Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Waffle! posted:

*saves game manually*
*saves again just to be sure*

*puts switch into sleep mode without actually closing the game*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

The Postman posted:

I totally forgot Yoshi morphed into vehicles... I gotta replay Yoshi's Island soon.

yoshi's island rules

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Sleep mode is great. A better alternative to my brothers and I leaving the NES on all day and just turning off the tv at lunch and dinner. I did that all the way up to my 360, which might explain why I Red Ringed four of them.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

It's been amazing ever since the DS let you sleep it just by closing the clam shell. It helps that most of the DS's could last roughly a decade on a full charge

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1468022701361086473?t=MKEztkkYMdH9G9ao4oZrpg&s=19

Tetris 99 maxiuns this weekend for a Mario party theme

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I don't think anyone's mentioned it, but at if you scroll all the way down the Featured section of the eShop. Nintendo has added a box that will show you a list of games by the highest average play time over the last two weeks.

This is the third highest behind only Disgaea 6 and Football Manager 2022.

I'm kinda surprised there people use the Switch as a digital clock.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
LoL. I can see using the switch as a digital clock being useful for work. I help set up presentations in conference spaces and the digital clock I have now is over complicated series of physical knobs.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It must be average playtime, and only dumbasses who bought it to make a meme video of it left it I. a long time, while normal people didn't buy it, so its stats are high

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Monkey Fracas posted:

we clearly need to bring back manuals

ideally with fanciful artwork that barely represents what you'll be seeing in the game or features that were cut after all the manuals came off of the printing press

I have a great memory of riding home from the store with my parents, new Diablo box in hand, pouring over the included 80-page manual.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Ragequit posted:

I have a great memory of riding home from the store with my parents, new Diablo box in hand, pouring over the included 80-page manual.

Same, but for the Starcraft Battle Chest that came with the strategy guides.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

John Wick of Dogs posted:

It must be average playtime, and only dumbasses who bought it to make a meme video of it left it I. a long time, while normal people didn't buy it, so its stats are high

perhaps some of them also use it as a digital clock .

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
how would you even do that, one of the big inconveniences of that kind of thing is that the charging port being on the bottom means you can't easily charge the switch when it's propped up

maybe they're running it on the television?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

OhFunny posted:

I don't think anyone's mentioned it, but at if you scroll all the way down the Featured section of the eShop. Nintendo has added a box that will show you a list of games by the highest average play time over the last two weeks.

This is the third highest behind only Disgaea 6 and Football Manager 2022.

I'm kinda surprised there people use the Switch as a digital clock.

Is there an LP?

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I like books because, between work computer, laptop, phone, video games, and TVm I'm constantly staring at screens. Books give my eyes a break. :)

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

House of Leaves is the only book that has ever actually startled me and made me jump (a little).

It was when Billy heard the knocking in the house. I was so pulled into that whole story, visualizing, like I was truly there, that my mind kind of took it too far, and it was almost like I heard it, too.

Walla posted:

I made the mistake of reading it before bed. I need to read it again actually, I haven't since it was new.

Huh, I've been reading a ton of non-fiction lately, but this is making me want to finally start my copy...

Butterfly Valley posted:

I have weird brain worms regarding saving in games that was trained over years of classic style hard saves and none of this auto save/checkpoint nonsense. I still find it difficult to this day to let games load from auto saves after I die

Holy poo poo, I'm glad to hear it's not just me.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Erg posted:

if it helps basically every game ive ever played that autosaves has a big "this is the autosave symbol DON'T TURN OFF YOUR SYSTEM IF YOU SEE IT" message pop up before the title screen

i assume most people click right past it though as they've been trained to skip opening cutscenes

You generally can't skip past those screens though.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Waffle! posted:

*saves game manually*

When I play Resident Evil I make sure my character is standing still before I save.

And of course basically everyone has their own Pokemon saving ritual.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Feels Villeneuve posted:

how would you even do that, one of the big inconveniences of that kind of thing is that the charging port being on the bottom means you can't easily charge the switch when it's propped up

First two accessories I got were a second wall wart for charging and a portable flip stand that left room at the bottom for plugging.

Set the Switch up near the junk under my monitor and keep the joycons in my lap near the keyboard tray, none's the wiser.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Dec 22, 2021

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143

Lastdancer posted:

Today is a good day.

「Thread BGM」 Updated.

It sure is. My Switch OLED arrived today! :confuoot:

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Dec 22, 2021

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Who's porting Hexen?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I know any sort of Pro model is unlikely to happen soon but I juuuuuust can't justify an OLED, even though I almost never play docked.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Inzombiac posted:

I know any sort of Pro model is unlikely to happen soon but I juuuuuust can't justify an OLED, even though I almost never play docked.

It's okay, you're allowed to have that opinion. That being said, you should probably keep your eye on what trade deals Gamestop is offering for your current Switch; you might be able to upgrade for a reasonable price soon.

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.
I grabbed an OLED with the thoughts a friend would want it. After he backed out, I decided to keep it. And the difference in screens is night and day. I still go back to my HAC001 model for RetroArch and it's like looking at a last gen screen.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I miss stux where is stux

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Stux is dead, long live stux

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
That is not dead which can probated lie. And with strange bans even Stux may die.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The Oracle prophesied his return and that his coming would hail the destruction of the Mods, end the war; bring freedom to our people.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Read After Burning posted:

I like books because, between work computer, laptop, phone, video games, and TVm I'm constantly staring at screens. Books give my eyes a break. :)

Huh, I've been reading a ton of non-fiction lately, but this is making me want to finally start my copy...

To give a counterpoint, I found House of Leaves to be boring and really up its own rear end. At no point was I ever scared or creeped out, just annoyed at having to flip the book upside down to read yet another passage telling me how creepy this house is supposed be.

It's basic creepypasta, just pre-internet.

I'm definitely in the minority, though.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Is 3d world nice/cool?

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace

Google Butt posted:

Is 3d world nice/cool?

Very nice and super cool

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Waffle! posted:

*saves game manually*

every time i play fire emblem

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Google Butt posted:

Is 3d world nice/cool?

it loving owns... it has great and unique levels... in short: an easy buy...!

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Palmtree Panic posted:

Very nice and super cool

Cool!

Okay, I've built a random list of games that I'm going to start looking for. How would you order these from must buy to cool but don't trip?

1. Metroid Dread
  2. Luigi's mansion 3
  3. MK8D
  4. SMW3D
  5. Splatoon 2
  6. Rune factory 4s (my chill game choice thus far)
  7. Hades
  8. SMTV
  9. Odyssey

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
those are all fantastic games, you can't really go wrong with any of them

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

close your eyes and pick one they're all great. Also, Dead Cells.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I'm not feeling SMTV but I lack the twitch reflexes and cutting gamer instincts of this thread so I'm not too concerned. I borrowed it off a mate who got Pokemon diamond and immediately dropped SMT for it so no loss on my part. I still haven't finished Metroid dread yet either but it's absolutely going back in the cart slot next time I get some spare time to play switch

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Looper posted:

those are all fantastic games, you can't really go wrong with any of them

:blastu:

sailormoon
Jun 28, 2014

fighting evil by moonlight
winning love by daylight

Mario Odyssey has been my favorite game of all time. It iterates enough on the Mario formula to feel fresh but also hits all of those nostalgia notes to make me feel like a kid again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Google Butt posted:

Cool!

Okay, I've built a random list of games that I'm going to start looking for. How would you order these from must buy to cool but don't trip?

1. Metroid Dread
  2. Luigi's mansion 3
  3. MK8D
  4. SMW3D
  5. Splatoon 2
  6. Rune factory 4s (my chill game choice thus far)
  7. Hades
  8. SMTV
  9. Odyssey

1. Metroid Dread
  2. Hades
  3. Odyssey
  4. SMW3D
  5. Splatoon 2
  6. Luigi's mansion 3
  7. MK8D

i'm leaving room factory and smt off the list because i don't know anything about them.