Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

punishedkissinger posted:

i think devcore should learn to paint

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

It's really not that hard, honestly. The "hardest" part is finding the time and not creating a wall of grey for yourself of interesting models you want to paint.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Nip the pieces with nippers but leave a little sprue sticking out that you can then more cleanly remove with a hobby knife. Gunpla plastic is a lot stronger so you usually nip with sprue remaining and then later nip the nub off but I find if you do it flush with warhams you sometimes end up with plastic being squished together.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

It's really not that hard, honestly. The "hardest" part is finding the time and not creating a wall of grey for yourself of interesting models you want to paint.

Counterpoint: it's actually really hard, the models are all very VERY small, but you are big in comparison, so it's easy to make mistakes :(

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma posted:

Counterpoint: it's actually really hard, the models are all very VERY small, but you are big in comparison, so it's easy to make mistakes :(

Your mistakes are just weathering! The model was always meant to come out like that.

Model comes out poorly? Clearly you just bought the wrong model and must buy more and try again, with a model that has better juju :unsmigghh:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma posted:

Wabi-sabi, my friend. Embrace the imperfection for everything is ephemeral.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma posted:

I did start cutting the sprue a bit further away from the spindly pieces which prevented any repeats, and I found doing it by light pressure with a clean sharp hobby knife was much better than my cutters for small pieces.

I noticed the finger tips no longer quite line up after the fix, I hope it's not so noticeable after painting... will probably break shortly after anyway!

If they break again paint some blood on a break and call it a day. Your blood or fake blood doesn't really matter.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
This just seems like an odd hobby to get into if you don't want to paint at all. That's just such a big part of it. Like drat, it's expensive enough not paying for paint jobs.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Harvey Mantaco posted:

This just seems like an odd hobby to get into if you don't want to paint at all. That's just such a big part of it. Like drat, it's expensive enough not paying for paint jobs.

For me it's kinda like this;

:v:

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Sab669 posted:

For me it's kinda like this;

:v:

im the reverse of this meme

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Eediot Jedi posted:

If they break again paint some blood on a break and call it a day. Your blood or fake blood doesn't really matter.

Actually since the kit comes with a few robot prosthetic arms, this is oddly close to what I was planning

replace grenade arm with robot arm, say he had a grenade accident. If anyone asks what happened to the official grenade arm squirt blood from my eyes as a stress response

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
The "commission painting" talk reminds me of the Blue Table Painting debacle from years back, where a guy commissioned them to paint up an army (I think this was pre-AoS) for a WHFB tournament...which turned out to be a Chaos Dwarf army, full of rare and expensive figures. And they didn't even expend the necessary effort to just half-rear end the job; instead, they quarter-assed it. Primer showing through in spots, missed details, etc. I think they hadn't even finished the project when he told them he wanted to cancel and get the rest of his stuff back, and IIRC he ended up having to sue them just to get his money and the rest of his minis back.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Blue Table is THE WORST. I ended up with an Eldar army that they'd painted and holy poo poo buddy, they sprayed what must have been an entire can of primer PER VEHICLE. Like you know all of those panel lines between parts on Wave Serpents and such? TOTALLY SMOOTH. Like even the fins that have physical gaps between the parts were FILLED IN with primer.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

EdsTeioh posted:

Blue Table is THE WORST. I ended up with an Eldar army that they'd painted and holy poo poo buddy, they sprayed what must have been an entire can of primer PER VEHICLE. Like you know all of those panel lines between parts on Wave Serpents and such? TOTALLY SMOOTH. Like even the fins that have physical gaps between the parts were FILLED IN with primer.

Maybe they used automotive filler primer, figuring "It says primer on it, right? Should be good enough" :v:

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I pivoted to painting my MTO Blood Bowl Amazons since they finally showed up.

I am now reminded how much I lean on modern sculpts and how well washes work on them for my lowlights and the crisp edges for highlights.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I starting to paint my conquest minis now and am once again returning to the world of having to choose my own paint scheme. Thanks a ton for the paintrack suggestions, I think I have a pretty decent paint scheme going and it all feels less intimidating to have an idea of the colors I want to know going into the project

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Floppychop posted:

I pivoted to painting my MTO Blood Bowl Amazons since they finally showed up.

I am now reminded how much I lean on modern sculpts and how well washes work on them for my lowlights and the crisp edges for highlights.

When I painted up a few reaper bones models for local contests then switched to painting the ork kommandos from octarius it was like night and day. The works were so easy to get nice highlights and textures on, then I realized that I was so spoiled by modern GW sculpts.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Spanish Manlove posted:

When I painted up a few reaper bones models for local contests then switched to painting the ork kommandos from octarius it was like night and day. The works were so easy to get nice highlights and textures on, then I realized that I was so spoiled by modern GW sculpts.

Man, I end up painting those Bones figs for my son and good lord they're awful.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Bones are good!

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
they're called bones because they should be buried

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
The dark souls models have been kinda lumpy and meh, it's disappointing. People poo poo on GW for being expensive but from these experiences I think they're worth it.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Got and started working on MODOK last night and this morning.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Spanish Manlove posted:

The dark souls models have been kinda lumpy and meh, it's disappointing. People poo poo on GW for being expensive but from these experiences I think they're worth it.

theres no doubt GW are the best, but i like having cheap stuff available to practice on as well.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

theres no doubt GW are the best, but i like having cheap stuff available to practice on as well.

Oh yeah for sure, those have been my test models for funzies

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Zuul the Cat posted:

Got and started working on MODOK last night and this morning.

that's a nice face

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Spanish Manlove posted:

Switching over from doing almost only Infinity figures to these Conquest figures is a big drop in quality. I get why but, goddamn its a bit different

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.

Bones are good!
They're great now but older ones are absolutely awful.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

EdsTeioh posted:

A Brian vanHoose painted miniature comes in three styles of increasing quality and price: Slop-N-Go, Table-Top, and Museum Qualities.

I couldn't find any knights of the dinner table supporting panels but you can imagine one of their three poses to support that text.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
So for the first time ever, I have a fully painted force in a miniature game.

Here's my teenie tiny Death Guard army. More to come!

[edit] Wow this picture is bad. I need to get a decent setup.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Congrats on your painted army Aranan, a fully painted force is so nice to look at and play with.

Anyone have a recommended supplier (not amazon) for decanting a 1L bottle of mineral spirits into a container that's easier to pour or squirt from? Trying to pour only a small amount from a giant bottle is messy.

edit: I say not amazon because I want to be sure the material won't melt from the mineral spirits.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

tangy yet delightful posted:

Anyone have a recommended supplier (not amazon) for decanting a 1L bottle of mineral spirits into a container that's easier to pour or squirt from? Trying to pour only a small amount from a giant bottle is messy.

Something like this metal can?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Is there a good way to achieve pearlescent color with regular paints? I want to do a white unicorn with a pearlescent sheen.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I think Vallejo makes a Metallic Medium.

I haven't experimented with it too much, but I never liked the results I did get.

Has anyone tried using a regular brush to apply airbrush paints? How well does that work? I know Createx has a ton of awesome pearl / metallic airbrush paints

E; or just find the whitest silver paint you can and mix in some actual white?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Sab669 posted:

I think Vallejo makes a Metallic Medium.

I haven't experimented with it too much, but I never liked the results I did get.

Has anyone tried using a regular brush to apply airbrush paints? How well does that work? I know Createx has a ton of awesome pearl / metallic airbrush paints

E; or just find the whitest silver paint you can and mix in some actual white?

For normal colors I pretty much exclusively use airbrush paints for brush painting and airbrushing. The only difference is that the Air paints are thinner to start with which saves me a bit of time thinning them for my pallete.
The real downside is that you effectively get less total paint from each bottle than you do with normal hobby paints.

For various effects paints your experience will vary, some require a very thin coat which is probably only going to be applied with an airbrush, others will work fine with a brush, the only way to be sure is to experiment. For instance the Vallejo color shifting paints work ok when brushed on, but only look great when sprayed over a glossy and smooth black undercoat.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Is there a good way to achieve pearlescent color with regular paints? I want to do a white unicorn with a pearlescent sheen.

You can check out goldens high flow acrylics line (they have the consistency of inks basically), there is an iridescent pearl which is not bad. I’s basically an off white with a lot of mica in it. It’s little metallic looking, so might not be perfect for what you want to do. I like it and painted my howling banshees with it. My Jain Zar is painted in the old metallic style, so it’s not a problem for me. I also used a very light wash to calm down the metallic feel a little, but can’t remember which one. Sepia maybe.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
If you can think of a thing you might like to use metallic medium for, I can pretty much guarantee you it won't work. I don't mean to poo poo on anybody, but I've had a bottle for years, tried drat near everything I can think of to make it useful for literally anything, and it's always been a profound disappointment. Strongly recommend against.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I have a bottle of pearlescent white craft paint from Walmart, it sucks to paint with just like all craft paint but it works in a pinch. Less than a dollar, may be worth trying.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Unicorn Milk looks expensive as far as paint goes, but 125 ml would let you paint a lot of unicorns. The average GW pot is 12 ml, for reference.

Just make sure you read the usage instructions, some of Culture Hustle's stuff isn't 100% acrylic and can have longer drying times than normal.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
Turbodork color shift has a mother of pearl. Painted over white it gives you the shimmer with some pastel colors from different angles.

You don't get the color on a static image, but you can see the pearlescent effect. It doesn't look nearly as good to me on flat or angular surfaces, but I guess a horse is neither

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

What's the go-to method (if there is one) of painting marble without the dryer-sheet-airbrush method? Is it doable/difficult using just brushes?