Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Who wore it better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Cactrot posted:

Who wore it better?

For a second I was thinking green was getting a color shifted Chains and I couldn't be more disappointed

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Framboise posted:

For a second I was thinking green was getting a color shifted Chains and I couldn't be more disappointed

I was mostly referring to wall of text-ness of both along with their hard to understand effects, and then later realized that they also had similar poses.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Chains makes a lot more sense than Huntmaster tbh. Chains locks players out of drawing extra cards, which is in line with a chains/shackles card flavorfully. It's just that since it's black and black has discard in its color identity, instead of stopping the draws at all it makes players discard cards for each extra card they would draw, and then there's an extra mill thing tacked on to basically say "well if you don't have any cards in hand you're still discarding a card" because in early Magic everyone still felt like milling and discarding a card were analogous.

The Huntmaster is a total disaster of flavor/effect, and the effect has a shitload of extra things tacked on for no reason. What the effect realistically does is let you trade 1 creature in your hand for 1 creature in your SB. There's no real reason it should also let you exile all copies of the creature from your deck, the getting extra copies if you exile extra copies from your hand is totally unnecessary for making the card do the straightforward effect, and absolutely no one understands that you only get extra copies of the card from your SB if you have extra copies of the original creature in your hand, and not exiling from the deck. Also it's not an effect that flavorfully matches a "Huntmaster" at all.

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv
ya its a bunch of bullshit

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's nice that you can still play 1-drops in your deck to contest the board early, but once you've cashed one in with the Huntmaster you will never draw one of them again.

But it's such an incredibly marginal benefit that like, what's the point of making the card that way? Why not shuffle a conjured copy of the new card into your library for each card you exiled from there, which would be a neat use of the digital space and also make the card more symmetric and thus easier to understand?

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Alchemy was a mistake, making it effect historic was just a big unforced error.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

It's pretty cool that designs they intentionally left on the cutting room floor have a home in arena as non-draftable rares with only a few meaningless overly verbose tweaks. Thank You Based Chris Cocks

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Cactrot posted:

Who wore it better?

Why do they call it oven when you of in the cold food etc

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Ultima66 posted:

Chains makes a lot more sense than Huntmaster tbh. Chains locks players out of drawing extra cards, which is in line with a chains/shackles card flavorfully. It's just that since it's black and black has discard in its color identity, instead of stopping the draws at all it makes players discard cards for each extra card they would draw, and then there's an extra mill thing tacked on to basically say "well if you don't have any cards in hand you're still discarding a card" because in early Magic everyone still felt like milling and discarding a card were analogous.

The Huntmaster is a total disaster of flavor/effect, and the effect has a shitload of extra things tacked on for no reason. What the effect realistically does is let you trade 1 creature in your hand for 1 creature in your SB. There's no real reason it should also let you exile all copies of the creature from your deck, the getting extra copies if you exile extra copies from your hand is totally unnecessary for making the card do the straightforward effect, and absolutely no one understands that you only get extra copies of the card from your SB if you have extra copies of the original creature in your hand, and not exiling from the deck. Also it's not an effect that flavorfully matches a "Huntmaster" at all.

Yeah, I don’t understand what they’re trying to do. That card could have just been a paper card that says “etb you may exile a card from your hand. If it’s a creature you may reveal a creature card from outside the game and put it into your hand.”

I don’t think juice of being able to exile multiples of the same card to get multiples of a sideboard card is worth the squeeze.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

LeafHouse posted:

Yeah, I don’t understand what they’re trying to do. That card could have just been a paper card that says “etb you may exile a card from your hand. If it’s a creature you may reveal a creature card from outside the game and put it into your hand.”

I don’t think juice of being able to exile multiples of the same card to get multiples of a sideboard card is worth the squeeze.

what an overdeveloped mess

https://twitter.com/Grumpherys/status/1468400734680928256

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Cactrot posted:

Who wore it better?

This card is the textual equivalent of that picture that’s supposed to make you feel like you’re having a stroke.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Absolutely shocking how garbage alchemy is

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Like I wish they just did a digital only space that was like gently caress it we give up here’s your digital mtg

Edit - I guess that’s what’s happening why would they ever pull up

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Goddamn this poo poo sucks.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I understand that Grizzled Huntmaster is a stupid pile of word salad, but especially since it's the second reveal in the cycle, I am absolutely floored by the percentage of Magic players who can't figure out what it does.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Toshimo posted:

I understand that Grizzled Huntmaster is a stupid pile of word salad, but especially since it's the second reveal in the cycle, I am absolutely floored by the percentage of Magic players who can't figure out what it does.

I'm my experience, once you get above a certain number of words on a card there are a lot of magic players that rely on either seeing the card being played or having it explained to them.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Its very weird how supposedly the digital only space can open up all this wild design room and they print a card with a full paragraph of text that does almost nothing you couldn't do in paper.

I've found all the digital only cards extremely uninspiring, except for the nostalgia kick of seeing a Tropical Island or Lightning Bolt in an underpowered format

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Takklemaggot is a fun and interesting card where if you explain the flavor first, most every player will understand what’s going on. Similar to Chains, once you get the intent it’s not hard to understand the mechanical concept. But Magic is a game where “dies” and “leaves the battlefield” are not the same thing, and when you’re that granular then players are going to require the oracle text on hand and for you to explain it to them step-by-step.

Mike N Eich posted:

Its very weird how supposedly the digital only space can open up all this wild design room and they print a card with a full paragraph of text that does almost nothing you couldn't do in paper.

I feel exactly the same way, but I’m also a little afraid of when they print something really worthy of the scaffolding they’re setting up.

Chakan fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Dec 8, 2021

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Chakan posted:

Takklemaggot is a fun and interesting card where if you explain the flavor first, most every player will understand what’s going on. Similar to Chains, once you get the intent it’s not hard to understand the mechanical concept. But Magic is a game where “dies” and “leaves the battlefield” are not the same thing, and when you’re that granular then players are going to require the oracle text on hand and for you to explain it to them step-by-step.

I feel exactly the same way, but I’m also a little afraid of when they print something really worthy of the scaffolding they’re setting up.

I dunno. I do ok just reading the words on the card, usually.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Ok so if the point of the design is to get rid of cards you don't need for the matchup before sideboarding... why does the card require you to exile the card from your hand? Like wouldn't it make more sense for it to be worded exactly like this card:

except only search your own deck/hand/GY for the cards, and then instead of "draw a card" you do the conjure card from SB poo poo.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Ultima66 posted:

Ok so if the point of the design is to get rid of cards you don't need for the matchup before sideboarding... why does the card require you to exile the card from your hand? Like wouldn't it make more sense for it to be worded exactly like this card:

except only search your own deck/hand/GY for the cards, and then instead of "draw a card" you do the conjure card from SB poo poo.

That way would be a lot stronger because you would not need a card in your hand to start.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Toshimo posted:

That way would be a lot stronger because you would not need a card in your hand to start.

But if you don't exile a card from your hand then it doesn't do anything but make your deck a little smaller.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Toshimo posted:

Yeah that templating lets you Cranial yourself but in that case you don’t get the replacement out of the sideboard which represents most of the power of the effect.

Surely it’s stronger to have that option but not by much.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
1 Huntmaster
56 Shadowborn Apostle
3 breeding pool

Sideboard
1x Thassa's Oracle

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Toshimo posted:

the other day I texted my brother "let's meet at the park at 3:30 pm, I have a doctor's appointment in the morning and I expect it to go a little long" and he called me to ask what I was saying. I repeated the text verbatim and he said he understood now

some people simply refuse to read text beyond a certain word count, their brains simply shut down.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

in fairness it does add to the mental tax of the game when every playable game piece has fifty words on it, some of which may or may not be relevant to the game state at every given moment

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

The good news is it's an Alchemy card so they can just keep changing it until morale improves.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Now, this is what I'm into.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Alchemy fuckin blows, stop ruining historic you bastards :argh:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Toshimo posted:

What a weird loving card. Going to be some weird brews trying abuse managing land count

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

ilmucche posted:

What a weird loving card. Going to be some weird brews trying abuse managing land count

Nah. You just hit this T3 and tutor a 4. Good enough.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Cultivate is 3 mana, ramps you 1, and replaces itself with a land in hand. It's pretty good.

This is 3 mana, ramps you 1, and replaces itself with an on-curve play.

Seems pretty good, as long as you never end up in the fail state where this pulls out your 9th land and your curve stops at 8.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Toshimo posted:

Nah. You just hit this T3 and tutor a 4. Good enough.

Seek isn't a tutor

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I would guess the Huntmaster is hard to understand because exiling your own things feels like a cost and your mind expects some kind of payoff for it, so it hangs there feeling weird given what your brain is used to. Maybe that will change when there are loads of these? But it still seems a marginal thing to force your opponent to sit around for.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Toshimo posted:

Famously, green is the color of going into the wilds, clearing it, and building a house

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

mandatory lesbian posted:

Famously, green is the color of going into the wilds, clearing it, and building a house

ever since AFR I feel like complaints like this are pointless

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Mat Cauthon posted:

Goddamn this poo poo sucks.

Uh I'm pretty sure the card is pretty drat strong

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

Seek isn't a tutor

It is a tutor but only if you only have a single card fulfilling the condition of the seek

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

mandatory lesbian posted:

Don't look at the flavor text of Leaf Gilder unless you want to poo poo your pants at the disrespect to nature on a mono-green card.