Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Neither of the Guardians films are marketed to kids and a big big draw of the films is for Millenials and boomers to get all the musical references, I doubt that. Star Wars is the kids IP stuff, Marvel is for adults and man-children

Have you met a man child? Cause they love Star Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

live with fruit posted:

Baby Jesus in the nativity scene, with Mantis and Drax as Mary and Joseph.

How would you even know Drax is there?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

live with fruit posted:

Baby Jesus in the nativity scene, with Mantis and Drax as Mary and Joseph.

Still not going to top this:

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Everyone posted:

Still not going to top this:

Feel like there should definitely be banthas or tauntauns back there.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Xealot posted:

Feel like there should definitely be banthas or tauntauns back there.

I've seen other versions that feature them.

Yes. Mandalorian Nativity scenes are actual things now that you can probably buy with money.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Everyone posted:

Yes. Mandalorian Nativity scenes are actual things now that you can probably buy with money.

What else could you buy it with? Fudge?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

ashpanash posted:

What else could you buy it with? Fudge?

Sex, drugs and rock and roll. Also probably immortal souls in the darker corner of E-Bay and Amazon.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ok I’ve watched the first 6 episodes of Hit Monkey:

~ No less compelling or entertaining than any Netflix or Disney+ Marvel offering.

~The show is not what I thought it was going to be. I expected Bryce, the human assassin, would be a Diet Archer with his quips and bants, but Seudekis is doing a good job of leveling Both his boyish humor and his deep rooted disappoint and insecurity in himself. Monkey, on the other hand, has one of the most compelling character arcs I’ve seen in a long time. He’s dealing with the conflicting emotions of wanting revenge, but not at the cost of his… animality? (Humanity but for animals?). The ghosts of his tribe shame him for drinking human poison and wearing their clothes, and Monkey’s hoots and Ooks and his eyebrows are workhorses, delivering powerful emotional reads on a character that can’t talk.

-It’s laugh out loud funny. Not just the quips, which, hey, Marvel is clever go figure, but also some of the death scenes are high energy body horror that you can’t help but laugh at and the writing is solid and all the characters voices are distinct. Super solid voice acting.

I’ll save the rest of my thoughts for after I finish the last 4 episodes but the only other thing I’ll say right now is that my TV queue is like Midnight Mass, Arcane, Cowboy Bebop (live), all the big shows of the season that have big buzz, and I feel like I have to force myself to sit down and watch these shows, even Arcane, which is one of the best cartoons I’ve ever seen, whereas with Hit Monkey I had to stop myself from just watching the whole thing last night. It’s very engaging and the story has great momentum.

Also I used to live in Japan and worked with the Yakuza, so the show also brings up a lot of happy memories for me of chilling in a hot tub with old gangsters.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

If* Daredevil ever comes to the MCU, he will be played by Charlie Cox, says Feige.

* "Where we see that, how we see that, when we see that, remains to be seen."

https://www.cinemablend.com/interviews/kevin-feige-confirms-daredevil-casting-in-the-mcu-and-fans-will-be-pumped

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Dec 6, 2021

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

mcbexx posted:

If * Daredevil ever comes to the MCU, he will be played by Charlie Cox, says Feige.

* "Where we see that, how we see that, when we see that, remains to be seen."

https://www.cinemablend.com/interviews/kevin-feige-confirms-daredevil-casting-in-the-mcu-and-fans-will-be-pumped

I see he said nothing about Iron Fist.

Given they apparently offered Jessica Henwick a role in Shang-Chi, I guess they decided that one’s not carrying over.

At least it bodes well for my dream of a Cloak and Dagger revival, because Aubrey Joseph & Olivia Holt were great.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Bust Rodd posted:

Ok I’ve watched the first 6 episodes of Hit Monkey:

~ No less compelling or entertaining than any Netflix or Disney+ Marvel offering.

~The show is not what I thought it was going to be. I expected Bryce, the human assassin, would be a Diet Archer with his quips and bants, but Seudekis is doing a good job of leveling Both his boyish humor and his deep rooted disappoint and insecurity in himself. Monkey, on the other hand, has one of the most compelling character arcs I’ve seen in a long time. He’s dealing with the conflicting emotions of wanting revenge, but not at the cost of his… animality? (Humanity but for animals?). The ghosts of his tribe shame him for drinking human poison and wearing their clothes, and Monkey’s hoots and Ooks and his eyebrows are workhorses, delivering powerful emotional reads on a character that can’t talk.

-It’s laugh out loud funny. Not just the quips, which, hey, Marvel is clever go figure, but also some of the death scenes are high energy body horror that you can’t help but laugh at and the writing is solid and all the characters voices are distinct. Super solid voice acting.

I’ll save the rest of my thoughts for after I finish the last 4 episodes but the only other thing I’ll say right now is that my TV queue is like Midnight Mass, Arcane, Cowboy Bebop (live), all the big shows of the season that have big buzz, and I feel like I have to force myself to sit down and watch these shows, even Arcane, which is one of the best cartoons I’ve ever seen, whereas with Hit Monkey I had to stop myself from just watching the whole thing last night. It’s very engaging and the story has great momentum.

Also I used to live in Japan and worked with the Yakuza, so the show also brings up a lot of happy memories for me of chilling in a hot tub with old gangsters.

You are really going to like the last four episodes, then.

Honestly, the only thing I didn't like was the heel-turn one of the characters made at the end regarding how they felt about Monkey for no good reason that I could see.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I tried watching Cloak and Dagger because I love their comic version. It just felt so tepid and uninspired.

Like every Marvel TV property from around that time.

Like loving Runaways.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1467918001278054401

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Would make sense if this was the Xialing+Ten Rings spinoff series that was rumoured a few months ago

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Firebert posted:

Would make sense if this was the Xialing+Ten Rings spinoff series that was rumoured a few months ago

I'll be very surprised if it wasn't this.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Variety is reporting that Cretton's Marvel Studios Disney+ series is a comedy, which certainly doesn't fit the most obvious Shang-Chi spinoff possibilities, so maybe it's something unrelated, idk

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1467929734281449472

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh no, Awkwafina/Katy spin-off.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I tried watching Cloak and Dagger because I love their comic version. It just felt so tepid and uninspired.

Like loving Runaways.

It's a little rough in the beginning of the first season, but it really gets going by the end and is firing on all cylinders by S2.
Edit:

The_Doctor posted:

Given Awkafina is Nora From Queens already exists, that seems unlikely.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 6, 2021

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The_Doctor posted:

It's the misadventures of Trevor and Morris trying to stage a production of MacBeth in Ta Lo

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Cretton making a comedy show is itself pretty funny considering that his pre-MCU output was movies about a group home, child abuse and systematic racism. True Marvelization.

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 6, 2021

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Like loving Runaways.

Unlike the other poster I can’t vouch for S2, but please do persist with S1 at least. It really finds its stride in the back half and has a stellar finale where it goes all in on… well, I don’t want to spoil it.

If you’re a couple of episodes in and wondering why you bothered, go a couple more. Episodes 6-10 are some really good Marvel TV where it all comes together.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

This will be a nice treat for 2027

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Shang-Chi 2: Kung Fu Boogaloo has been greenlit.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

howe_sam posted:

It's the misadventures of Trevor and Morris trying to stage a production of MacBeth in Ta Lo

I mean Kingsley is like Molina in that if you pay him reasonably he'll do basically whatever you want him to.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Megillah Gorilla posted:

:mad: ...Had it not been for the laws of this land, I would have etc etc

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

The_Doctor posted:

:getin:

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
I just now binged through WHAT IF and i found it quite enjoyable! I appreciate strange being titled as Supreme Strange. It made me want taco bell.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

The_Doctor posted:

I love how pointless it being in KB Toys was. There was no reason for it to be that, the brand being long defunct (and would never had had such a large store).

This is from a few days back but apparently it's an Easter egg since KB Toys was indirectly involved with the creation of Marvel Studios. Who knew!

https://twitter.com/nerdist/status/1468265011948793858?s=20

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
KB Toys...

Kate Bishop...

Kate Bishop Toys...

it’s Mephisto

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

KB Toys, almost, but not quite, as good as Toys'R'Us.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Nobody wanted to be a kb toys kid

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

KB Toys was a distraction while your parents were in the WaldenBooks next door. Toys R’ Us was a destination.

Read all about it in “10 Things Gen Z Kids Will Never Understand!”

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

KB Toys was great because you could always go in there whenever you had some extra time at the mall. It was a lot harder to convince your parents to take you to the huge standalone Toys R Us.

edit: ^^ :hmmyes:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Ror posted:

KB Toys was great because you could always go in there whenever you had some extra time at the mall. It was a lot harder to convince your parents to take you to the huge standalone Toys R Us.

When you were 6 and your grandpa gave you $20 and free reign at KB Toys, it bought an absolute shitload of toys. :allears:

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Ror posted:

I still remember my little sister and I being asked to leave a KB Toys because we didn't have our parents with us. Toys R Us didn't care at all though, so we always loved going there.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I bought so many of those 90's Marvel figures at KB.

Also a Sega CD.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Xealot posted:

KB Toys was a distraction while your parents were in the WaldenBooks next door. Toys R’ Us was a destination.

Read all about it in “10 Things Gen Z Kids Will Never Understand!”

The proper rotation was always KB Toys, then the WaldenBooks next door, after that Suncoast video and Babbages as the final stop or vice versa depending on which end of the mall you entered.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

This week's Hawkeye was snoozeville.

The Yelena stuff is so stupid as it seems everyone in the MCU knows that Hawkeye and Black Widow were best buds except her

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Did Hawkeye just ship Kate off back home without actually taking the Rolex off her? Cuz that's some major oversight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How was Clint talking to Kate on the radio when he’s still deaf or whatever