Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Atrocious Joe posted:

AMLO helped Evo escape the coup in Bolivia, refused to recognize Guaido as President of Venezuela, and got Latin American countries to attend a conference that included Cuba in the middle of a new US pressure campaign against the island. Even though he didn't go along with these US schemes, both Trump and Biden seem to have pretty warm relations with him.

He honestly seems pretty good at negotiating at the international level.

He also didn't make a huge deal of how the plane he sent to pick-up Evo was probably under fire from Bolivian forces. You know, just the little kind of incident that could start a war.

https://orinocotribune.com/anez-coup-plotters-tried-to-shoot-down-evo-morales-plane-heading-to-mexico-amlo/

quote:

“During the initial ascent, the pilot managed to observe, from the left side of the cockpit, and when he reached almost 1,500 feet above the ground, a light trail similar to the characteristic of a rocket at the seven o’clock position (from the back, and to the left, of the plane’s trajectory) below the horizon,” stated the official document. “The pilot estimates that… the point from which it was launched could have been in the vicinity of the Cochabamba airport.”

The document states that, from the time they were at the airport terminal, a unit of the Bolivian armed forces had permanently pointed an RPG rocket launcher at the aircraft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

holy poo poo

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

god loving drat it evo escaped under fire?!?!?!

holy loving poo poo, what a loving badass

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

If you grade AMLO on a curve with all other living Mexican presidents he's loving sick as Hell

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

If you grade AMLO on a curve with all other living Mexican presidents he's loving sick as Hell

juarez, madero and cardenas were mostly cool iirc

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

i say swears online posted:

juarez, madero and cardenas were mostly cool iirc

The impressions I get from my admittedly rather shallow knowledge of Mexican history:

Juárez gets a lot of well-deserved recognition for his resistance against the French, but his liberal reforms did strip indigenous communities of their communal land and pave the way for the heightened economic inequalities of the Porfiriato.

Madero was well-meaning but inept, the Ten Tragic Days being largely the result of him trying to play nice with the deposed Porfirian establishment. In the end he was a better martyr than president. Possibly the least bad ruler during the Revolution, though.

Cárdenas was legit the only capital-G Good™ Mexican president of the 20th century, but he was instrumental in consolidating the PRI into the abomination it became so 🤷‍♂️

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Atrocious Joe posted:

AMLO helped Evo escape the coup in Bolivia, refused to recognize Guaido as President of Venezuela, and got Latin American countries to attend a conference that included Cuba in the middle of a new US pressure campaign against the island. Even though he didn't go along with these US schemes, both Trump and Biden seem to have pretty warm relations with him.

He honestly seems pretty good at negotiating at the international level.

yeah internationally its been all bangers

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Kal-L posted:

He also didn't make a huge deal of how the plane he sent to pick-up Evo was probably under fire from Bolivian forces. You know, just the little kind of incident that could start a war.

https://orinocotribune.com/anez-coup-plotters-tried-to-shoot-down-evo-morales-plane-heading-to-mexico-amlo/

God drat that’s some movie poo poo

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

can't imagine a US president pulling this off

https://twitter.com/PopulismUpdates/status/1466491059089727492

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

drat i bet that was a cool crowd to hit the bars with after

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

seems like a disturbing wave of populism. makes u think maybe the democratic institutions are under threat. we should do the democracy affirming thing and pick some random guy and say we think he's the president now

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://peoplesdispatch.org/2021/12/01/chiles-far-right-candidate-tours-the-us/

quote:

Chile’s far-right candidate tours the US
Kast’s agenda includes meetings with businessmen and conservative organizations based in the United States

December 01, 2021 by Brasil de Fato

José Antonio Kast, the far right-wing candidate who is in the second round of the Chilean presidential elections, is touring the United States this week. According to the Chilean press, the politician, who is a defender of dictator Augusto Pinochet, seeks to “dispel concerns” that he is an “extremist”.

Kast embarked for the United States on Monday November 29 and has already had a meeting with Republican Senator Marco Rubio, a congressman allied with former President Donald Trump and a declared enemy of the governments of Venezuela and Cuba. Rubio is an advocate of gun ownership and advocates against legislation which permits abortion and same-sex marriage.

“We discussed several topics of international interest and it was very interesting when thinking about the future of Chile,” Kast said after the meeting with Rubio.

The candidate, who has already been called the “Chilean Bolsonaro,” also had activities planned at the conservative organizations the Inter-American Dialogue and the Council Of Americas.

In 2017, then federal deputy and presidential candidate Jair Bolsonaro also toured the United States and had meetings with businessmen and one at the Council of the Americas.

Chilean digital newspaper El Mostrador revealed that Kast had lunch in Washington DC with several business leaders. The meeting was attended by María Paulina Uribe, marketing manager at PepsiCo, Joel Velasco, vice president of UnitedHealth Group, and Isa Kort, former Chilean representative to the Organization of American States (OAS).

UnitedHealth Group is a healthcare conglomerate with presence in Chile, Peru, and Colombia. The business group controls 13 hospitals and 143 medical centers.

Despite winning more votes in the first round, Kast, according to the first electoral polls, is behind leftist candidate Gabriel Boric. The second round of its presidential elections in Chile is on December 19.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Yeah people are assuming the main reason behind the trip was to actually meet with Franco Parisi, the libertarian-populist candidate who spent the entire campaign trail in Alabama since he had a court order waiting for him in Chile due to unpaid child support, but still managed to get 12%. Recent polls suggest his voters are nowhere near as safe a bag of votes for Kast as initially thought (in fact some of the voter breakdowns suggest most Parisi voters would go to Boric), but Parisi supporters are more likely than other voters to just go for whoever Parisi tells them to, so a Parisi endorsement could be big.
Kast has been lagging in runoff polls, but he might surge in the home stretch. The ghouls he left back home in charge of his campaign while he went off to polish the American right's knob have been giving one moronic statement after another, and they struggled with even securing Sichel's (center-right, Piñera's candidate) endorsement - Sichel issued a 9-point list of requirements ("please promise you'll stay in the UN, please promise you'll respect human rights, please say climate change is real", etc) and Kast's campaign heads were alternatively like "lmao gently caress no" and "uhhh that's already in our program, you just need to squint really hard". Sichel eventually just went and endorsed Kast regardless, because of course, but it still harmed Kast's image with moderates, particularly when Boric has been doing a passably good job of reaching out to the center in the meantime.

Either way, both Kast and Boric have agreed to appear on Parisi's zoom cast ("BAD BOYS: LOS QUE INCOMODAN A LA ELITE", because of course that's the loving name) so that's gonna be a loving mess one way or the other.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

i wonder if he met with these sickos

https://twitter.com/davidrkadler/status/1466521499607568384?s=21

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
Also remember Kast is literally the son of a Nazi officer who emigrated to Chile in 1950, and his brother was Minister of State for Pinochet.

Strangely, the English version of Wikipedia just says his father was a conscripted Nazi soldier who emigrated, while the Spanish version mentions how he was affiliated with the Nazi party and escaped being tried for war crimes.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Oh, Chile has its own "uma escolha difícil" piece of jornalistic false equivalency to refer to now, dope.

My impressions of AMLO are that he is a Lula-style figure: not awesome if you are actually a leftist wishing for sweeping reforms to the system but honestly pretty good if you are grading on a curve. Mexico had a less than ideal response to COVID IIRC but then again so did a lot of countries.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

he's surprisingly deft internationally, shocking that his biggest enemy is jeanine anez

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
i can't take this poo poo for two more weeks haha :)

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
https://twitter.com/nayibbukele/status/1467216871846027274

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

brugroffil posted:

He won his election and was head of the National Assembly, which is where his claim comes from. He didn't run against Maduro but said the 2017(?) Presidential election was illegitimate therefore as head of the NA he was rightful President until new elections could be held

i suspect the real reason the libs are so all in on guido here is because his claim to the presidency is based entirely on an obscure and irrelevant bit of rules-lawyering

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
fidel... back from the dead

https://twitter.com/redcarnationweb/status/1467845813632225286

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

Fidel is still alive... in the spirit of the Cuban regime. These 300,000 people are invoking the spectre of tyranny to beg for freedom.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Cerebral Bore posted:

i suspect the real reason the libs are so all in on guido here is because his claim to the presidency is based entirely on an obscure and irrelevant bit of rules-lawyering

I don't know that it was really "obscure." It's their standard line of Presidential succession. The highly questionable part was of course declaring the then-recent elections illegitimate so therefore there was no duly elected President or Vice President. If Maduro and his VP died in a plane crash today, or they both resigned or something, whoever is now the head of the National Assembly would become President.

Liberals love it because Maduro is Bad and Must Go

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

speaking of the legitimate President of Venezuela

https://twitter.com/camilapress/status/1467535710425161732?s=20
https://twitter.com/camilapress/status/1467235255203606532?s=20

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

leopold and loebez

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

brugroffil posted:

I don't know that it was really "obscure." It's their standard line of Presidential succession. The highly questionable part was of course declaring the then-recent elections illegitimate so therefore there was no duly elected President or Vice President. If Maduro and his VP died in a plane crash today, or they both resigned or something, whoever is now the head of the National Assembly would become President.

Liberals love it because Maduro is Bad and Must Go

Also the whole thing where the US gets to unilaterally make legal decisions about the Venezuelan constitution and not the Venezuelan courts.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

so glad to see that the people of Venezuela have finally had their voices heard. this is what democracy looks like

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
https://twitter.com/KawsachunNews/status/1467970806147915777

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
lol, did they finally realise how embarassing they looked

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think they saw a future where in 2040 the guy in the UN would be some guy from miami who is only related to guaido via six degrees of kevin bacon and figured they should probably go back to normal.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lmao

https://twitter.com/jguaido/status/1468260718784909316?s=20

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Presumably they had finished siphoning all of the international resources of Venezuela into private accounts and did not require the pretense anymore.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Enes Kanter has been going on a CIA asset speed run lately.

I don’t know why because who cares about Enes Kanter in 2021?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

will this affect his polling

https://twitter.com/Hugo_Gutierrez_/status/1467996294551642115?s=20

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It's Jeb!s all the way down

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
Scumbag Leopoldo Lopez was invited to Chile by the right to smear poo poo against our hard earned constitutional convention.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

lol I remebmer some UN bullshit during the Trump admin where Pence told the Venezuelan guy that he shouldn't be there since he didn't represent the real government of venezuela and the dude just laughed at him

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
The whole pretender to the throne thing seems like something you could only really pull off when actual thrones mattered and they didn't have TV or internet for anyone outside the country capital to tell who was really in charge day to day

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

We've entered a legally-mandated no-polling period so from here onwards we're going blind. Up to that point polls were giving Boric a mild-to-significant lead, but that was before the rest of the right and some shitlibs fell fully in line with Kast, so chances are it's gonna be a nailbiter. But yeah this definitely doesn't help his chances with the asado crowd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Good luck op