Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

My fasciitis on my foot started to flare a bit again, so I decided on a max 2-day in a row training schedule a bit longer.. so like Mon/Tues, Fri/Sat until at least Dec. That still gets me building an increasing average in logging my training hours but hopefully gives the foot a chance to recover. Getting older sucks. There is a guy older than me that trains and he gets bad fasciitis too, but he can't run at all during warm-ups, so thankfully I'm not that bad. But I don't want to get that bad either.

For my breaks for my BB test, I need to do a hand technique (3 boards) foot technique (3 boards), and then a "special" which is typically a flying technique (boards vary depending on technique). I believe the boards are 1/2" pine - but tbh I never looked closely at them... might be 5/8 but I don't think so.

For my hand breaks I'll do a boring palm down knife hand chop (I have a very strong right) and the foot will either be a back or sidekick. Undecided, but I'll probably decide next week.

The "special" go tos for those are generally the flying sidekick, jumping snapkick (stacked boards held over head height by people standing on a chair/bench) and a triple hook kick, starting low, medium and high, all in a continuous motion with a jump in between. I tried the flying sidekick and while I think I can do it, a late 40s, 220lb dude going full tilt will absolutely break the boards just on momentum alone, but also risks really hurting the holders or people you're jumping over if you miscalculate. The jumping snap kick is over head height, so for me would probably be around 6'1 or so, but I can't reliably do it, and if I'm not very warmed up I would probably pull my hamstring. Triple reverse hook kick is possible but my vertigo/vestibular issue still doesn't play nice with multiple fast rotations so I don't want to set myself up for blowing that. Power is never a problem with a reverse hook kick, it's probably one of the strongest kicks going and even weak feeling ones will break boards, but a low section is surprisingly tricky to get decent power with. Mid/High? No problem.

With permission we can do something else, and I'm leaning towards.... something else. 4-directional breaks is an option and it's fairly open with how we do it, as long as they go together. So, for example with that, imagine you're in the middle surrounded by 4 people standing on each side of you holding boards. You need to do something that breaks them all using techniques that "flow" .... so your not doing weird stance changes or resets in the middle of it. So I'm thinking of (and I've given this all of 5 minutes of thought for now, so it will change) - Start with a right leg axe kick right in front of me, land with right leg forward, that will set me up to a turning kick with my left foot to the left boards, landing forwards which will change my stance, then from there maybe transition to a left hand punch to the left boards and then a right hand chop to the back boards? I don't know... thinking about this. I believe these have to be min of 2 boards each.

Eds - did those vids help at all? Make any sense?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

This thread used to be a weird secondary home for the grapple goons and occasionally for grapple goons to be mean to TMA people: it used to be a thread meme, in fact. I like that TMA folk are taking it over, even if it's only the two of you so far. It's healthier discussion even if I'm not posting much. I guarantee that many grapple goons are still reading it.

I guess this would be the better thread to talk about Judo Kata. I'm starting to learn quite a bit about Judo Kata. I know two of them pretty thoroughly at this point because I'm the guy who is always there to practice, usually able to travel for gradings, and I'm 160 lb so I end up being everyone's uke because nobody wants to do a fireman's toss on the big guys. I'm starting to learn a third one.

Ask me about Judo Kata if you want. Here are the basics:

*Set forms, with some of the katas going back to the earliest days of Judo.
*All of the Katas are partner exercises and in competition both Tori and Uke get evaluated.
*Each Kata follows a theme and functions as an instructional textbook.
*Many of the techniques are shown in distorted or exaggerated forms for emphasis in demonstration.
*Some of the learning content will be found by performing the Kata, not only from watching it.
*Kata is one of 3 components in grading from shodan (first degree black belt) to godan (fifth degree black belt)

The most common Kata are

1 - Nage no Kata - the forms of throwing (nage): 15 throwing techniques in 5 sets of 3. The first three sets of NNK are the most commonly practiced in judo as they're associated with the shodan test. The fourth and fifth sets are required for nidan (2nd bb), which is what I'm practicing right now. I know this one pretty thoroughly.

2 - Gatame no Kata - the forms of ground work/pinning: 15 ground techniques in 3 sets of 5 - pins, strangles, and joint locks. Associated usually with the sandan (3rd bb) test. I know uke's part quite thoroughly for this one, even if I don't know some of the formal details for Tori's part. It contains the only leg lock technique that ever gets taught in all of Judo (an outside ashi leg reap).

3 - Kime no Kata - old school forms of self defense: This one has swords and stuff in it and I've only seen it on youtube and only once or twice. I don't think it gets practiced in my area very much.

4 - Goshin Jutsu - new forms of self defense: developed in the 50s because they were like "swords?", 15 techniques in 5 sets of 3 (I think( vs grabs, strikes, sticks, knives, and guns. This one is a favourite of the old grognard TMA Judo dudes, and it has strikes and wrist locks and stuff in it. I'm just starting to learn about this one because our head instructor needs to decide which kata he's doing for his yondan (4th bb) test which he'll be eligible for in August.

5 - Ju no Kata - forms of gentleness (ju): a shorter Kata that focuses on balance, flow, and body mechanics. Sometimes called the "women's kata." I've never tried it at all, but it's a favourite of the older judoka (65+) in our area, partly because it has no breakfalls in it for uke. It looks super weird, but people who like it like it, and some of these people were face crushing competitors in their youth, so there must be something to learn there.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Do most schools specialize in 1 type or multiple types?

Is Ju no Kata kinda like Tai Chi?

Judo has always fascinated me. When I was in middle school around 11-12 my best friend was in Judo and loved it. I wanted to get into it with him but I was a fat kid for a lot of my childhood and super self conscious and petrified of people making fun of me so I never dared try.

In retrospect, I wish I did. After my current martial arts experience, knowing how inclusive we are and try so hard to make everyone part of the group and succeed, it probably would have made me a better person if I did back then (assuming they actually weren't a bunch of jerks). I actually think holds/throws is probably a more practical skill set in many ways, but I definitely appreciate the heavy on physical fitness aspect and agility aspects we are very strong in which does me good.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

slidebite posted:

Do most schools specialize in 1 type or multiple types?

Is Ju no Kata kinda like Tai Chi?

Judo has always fascinated me. When I was in middle school around 11-12 my best friend was in Judo and loved it. I wanted to get into it with him but I was a fat kid for a lot of my childhood and super self conscious and petrified of people making fun of me so I never dared try.

In retrospect, I wish I did. After my current martial arts experience, knowing how inclusive we are and try so hard to make everyone part of the group and succeed, it probably would have made me a better person if I did back then (assuming they actually weren't a bunch of jerks). I actually think holds/throws is probably a more practical skill set in many ways, but I definitely appreciate the heavy on physical fitness aspect and agility aspects we are very strong in which does me good.

It's not too late to try! A friend of mine is in his 50s and doing his shodan test in two weeks. There's another guy testing on the same date who is even older, chonkier, and started even later, in his late 40s!

There are some tai chi characteristics in ju no kata, but by "balance" I mean like "balance breaking" - there are movements in it where you redirect your partner past you, where you hold them so that you're supporting uke's weight on tori's body, or where you corkscrew your arms through one another. It looks extremely woo and stupid until you reflect that the redirection just needs a blocked foot and a snap of a wrist to be a solid trip, the supported weight is the same as when you're doing a high amplitude hip throw, and the arm corkscrewing traces the same pathways as pummelling the arms as in wrestling. That kind of abstracted, flowy motion is what it shares with tai chi.

As far as the value of practicing that kata goes, remember that in martial arts we're often coaching people to slow down the motions and work the details out to achieve smooth motion before speeding it up, so there is going to be some value in working through smooth versions of abstracted principles. Again, though, I've never even done any moves in ju no kata: only watched the old timers do it.

Some schools do specialize, but it's rarely a formal thing and it usually has to do with the aggregate preferences of the ppeople leading classes are. Our school likes foot sweeps and ground work because the club founder who died 15 or so years ago liked foot sweeps and ground work, and then I've taken up jiu jitsu in parallel to judo. A similar thing happens with kata - the old timers prefer one or another, and so they teach it more often, so their students know it a bit better. We love Gatame no Kata, and we practice it regularly. The nearest club to us is run by an old grognard dude with blown knees who just loves self defense stuff and certain throwing techniques and so he talks about Goshin Jutsu every chance he gets and rarely does groundwork with his kids. Then when we do crossover practices (we're doing one tomorrow, in fact) we teach his students groundwork stuff, and he'll give us tips on his specialities. His students can't armbar someone worth a drat, but I've taught them a few arm bar escapes that they've drilled, and their defense is now solid.

Other than that, every school needs to be able to do and teach Nage no Kata - knowing it is a corequisite to getting your black belt, and enforcing the uniformity of the kata in grading is one of the ways that a degree international uniformity is maintained in the art and sport.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Lmao people still break boards? Like people who aren’t children?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

CommonShore posted:

It's not too late to try! A friend of mine is in his 50s and doing his shodan test in two weeks. There's another guy testing on the same date who is even older, chonkier, and started even later, in his late 40s!

There are some tai chi characteristics in ju no kata, but by "balance" I mean like "balance breaking" - there are movements in it where you redirect your partner past you, where you hold them so that you're supporting uke's weight on tori's body, or where you corkscrew your arms through one another. It looks extremely woo and stupid until you reflect that the redirection just needs a blocked foot and a snap of a wrist to be a solid trip, the supported weight is the same as when you're doing a high amplitude hip throw, and the arm corkscrewing traces the same pathways as pummelling the arms as in wrestling. That kind of abstracted, flowy motion is what it shares with tai chi.

As far as the value of practicing that kata goes, remember that in martial arts we're often coaching people to slow down the motions and work the details out to achieve smooth motion before speeding it up, so there is going to be some value in working through smooth versions of abstracted principles. Again, though, I've never even done any moves in ju no kata: only watched the old timers do it.

Some schools do specialize, but it's rarely a formal thing and it usually has to do with the aggregate preferences of the ppeople leading classes are. Our school likes foot sweeps and ground work because the club founder who died 15 or so years ago liked foot sweeps and ground work, and then I've taken up jiu jitsu in parallel to judo. A similar thing happens with kata - the old timers prefer one or another, and so they teach it more often, so their students know it a bit better. We love Gatame no Kata, and we practice it regularly. The nearest club to us is run by an old grognard dude with blown knees who just loves self defense stuff and certain throwing techniques and so he talks about Goshin Jutsu every chance he gets and rarely does groundwork with his kids. Then when we do crossover practices (we're doing one tomorrow, in fact) we teach his students groundwork stuff, and he'll give us tips on his specialities. His students can't armbar someone worth a drat, but I've taught them a few arm bar escapes that they've drilled, and their defense is now solid.

Other than that, every school needs to be able to do and teach Nage no Kata - knowing it is a corequisite to getting your black belt, and enforcing the uniformity of the kata in grading is one of the ways that a degree international uniformity is maintained in the art and sport.
The main reason I even got into TKD is my small town has a local, very active club. I do know there is a very active, well regarded Judo club in a close by city. Maybe after I get my Dan I'll consider branching out, but I see myself getting into assistant helping out even more, probably assistant instructing to a point. My club is pretty much like family to me (few of us adults are super tight outside as well) and even though I wouldn't rule it out and kind of want to even just try it, it would be tight. Thanks for the Judo info. It's one of those things I've never really checked into but like I said interest me.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

CommonShore posted:

This thread used to be a weird secondary home for the grapple goons and occasionally for grapple goons to be mean to TMA people: it used to be a thread meme, in fact. I like that TMA folk are taking it over, even if it's only the two of you so far.

Obviously there's a lot of room for debate on the definition, but I don't consider competition forms of karate and TKD as traditional martial arts. Even if it's one point / touch sparring.

Training a martial art is a combination of (among other things):
- learning fighting techniques
- practicing techniques via sparring
- getting physically fit to fight
- developing your thinking on how to fight
- improving your mindset in general

I would say the TMAs that deserve criticism are those that only give instruction on the first and last, mostly because it's intellectually dishonest to be teaching fighting techniques without a framework to have you truly be able to execute those techniques. Which of course leads to teaching a lot of stuff that won't work. Like maybe it would work if you got really good at fighting first and developed really robust setups (I'm thinking of those aikido wrist throws), but you're being told this move works and essentially taking that for granted.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
The thread was never about being mean to TMA people, it's just when spurious claims are made that we get annoyed. Tons of us who are into combat sports got our start in karate or kung fu as kids. Traditional martial arts are rad, as long as people aren't delusional about what they are and aren't.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The thread was never about being mean to TMA people, it's just when spurious claims are made that we get annoyed. Tons of us who are into combat sports got our start in karate or kung fu as kids. Traditional martial arts are rad, as long as people aren't delusional about what they are and aren't.

I mean, if people show up thinking that they're going to do some Dim Mak poo poo or deflect bullets or any 5 Deadly Venoms bullshit, then yeah, rip 'em up. (disclaimer: I love 5 Deadly Venoms)

My motivations and what I get from class are basically: hanging out with and practicing with my son, personal fitness, improved mental focus/clarity. I have zero illusions that I'll ever be "good" but if I'm better than I was last week, then that's success. Is anything I'm learning good in an actual fight? Depends on the fight, but probably not, at least not if you don't mix in techniques at every range/phase of a fight (start of fight/striking, closing in/throw/takedown, ground). Basically my opinion on that is that the majority of TMA teaches basically JUST the first and maybe a bit of the second phase. We do learn some basic wristlocks and headlock escapes, but I don't think the wristlocks (kukki/gooseneck wristlock is the main one we train on) that we do would be effective AT ALL at our level since they rely on fine motor skills and that's generally the first thing to go when your adrenaline kicks in.

We legit had a guy that ran a "Kung Fu" school here for YEARS (like...early 80's-last year) and had TONS of students. I and a couple of friends stopped by to check out the classes years ago and we'd see poo poo like people doing "iron body" techniques where they're standing in horse stance and have someone repeatedly punching them in the stomach or dudes wearing ankle weights hopping on one leg while SWINGING LIVE STEEL CHINESE BROADSWORDS OVER THEIR HEADS. Like lined up doing this. Apparently at some point it came out that all of this guys credentials we absolute bullshit and he'd literally made his entire style up from watching movies.

slidebite posted:

Eds - did those vids help at all? Make any sense?

YES absolutely; thanks a TON. I had a super busy last few days and haven't been on here as much as I wanted.

Funny story: We had a mixed teenager (16+) and adult class yesterday. My Shotokan buddy has an insanely loud kiai was sparring a 16 year old red belt. Round starts, buddy take a step forward, throws a fake out front kick and kiais so loud he scared the kid out of the drat ring. Like almost fell backwards. Amazing.

Pryor on Fire posted:

Lmao people still break boards? Like people who aren’t children?

Yeah, cool guy, we do.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

I do grappling primarily and honestly kata and board-breaking are what I miss the most from TMA. How many opportunities do you get to break poo poo just to see if you can?

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Xand_Man posted:

I do grappling primarily and honestly kata and board-breaking are what I miss the most from TMA. How many opportunities do you get to break poo poo just to see if you can?

I know right? The whole process reminds me of poo poo from dumb 70's/80's martial arts movies, but honestly, if you're over a certain age, that's most likely where your interest in martial arts in the first place stems from. Now I'm taking the rest of the day to go watch Bloodsport and Kickboxer.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
There should be a grappling dummy that taps when you put a certain amount of torque on its joints. Or actually lets you hyperextend, though maybe that's too gruesome.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

kimbo305 posted:

There should be a grappling dummy that taps when you put a certain amount of torque on its joints. Or actually lets you hyperextend, though maybe that's too gruesome.

I think those are called “Whitebelts” in most schools.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

lmao
https://twitter.com/bullshido/status/1462156415817109515
checking on the status of his board breaks

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Now I want to refer to him as “Sabumnim Trump” but I am afraid people won’t get that it’s satire.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

oh god no

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

I'd pay money to see Trump attempt a spin kick

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Well, he's in amongst favorite company. WT also awarded Putin a 9th.

WT gotta do what WT does. They really should go back to their old abbreviation WTF.

I will say this though, it's a quality belt and knot tie.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

I'll never quit TKD now; it's now my life's mission to not be a lower rank than Trump.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

slidebite posted:

Well, he's in amongst favorite company. WT also awarded Putin a 9th.

WT gotta do what WT does. They really should go back to their old abbreviation WTF.

I will say this though, it's a quality belt and knot tie.

At least Putin is a martial artist. I’ve heard his Judo is respectable.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Thirteen Orphans posted:

At least Putin is a martial artist. I’ve heard his Judo is respectable.

I have putin's judo book! I haven't really read it other than just flipping through it.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Xand_Man posted:

I saw in interview with Frank Mir where he mentioned breaking baseball bats with armbars. Honestly sounds like a fun challenge.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

generatrix posted:

I saw in interview with Frank Mir where he mentioned breaking baseball bats with armbars. Honestly sounds like a fun challenge.

There's dudes on insta breaking poo poo with locks. Sorta dumb but also interesting seeing how much force can be applied. Waiting for it to be a criteria for a belt test ...

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

We never break anything that isn't boards (either wood or those lovely plastic practice boards).

Actually, that's a lie, bricks or sidewalk blocks maybe but that's more for optional special breaks at the 4+ dan level or demonstrations. Concrete blocks or bricks have never been brought out in class. I think the last time anyone ever did at our club is when one of my masters did his 7th dan test something like 6 years ago.

Definitely not going around home depot busting up assorted lumber, baseball bats or anything like that.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Our blackbelts do concrete blocks as an optional thing. Also, I watched a dude on youtube break a baseball bat with a straight ankle lock and holy crap.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I almost want to see him re-elected just for this
https://nypost.com/2021/11/22/trump-receives-honorary-ninth-degree-black-belt-in-taekwondo/

quote:

The former president reportedly added that he will wear the taekwondo ​outfit to Congress if ​he is elected president again

Followed by

quote:

Trump and Putin outrank martial arts expert and “Walker, Texas Ranger” star Chuck Norris, who only has an eighth-degree taekwondo black belt.
:saddowns:

slidebite fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Nov 23, 2021

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Grand Master Jong Soo-Park, one of the original military officers sent by General Choi around the world to teach TKD in the late 60s, passed away yesterday.

No word yet if Grand Master Trump is going to move to Toronto to continue his legacy.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Y'all I f'd my back up this weekend and am supposed to test for a stripe tonight. Dunno if I'm gonna make it.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Ok, so I'm pretty sure I DID pass, but I was DYING. I'd stretched my back most of the day before (laying on a foam roller in my office making calls to clients on a wireless headset) so that wasn't TOO bad. Couple of parts of my form were painful, but not terrible. We generally go through them twice and they take the better of the 2, but if they're confident in your first run, they'll just call it complete and I didn't have to do a 2nd. Sparring friggin KILLED me though. I'd picked up a slight cold last week for a day or so and am over it for the most part except for some congestion and couldn't get enough oxygen breathing through my nose and couldn't breath through my mouth due to my mouthguard. Last round (of 4 one minute rounds) I was getting that panicy feeling you get when you hold your breath too long; not good.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
I'm hoping to take up TKD. The biggest local establishment has a "student creed" to recite at the beginning of class, requires "yes sir/ma'am" for instructors and black belts, and has a little closing creed. Is this weird?

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Red Crown posted:

I'm hoping to take up TKD. The biggest local establishment has a "student creed" to recite at the beginning of class, requires "yes sir/ma'am" for instructors and black belts, and has a little closing creed. Is this weird?

Not weird, really. It’s more common in schools that identify as “traditional” and emphasize martial ethics.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Dojo oaths/creeds are a pretty common thing in east asian martial arts. Here's Kyokushin karate's dojo oath--it's a martial art notorious for its intense full contact knockdown tournaments, and even it's got one:

quote:

We will train our hearts and bodies for a firm unshaking spirit.
We will pursue the true meaning of the Martial Way, so that in time, our senses may be alert.
With true vigor, we will seek to cultivate a spirit of self denial.
We will observe the rules of courtesy, respect our superiors, and refrain from violence.
We will follow our spiritual practice, and never forget the true virtue of humility.
We will look upwards to wisdom and strength, not seeking other desires.
All our lives, through the discipline of karate, we will seek to fulfill the true meaning of the kyokushin way.

Sir and ma'am to instructors is totally standard--any east asian martial art is going to ask that you refer to the instructor and black belts as some form of sir, ma'am, sensei, sifu, coach, or whatever.

In general, a lot of the formality is pretty normal by asian standards but may rub people the wrong way if they're encountering it for the first time. Bowing to portraits of the founder, bowing to each other, bowing while entering or leaving the dojo, etc. are also all normal. I know it rubs some folks the wrong way, but in my opinion a spirit of deference is useful in any martial art because you're going to have your ego humbled one way or another, so you might as well embrace showing respect to the people and things around you. It's basically just the equivalent of a handshake anyway.

Of course, the respect must always go both ways. The instructor will have authority within the scope of teaching and leading the class, but that doesn't give them any right to treat you improperly.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Red Crown posted:

We do that; seems normal enough and it’s fine once you do it. We generally also address black belts as “Mr./Ms. lastname” which is weird the first few times you address a 19 year old like that when you’re 46. We also have a creed to recite as part of belt testing. What’s your local school?

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Makes sense, I can go with the flow on it. Mostly, I wanted to be sure this wasn't unique. Thanks!

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

My (MUCH more experienced) friend explained bowing like this: When you face and bow a training partner (whether for sparring or just technique flows), you're entering into a contract to not only train at your highest level but also to do your best to take care of your partner and not to intentionally hurt them (beyond acceptable limits in sparring). Also TBH it looks v. cool.

EDIT: Redcrown, what's your background with martial arts?

EdsTeioh fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Dec 8, 2021

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

EdsTeioh posted:

My (MUCH more experienced) friend explained bowing like this: When you face and bow a training partner (whether for sparring or just technique flows), you're entering into a contract to not only train at your highest level but also to do your best to take care of your partner and not to intentionally hurt them (beyond acceptable limits in sparring). Also TBH it looks v. cool.

EDIT: Redcrown, what's your background with martial arts?

Background? I've seen Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and Enter the Dragon both at least once :v:

Really though, I don't mind bowing, that seems perfectly fine. I'm military so sir/ma'am are honorifics typically reserved for people who are substantially senior to me, but I'm sure it's fine in context. Creeds always weird me out a little (even and especially the military service ones) but again, as long as its expected of everyone and is traditional, I'm good with it.

At this point I'm just trying to find a program that I can cram into my schedule. I'm in the DC-MD-VA area.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Well, buddy, that was about the extent of my background with martial arts as well (outside of about a year of Kendo back in like 2003 but also watching a shitload of Kung Fu Theater). As a fellow newcomer, my big advise is to stretch. Daily. Twice a day. Taekwondo has a lot of flashy kicks and high points in competition sparring come from head kicks. When I started, I could not kick that high, and could barely kick above my hips in almost any form. I got a leg stretcher and use it almost every day and then also do a few yoga poses to help with this. In particular, "pigeon pose" seems to help me out a lot. At this point, my side and round kicks are higher, front/snap kicks are much higher, and I can pretty reliably hit head height with inside crescent kicks (as well as hitting 3 point targets on our heavy bags). Have you taken classes yet?

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I am grapple goon and I read every post in this thread. My wife has no interest in grappling and actually wants to sign up for Kungfu. How can she tell if a kungfu school is legit?

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Only Steven Segal's American branch of Shaolin Temple is legit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

We're traditional and do not say any creed or anything like that at bow in, BUT, from what I understand one of our association schools does so I'll agree it's not rare nor a red flag. We're super practical and do a simple Charrot Kyonyae and get right to it warm ups. The end of class, depending on time, we generally stretch out as a cool down for around 5 min or so, but sometimes just do breathing exercises if we are running late.

The whole seniority thing, ours is pretty straight forward. If you're a black belt, you're addressed as Mr/Ms. (last name). I will sometimes be called a Mr. like a BB because, well, I'm a black stripe in my late 40s and age is respected (even if the ability doesn't automatically come along). But I am called by my first name 80% of the time which is obviously fine.

You can't become a BB in our organization until you are at least 14 or 15, and that's a Jr rank until you're 18. Only practical difference in testing is a couple more options for breaks which are easier and I think 1 less board than the adult equal technique. I think our pre-arranged might have a few more take downs but that's about it. Those kids work hard and earn it and I'd say half probably don't make it. We don't have any awkwardness of calling a 9 year old Mr, and that's just kind of weird. It's actually a real bone of contention with our Masters (such young BBs... what does that even mean?)

Most Jr who stick with it go into the adult BB program as soon as they can which, unfortunately for them, is another entire 9 month contract like I'm going through. They can't simply just do the couple things they didn't have to do and get the gold bar.

We bow to anyone who bows at us, including colored belts, but when a senior BB/master walks close to you for the first time of the day, it's expected (although never enforced) to bow, regardless if you're in a conversation or not. Most adults bow to other adults the first time every day, sometimes even in the locker room lol.

Speaking of BB, I do my trial breaks on Monday. I have to complete 2 power breaks (hand and foot), and a special which is typically a flying technique, BUT, because of my age they do give me the option of coming up with a 4-direction routine which is fairly open ended but just needs to floooooowww and have at least 1 hand technique. 4 direction are a series of breaking 4 board stations that are on all 4-sides of you.

The boards we have to break are 1x10s, solid spruce or pine, cut into ~10" squares. I think the actual measurement is a little over 3/4" thick.

The power breaks are 3 boards. I'm doing a knife hand chop for my hand and a back kick for my foot techniques. I've done the re-breakables (which suck) and I should be able to pull it off.

4 direction I really struggled with my own routine, I'm very indecisive when it comes to some things, but I settled on a routine last weekend that I think I can pull off and isn't elaborate. It flows and is pretty tight. I was told by my master that for 1st Dan, you want it to look good and clean, but play to your strengths. Don't try to show off and do more than you need to do, so I took it to heart. He said he's had, generally adult guys, try to break more boards than required for ~reasons~, and failed, so they failed. Completing breaks are mandatory.

I'll try and describe my 4-direction as best I can:

Starting in a right leg back ready stance, right leg snap kick (sometimes also called front kick), right leg landing in front. This will be 2 boards (1 less than my power breaks)

From there, the right leg that is in front will go into a reverse hook kick to the board behind me around head height, landing all the way in the back. So now I'll be basically facing reverse of how I started (possibly 2 boards, but likely 1)

Then, boards to my left (right from initial start) left hand knife chop (2 boards)

Final board which will be to my right, left leg axe kick landing in front (1 board).

I'll let you know Tuesday if I have a broken hand or not lol.

gay for gacha posted:

I am grapple goon and I read every post in this thread. My wife has no interest in grappling and actually wants to sign up for Kungfu. How can she tell if a kungfu school is legit?
I have zero kung-fu experience but a client of mine is very active in the community. His biggest issue with our area at least, is there is few practitioners/schools within a 2-3 hour perimeter so he generally has to drive hours for any competitions and even then they are almost always mixed. If you like I can ask him what his thoughts are for a good school, other than word of mouth.

One thing to ask your wife though are her thoughts on sparring. I think Kung-fu, like most others, generally has mandatory sparring and in my experience can be a real turn-off for women. Some are amazing and tigers, others really shy from it and don't enjoy it. Often enough to discontinue training if they take a good hit.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Dec 11, 2021