Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Red Warrior posted:

A Short Hike.

This is the best answer. The one caveat is it doesn't really look great. It does feel like wandering around, though. In a good way.

Ghost of Tsushima is definitely great to wander around in. It has one of the prettier natural looking worlds. But the game itself is probably going to be a bit challenging at points. Fortunately, most of the nature stuff is accessible without really having to fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Nottherealaborn posted:

Is this her “introduction” to video games? If so, as far as nature/exploration goes, then Abzu might be a better choice than Subnautica. Additionally, The Witness is a great choice if she’s ok with lots of puzzles. The world is beautiful and amazing to explore.

Not a total introduction but obviously isn’t after something twitchy/reaction based.

Thank you all for the suggestions I bought her Doom: Eternal

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

pretty hosed that veeg is streaming yet another anime highschool game this year instead of giving metro exodus a fair shake :mad:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The second boss of solar ash had me getting mad. The camera in some parts was not properly thought through.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

McCracAttack posted:

Has anyone ever had an issue where 5.1 PCM surround sound works fine on the home screen but when you launch a game it switches to stereo/2.0? I can fix this by popping into the settings after the game launches and toggling it from 5.1 to 2.0 (or 7.1) and back again. After that I return to the game and all is well. But I'd rather not have that extra step.

I have my PS5 connected to an LG C1 which is then feeding audio into this silly contraption via eARC. It may be my weird "receiver" that's the problem but if other folks have encountered this with different equipment I'd love to hear.

I bought a new C1 and an LG SP9YA with the rear speaker kit and it took me close to 2 hours to get surround working. I believe the final fix was setting the audio settings to “receiver”even though I’m using a sound bar, explicitly setting it to 7.1, but then I had to turn everything off and on again. Before that there was no difference. I also went back and forth from direct to Dolby and back. Oh, and my PS5 had to go through the sound bar, doing eARC through the TV I could never get it to work.

Also make sure that receiver is plugged into input 2 on the TV as I missed for awhile that is the only input it will do eARC on.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Real hurthling! posted:

The second boss of solar ash had me getting mad. The camera in some parts was not properly thought through.

It is extremely irritating how often they manage to get the camera to conceal the path immediately ahead of you, and at the same time I'm in awe of how consistently they manage to do it.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Riven posted:

I bought a new C1 and an LG SP9YA with the rear speaker kit and it took me close to 2 hours to get surround working. I believe the final fix was setting the audio settings to “receiver”even though I’m using a sound bar, explicitly setting it to 7.1, but then I had to turn everything off and on again. Before that there was no difference. I also went back and forth from direct to Dolby and back. Oh, and my PS5 had to go through the sound bar, doing eARC through the TV I could never get it to work.

Also make sure that receiver is plugged into input 2 on the TV as I missed for awhile that is the only input it will do eARC on.

See this poo poo is why PC gamers still use headphones.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

doctorthefonz posted:

Untitled Goose Game :honk:

I thought my non-gaming SO would like this (for context I think the most advanced 3D game she plays and likes is Fall Guys) but the controls for grabbing, ducking and such are so finicky it just pissed her off

And then I tried it myself and they are indeed finicky as hell! I still enjoy it but it's a weirdly twitchy and not-relaxign game for some of the challenges

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Dec 8, 2021

Bullet Proof
Sep 3, 2006
Play it 2 player! My wife loved harassing the townsfolk while I did the puzzles

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Bullet Proof posted:

Play it 2 player! My wife loved harassing the townsfolk while I did the puzzles

That's good advice.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Nature video game girlfriend might enjoy Everybody's Gone to the Rapture. Just calmly exploring a sleepy Shropshire village, with literally no threat or tension whatsoever, other than (debatably) in the plot.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

don't resist, give naturegirl bloodborne and let her discover her true nature

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Her video game experience is a little limited so of course I’m a dumbass goon and suggested Red Dead Redemption 2

oof

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

pretty hosed that veeg is streaming yet another anime highschool game this year instead of giving metro exodus a fair shake :mad:

What a stinker!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The only “fair shake” you need to give metro exodus is giving your PS5 a fair shake so the disk falls out and you can flush it down the toilet

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The only “fair shake” you need to give metro exodus is giving your PS5 a fair shake so the disk falls out and you can flush it down the toilet

well veeg already did that. he became a radicalized turn based anime man

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

he became a radicalized turn based anime man

Wretched. Wasteman behaviour

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

well veeg already did that. he became a radicalized turn based anime man

I did it on a digital only PS5 too. The power of video gaming.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Imo it's near impossible to recommend games to non gamers, because regardless of what they describe when they say what they "want" in a game they have no idea what they actually want. They just either bounce hard off your amazing recommendations or venture out on their own and get hooked on some unbelievably stupid phone game and you are like "nooo this isn't the way it was supposed to go"

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
hey veni you should watch Veeg’s stream on Friday for NO REASON

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

VideoGames posted:

I did it on a digital only PS5 too. The power of video gaming.

you won't even get to the second boss in metal gear solid without the game box

veeg once again a prisoner to the evil machinations of beaps :yeshaha:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Firewatch is a good walking around in nature game

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

veni veni veni posted:

Imo it's near impossible to recommend games to non gamers, because regardless of what they describe when they say what they "want" in a game they have no idea what they actually want. They just either bounce hard off your amazing recommendations or venture out on their own and get hooked on some unbelievably stupid phone game and you are like "nooo this isn't the way it was supposed to go"

This is me getting fired in 1999.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

INFINITE LMAO

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

dat yakisoba sandwich tho

Have you considered...hemborger?

e;fb

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

veni veni veni posted:

My wife would love if there was a whole thing of "finding things" games. Also that every game was like Super Mario 3D World and Princess was in each one.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

veni veni veni posted:

there is a way to do it you know that has a pretty high success rate

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Vintersorg posted:

My wife would love if there was a whole thing of "finding things" games. Also that every game was like Super Mario 3D World and Princess was in each one.

https://www.bigfishgames.com/download-games/genres/15/hidden-object.html

There are so many casual hidden object games.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Kazzah posted:

Outer Wilds has a lot of nature, and exploration, though those might be a bit less chill than what she's looking for.

Hell yeah

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Outer Wilds also has a lot of crashing your spaceship, running out of oxygen, and being burned alive by the sun among other dangers. Actually flying the ship takes some control, but you'll get the hang of it with some practice.

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

I feel like there were a handful of "walk around and photograph things" games shown at events over the summer, did any of those come out yet? It's not really a genre I'd play so I don't recall specific names, but I think there were two or three mentioned in the indie showcase.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Gotchu, fam.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

thiccabod posted:

I feel like there were a handful of "walk around and photograph things" games shown at events over the summer, did any of those come out yet? It's not really a genre I'd play so I don't recall specific names, but I think there were two or three mentioned in the indie showcase.

TOEM is out, at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgBRLRaEdws

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

thiccabod posted:

Beasts of Maravilla Island... Only on Switch and PC though (it's in the current itch bundle)

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Escobarbarian posted:

hey veni you should watch Veeg’s stream on Friday for NO REASON

Nah I wanna see Veeg complete the full 12 weeks Hunter campaign in Factions, with pubbies only

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
What about bugsnax for the nongamer?

Also still kinda curious about it myself.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
bugsnax is extremely a Video Game

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

dog nougat posted:

What about bugsnax for the nongamer?

Also still kinda curious about it myself.

It's fun. It's kinda cute. But also a bit gross. So...it's okay.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Bugsnax is fun but it definitely feels like a game from 15 years ago in terms of floaty boaty FPS controls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

veni veni veni posted:

That and you always forget that dual stick movement is actually a really complex skill that takes a long time to learn, so if you recommend anything with a first-person or over-shoulder/chase camera they're going to find it almost impossible to even move