oops... She proceeded to tear apart our room looking for it, sobbing hysterically and not listening to any kind of reason... I'll admit, I felt bad. Maybe I should've just left it alone, but why even keep such a thing? I came clean and told her that I threw it away because I thought she wouldn't notice.

She started screaming at me and said that it wasn't my right to throw her things away. I reminded her of when she threw my favorite shirt away just because it had a hole and a grease stain. She told me it wasn't the same thing, but isn't it? They were both items kept purely out of sentimentality. At least my shirt wasn't making our photos smell musty.

She was suddenly calm, and I thought she was willing to talk about it, but she started packing her stuff. I begged her to stay but she took her car and her stuff and left. I don't know where she went, or if she'll be back, but I'm so devastated. It was such a small and dumb thing to split us up over, but I do regret it. Am I the rear end in a top hat?

ETA Stop bringing our ages into this, she was and is an adult and you have no right to judge us. Focus on what I'm talking about here and now. I didn't want to put it in a different container because at the end of the day, we still would've had a body part that should've been tossed to begin with. Just because something is cultural doesn't mean that justifies it. Would it be okay if I kept all my fecal matter in a little bag because I thought it was special? It doesn't and didn't make sense. I feel like she was overreacting and I think everyone calling me the rear end in a top hat should have to smell the drat thing. Then you'd know why I tossed it.

ETA2 All these comments are making me feel like complete poo poo. The last time we fought, she came back after an hour. She isn't back yet, and it's starting to take a toll. She's the one that makes dinner, cleans, comforts me. She's always there for me. The notion that I might spend tonight alone is destroying me. She's always been perfect to me, and I do things like this that upset her. Maybe I AM the rear end in a top hat.... I'm sorry guys. I've been calling her and calling her and she won't answer. I just want to apologize and get her back. I want her to know how much she means to me. I think I might call her mom and tell her what I did and see if she can make another one... I know it won't be the same and it won't have her umbilical cord anymore, but maybe it'll be a start?

ETA3 I couldn't get ahold of her mom, but I have been on the phone with the sanitation department for our city, and they put me on hold for 45 minutes looking through the trash from our neighborhood. I barely caught them, and it took a lot of pleading and convincing but they were kind. They managed to find the pouch, and I'll have to pay a huge recovery fee, but that's all worth it. They agreed to let me pick it up tomorrow. If I can get ahold of my gf, hopefully she'll come back to me and things can be alright. I'll never touch her stuff again if it means she'll stay with me. I'll update this when I can get ahold of her.

ETA4 This will be the last update... I'm so devastated. I got the pouch back from the sanitation center today as soon as they called me at 8am this morning. It was a little smashed up but it's ok. If our city wasn't as small as it is, I might not have been able to get it back. I paid them and left. I left a voicemail for my gf telling her I got it back, and she finally called me back. She told me she was coming back and I felt butterflies again like when I first met her. I was waiting for her to show up, and I wanted to fully check the condition of the pouch, so I opened it and discovered what was causing it to smell-there was a cigarette butt in it beside her umbilical cord that looked like it might have been wet at some point. It made the pouch smell like ash, along with the leather stinking from whatever greasy substance was on it. The pouch was okay, so I waited for my gf to come.

Well she came this evening and asked for it immediately. I asked if she wanted to have dinner with me and she said no. I was hurt, she said she was coming back? She told me no, she just wants her pouch. I didn't want to be an rear end in a top hat again, so I just gave it to her. I told her I loved her and she slammed my own door in my face. I began to mourn our relationship but she came back in and grabbed me by my shirt and asked why I opened it. I told her I wanted to see if it was ok.

She said I didn't need to open it, and asked if I took the cigarette out. I told her I just touched it to look at it and she began to cry... She told me she was keeping that since her father committed suicide because it was the last thing he touched. She grabbed me again and I thought she was going to hit me, but she just went to our room presumably to see if she got all her stuff. Then she told me not to contact her again or she'd send her brothers to me.... I won't be an rear end in a top hat and get the police involved, but that was definitely a threat.

I'm so heartbroken... I've lost my whole life. For two whole years, she was everything to me. I helped her get off her reservation, I paid for her GED. I did so much for her but none of it matters now. I put so much time into our relationship and into her, I was in it for the long haul. I know I messed up. I know I'm an rear end in a top hat. I know I'll be alone forever. Thank you all for making me see that.

I went to our room, and she threw what looks like porcupine quills or something everywhere. She stabbed them into my side of the bed, put them in my shoes, in my dresser drawers. It seems spiteful to leave something so difficult to pick out of carpeting and bedding. They're all I have of her now though. I'm going to keep them. I hope she's better off without me. Lesson learned I guess.

Update 1 posted to r/witchcraft and r/occult

quote:

My gf left me a while back. It was justified because I was a terrible rear end in a top hat to her. But I have been told by many that I might have been cursed by her because she stabbed a lot of porcupine quills into my bed, my clothes in the dresser, my shoes before she left. I think it may be true, because I have been having a lot of extremely bad luck and my hair has begun to fall out among other things. I visited the doctor and he could find nothing obviously wrong with me but I'm waiting on tests to come back.

If she cursed me, what can I do to fix it? How can I fix it without harming anyone else or being hurt anymore? Please help me. I don't know where to turn with this.

Update 2 posted to r/mentalhealth

quote:

I recently had a psychotic break. I was hospitalized for a week and just got home today. I followed my therapist's advice and already removed all the reminders of my episode and used it as an opportunity to acknowledge the episode and cope. I'm discussing medications and what might have caused things exactly and I'm optimistic.

But what do I do now? I never had a history of mental illness. I never dealt with depression or anxiety or anything of that nature. I don't know what to do with myself, and it's the first time I've lived alone.

It was a very humbling and almost embarrassing thing. I feel humiliated. I was babbling and covered in my own feces and harming myself. I've never experienced anything so scary as the episode I endured. I'm not sure how to pick up the pieces and carry on. My family doesn't know what happened but they aren't very understanding of mental health so I can't tell them. I want this separate from the rest of my life completely. But overall I'm not sure what to do with myself. What do I do?

Comment from OP: I know I was an rear end in a top hat, I made amends with my ex gf and her family without prioritizing myself. I'm doing my best to be better now. I understand disliking me or even hating me for what I've done, but there's no need to discredit what I experienced. It was definitely a psychotic break, I was hospitalized and had to be again recently. I require medication now for the foreseeable rest of my life. I'm working with a therapist to get proper the diagnoses that I didn't know I needed.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Hughlander posted:

Wall of text but you're never going to know where it'll take you:

AITA for throwing away my gf's umbilical cord?

Update 1 posted to r/witchcraft and r/occult

Update 2 posted to r/mentalhealth

All I can say is I'm very relieved his ex was able to get her umbilical cord pouch back and I hope she's very happy without him, because jesus christ that level of abuse.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
that post really makes me wish i had curse powers too

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Jesus, he immediately jumps to "who's going to make me dinner? Who's going to clean?!"

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Unironically cross-post that to the Cursed Thread

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Oh hey I remember that story from one of the olden threads.

It did not get the updates I would expect.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Combo posted:

Also I know sometimes it can't be avoided but traveled out of town for 2 weeks right around the time his first child is due?

Yeah that raised my eyebrow as well, I know Americans live in an insane capitalist dystopia where you can be fired from any job for any reason at any time (unless you're super rich), but surely he'd have some time off booked around the due date? You would think, anyway. Assuming he actually cared about his wife and child.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

webmeister posted:

Yeah that raised my eyebrow as well, I know Americans live in an insane capitalist dystopia where you can be fired from any job for any reason at any time (unless you're super rich), but surely he'd have some time off booked around the due date? You would think, anyway. Assuming he actually cared about his wife and child.

My sister manages a pharmacy in a smallish town with a regular crew. Her schedule is done remotely by some central person and I can't tell any difference between them and the cokehead fuckwit who did my schedule at McDonald's when I was 15. Totally inconsistent bullshit done at the last minute for two-week intervals plus forgetting/denying holidays and making her find cover on her own every goddamn time. She's in her 40s and has a PhD and still has to deal with this poo poo.

So I can definitely see somebody getting schedule hosed on the birth of their child, but this guy was probably just cheating in the next town over.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

webmeister posted:

While there are exceptions, nearly any job that would involve traveling for 2 weeks at a time would make accomodations for a birth. That implies white collar, where the edge gets dulled a bit as everyone has vacation, sick time, and even maternity leave, not paternity though. Either he was cheating, or is a psycho who chose to travel, he was not forced to.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...

Halloween Jack posted:

Consult your doctor if you experience a queef lasting more than 4 hours.

AITA for telling my boyfriend that he should’ve covered up his tattoos if he wanted ANY respect from my family?

I guess she was planning to hide his tattoos until her parents die.

OP posted:

Edit: the amount of women dm’ing me that they’re single and asking if I’ve broken up with him yet is pathetic. it wasn’t funny the first time and it isn’t funny now. Also I think mods can lock this post now.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

greazeball posted:

My sister manages a pharmacy in a smallish town with a regular crew. Her schedule is done remotely by some central person and I can't tell any difference between them and the cokehead fuckwit who did my schedule at McDonald's when I was 15. Totally inconsistent bullshit done at the last minute for two-week intervals plus forgetting/denying holidays and making her find cover on her own every goddamn time. She's in her 40s and has a PhD and still has to deal with this poo poo.

So I can definitely see somebody getting schedule hosed on the birth of their child, but this guy was probably just cheating in the next town over.

This is a tactic used by businesses to make it harder for workers to unionise. If you're too busted to deal with even regular poo poo you don't have the energy to organise.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Lmfao loving perfect capstone to that. Dude rules. Hope he goes out and gets some. Odds are really high OP isn't even real Bougie, just comes from a family of wannabes.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

mind the walrus posted:

Lmfao loving perfect capstone to that. Dude rules. Hope he goes out and gets some. Odds are really high OP isn't even real Bougie, just comes from a family of wannabes.

I'm getting a strong Asian family vibe

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

mind the walrus posted:

Legit bougies are all covered in tattoos now. They really aren’t counter-cultural anymore unless they say like hail satan or something on them Or they’re on you’re face

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Hey you got some bougie on your face.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

exmachina posted:

I'm getting a strong Asian family vibe

I read this post first, so I misread the one you quoted like so

mind the walrus posted:

Lmfao loving perfect capstone to that. Dude rules. Hope he goes out and gets some. Odds are really high OP isn't even real Bougie, just comes from a family of Watanabes.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

greazeball posted:

My sister manages a pharmacy in a smallish town with a regular crew. Her schedule is done remotely by some central person and I can't tell any difference between them and the cokehead fuckwit who did my schedule at McDonald's when I was 15. Totally inconsistent bullshit done at the last minute for two-week intervals plus forgetting/denying holidays and making her find cover on her own every goddamn time.

Can someone explain to me why it doesn't make sense to just repeat the same schedule every pay period? I have never understood this.

edit: saw above re: anti-union. That seems like it would just be shooting yourself in the foot, all your employees would be too frazzled to do their jobs at any level.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Businesses would much prefer you to do a poo poo job than to form a union. You can be replaced when you burn out but extra money spent on stuff can never be replaced.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

vonnegutt posted:

That seems like it would just be shooting yourself in the foot, all your employees would be too frazzled to do their jobs at any level.
Most businesses seem to be bulletproof in terms of profits once they hit a large enough level without unions. They are able to underpay and overwork the staff enough to offset any sudden change in widget prices from their supply chain or w/e. The rest is just massaging the details of each quarter to make shareholders/boards happy, delegating high level payouts, and shifting alliances with long-term trends through tedious power play meetings at golf courses and business lunches.

Like that whole thing in Office Space about how whatshisface only goes "15 minutes of actual work a week" or w/e horseshit? Yeah most jobs really only get a few hours of productivity out of you, but it's better for the company if you're there enough to get psychologically broken and desperate to spend whatever meager income you have on soothing vices.

Keeping schedules a mess just helps with that.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

vonnegutt posted:

Can someone explain to me why it doesn't make sense to just repeat the same schedule every pay period? I have never understood this.

edit: saw above re: anti-union. That seems like it would just be shooting yourself in the foot, all your employees would be too frazzled to do their jobs at any level.

:capitalism:

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
If you've got a business with The poo poo Shift whoever has a schedule of "The poo poo Shift, Every Single Week" WILL quit. If you instead have a roulette wheel of "might have The poo poo Shift this week, might not" they probably won't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Managers want to avoid work just as much as you do and “working on the schedule” is a really good way to just hang out in their office staring at their computer and if it was the same every week they wouldn’t be able to justify that.