Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
In that case might look into a cpu+board combo. How much is a serviceable case+power supply these days?

Amazon deal has the 5800x with a motherboard for $500.

Evrart Claire fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Zerilan posted:

In that case might look into a cpu+board combo. How much is a serviceable case+power supply these days?

Amazon deal has the 5800x with a motherboard for $500.

In my experience pre-made bundles usually aren't a great deal. You can get pretty good B550 boards for $100 or a bit more. Wifi is~$20 extra.

If you do plan on getting a 5800X, this is the cheapest I've seen it outside Micro Center [$315, antonline ebay store]. From what I've heard, including the GPU thread, they're a reputable place.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Doing pc part picker gives me some compatibility issues picking a b550 board for potential bios reasons. Would a new b550 board like have the bios upgrade needed or would be reasonably update able?

Also just kind of made a more general most in the pc build thread since not set on amd, just more it’s the last thing I’ve used and the 5800x seems to be the best thing getting good deals this week.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Zerilan posted:

Doing pc part picker gives me some compatibility issues picking a b550 board for potential bios reasons. Would a new b550 board like have the bios upgrade needed or would be reasonably update able?

Any B550 you get now is very likely to have a 5000-ready BIOS out of the box. But it's not a bad idea to specifically pick a board that has the ability to flash the BIOS without a CPU. (It's handy even if you don't need to use it yourself.)

Asus calls this "BIOS Flashback", Gigabyte calls it "Q-flash Plus", MSI doesn't have a brand name but will say "bios flash button" and most of their boards have it.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
on the one hand, I'm slightly regretting pulling the trigger on a 5600x right before all the 5800s dropped to the same price

on the other hand, this chip fucks, and $300 was still a good price.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

on the one hand, I'm slightly regretting pulling the trigger on a 5600x right before all the 5800s dropped to the same price

on the other hand, this chip fucks, and $300 was still a good price.

the two correct times to buy PC parts:
1. six months in the future
2. six months ago

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I upgraded from a 3900x to 5900x, and also went to an 850w PSU because I went from a 3080 GPU to a 3090. (These upgrades kinda make sense for VR racing, a thing I do like 12 hours a year, and literally nothing else :laugh:)

My motherboard (msi gaming edge wifi) has an "extra" 4-pin power slot next to the CPU which the documentation said is "only needed for EXTREME OVERCLOCKING".

My new old PSU just didn't have an extra cord for it; new one does, so I connected the extra 4 pin when I switched them.

I guess this makes it safer to gently caress around with OC settings? I have not, at all, to date.

edit: more reading makes me think unless I get into something nutty like LN2, nothing I can do with a 5900x is going to push the power draw to where that's needed, so it's kind of a useless feature.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Dec 2, 2021

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yeah, you really won't care about it. Maybe if you wanted to crank the CPU up so hard that you go over 250w power use under load, but no one should do that.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
You're generally not going to get extra "oomph" out of a PSU in terms of OCing an AMD chip. There isn't really much for you to do for an OC these days tbh, other than enabling PBO on your motherboard.

The OCs to be had are in RAM and video cards. On the RAM side, enable XMC or whatever they call it, and remove the power limits on your video card. That's about all there is on the table, unless you want to go ham on fiddly and mysterious ram timings.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
a modest bump on the GPU (like i think i run 105/500) to the core and memory alongside the power bump also can smooth performance a bit so long as your thermal solution is adequate. uses a ton more power tho.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
I also want to say that in any event, buying a new, upgraded PSU was a good purchase. I typically buy ridiculously overpowered PSUs so I don't have to worry about any weird power issues. It's not the type of thing you can point to and demonstrate an obvious benefit, but I believe the benefits are there.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I've been banging on the "min-maxing your PSU is not the right move" drum for a while, Steve from GN is 100% wrong on that one. I'm not saying everyone needs a 2kw PSU, but 750W gold is an absolutely reasonable purchase and you can even make a much more reasonable argument for 1000W/1kw with the way GPUs are currently headed. That still leaves you a lot of headroom for transient spikes and good clean power and even some decrease in performance over time as the PSU ages (because you can easily run a good PSU for 10 years).

Buying 550W because "that's all you need anyway" has turned out to be a disastrous move. Lower-capacity units are often worse quality, and even with a decent unit, running it closer to its capacity increases noise/voltage swings and droops (which I've heard, not 100% sure on, but I've heard that it is harder on the VRMs) and I think that has been one of the contributory elements to some of the problems with RDNA1 units and perhaps a factor in the early Ampere problems as well. Backing down the transient loads by clock-shifting less aggressively is a generic move, but bad power quality / poor onboard power filtering / varying chip quality may all have been underlying factors that were papered over by making the chip a little less aggressive about its power requirements.

Also, I'm a slut for the Super Flower platform. I fell into it accidentally, EVGA G2/T2/P2 and G3 are fantastic PSUs and they used to run a lot of really good deals on them (picked up an EVGA 1300G2 for $160 way back before prices on the beefcake-tier units got nuts, and a couple years ago they had a black friday deal, a 750W G2 for $50 free shipping, limit one per customer) and it's been amazingly convenient having that be my only modular PSU because I can swap cables between any of my units and I have tons of spares available. Nowadays I don't know if I'd buy the EVGA units directly - they do have amazing warranty service/etc but Super Flower has also started selling them directly and if they're significantly cheaper, they're the same units (and afaik do still share cable sets).

Side note though but the EVGA units other than the Super Flower platform (G2/T2/P2 and G3) are not as good - they range between good and bad, but they don't share cables and even the decent ones don't have the insane filtering and surge capabilities of the Super Flower units.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Dec 2, 2021

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I've just been using the fanless Seasonic PSUs. :v:

They only go up to 700w, though.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Do we know who is making EVGA's new compact ATX 1000W P6 units?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Kibner posted:

How does that work? Are external fans recommended?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Freedom Trails posted:

I also want to say that in any event, buying a new, upgraded PSU was a good purchase. I typically buy ridiculously overpowered PSUs so I don't have to worry about any weird power issues. It's not the type of thing you can point to and demonstrate an obvious benefit, but I believe the benefits are there.

I've had 2 friends with bad PSUs that I've fixed. One had bought a pre-built that came with a garbage-tier Cougar POS, the other had a decent Antec that was over 10 years old. Sadly the second guy had his GPU die as well because he waited like 3 weeks to ask me why his PC was randomly powering off.

So heck yes, you can point to a high-quality PSU and demonstrate the obvious benefit "this hasn't killed my poo poo".

Ridiculously overpowered really doesn't have a benefit. Modern PSUs have more or less flat efficiency across the main operating range. So the old "buy twice what you need" thing from 15-20 years ago is totally obsolete now. But it also doesn't have any drawback other than price, and once you're buying the premium stuff there's often not much cost difference for a watt bump.

However, if you are buying a lower tier of quality in order to get more watts, that is a big mistake. Quality first, watts second.

Rinkles posted:

They work by being very, very efficient so they don't generate much heat. And passive convection is enough to deal with it.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 2, 2021

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Regular PSUs can run with the fan switched off up to a certain load percentage, fanless PSUs work the same way but are only rated to run up to that point

A 700W fanless PSU is probably the same design you'd see in something like a 1000-1200W PSU with a fan

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

My rule of thumb with PSUs has been to overshoot by at least 100W over what I expect to need, and it's served me well. The 750W Gold I'm running is probably more like 150W of cushion, but I'd much rather have more than less.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
I thought I went way overboard getting an 850w with a 9900k and 2080, but overclocked and torture tested with prime95 and furmark I was pulling ~730w from the wall.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Kibner posted:

I replaced my 750W Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold with one of their 700W passives because their fans and fan controllers suck butt.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ju_-IlnS4o0

Sininu fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 2, 2021

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Silverstone also sells PSUs based on Seasonics fanless platform and they've usually been cheaper than Seasonic brand whenever I've looked

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Kibner posted:

that's totally fine though, my 3080 + 5900x system with 6 drives under max synthetic loads (Furmark + cinebench) barely cracks 500w consumption going off my UPS.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Gwaihir posted:

Yeah, you really won't care about it. Maybe if you wanted to crank the CPU up so hard that you go over 250w power use under load, but no one should do that.

Yes listen to this guy. The connector is rated to over 300 watts peak.

Cabbages and Kings posted:

My motherboard (msi gaming edge wifi) has an "extra" 4-pin power slot next to the CPU which the documentation said is "only needed for EXTREME OVERCLOCKING".

edit: more reading makes me think unless I get into something nutty like LN2, nothing I can do with a 5900x is going to push the power draw to where that's needed, so it's kind of a useless feature.

Yup :)

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/aschilling/status/1466734515985035267

Expected to announce Ryzen 6000 mobile, Rembrandt H. Zen3(+), Integrated Navi2, DDR5 only.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I replacing the motherboard I installed just last week. Would it be a bad idea to keep the thermal paste? Just asking since it's still fresh and there's quite a bit of it.

If I'm applying a new layer, can I use lens wipes to clean the surfaces?

e:oops wrong CPU thread, though probably doesn't matter

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 4, 2021

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Rinkles posted:

I replacing the motherboard I installed just last week. Would it be a bad idea to keep the thermal paste? Just asking since it's still fresh and there's quite a bit of it.

If I'm applying a new layer, can I use lens wipes to clean the surfaces?

e:oops wrong CPU thread, though probably doesn't matter

Don't forget to apply a thin layer to your balls (or corresponding genitalia), since that's where the performance is stored for Intel platforms. You can use rubbing alcohol to remove paste and start over if needed.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
it's not the end of the world but it's not a great idea, it's best to make sure the surfaces are cleaned and put back together with fresh paste lest any floating hairs or power supply dust get in there.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Just find a good instructional video online.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Paul MaudDib posted:

(because you can easily run a good PSU for 10 years).

This was my Sunday morning, 2 hour power outage finally did in my 11 year old 500W Antec Earthwatts buddy. Luckily I had a spare laying around, modular really is better!

Speaking of new kit, I'm thinking of throwing in the towel and using the newegg system builder or getting a prebuilt - is the 5600X still the way to go for light gaming/occasional audio remixing?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

GoatSeeGuy posted:

This was my Sunday morning, 2 hour power outage finally did in my 11 year old 500W Antec Earthwatts buddy. Luckily I had a spare laying around, modular really is better!

Speaking of new kit, I'm thinking of throwing in the towel and using the newegg system builder or getting a prebuilt - is the 5600X still the way to go for light gaming/occasional audio remixing?

Generally yes. The 5800X is becoming more reasonable when you're talking about a new build since its price has come down a bit at some vendors, all of the 5X00 series are around a year old, and it may provide a little more longevity (maybe?) in 5+ years. It's hard to say for certain that far out since while intel's efficiency/performance cores thing is new it seems good, and DDR5 isn't a huge step up now we can only see the initial offerings and it will get a lot faster and cheaper in a few years. That said, right now, most current games and software run similarly on the 5600X vs 5800X and it's mostly us heavy multitaskers that are going 8 cores or more.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I'm seeing a lot of year end deals on AMD 5600x and 5800x. I am really stuck on if I want to upgrade my 3700x to 5800x. I'm not sure if it's worth it. I could sell the 3700x and maybe take a smaller hit that way. I only use my PC for gaming and MS Office.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
it's a little bump but you're not getting a huge improvement by any means. imo not worth it.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

CoolCab posted:

it's a little bump but you're not getting a huge improvement by any means. imo not worth it.

Thanks. I'll just wait until my performance sucks then. It seems GPUs drive all the performance now and I have a 3080 so I'm set.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

seconded

Kraftwerk posted:

I'm seeing a lot of year end deals on AMD 5600x and 5800x. I am really stuck on if I want to upgrade my 3700x to 5800x.
i kinda wish i hadn't done 3700X → 5800X because the 3700X is so much easier to cool

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

denereal visease posted:

seconded

i kinda wish i hadn't done 3700X → 5800X because the 3700X is so much easier to cool

Set your PPT to 88w or whatever you feel is a reasonable balance. You'll give up some all core boost but not that much and it will be as easy to cool as your 3700x was.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

tried that once and my system rebooted immediately after completing a cinebench loop :lol: good suggestion though!

i found a solution that works for me eventually: nh-d15s "in" a m1

might take it apart and see if i can reposition the fans a bit lower on the heatsink over the holidays

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

That's weird; setting PPT by itself should use the stock v/f curve so I wouldn't expect it to introduce instability unless paired with curve optimizer or undervolt...

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

VorpalFish posted:

That's weird; setting PPT by itself should use the stock v/f curve so I wouldn't expect it to introduce instability unless paired with curve optimizer or undervolt...

I can't speak to anyone else's experience, but I have six machines that are PPT limited to control power usage, and run under full load 24/7. My experience is that setting PPT while letting the CPU handle everything else gets amazing results.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
As long as the system isn't super loud, who cares about the temps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

People who like their stuff to last a long time and people who want to control the amount of heat dumped in to their space I guess?

Not that a 50w difference is a huge amount but :shrug: