Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Any nice looking, free (no ads), full screen clock apps? I'm surprised the stock app doesn't have that mode, unless I missed the option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Maybe a page in Safari or some other browser (that does full screen better)?

Something like this:
https://time.is/ or https://www.timeanddate.com/

Former has a simpler "just time" view, latter has a more or less actual full screen mode if you click through a few times (current time, full screen, then full screen again). Could open a separate Safari instance to keep it separate from your normal tabs.

(If they have ads I'm not seeing them, either being blocked or some other reason)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Thanks.

Kinda bizarre that Apple's app store has practically no search filtering. There's how many millions of apps now?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Anyone have a recommended USB-C to HDMI adapter with a USB-C charging passthrough for an iPad? We're going on vacation for Christmas and I'd like to be able to watch movies and such on the room TV. (The alternative is to just drag along an AppleTV, and I might just do that.)

For that matter, any recommendations for a charging brick with four ports, at least two being USB-C? I need to be able to charge an iPhone/AirPods (USB-A or C), iPad (USB-C), Apple Watch (USB-A or C), and Switch (USB-C), and I'd like to do it with just one brick if possible.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Seems like this should work:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VSMK849

Though I’m not sure if you mean charging brick or battery, the link above is for the former

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ravpower makes some pretty good usb charging options too. I got one 5+ years ago with a bank of six usb-a ports and it's served us well on several vacations, keeping ipads and phones and cameras charged up. It doesn't fast charge anything but if you let it sit overnight everything will be at 100%.

For the hdmi/charging, I bought a thunderbolt multiport adapter that's meant for laptops, but works fine on my ipad. The biggest complication with those is the resolution and framerate it can handle. When I was buying, 4k@60fps was pretty expensive but that might not be an issue for an ipad. Mine is from cable matters.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm not concerned about playing 4K. I'd be shocked if the TV is over 1080p.

And sorry, yes, brick, not battery. I have a small battery I can carry while out and about.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Endless Mike posted:

Anyone have a recommended USB-C to HDMI adapter with a USB-C charging passthrough for an iPad? We're going on vacation for Christmas and I'd like to be able to watch movies and such on the room TV. (The alternative is to just drag along an AppleTV, and I might just do that.)

For that matter, any recommendations for a charging brick with four ports, at least two being USB-C? I need to be able to charge an iPhone/AirPods (USB-A or C), iPad (USB-C), Apple Watch (USB-A or C), and Switch (USB-C), and I'd like to do it with just one brick if possible.

https://www.amazon.com/Charger-Anker-Delivery-PowerPort-Foldable/dp/B07GWQ2GJC/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=anker+power+brick&qid=1638944389&sr=8-4

I have this and it works great. 2x that would be a lot cheaper and more flexible than the all in one.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Technically you could charge all that stuff with USB-A fine and make do with something like this, unless you really need the faster USB-PD charging rates like faster charging the iPad or for the Switch dock (where you specifically need the 15V/3A profile).

And I do the drag along Apple TV thing, small and simple enough and figure it's a better experience than the iPad HDMI adapter route.

...unless you forget the remote and the remote app won't work cause they're not on the same LAN cause you need the remote to configure the new wifi network. And I didn't have the nearby AirPlay setting on so couldn't even do that...but I guess AirPlay would basically be the same as using an HDMI adapter. Maybe the TV at the place is one of the newer ones with built in AirPlay :v:

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Endless Mike posted:

So this might not be exactly what you are looking for but I use it when traveling for my iPad and Switch, both to charge and passthrough. It’s meant for the Switch but it can take any video signal I believe. Availability seems to be an issue but if you are looking for a more all-in-one solution it’s a nice space saver.

https://www.genkithings.com/products/covert-dock

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, I just don't know what the outlet situation will be (my fiancee needs to charge things too), so I'd rather use as few as possible, you know? I might just go this way anyway since I have a 1x USB-A and USB-C one already, and can just get another.

McGurk posted:

So this might not be exactly what you are looking for but I use it when traveling for my iPad and Switch, both to charge and passthrough. It’s meant for the Switch but it can take any video signal I believe. Availability seems to be an issue but if you are looking for a more all-in-one solution it’s a nice space saver.

https://www.genkithings.com/products/covert-dock
This is cool! But yeah, if availability is an issue, it's not super useful right now since we're on vacation for Christmas. I suppose I could get it for later vacations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

xzzy posted:

Ravpower makes some pretty good usb charging options too. I got one 5+ years ago with a bank of six usb-a ports and it's served us well on several vacations, keeping ipads and phones and cameras charged up. It doesn't fast charge anything but if you let it sit overnight everything will be at 100%.

Ravpower got kicked off Amazon a while back for reimbursing people for reviews. Which stinks because they made some of the best value accessories on there.

You can still buy from their website though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The problem with getting a charger with multiple usb-c outlets is going to be power. A single usb-c can draw quite a lot, and building out a bank of them is going to make the charger really expensive and/or really dangerous. Most of them I've seen divide the max rated power output between whatever ports have something plugged into them, so they can advertise "100 watts! wow!" and then you plug four things in and they're all limited to 25 watts.

If outlet availability is a concern you're probably going to have to go with a bunch of usb-a ports and be limited 2.4 amps, eg:

https://www.ravpower.com/products/rp-pc028-60w-usb-charger

Or one with a couple high power ports that does the power division stuff:

https://www.ravpower.com/products/rp-pc029pro-usb-charging-station

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Just for the sake of argument, the max watts of a wall outlet is 1800w, so unless you're plugging in 18 100w chargers you're probably fine

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well my concern is more with a company trying to cram a half dozen usb-c ports into a tiny little plastic box and have each port deliver max power and melting itself to death.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I just ordered a 2-port USB-C charger and will also take the one I noted above. I think we'll be fine.

I think I'll drag my AppleTV rather than use an adapter, too.

Thanks for the responses!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

xzzy posted:

Well my concern is more with a company trying to cram a half dozen usb-c ports into a tiny little plastic box and have each port deliver max power and melting itself to death.

That's fair, they can make them small, to a point. It's probably a liability over convinience for now

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

I just ordered a 2-port USB-C charger and will also take the one I noted above. I think we'll be fine.

I think I'll drag my AppleTV rather than use an adapter, too.

Thanks for the responses!

I always take an Apple TV with me when we travel, A+ would recommend every time.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
My mum is currently using an 2015 12.9" iPad Pro and is looking for an upgrade. I think she wants the big screen, is the right move just to get the newest big boy iPad Pro? Or is the regular iPad that was just updated better (assuming she'll be okay with a smaller screen). She mostly just uses it for content consumption.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

crepeface posted:

My mum is currently using an 2015 12.9" iPad Pro and is looking for an upgrade. I think she wants the big screen, is the right move just to get the newest big boy iPad Pro? Or is the regular iPad that was just updated better (assuming she'll be okay with a smaller screen). She mostly just uses it for content consumption.

if she wants the big size, get the 12.9 iPad Pro, just make sure it has the same if not more storage than she had before.

she already knows how big it is and how much she likes it, she'll be cranky if you step down a size or two to the iPad/iPad Air.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

An air might be more comfortable, though. I find the 12.9 more heavy than I'd like for couch/bed use.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Was considering the iPad Air, but it's nearly end of life: https://buyersguide.macrumors.com

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Back in 2015 the next biggest size was 9.7". She might be cool with a 11". The smaller bezels will probably make it seem larger than it is. It'd definitely be easier to handle.

I think non-pro iPads top out at 10.2", which would be a significant step down from 12.9".

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
The 2021 12.9" iPad Pro is also going to be a bit smaller than her current one because of the smaller bezels. I actually found it felt much less unwieldy because of this.

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.
The iPad Air 4 is great. Get her a refurbished one if you worried about end of life nonsense.

I love my Air 4. The battery life improved recently somehow.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Approaching purported EoL or not I agree, the Air 4 is a fantastic device.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
But also “EOL” here apparently means ~10 months away from a possible refresh on a ~2 year release cycle so kinda lol to that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

As a turbo nerd that cares too much about specs I'd have a hard time buying anything not M1 right now, but for more reasonable humans buying any new ipad at any time will get a kickass tablet that will last close to ten years.

We finally unloaded our first gen Air this year, got a small trade-in value to help get our new pro.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
My biggest complaint is going back to the 60hz display from my 13 Pro Max's 120hz display. Also my desktop monitors are 144hz and 75hz so 60hz just feels so comparatively slow (for like 2 minutes until my eyes adjust back, of course.)

Complete first world problem though.

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.
The most diehard Apple fan out there is the one who has never actually purchased anything and just waits perpetually for the next refresh.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Rinkles posted:

An air might be more comfortable, though. I find the 12.9 more heavy than I'd like for couch/bed use.

I gave this advice to my brother when he wanted to upgrade his OG 12.9 Pro and he sent it back within 24 hours. For some folks the size matters a great deal, so it's just a matter of money. Drop a grand on the new M1 Pros, or if money is a factor there's always the 4th Gen 12.9 that lacks the M1 and the Mini- LED display but for just plain content consumption/browsing will be good for years.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

crepeface posted:

My mum is currently using an 2015 12.9" iPad Pro and is looking for an upgrade. I think she wants the big screen, is the right move just to get the newest big boy iPad Pro?

Yes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anyone got a favorite cable brand for a nice usb-c to usb-a? I have some no-name one I got off Amazon a long ways back and it doesn't clip properly into my ipad's port, allowing it to fall out if I look at it wrong.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

xzzy posted:

Anyone got a favorite cable brand for a nice usb-c to usb-a? I have some no-name one I got off Amazon a long ways back and it doesn't clip properly into my ipad's port, allowing it to fall out if I look at it wrong.

With the various combinations of USB A, C, and lightning I have a whole pile of Monoprice cables laying around and have never had a problem with them, but if there’s anything better I’m all ears.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

xzzy posted:

Anker are my go to

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-2-Pack-Premium-Charging-Samsung/dp/B07DC5PPFV?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, I get Anker stuff, usually. I just accidentally bought two 2-packs of C-C cables, when I needed two cables total. Oh well, I'm sure I'll manage to gently caress them up somehow.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Rinkles posted:

I find the 12.9 too big for lap use. Just a little too in my face.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Monoprice is my go-to when I can wait 2 weeks for my cables to arrive. They warranty them for life so that makes spending 20% to 30% more a little more tolerable.

Lately my cables have been lasting longer and I don't know why. The wish.com Lightning cable that I only bought because it matches my car's color and has been yanked, stepped on, and repeatedly slammed in the door is somehow still working 6 months later.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

xzzy posted:

After looking at reviews, starting from the cheapest till I got to Anker, everything seemed to have issues. But the Anker adapter was 5x more expensive, and I didn't need it for anything essential so I went back to the bottom of the barrel option (two for $3).

And they work, but it seems YMMV, and who knows how long they'll function, and I haven't tested speeds thoroughly yet.

These are the cheapo ones I got

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B097518CPS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rinkles posted:

After looking at reviews, starting from the cheapest till I got to Anker, everything seemed to have issues. But the Anker adapter was 5x more expensive, and I didn't need it for anything essential so I went back to the bottom of the barrel option (two for $3).

And they work, but it seems YMMV, and who knows how long they'll function, and I haven't tested speeds thoroughly yet.

These are the cheapo ones I got

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B097518CPS

They're looking for a cable, not an adapter, I'm pretty sure.