Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Harrow posted:

Something I really enjoyed (final trial spoilers) I love that the "Song of Hope" vocals ended up being for the final phase of the final boss. I definitely didn't call that when I first heard it, and then I forgot that it hadn't been played at all in the game up until then. Hearing that come up right after that really triumphant arrangement of "Maker's Ruin" was extremely hype. I loved that whole fight but the last phase was solid gold.

I'm glad that phase was pretty simple because I was trying to dodge telegraphs through tears for a good portion of it. Also it's really fun that the "victory lap" phase kicks in at like 40% instead of just the last 10%.

I like how obviously Meteion is terrified during that phase. Just wildly flailing with her limbs, screaming about how she can't bear the pain again. Because she's not sure anymore. It really does sell that on some level you're just trying to talk the last vestiges of a broken girl out of her existential despair inside this horrible world-ending horror.

The only trial I can think of that also does that panic phase is Thordan, and sadly he doesn't really last long enough to show it off.

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Jetrauben posted:

Also also: are they implying the reason the Omicrons stagnated and couldn't confirm a target was Omega vanished?

I am reasonably sure they don't giving a flying poo poo about Omega, it was just another disposable weapon in a long line of weapons. They stopped (I wouldn't even say they stagnated, they just stopped doing anything) because by defeating the dragons they succeeded at their goal of becoming the powerful force in the universe and then they realized that they never had any other goal. With nothing to aim for they had no reason to do anything ever again.

Also, after the post-MSQ duty, they receive a reawakened signal from the homeworld telling them to "live" and Jammingway convinces them to open a cafe. Which from their perspective requires analyzing and recreating every single dead culture from Meteion's dead star.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Dec 8, 2021

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Harrow posted:

That's what he always says, or at least the dying mid-sentence. He doesn't outright say he's unfulfilled but he's disappointed to have lost and then asks if you're fulfilled. I think it's ambiguous whether he's satisfied or not because he dies before he can give his answer, but it does seem like maybe he didn't find the fulfillment he thought he would.

End MSQ spoilers: As to whether he’s satisfied in the end or not, I took it as he is and he isn’t. He got his fight, which is what he wanted, but at the same time, is that really all there is for him? Would he feel any different if he had won? He talks about never being able to understand or relate to other people and wonders if you feel fulfilled by everything that’s happened. For a guy like Zenos, maybe fulfillment or satisfaction just isn’t really possible in the end, which is how I interpreted what he was saying. Was it still worth it for him? He never finishes his sentence, although the WoL never gives an answer either, just like you never get to answer the same question from Venat. Obviously, given the events of the expansion, the WoL isn’t going to say “ehh, probably not”, but I appreciated that the writers left it a bit ambiguous and give you the opportunity to just think about it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Clarste posted:

I am reasonably sure they don't giving a flying poo poo about Omega, it was just another disposable weapon in a long line of weapons. They stopped (I wouldn't even say they stagnated, they just stopped doing anything) because by defeating the dragons they succeeded at their goal of becoming the powerful force in the universe and then they realized that they never had any other goal. With nothing to aim for they had no reason to do anything ever again.

Also, after the post-MSQ duty, they receive a reawakened signal from the homeworld telling them to "live" and Jammingway convinces them to open a cafe. Which from their perspective requires analyzing and recreating every single dead culture from Meteion's dead star.

Can I just say how much I love that this game has a plot which is "An adorable tiny bunny man travels to a horrifying apocalypse on the literal edge of the universe and convinces terrifying murderbots to open a cafe atop a literal necropolis."

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
All this talk of "in the universe" does make me wonder how large the universe of Etheirys actually is, especially given that the other FF worlds are connected in some vague multiversal way but are not necessarily in the same universe. It seems implausible that the Omicrons could be literally the most powerful force in the universe, but the same holds true for Meteion's observations - no matter how terrible the grief and apocalypse she's witnessed, there's only so many of her, each dispatched to a number of candidate worlds, she's presumably only seen a small slice of the universe's living things. But if the universe is a small enough bubble - or if Ultima Thule's position is just the relative edge of creation rather than the literal outer edge of the universal bubble - then it makes more sense?

I'm not sure - was it stated she'd been actively preying on other worlds, or primarily observing a bunch of dead civilizations and gathering their remnants to poison the dynamis sea across the cosmos to consume Etheirys and just having accidentally contributed to some dying cultures in her visits that caused her breakdown?

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 8, 2021

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

I am just glad they finally told us (level 86 I think? 5th zone) the true name of the planet. :v: People in the thread were speculating that they didn't really have a name for it but I felt that was kind of BS.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jetrauben posted:

All this talk of "in the universe" does make me wonder how large the universe of Etheirys actually is, especially given that the other FF worlds are connected in some vague multiversal way but are not necessarily in the same universe. It seems implausible that the Omicrons could be literally the most powerful force in the universe, but the same holds true for Meteion's observations - no matter how terrible the grief and apocalypse she's witnessed, there's only so many of her, each dispatched to a number of candidate worlds, she's presumably only seen a small slice of the universe's living things. But if the universe is a small enough bubble - or if Ultima Thule's position is just the relative edge of creation rather than the literal outer edge of the universal bubble - then it makes more sense?

I'm not sure - was it stated she'd been actively preying on other worlds, or primarily observing a bunch of dead civilizations and gathering their remnants to poison the dynamis sea across the cosmos to consume Etheirys and just having accidentally contributed to some dying cultures in her visits that caused her breakdown?

From how it was described she was not actively preying on other worlds but her mere presence could destabilize things, though by the end she was planning on ending the entire universe.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
A thing I really appreciated about the final battle is that in phase 2 Zenos has AoEs that come out so fast that you can only tell he's doing them by the voice line

I don't think there's anything else in the game like that?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

A thing I really appreciated about the final battle is that in phase 2 Zenos has AoEs that come out so fast that you can only tell he's doing them by the voice line

It's not exactly the same, but Zenos prefaces his tankbuster cleave with a voice line in Ala Mhigo too.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

ImpAtom posted:

Can I just say how much I love that this game has a plot which is "An adorable tiny bunny man travels to a horrifying apocalypse on the literal edge of the universe and convinces terrifying murderbots to open a cafe atop a literal necropolis."

Wait a loving second. (MSQ/postgame spoilers)

There's an aether current quest in the zone where Ea asks you about the answer to the meaning of life, and you can reply "forty-two" and have them agree.

Are you loving telling me Jammingway is having the robots build the Restaurant at the End of the Universe?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZZT the Fifth posted:

There's an aether current quest in the zone where Ea asks you about the answer to the meaning of life, and you can reply "forty-two" and have them agree.

Are you loving telling me Jammingway is having the robots build the Restaurant at the End of the Universe?

I assumed so! Also if you eat the blue carrot it puts you in oneness with the universe and all that is left behind after it fades is the number 42.

Also I feel like I should note that the real name of the Restaurant at the End of the Universe is Milliways...

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid

Blockhouse posted:

The 2nd to last Stormblood Omega raid. With the larboardside, portside?, blasts.

EDIT: Oh you mean specifically with a voice line. I seem to recall one or two but would have to double check to be certain.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

ZZT the Fifth posted:

There's also this, if you eat the blue carrot in the earlier moon quests:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

That....was an expansion. I have no idea what I think about it. There's incredible highs here, but also some of the worst tedium I've felt while doing the MSQ. I also don't know if this is the failure of my expectations from ShB coming crashing down, in part most likely. The ending was largely fantastic save for one black spot Zenos.

Actual plot details The first half had so much filler that could've easily been cut before the plot actually starts on the Moon, and really starts on Elpis. Elpis is probably the single greatest 6 hours or so I've spent with this game, it was basically everything I ever wanted save a kiss Emet-Selch button. It's also clear that the themes of this expansion didn't land for me when I cared WAY WAY WAY WAY more about the past in Elpis than the present. Which speaking of, it's a drat shame no one ever said anything special for me being a reaper, and while I feel they did a really really good job writing the WoL as a cipher, I would've loved some dialogue choices about us wanting to reclaim the seat of Azem, in the way that we can always call Hydaelyn Venat instead. Or at least have us acknowledging we share Azem's soul in Elpis. At least when Zenos showed up, we did get an option that said we wanted to kill him, which I liked seeing the normally pure beyond reason WoL saying they want someone dead. Like Kirk going "I have had enough of you" at the end of Star Trek 3.

As well on the ending, I'm really torn on how I feel about the fact that we accomplish this scott free. Venat, Emet-Selch, the ancients in general suffered for this struggle. The people of Garlemald and Radz-at-Han did. But we didn't. I don't know if that cheapens the ending for me or not yet. It's probably something I will have to sleep on.

Given how overwhelming the praise for this expansion can seem, I do worry that I am something of an aberration however.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Eimi posted:

Which speaking of, it's a drat shame no one ever said anything special for me being a reaper, and while I feel they did a really really good job writing the WoL as a cipher, I would've loved some dialogue choices about us wanting to reclaim the seat of Azem, in the way that we can always call Hydaelyn Venat instead.

About this, I think it's important to note that Venat is her actual name, like Hades is Emet-Selch's real name. It's not a title, like Azem is. I think it's less about reclaiming the past Ancient life when you call her that and more speaking to her as a person instead of a deity.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Harrow posted:

About this, I think it's important to note that Venat is her actual name, like Hades is Emet-Selch's real name. It's not a title, like Azem is. I think it's less about reclaiming the past Ancient life when you call her that and more speaking to her as a person instead of a deity.

That is entirely fair! I brought it up more because I loved that they included it as an option, given how reverently everyone else still referred to her, it made choosing to call her that meaningful to me.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Eimi posted:

That is entirely fair! I brought it up more because I loved that they included it as an option, given how reverently everyone else still referred to her, it made choosing to call her that meaningful to me.

Oh definitely. I always chose that option, too. It's like calling G'raha by name when he's still in his guise as the Crystal Exarch. How are you not gonna do that?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

One possible loose end: in Elpis Venat basically asks if you've enjoyed playing final fantasy xiv, later on she says she still intends to ask, but I don't remember answering it at any point

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Flavahbeast posted:

One possible loose end: in Elpis Venat basically asks if you've enjoyed playing final fantasy xiv, later on she says she still intends to ask, but I don't remember answering it at any point

That's actually been bugging me a little. I noticed that too.

On the other hand: It's not like she isn't a call on the orange rock away if we REALLY wanted a quick chat...

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Gearhead posted:

That's actually been bugging me a little. I noticed that too.

On the other hand: It's not like she isn't a call on the orange rock away if we REALLY wanted a quick chat...

I thought her soul was destroyed as a consequence of everything

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

doomisland posted:

I thought her soul was destroyed as a consequence of everything

Nope. She goes back to the Lifestream like everyone else.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
She chose to rejoin the lifestream because she was finally satisfied that her role was complete, as is traditional for their culture.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Flavahbeast posted:

she says before the trial that she will take your answer now, and your decision to fight her, win, and save the universe is your reply

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Clarste posted:

She chose to rejoin the lifestream because she was finally satisfied that her role was complete, as is traditional for their culture.

Hydaelyn: Long after I have gone, though not even my soul remaineth...
Hydaelyn: My love will be with you forever, my dearest children.

I meant this to mean that shes gone not that her soul went back to the underworld.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Badger of Basra posted:

she says before the trial that she will take your answer now, and your decision to fight her, win, and save the universe is your reply

To drive it home, the name of that battle music is Your Answer

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

doomisland posted:

Hydaelyn: Long after I have gone, though not even my soul remaineth...
Hydaelyn: My love will be with you forever, my dearest children.

I meant this to mean that shes gone not that her soul went back to the underworld.

I assume it's more a "even after I've reincarnated, even if my soul fades, my love will always be with you." Nobody else's dialogue makes sense given they constantly reference reincarnation as people playing new parts and meeting again if death equals a total cessation of qualia.

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 8, 2021

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Badger of Basra posted:

That's actually a good point.

You wouldn't have fought her and won if you didn't put everything you had into it.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Badger of Basra posted:

Maybe there's some difference in the scripts, this is what I got:

quote:

Alas, the question I posed to thee in Elpis hath remained unanswered these long years

I would hear thy response, Warrior of Light, shouldst thou emerge victorious

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Jetrauben posted:

I assume it's more a "even after I've reincarnated, even if my soul fades, my love will always be with you." Nobody else's dialogue makes sense given they constantly reference reincarnation as people playing new parts and meeting again if death equals a total cessation of qualia.

Right which is why I took it as an exception to the rule since its called out. Not sure if I'm the only one but might be!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Flavahbeast posted:

This is very intentional, I think. Zenos asks you a similar question at the very end and again you don't get to answer. I think you're meant to take it as a question to you, the player, not the character, and no possible dialogue choice could be broad enough to capture what you might want to say.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Man look at all these people discussing what I presume are critical plot spoilers but I will not check on account of me still being at 86.

That being said though, I did want to share my immediate first reaction to some of the 86 MSQ...

I already thought the fanartists would be going overdrive on that brief look of what Hythlodaeus canonically looks like, so being able to see him and Emet-Selch in the flesh...yeah I'm going to see so much fanart of them. Hythlodaeus is very pretty.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Couldn't be me, at level 83 about to do the second dungeon staring at these black lines and sweating.

God the Garlean story is amazing though.

Quintus' suicide didn't really surprise me, when he dismissed his guards I had a feeling, but man that was such a brutal scene while still never 'redeeming' or in any way making him anything but a broken man who can't even let himself imagine that his 'inferiors' could genuinely be here to help his people. The entire tone was perfect, it was brutal and tragic and never once tried to pretend it was the victims of their brutality's 'duty' to forgive and forget, while still humanizing and showing that so many of them were just people like the rest of the world who got heavy propaganda drilled into their skull.

I love that they took what most of us likely imagined long ago as some big triumphant 'oh man I can't wait to march on Garlemald' thing and just made it an absolute tragedy. The environment sucks, the people don't just hate us they're terrified of us, and we're not even really 'defeating' the Garleans, we're cleaning up from their implosion.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Hellioning posted:

Man look at all these people discussing what I presume are critical plot spoilers but I will not check on account of me still being at 86.

That being said though, I did want to share my immediate first reaction to some of the 86 MSQ...

I already thought the fanartists would be going overdrive on that brief look of what Hythlodaeus canonically looks like, so being able to see him and Emet-Selch in the flesh...yeah I'm going to see so much fanart of them. Hythlodaeus is very pretty.

Also, I love how many people (5th zone spoilers) chose to glamour into the robes you get. Obviously it doesn't matter but it's a nice touch. I also like the guy who apparently brought along white dye to make his robes look vaguely like Elidibus'

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Hellioning posted:

Also, I love how many people (5th zone spoilers) chose to glamour into the robes you get. Obviously it doesn't matter but it's a nice touch. I also like the guy who apparently brought along white dye to make his robes look vaguely like Elidibus'

I also saw a bunch of people using Tataru's winter coat, but knowing we were going to Garlemald I already had a winter coat glam ready.

And it was the same one G'raha was wearing...

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

MOTHERFUCK.

(5TH ZONE SPOILERS)

THE loving SHOEBILL!?

Also Meteion is cute and good and I do not await her inevitable painful death.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Harrow posted:

This is very intentional, I think. Zenos asks you a similar question at the very end and again you don't get to answer. I think you're meant to take it as a question to you, the player, not the character, and no possible dialogue choice could be broad enough to capture what you might want to say.

This is a running thing in this expansion. Several times you're asked an extremely personal question and cut off before they can answer. And then when they finally do answer one - the WoL asked what they're going to do now that the Scions are semi-breaking up - you don't get to decide or hear it

It's whatever you want it to be.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Hellioning posted:

MOTHERFUCK.

(5TH ZONE SPOILERS)

THE loving SHOEBILL!?

Also Meteion is cute and good and I do not await her inevitable painful death.

It's so good. (5th zone)

The mystery deepens....

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
post-finale:

I decided to take a look at Ultima Thule's communities after the final MSQ entry, because the place is genuinely haunting and I was curious if it extended beyond just the robits, and it was actually really cheering that the Ea and dragon-shade communities both, when asked, mention that lately they've been feeling a bit of unfamiliar passion for life and hope. :gbsmith:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Jetrauben posted:

post-finale:

I decided to take a look at Ultima Thule's communities after the final MSQ entry, because the place is genuinely haunting and I was curious if it extended beyond just the robits, and it was actually really cheering that the Ea and dragon-shade communities both, when asked, mention that lately they've been feeling a bit of unfamiliar passion for life and hope. :gbsmith:

absolutely do the EXDR dungeon unlock quests if you haven't already

I don't think they're done with Ultima Thule just yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Okay so I’ve had a thought about something from Stormblood based on information from the fifth zone. Does Dynamis explains what is going on with the Four Lords. They build up emotional baggage over their long lives until it overflows. Which makes them super powerful, and turn into big terrifying monsters.