Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Spectral Werewolf posted:

Yeah this was my thinking as well, I just want to be able to grab some lava from there every once in a while instead of going all the way down a mine shaft or into the nether just for a couple buckets.

It's perfect for that, yeah. I think Arboreal Extractors work best when it's 1 per tree, too. Not that copper machines are all that expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

I ran my entire base on lava, but the catch was to do it with a pump in the nether and an ender tank. Seemed to support ~12 magmatic dynamos with no problems at all.
I did wind up increasing the throughput rate for the fluxducts in the config, because 1krf/t is not up to snuff.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
I had planned on trying that at some point, but that's far beyond where I'm currently at.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Black Pants posted:

I am not good at designing sci-fi industrial looking spaces. :negative:

Delegate!

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Black Pants posted:

Because I can,

I'm not really sure how to make a rec area homey with the design theme lol I guess it doesn't matter too much.

Looks nice.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
someone mentioned using a djinn ore miner in above and beyond a page or two back - is there any way to get renewable iesnium for it?

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Gone Fashing posted:

someone mentioned using a djinn ore miner in above and beyond a page or two back - is there any way to get renewable iesnium for it?

Use the stella fortuna thing to make the djinn lamp indestructable!

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
oh good idea 🤔

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
The new 1.2 version of the mod pack removes the ability to Stella lamps, FYI. I don't even know where in the configs that is.

It also fixes the stupid issue with AE2 presses. Swings and roundabouts I guess.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Echophonic posted:

The new 1.2 version of the mod pack removes the ability to Stella lamps, FYI. I don't even know where in the configs that is.

It also fixes the stupid issue with AE2 presses. Swings and roundabouts I guess.

Well that really sucks. I wanted to test out the mineshaft so I cheated in the materials because I spent an hour in the nether with the otherworld goggles and the crystal pick looking for Iesenium or whatever it's called and came up totally empty. Indestructible things and things that generate resources are my favorite.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Well that really sucks. I wanted to test out the mineshaft so I cheated in the materials because I spent an hour in the nether with the otherworld goggles and the crystal pick looking for Iesenium or whatever it's called and came up totally empty. Indestructible things and things that generate resources are my favorite.

Did you make a divining rod? Between that and a Eff IV Flux Bore, wasn't too awful to get enough. No worse than scrap hunting.

Also, flux bores are awesome. They pretty commonly get Silk Touch from enchanting, can take the Holding enchantment, and can mine 9x9 squares with 4 radial upgrades. Flux saws, by comparison are strictly inferior to lumber axes. I'm sure you can expand a hammer to do the same work, but flux is way easier to deal with in large quantities (you can hold 9M RF in a Holding IV one with the 6x storage upgrade) than repair materials.

If you're running your own server, I'd just cheat in an Indestructible book and creative-enchant it.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Dec 8, 2021

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Echophonic posted:

Did you make a divining rod? Between that and a Eff IV Flux Bore, wasn't too awful to get enough.

If you're running your own server, I'd just cheat in an Indestructible book and creative-enchant it.

Yeah purely single player, just wanted to explore the mod a little. Totally forgot the divining rod was a thing. I do prefer to try doing things the proper way so I'll try the divining rod out just to see how it works.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I've had to cheat in almost every use of Indestructible I've done so far. It doesn't take damage or enchantments into account. Finicky as hell.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
yeah I looked and couldn't see a recipe for making the lamp indestructible before I bothered finding more stellarite. i hate going in to the nether in my game because my portal ended up in a completely enclosed crimson forest that I haven't been able to dig out of yet and I'm always getting pounded by pigs and hoglins. the divining rod is definitely required to find iesnium but i still strike magma while chasing the nearest node all the time

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Buddycards is kind of a fun mod, but Perfect Buddysteel is hilariously expensive for how non-competitive with Netherite it is. Yeah, just wander around looking for ender kids to trade with and they want specific grade cards for gear that tops out around 9 armor/2 toughness. Like, the same amount of effort would give you easily 5-10 debris.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Anyone tried Terralith? Forge/fabric compatible, but I dunno if it'd be better to just go in with vanilla terrain.
Also I think I may finally try a Fabric modpack for the first time, over Forge, especially with all the exclusive performance mods like Sodium and Lithium.

Additionally, does anyone have any mods they'd recommend that add vanilla-ish aesthetic building blocks? Quark was my go-to but it's Forge only and won't be updated for another couple weeks at the least. Mostly just looking for more decorative options.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Dec 9, 2021

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...

Echophonic posted:

Buddycards is kind of a fun mod, but Perfect Buddysteel is hilariously expensive for how non-competitive with Netherite it is. Yeah, just wander around looking for ender kids to trade with and they want specific grade cards for gear that tops out around 9 armor/2 toughness. Like, the same amount of effort would give you easily 5-10 debris.

I tried a bunch of stuff out in creative to see if it would be worth pursuing and I agree the armor is worthless especially for the effort cost. It's frustrating enough that the normal buddysteel costs a block of iron per bar and isn't even as good as iron gear until you've collected a decent amount of cards. Tested out the card grading and it took me over 500 tries to get one S rank card even with the grading bonus, also definitely not worth the effort. The only worthwhile part of the mod is the medals which are useful for their buffs, but the nether medal is broken though and doesn't give the strength and speed bonus when enchanted.

There doesn't seem to be a necessity for keeping the cards either if you don't care for having the collections, once you have one it counts towards set completion, so you can shred everything and try to make some of the other sets.

I like the idea of a trading card mod though.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Spectral Werewolf posted:

I tried a bunch of stuff out in creative to see if it would be worth pursuing and I agree the armor is worthless especially for the effort cost. It's frustrating enough that the normal buddysteel costs a block of iron per bar and isn't even as good as iron gear until you've collected a decent amount of cards. Tested out the card grading and it took me over 500 tries to get one S rank card even with the grading bonus, also definitely not worth the effort. The only worthwhile part of the mod is the medals which are useful for their buffs, but the nether medal is broken though and doesn't give the strength and speed bonus when enchanted.

There doesn't seem to be a necessity for keeping the cards either if you don't care for having the collections, once you have one it counts towards set completion, so you can shred everything and try to make some of the other sets.

I like the idea of a trading card mod though.

The nether medal gives you Fire Resistance and you get the other two when you're on fire, according to the book, I think?

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

Oh, is that the case? I thought it would just be an always active thing. It's still worth popping it on even just for the fire resist though.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

FYI, in case any of you or your kids play on public multiplayer servers:

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
I would be down for the buddycard mod if there was an actual card graphic to look at and not a vague pixel shape item

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Looks like Mojang patched all versions of Minecraft to fix the log4j thing. :toot:

e: https://www.minecraft.net/en-us/article/important-message--security-vulnerability-java-edition

Gwyneth Palpate fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Dec 10, 2021

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
I remember someone in this thread being interested in Life in the Woods, this seems to be inspired by it:

https://www.curseforge.com/minecraft/modpacks/harmony-1-16-5

Ha ha ha I'm a funny guy

Edit: I fixed the typo already gosh.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Dec 16, 2021

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Been playing with the Create Above and Beyond modpack with my brother.

First I made a combine harvester....

Then I set up a tree harvester that will chop down trees and replant the saplings. Used oak trees so I get apples as well.

Last night/today's project is automating my produce. Anything that can be compressed is compressed, both for selling and I'll keep a few crates if I need to cook meals. Wheat and sugar are ground down and the flour is water washed into dough. The dough and any raw meat hits the end of the belt which has heated air to cook stuff. The mechanical arm moves everything to a chest on the right

Next up, an automated animal production set up.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Any suggestions for a modpack that has a bunch of quests, a high-tech focus, and a lack of 'added realism'? More specifically:
  • I like having objectives to complete. Progress to some end goal is ideal, but I'll take a big ol' stack of cheevos.
  • I don't like Thaumcraft, Botania, or other mods that deliberately set out to be incompatible with high-tech automation. The big reason I stopped playing E2E was being required to do those mods to get to the end.
  • I don't want to scrape pebbles and twigs off the ground for an hour to get to being able to make a proper pickaxe or what have you. I want mod stuff to add at the high end, not the low.
A modpack that gives me reason to explore, or at the very least makes my base more portable, would be ideal. I find skyblock kind of dull.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I think if you have enough super glue and time you can literally put your base on a railcart system with Create?

Create: Above and Beyond is a colossal modpack, though. Really wild how many automation setups you have to come up with and then execute and tune.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

FredMSloniker posted:

Any suggestions for a modpack that has a bunch of quests, a high-tech focus, and a lack of 'added realism'? More specifically:
  • I like having objectives to complete. Progress to some end goal is ideal, but I'll take a big ol' stack of cheevos.
  • I don't like Thaumcraft, Botania, or other mods that deliberately set out to be incompatible with high-tech automation. The big reason I stopped playing E2E was being required to do those mods to get to the end.
  • I don't want to scrape pebbles and twigs off the ground for an hour to get to being able to make a proper pickaxe or what have you. I want mod stuff to add at the high end, not the low.
A modpack that gives me reason to explore, or at the very least makes my base more portable, would be ideal. I find skyblock kind of dull.

Gregtech New Horizons fits this bill, except for possibly the "scrape pebbles and twigs off the ground" bit. You have to make flint tools to start (3 gravel = 1 flint, 3 flint + 2 sticks = pickaxe). I don't know what your threshold for early game scavenging is, so I can't say if it'll be your speed or not.

What I can say is that it is by far one of the best quest-based progression pack in existence right now. Only Blightfall beats it due to its pure style, IMO. A new content patch dropped last week, with brand new content mods.

Here's the questbook's chapters:

GTNH does have Thaumcraft, but you aren't required to interface with it in any way until very, very late in progression if you want to do the optional legendary quests.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
If I ever load up a new tech/progression modpack and see something that says "once you progress far enough in the Twilight Forest" I uninstall immediately.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

If I ever load up a new tech/progression modpack and see something that says "once you progress far enough in the Twilight Forest" I uninstall immediately.

Heh, GTNH runs alllllmost into that. You DO need to go to the TF to progress in tech, but it's only for the minerals in the ground that you dig like any other mineral vein (and it's available in the non-progression areas.) If you want to progress in the optional thaumcraft poo poo though you do need to do TF progression.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i simply cheat through any twilight forest combat at this point. i'll do the exploration but gently caress, people are really attached to that unfinished, poorly designed mod

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Thaumcraft has some very useful things in GTNH unfortunately so ignoring it completely isn't the best idea. Twilight Forest isn't the bad part about Thaumcraft in GTNH though-- their implementation of warp is completely bonkers imo and the unfortunately devs will not listen to reason. They included every thaumcraft addon, which means completing the book gives you a poo poo-ton of permanent warp, which means of course you have to use Warp Theory to remove it. loving Warp Theory. Most of the warp effects are enabled; only the ones that break multiplayer are turned off. It can destroy your base, not just by summoning a Wither on top of you, but by loving up the terrain. Get enough warp and you can get debuffs that place blocks inside multiblocks(disabling them), or rain cows from the sky which can gently caress up multifarms, or strike you with lightning which can break nearby objects... Vanilla Thaumcraft warp effects stop occurring if you go long enough without interacting with warp stuff, because people complained about dying while afk. Warp Theory doesn't give a gently caress and never lets up.
There's barely any warning about this, and the items that remove permanent warp are like, EV tier or something, way past the point where you could potentially run into problems with warp. You'd just have to get by with purifying salts, which has a shorter buff when you have high warp... It's a mess!

Honestly, their lovely implementation of warp and absolutely abysmal response to complaints is why I'm not playing the pack anymore.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

just cheat it baby

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

FredMSloniker posted:

this was exactly me (i made a very similar post in this thread a while back) and someone recommended Omnifactory. i only got around to trying it recently, but now i love Omnifactory. E2E's early game was a bit more addictive and i miss Mekanism, but once you get started on the power spike chain OF has just so much poo poo to do. it also makes you realize what an unfun mechanic AE2 channels is (channels are disabled in OF)

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc

Patware posted:

just cheat it baby

This is the way

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
ITT people who aren't gonna like my pack :shobon:

No Warp Theory at least.

Currently getting started on the progression though. First question: how does the player get seeds.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Dec 21, 2021

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

I've set up a bridge running connecting 3 other land masses to my house. But I didn't build the entire bridge, I just set up the line where the rails will be placed, then put rails along turns cause the train will end up placing rails all weird while turning and end up going into the sea. This happened twice :shepface: The other deployers set up the stone for the rest of the bridge.

Its so beautiful :cry: After the bridge was built I rebuilt the cart and set up interfaces, both so the train will stop and I can hop in between landmasses and to retrieve anything produced elsewhere and brought back to my house. Right now its just bringing in logs, sticks and apples from the tree farm to fuel my furnace.

Some of the logs are split towards the furnace. A mechanical hand takes any produced coal out and back into the fuel slot, or into a funnel that drops into magma.

It takes a long time, a lot of frustration when things don't work out, but my god it feels good when things work out.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the three keys to GTNH success:

* Disable infernal mobs
* Disable special mobs
* Regularly use /thaumcraft warp player set 0, for regular, perm, and temp warp

One optional key:

* Cheat in an endgame ore scanner

Sanding off the rough edges produces a wonderful pack.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
pollution is back too, so don't forget to disable that if you want.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Also how do i edit that stuff? What file or do i use multimc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Also how do i edit that stuff? What file or do i use multimc?

MultiMC is the best choice for GTNH in general, though Technic is okay too. Don't use Curse; it chokes on GTNH's custom mods, and the pack's bandaid solution for redownloading custom mods only works sometimes. (Also Overwolf is scummy.)

In MultiMC, to disable the infernal and special mobs, right click your pack and choose Edit Instance. Then, go to Loader Mods, filter by "mob", and uncheck the relevant mods:

For Technic, open up the instance folder, navigate to the mods folder, and rename/delete the relevant mods.

To turn off pollution, go to the config/GregTech folder, open GregTech.cfg, find the pollution section, and change the EnablePollution value to false:
code:
pollution {
    B:EnablePollution=false
    I:PoisonLimit=750000
    I:SmogLimit=500000
    I:SourRainLimit=2000000
    I:VegetationLimit=1000000
}