Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Rah! posted:

finmans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

just a coconut going for a stroll

Here's a 2 hour interview with Nick Cook on Forum Borealis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KERjykHZd0

I like Forum Borealis because you can tell the host is vaping throughout his interviews, and he likes to cover a lot of esoterica / alt-history topics.

If you want to get deep on Nazi Bell style mythos, youve gotta watch some Joseph Farrell interviews:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24r53fbq3C0

Farrell has real strong "ex jesuit scholar" energy, the kind of reclusive uncle you have who builds model reenactments of WWII battles in his basement in between self-publishing books on alchemy and sacred geometry.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

woooooo the lovely fashy space ladies of VRIL finally join the thread

That Spooky Witch
Jun 16, 2017

All hail the triune god
this post is actually entirely made of microplastics

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Slavvy posted:

I've had my loyal men and women blow away thousands of the little fucks, I think I can handle one myself. Just hide behind a chair until they exhaust their psychic blast bullshit.

I find the fact that they put such enormous amounts of resources into a thing that does nothing for 99.99% of the population much more interesting than the mere mechanism of stacking blocks of rock. They get compared to the great cathedrals, or south American ziggurats or whatever but it isn't the same, all those other marvels are for something. The idea of an generational state project toiled on by an army of peasants JUST for one dude's vanity crypt is, to me, the part that's most difficult to believe.

it's not clear that the pyramids were simply vanity crypts. we know little to nothing about a lot of practical aspects of ancient egyptian theology; it's entirely possible they were sites of worship akin to a cathedral, with the worshippers doing their business around the exterior rather than inside. besides, it's really a reasonable deal for the peasants in question - you get food and beer during the season where you can't grow poo poo along the nile in exchange for stacking some rocks, what could be better? to some extent ancient egyptian society simply required public work projects to be continually ongoing to give people a means of support during the off-season, might as well use all that labor for your vanity crypt if you can swing it

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Rickshaw posted:

I'm a panpsychist most evenings.

yea I already had no interest in that book since that’s more or less exactly what I expected it to be

gimme the unfalsifiable woo, these dumbass garage engineer grifters aren’t interesting

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

pyramids were just ancient world jobs programs

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o99iSq5RPgM

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

This
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwWv-T4rM0k

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Rah! posted:

finmans

sasketchewananians

this thread is very credulous

both sound like 70s Dr. Who villains

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Slavvy posted:

I find the fact that they put such enormous amounts of resources into a thing that does nothing for 99.99% of the population much more interesting than the mere mechanism of stacking blocks of rock. They get compared to the great cathedrals, or south American ziggurats or whatever but it isn't the same, all those other marvels are for something. The idea of an generational state project toiled on by an army of peasants JUST for one dude's vanity crypt is, to me, the part that's most difficult to believe.

I don't think aliens built the pyramids or whatever but there is some fuckery with the accepted dogma. The great pyramid at giza is said to have been constructed in just 20 years. It has 2.3 million limestone blocks weighing an average of 2.5 tons each. That is one block every 4 minutes. That's just outright bullshit. That would require aliens or anti-grav or whatever, of course it is much more likely they are just wrong, but egyptologists are some fuckers and refuse to consider anything other than what they've already claimed to be the case.

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

https://twitter.com/ddeanjohnson/status/1468292716790530048?s=21

https://twitter.com/bryandbender/status/1468298854252441606?s=21

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

pentagon aitee

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Pretty sure they'll find a way to obfuscate some more. I think they have lots of practice.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

my bony fealty posted:

pentagon aitee

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

look at these credulous idiots, have they even heard of mick west??

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/MattShipmanVO/status/1468281945050296328?t=b5MlX9CtLc9-3ZU4jLaqSg&s=19

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Vernii posted:

It'd be interesting if the Great Filter turns out to be that FTL is actually really easy but absurdly dangerous to use. Like I imagine Real Bad Things would happen to a planet interacting with an Alcubierre field's space-time distortion.

https://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.1067.7010&rep=rep1&type=pdf

quote:

These results suggest that any ship using an Alcu-
bierre warp drive carrying people would need shielding
to protect them from potential dangerously blueshifted
particles during the journey, and any people at the des-
tination would be gamma ray and high energy particle
blasted into oblivion due to the extreme blueshifts for
P+ region particles.

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

sorry i dont know why the first tweet shows up twice

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

obfuscate what

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I hope the insane evangelical faction finally reluctantly agrees to disclosure, with the tradeoff that its framed as et is literally demons

rip and tear!!

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

well, indeed!!!

my bony fealty posted:

I hope the insane evangelical faction finally reluctantly agrees to disclosure, with the tradeoff that its framed as et is literally demons

rip and tear!!

I am ready

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Pounds on the table shouting Webb Webb Webb

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

here u go

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/855537265241096213/917584469320425492/spiritguides_meme.mp4

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

blessed

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

my bony fealty posted:

rip and tear!!

I mean interdimensional non corporeal entities that can inhabit a body and perform apparently supernatural acts... Wouldn't that be a demon?

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I’ve been inside the Great Pyramid, and when I made it to the “King’s Chamber” (lol) there was a group of hippies/cult members in the corner, lotus positions, humming and chanting.

It’s a small room without cameras or guards and we honestly contemplated strangling them.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Riot Bimbo posted:

I mean interdimensional non corporeal entities that can inhabit a body and perform apparently supernatural acts... Wouldn't that be a demon?

I dunno, depends if they're dicks or not?

I dunno??

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Barry Foster posted:

I dunno, depends if they're dicks or not?

I dunno??

I do; if aliens are confirmed on those lines everyone should read "demon" and react appropriately (intense prayer and submission to God)

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Riot Bimbo posted:

I do; if aliens are confirmed on those lines everyone should read "demon" and react appropriately (intense prayer and submission to God)

(fairly serious) question - if I don't believe in God (in the sense of a personified, singular diety), what do? am I hosed?

Like, would it help if I pray to myself? To Buddha Nature? To the Source of all Things, whatever that is? Is there a right or wrong way? What're the boundaries, I guess?

Honestly I don't want this to come across as Dorkins-y, I'm just honestly really interested in your perspective/experiences

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Pray to me.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

You look kinda frightening, so I'm gonna respectfully decline

Hope that's ok with you though!

I mean no offence!

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I'm incredibly offended.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
I feel like the obvious answer is to pray to Ra

be like "Ra my dog I submit to you, can I see some aliens? that would be pretty cool. anyway check ya later"

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Barry Foster posted:

(fairly serious) question - if I don't believe in God (in the sense of a personified, singular diety), what do? am I hosed?

Like, would it help if I pray to myself? To Buddha Nature? To the Source of all Things, whatever that is? Is there a right or wrong way? What're the boundaries, I guess?

Honestly I don't want this to come across as Dorkins-y, I'm just honestly really interested in your perspective/experiences

Pray to the highest God and be humble

Make no demands. Set no expectations. Ask for revelation and have your heart and mind open and listening for answers

Riot Bimbo has issued a correction as of 01:31 on Dec 8, 2021

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Riot Bimbo posted:

Pray to the highest God and be humble

Make no demands. Set no expectations. Ask for revelation and have your heart and mind open and listening for answers

But, like, what if there is only one universal consciousness, or some poo poo? Would that work out?

I guess what I'm saying is I bristle at the idea of submission to another discrete entity, so to speak

valp
Aug 31, 2018

Barry Foster posted:

The supernatural world operates on the idea of consent.

Vampires can't get into your house unless you invite them. Ghosts only haunt specific locations and Bigfoot stays in the wilderness. People who mess around with the dead see ghosts, people who mess around with demons are bothered by demons, people obsessed with aliens see aliens. Lots of the craziest UFO stories feature the person voluntarily choosing to approach the UFO rather than run away; this is giving consent. Everyone says don't make a deal with the devil; implicit in this idea is that he REQUIRES your consent or else he can't do much. Everything supernatural is a two-way street.

Telling them to leave in the name of Jesus, or invoking your own power, or buddah, or telling them to leave in the name of The Demilich, or just turning and running like hell... all the same thing, you're revoking consent. Have full and absolute confidence that your consent is meaningful, that your autonomy matters. "Mind is All, The Universe is Mental", your own mental beliefs are real and have a tangible impact in the supernatural world. The more confident you are in your own ability to give or withdraw consent, the more you will be able to control what happens. Don't ask; demand.

Note that supernatural beings have different ideas of consent than we do; a lifetime of drug use counts as consent for being possessed, reading about aliens and believing in them counts as consent for being able to see them, and so on. And purely physical beings can ignore this consent issue because they're physical.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Pontificating rear end posted:

I feel like the obvious answer is to pray to Ra

be like "Ra my dog I submit to you, can I see some aliens? that would be pretty cool. anyway check ya later"

do you even stargate? ra's a dick. pray to thor. *SUPREME* commander thor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

valp posted:

The supernatural world operates on the idea of consent.

Vampires can't get into your house unless you invite them. Ghosts only haunt specific locations and Bigfoot stays in the wilderness. People who mess around with the dead see ghosts, people who mess around with demons are bothered by demons, people obsessed with aliens see aliens. Lots of the craziest UFO stories feature the person voluntarily choosing to approach the UFO rather than run away; this is giving consent. Everyone says don't make a deal with the devil; implicit in this idea is that he REQUIRES your consent or else he can't do much. Everything supernatural is a two-way street.

Telling them to leave in the name of Jesus, or invoking your own power, or buddah, or telling them to leave in the name of The Demilich, or just turning and running like hell... all the same thing, you're revoking consent. Have full and absolute confidence that your consent is meaningful, that your autonomy matters. "Mind is All, The Universe is Mental", your own mental beliefs are real and have a tangible impact in the supernatural world. The more confident you are in your own ability to give or withdraw consent, the more you will be able to control what happens. Don't ask; demand.

Note that supernatural beings have different ideas of consent than we do; a lifetime of drug use counts as consent for being possessed, reading about aliens and believing in them counts as consent for being able to see them, and so on. And purely physical beings can ignore this consent issue because they're physical.

Interesting

Puts me in mind of this, although this is, I guess, giving consent? But not really, it's more like refusing to consent to being afraid or intimidated
https://www.vice.com/en/article/9kwyp7/i-smoked-dmt-600-times-in-three-years

Hyper-DMT user says that after many trips he faced up to a difficult experience on DMT but found it in himself to say "go on then, if you're going to kill me, then fuckin' kill me twice"

E I couldn't access this before, but here's the quote

quote:

It's been seven months since my last experiment. I feel that I'm still changed. There was one experience when I was outside and the wind was really blowing, and I was struggling to maintain my composure and keep things from turning negative. Then this image flashed up in my mind, and I won't tell you what that was, but it left me with a sense that the highest aspect of humanity is positivity in the face of any adversity. The experience changed immediately. I thought, 'Blow as hard as you like. You're going to kill me? Kill me two times.'

That had a huge influence over me. Of all the DMT experiences I had, that wasn't fantastic, but it hit me deeply. I don't think it's something you need to keep taking to maintain that change. I feel as though that change can last a lifetime.

Barry Foster has issued a correction as of 02:00 on Dec 8, 2021