Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Eric Cantonese posted:

You guys got me curious so I looked up a clip of the Netflix show. The guy they hired to be Danny Rand reminds me of Danny Masterson from That 70s Show (I admittedly might be racist) and that's not a good thing.

https://streamable.com/cmctg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I'm watching Veep for the first time (after this thread correctly assured me the politics isn't West Wing-esque) and this scene where Selina and Gary fight is incredibly well-acted. the show got 'real' for about two minutes and it was intense as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N9J7tELsP4

in general, I'm glad this show has enough balls to be relentlessly cynical

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Jesus fuckling Christ why are there a thousand cuts

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Jesus fuckling Christ why are there a thousand cuts

to hide the lack of skill

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAT4oMEI5fw

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
drat that's a p good tucker analog

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Eric Cantonese posted:

Pop culture barely cares about people older than 25 now and the feeling is mutual.

?

It feels to me more like people younger than 25 have been pretty much excluded from mainstream pop culture at this point and have more or less developed their own alternate culture based off the internet and foreign media

like kpop and anime seem a hell of a lot more popular among that demographic than American movies and tv

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

pure dogshit

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
When I heard "smith is a mindhunter now."

I thought: Kevin smith is in a ghost hunting show now? Modern day rear end renaissance man.

Casey Finnigan posted:

?

It feels to me more like people younger than 25 have been pretty much excluded from mainstream pop culture at this point and have more or less developed their own alternate culture based off the internet and foreign media

like kpop and anime seem a hell of a lot more popular among that demographic than American movies and tv

It feels like we keep rebooting the 1980's

The strange New wave 80's
You have the sleek cyberpunk 80's,
That wood panel bad taste from the 70's ish 80's,
The geometric shapes randomly scattered 90's ish 80's
The Dirty Punk street 80's

Early 90's feel really "Western Revival for me."

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 19:33 on Dec 7, 2021

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Thanks to capitalism we will have MCU movies and reboots till the end of time.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Excited for the Captain America reboot 20 years down the line.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Casey Finnigan posted:

?

i think he is mainly referring to movies. now with the pandemic, under 25s are the most eager to get sick and go to the movies - and not like before, i mean by far. if you make a movie for older folks, that poo poo is bombing

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I'm watching Veep for the first time (after this thread correctly assured me the politics isn't West Wing-esque) and this scene where Selina and Gary fight is incredibly well-acted. the show got 'real' for about two minutes and it was intense as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N9J7tELsP4

in general, I'm glad this show has enough balls to be relentlessly cynical

Good catch, this is maybe my favorite scene in the series. I love veep so much

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

When I heard "smith is a mindhunter now."

I thought: Kevin smith is in a ghost hunting show now? Modern day clit/brown/taint-area renaissance man.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Kevin smith, "My wife said it's okay for me eat out a ghost's pussy if I find one."

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

AnimeIsTrash posted:

20 years apart

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Casey Finnigan posted:

?

For me, I feel like every movie franchise reboot and comic book movie is for chasing youth. Tapping into old creative properties to get newer and younger viewers. I don't think older people really want to watch rehashes since it makes us feel, you know, old. That's also why every single semi-violent movie with a sizeable budget is now capped at PG-13. You need younger people to make money.

Pop music (at least in terms of radio airplay and streaming) has also always been about youth because older adults just can't spend that much time following or spending money on new music anymore.

I don't watch much network tv, but I can't imagine that it's really turned into channel after channel of Lawrence Welk, has it?

For the next 15 years or so, I think the vast majority of the money my friends and I are spending on popular entertainment is going to be for whatever our kids like.

Eric Cantonese has issued a correction as of 21:46 on Dec 7, 2021

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Paramount TV is entirely based around catering to over 65s with the Yellowstone expanded universe

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Atrocious Joe posted:

Paramount TV is entirely based around catering to over 65s with the Yellowstone expanded universe

What's that?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Yellowstone is literally the most watched show on US cable
https://twitter.com/ParamountNetPR/status/1276614145312305153?s=20
https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1457868787252932609?s=20

It's getting multiple spinoffs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qps9IS0msy8

Serf
May 5, 2011

my parents are obsessed with yellowstone. its game of thrones for old people

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

never heard of this

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lmfao my dad loves yellowstone and he's the only person i've ever heard mention it

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

MLSM posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tqzzy45-_g

Smith is the Mindhunter guy now lol

Looks pretty cool hope it's not complete shite

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

i say swears online posted:

lmfao my dad loves yellowstone and he's the only person i've ever heard mention it

It sounds like a very manly soap opera with a lot of attractive white people.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

AnimeIsTrash posted:

we've had 3? spider-man reboots in 2 decades

and my aunts and uncles won't shut up about how great yellowstone is

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Serf posted:

my parents are obsessed with yellowstone. its game of thrones for old people

yes my dad won't shut the gently caress up about this show and Kevin Costner.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Speaking of boomer TV, I'm a little embarrassed to admit I watched all the seasons of Longmire. I'm interested in the region and culture of Wyoming, and the show does a good job exploring it. For example, the treatment of Native American women is a big issue and how jurisdiction limits the way crimes (such as domestic violence) that took place on reservations can be investigated.

It is still a police procedural show, which, lol, not my cup of tea either. I give the series a 'B' overall.

post-menopausal women are definitely thirsty for rugged country men 'too deep' to own cell phones

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Movie article of the year:

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/music/a31675518/fiona-apple-quit-cocaine-quentin-tarantino-paul-thomoas-anderson/

quote:

Fiona Apple Quit Cocaine After An 'Excruciating' Night With Quentin Tarantino and Paul Thomas Anderson
The singer said every addict should be locked in a private movie theater with these two filmmakers
Whups, from right before the pandemic and I missed it.

Remulak has issued a correction as of 22:45 on Dec 7, 2021

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
quentin tarantino makes pretty good movies but he's honestly a disgusting little twerp

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

huh, never heard of it. Taylor Sheridan is p. cool tho, really liked Hell or High Water

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

this is so comforting knowing that I'm not the only person who is a full rear end adult that doesn't know anything about Yellowstone except for what their parents tell them.

bless you all.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Casey Finnigan posted:

quentin tarantino makes pretty good movies but he's honestly a disgusting little twerp
making good movies is better than making bad movies and not being a disgusting dweeb

tho i didn't think once upon a time in hollywood was very good and came off a little too forrest gumpian boomer nostalgic. also the ending sucked

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

this is so comforting knowing that I'm not the only person who is a full rear end adult that doesn't know anything about Yellowstone except for what their parents tell them.

bless you all.

ive never heard of it before until now. either that or i thought ppl would have been referring to the national park itself

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
is it about the remnants of humanity trying to survive after the supercaldera pops, i'd watch that. no? it's just some dumb cowboys? gently caress that.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Xaris posted:

making good movies is better than making bad movies and not being a disgusting dweeb

tho i didn't think once upon a time in hollywood was very good and came off a little too forrest gumpian boomer nostalgic. also the ending sucked

i will essentially never watch a Hollywood movie about Hollywood so I didn't see once upon a time in hollywood.

honestly all I know about it is that tarantino apparently got weirdly obsessed with the idea that bruce lee was not that tough and that brad pitt could beat him up

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
There was a bunch of those old folks on horse shows a few years ago? Brraking bad fad.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
lol from the wikipedia article about once upon a time in hollywood:

quote:

After being contacted over concerns, Tarantino invited a representative of Roman Polanski, Sharon Tate's widower, over to his house to read the script and report back to Polanski, to assure him "he didn't have anything to worry about". Tarantino stated: "When it comes to Polanski, we're talking about a tragedy that would be unfathomable for most human beings," and that he did not contact him while writing it, as he did not want to cause him anxiety.

god I fuckin hate the us film industry. why is everyone worried about being sensitive to the pedophile. bro he's literally exiled from america for drugging and raping a child

Casey Finnigan has issued a correction as of 23:23 on Dec 7, 2021

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
How bad was the Sharon Tate stuff in the movie? All offscreen or...what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

DesertIslandHermit posted:

How bad was the Sharon Tate stuff in the movie? All offscreen or...what?

nobody tell them