Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Thanks for the recommendations guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

tuyop posted:

Just get one of those free IP camera apps imo

Anyone have a recommendation for one of these? I’m not entirely sure I know what you’re referring to.

I have an iPhone and I want to stream its camera to an iPad in real time. Locally if possible

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Also, I do think it’s worth mentioning as far as my recommendation goes: If she said she wants something to connect to her phone that can track her fitness and steps etc. I would very much recommend the Fitbit over the Wyze Watch. Very much so.

If she said she specifically wants a smartwatch like the Apple Watch or Galaxy Gear Watch series, but only really cares for the fitness stuff on it, then I’d do the Wyze Watch just off of sheer price.

I’m mostly bringing this up because I feel like, personally, I’d be a little salty if I asked for a fitness tracker specifically and got a Wyze Watch instead.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I am looking for the cheapest wearable to just track my heart rate all day in the iOS health app for a dumb project of mine. An Apple Watch is very expensive.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Fitbit or Garmin if you don't want/need an Apple Watch and actually care about the quality of tracking.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

jokes posted:

I am looking for the cheapest wearable to just track my heart rate all day in the iOS health app for a dumb project of mine. An Apple Watch is very expensive.

Someone just posted this exact question on the last page, freaky.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

FCKGW posted:

Someone just posted this exact question on the last page, freaky.

I read it and thought the compatibility with the iPhone 7 would mean it’s a different recommendation, but it appears that doesn’t really affect anything. Sorry for the kinda-double-post!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

namlosh posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for one of these? I’m not entirely sure I know what you’re referring to.

I have an iPhone and I want to stream its camera to an iPad in real time. Locally if possible

I’ve used IPCamera to watch my cat on the balcony. Worked fine, has some configuration options in the viewer and the camera. You turn it on and it starts a camera server on the LAN and tells you the ip to go to. You type that into the browser on your client device and view the camera.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Question Mark Mound posted:

Yeesh, here's hoping I don't have a miserable experience then! I don't have a Mac but maybe syncing via iTunes on my PC may be the way for me to get started.

I was adding some music to my library yesterday and experienced the duplicate song issue, but this time it was my fault. Still should be something you shouldn't be able to do though.

I had an existing mp3 album in my library that it matched and placed in the online library.
I was adding some other albums I didn't have from the same artist and accidently hit add on the album I already had.

Did this again:
1) Song 1
2) Song 1
3) Song 2
4) Song 2

It would be nice if Apple Music was smart enough to at least ask when you're trying to add an album by the same artist with the same title and tracks that have identical times as an existing album.

Edit: Referred to Apple Music as iTunes being stuck in my ways.

Turmoil fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Dec 5, 2021

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

tuyop posted:

I’ve used IPCamera to watch my cat on the balcony. Worked fine, has some configuration options in the viewer and the camera. You turn it on and it starts a camera server on the LAN and tells you the ip to go to. You type that into the browser on your client device and view the camera.

Thanks very much! Looks great

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Turmoil posted:

I was adding some music to my library yesterday and experienced the duplicate song issue, but this time it was my fault. Still should be something you shouldn't be able to do though.

I had an existing mp3 album in my library that it matched and placed in the online library.
I was adding some other albums I didn't have from the same artist and accidently hit add on the album I already had.

Did this again:
1) Song 1
2) Song 1
3) Song 2
4) Song 2

It would be nice if iTunes was smart enough to at least ask when you're trying to add an album by the same artist with the same title and tracks that have identical times as an existing album.

Have you considered that the solution is to use Apple music? Because they have and that's all the fix they'll ever offer.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Have you considered that the solution is to use Apple music? Because they have and that's all the fix they'll ever offer.

It was Apple music. Still habit to refer to it as iTunes.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

xzzy posted:

Or it's one of those those lovely AP's that intercept all SSL traffic to inject their own cert to break basically everything.
Are there enterprise firewalls that do the same kind of poo poo? I keep getting certification errors on random sites. At work they use Forcepoint Websense. If they gently caress around with the certificate, they can read traffic, too, can't they?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Combat Pretzel posted:

Are there enterprise firewalls that do the same kind of poo poo? I keep getting certification errors on random sites. At work they use Forcepoint Websense. If they gently caress around with the certificate, they can read traffic, too, can't they?

Yes, yes, and yes.

Causes us no end of trouble with trying to update python packages and other things.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

Mind_Taker posted:

I haven’t ever had the need to move my SIM card to a new phone before so apologies if this is a dumb question.

I’m expecting to get my new iPhone 13 tomorrow, directly from Apple. Currently I have an AT&T Prepaid plan and am happy with it. When my new phone comes will activating the cellular service on the new phone be as simple as moving the SIM card from my old phone (iPhone 6 lol) to the iPhone 13?

Or is this something where I will need to go to the AT&T store and have them activate it? The AT&T website is unclear about what I need to do.

I'm considering making the same move (6 -> 13) and I have AT&T Prepaid. Can you post an update, how did your upgrade go? Was it a smooth transition with AT&T prepaid?
Thanks

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

If you bought an AT&T phone (through apple): The new phone/sim should automatically activate and become your SIM card when you turn on the phone and start the setup process. If you bought sim-free then yes it’s as easy as just swapping the SIM card to the new phone and going through the setup/restore.

Edit: oh wait you said AT&T prepaid. Yeah just swapping the SIM card should do it, no need to go to a store or anything.

Happy Pizza Guy
Jun 24, 2004

"Yeah, it was incredible, the drugs, the sex, the all-night parties. I really miss that Shining Time Station."
Grimey Drawer

Maneki Neko posted:

That should be fine as long as work is not expecting you to fully manage your device via MDM or something like that.

Very good point about going dual sim with a work phone’s SIM card in a personal phone.

Does anyone know how this would work? Is there any danger to putting my work SIM in my personal phone and seeing what happens? I’d hate to lock my device up in corporate MDM by accident.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Happy Pizza Guy posted:

Very good point about going dual sim with a work phone’s SIM card in a personal phone.

Does anyone know how this would work? Is there any danger to putting my work SIM in my personal phone and seeing what happens? I’d hate to lock my device up in corporate MDM by accident.

As far as I know MDM goes by the hardware device itself (think serial number) and not a SIM.

That said depending on how the MDM is configured, the device may need to be enrolled in your work's MDM in order to access work resources or for certain apps to work. For example they may have it configured so the device must be managed in order for Outlook to function. There's a lot of other settings they may require but the bottom line is I would never want my personal device managed by work. I'd never put my work phone SIM in a personal device and vice versa. Keep your work and personal life separate as much as possible if you ask me.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

For the iPhone owner who games and has everything else:

https://www.razer.com/mobile-accessories/razer-phone-cooler-chroma/RC21-01790100-R3M1

For $60 you can cool down your iPhone whilst playing stuff like Call of Duty, PUBG, X-Plane, etc.

It doesn't have onboard power so it has to be powered with a USB-C cable hooked up to an appropriate power source..

Seems wacky to me but they also have an Android version without the magnets.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

For the iPhone owner who games and has everything else:

https://www.razer.com/mobile-accessories/razer-phone-cooler-chroma/RC21-01790100-R3M1

For $60 you can cool down your iPhone whilst playing stuff like Call of Duty, PUBG, X-Plane, etc.

It doesn't have onboard power so it has to be powered with a USB-C cable hooked up to an appropriate power source..

Seems wacky to me but they also have an Android version without the magnets.

It’s mag safe so it should charge the phone as well.

It’s not the dumbest idea tbh when the phone gets hot it gets fuckin hot and the throttle is real.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I'm not so sure the MagSafe compatibility means it can charge, I don't see anything else on the spec sheets or any other news about that thing that tells me it does Qi anything.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

MagSafe compatible just means it’ll stick to the back.

You can get car air-vent mounts that are MagSafe and they aren’t gonna charge poo poo.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
From a perverse perspective it makes sense for it not to charge, since wireless charging generates a lot of heat that you don't want.

It's also hilarious that to game at the highest level you need to plug one USB-C cable into this fan thing and then a lightning cable into your phone.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
I put my Xr into a clear plastic tub with my keys so I could float the river and listen to music with my BT headphones and not worry about it falling in and sinking. The sun must have hit it for a while and it turned off after an hour.

It's good that it has a temp sensor that keeps it from self-destructing.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I have App Store set to auto update. Is there any way to check update history?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
There is an “updated recently” list below the “upcoming updates” list.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

withak posted:

There is an “updated recently” list below the “upcoming updates” list.

Oh! I swear I’ve never seen that entire section before now

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
E: wrong thread

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Inner Light posted:

It’s an infrared LED dot projector, no laser involved, just to be pedantic.

Even more pedantic, they are technically projected with lasers https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208108

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
My phone has suddenly started giving me calendar reminders for birthdays a couple days early, but it clearly has “On day of event” selected in Calendar settings. Any ideas on how to force it to actually pay attention to my settings selection?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

MrBond posted:

Even more pedantic, they are technically projected with lasers https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208108

I should have known, I was totally wrong!! Thanks for the correction, very cool.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Is it possible to turn off the thing where Siri listens for a reply after announcing a message on my AirPods? I still want it to read the message to me I just don’t want it to listen for a reply.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
In the past, if your screen dimmed from being idle but before it auto-locked, I believe it used to be that if you tapped or swiped it would instantly re-brighten and respond to your touch or swipe. At some point I think they changed this so now a first touch to "wake" the screen is required before it will respond to your taps and swipes. Is there a way to change this?

I know there is the "attention aware" feature to keep the screen from dimming, but I'm talking about when I set the phone down or look away for a few seconds.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Holy poo poo, if you move your phone around while having the Apple Card or Apple Cash card selected in Wallet they mimic light reflecting on the logos (Apple Card) or a holographic color change effect (Apple Cash)

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

I have given several devices to family members (watch, phone, laptop etc) and want to keep covering the AppleCare+ fees on them myself. Is there any centralized way to keep up to date on that? I can check them all individually using the serial numbers but it would be great to see them all in one place. Seems like that might require signing into all the devices with my single AppleID which is not really feasible with my remote family members without giving them my password. I could change it temporarily but not even sure if iOS etc can handle multiple logins well.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Don’t know where else to ask this but why does the calendar widget in Mail.app think my home address is something other than what’s in my contact card? Where does that pull from?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

tuyop posted:

Don’t know where else to ask this but why does the calendar widget in Mail.app think my home address is something other than what’s in my contact card? Where does that pull from?

You are asking a tough question. Mine doesn’t even work half the time.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Text notifications being an rear end for anyone else on latest non-beta? Usually I moan about the dings, but half the time now I’m not getting them and it’s annoying if I’m reading SA or whatever and not seeing texts come in.

E: so I held the pin just out of gut feeling and it gave me the option to ‘show alerts’ which… yeah, that would be nice. Especially given I’ve never muted that chat or anything, and I certainly didn’t see any indication there was muting with an icon or something. Let’s hope it fixes it at least but jeez.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Dec 11, 2021

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

sadus posted:

I have given several devices to family members (watch, phone, laptop etc) and want to keep covering the AppleCare+ fees on them myself. Is there any centralized way to keep up to date on that? I can check them all individually using the serial numbers but it would be great to see them all in one place. Seems like that might require signing into all the devices with my single AppleID which is not really feasible with my remote family members without giving them my password. I could change it temporarily but not even sure if iOS etc can handle multiple logins well.

Other than signing into your Apple ID on all of those devices, not really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

One of the pins on my most commonly used charging lightning cable is black, I’ve seen that mentioned before as pretty normal, I assume phone is fine?

Wheeee fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Dec 12, 2021