Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I hear a lot of DX sounds in other games/movies, the door squeak noise comes up very frequently but in general I think DX's sound library must have been a popular one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Sometimes Mankind Divided really does have killer writing. In south Prague there's a con artist in a stolen police uniform running a fake-checkpoint and fake-permit scam. You can turn him to a nearby officer characterized as "one good cop", but if you ask her about the oppression in the city she has some interesting ideas about her role in a post-Augpocalypse world:
"Look, I have nothing against your kind, OK? Personally, I mean. But I am on the front lines of a police state. To be competent, I have to be complicit. My way of being OK with that is to be abstract."

She elaborates on that last point with stuff like this gem: "I don't fire into an unarmed crowd; I fulfill the will of history."
Jensen, who was booted from SWAT for not doing exactly that: "You mean the will of those in power."
Philosopher cop: "Same thing."

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Dec 7, 2021

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Captain Walker posted:

This movie trailer wants me to think that's a fire effect, but I know the sound of the Icon of Sin spitting out a monster-spawning cube!!

also quoting myself to ask again

What you've posted of your ini matches what's in mine and I don't get that message :shrug:

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Captain Walker posted:

Sometimes Mankind Divided really does have killer writing. In south Prague there's a con artist in a stolen police uniform running a fake-checkpoint and fake-permit scam. You can turn him to a nearby officer characterized as "one good cop",

She's not really a 'good' cop so much as 'not an rear end in a top hat'. Her opening line is "You must be from out of town, going up to a policeman and expecting it to turn out well."

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

For all its flaws, DXMD's Prague might be the single best game city ever. Almost no two people share dialogue, and it's not some weird ghost town nor is it populated by ghost people who won't talk or interact with you or the game systems.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Gynovore posted:

She's not really a 'good' cop so much as 'not an rear end in a top hat'. Her opening line is "You must be from out of town, going up to a policeman and expecting it to turn out well."
I didn't immediately shoot her in the face, which put her significantly ahead of the rest of the Prague police force.

I forget if I shot her later.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

MysticalMachineGun posted:

What you've posted of your ini matches what's in mine and I don't get that message :shrug:

It's a weird issue and I haven't actually tried playing the game with it because I was afraid it would gently caress everything up.

Speaking of actually playing the game, Lay D Denton v1.1 is out!

quote:

*Roughly 30 JC retakes (mostly Paris). Lines we identified after several playthroughs as “not quite right” or “we can do better”. This includes important ones like “sticks and stones”, “I was never properly trained in its operation”, “How’d my face get all marked up with bioelectrics?”
*The official LDDP HUD color scheme. This was something we had but couldn’t add in without changing the DeusEx.u file. (We just used the built in Purple one originally)
*FemJC Sodacan and cig noises. burp

There's also a new character creation screen where you can choose male or female JC at the start of a run. All the new NPCs have dialogue for male JC, and you can also toggle whether characters like Mercedes and Camille are flit interactions and toggle the vanilla Morpheus voice.
Some characters now have unique conversation and damage barks, like the cat-calling loser in Hell's Kitchen 1. Related: The pimp accosting Sandra Renton had his hearing range cut in half from vanilla, so he no longer turns hostile if something like a gas grenade explosion or flamethrower blast goes off in the vicinity of the cat-caller.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

aniviron posted:

For all its flaws, DXMD's Prague might be the single best game city ever. Almost no two people share dialogue, and it's not some weird ghost town nor is it populated by ghost people who won't talk or interact with you or the game systems.

yeah it's a very well done map, though bizarrely flat (prague is quite hilly irl). definitely the best in the series and a lot more interesting than many larger open world style cities where content is more generic and gets repeated

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Earwicker posted:

yeah it's a very well done map, though bizarrely flat (prague is quite hilly irl). definitely the best in the series and a lot more interesting than many larger open world style cities where content is more generic and gets repeated

I live in Prague and it's fine the old town isn't really hilly which most of the districts are modelled after. The thing that bothers me is the hosed up translation job. Apparently it was outsourced to a polish localization studio that outsourced the job to a Czech translator. I was listening to a podcast with this translator and apparently either eidos montreal just google translated most of it or the polish company ignored his corrections, but it's all horrible.

The toy shop sign reads "Child female gamers", the red light district "Pleasure The District", Do Not Enter "Do not input", or the Překážka district means "Hurdle" instead of the real district in Prague called Ohrada which means "Pen" like in animal pen.

Like 70% of the czech text is either nonsense or just moves punctuation around randomly. Also introduces some punctuation that only exists in polish.

It's hilariously jarring.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Vic posted:

I live in Prague and it's fine the old town isn't really hilly which most of the districts are modelled after. The thing that bothers me is the hosed up translation job. Apparently it was outsourced to a polish localization studio that outsourced the job to a Czech translator. I was listening to a podcast with this translator and apparently either eidos montreal just google translated most of it or the polish company ignored his corrections, but it's all horrible.

The toy shop sign reads "Child female gamers", the red light district "Pleasure The District", Do Not Enter "Do not input", or the Překážka district means "Hurdle" instead of the real district in Prague called Ohrada which means "Pen" like in animal pen.

Like 70% of the czech text is either nonsense or just moves punctuation around randomly. Also introduces some punctuation that only exists in polish.

It's hilariously jarring.

:psyduck: From the translation style it definitely sounds like the whole thing was just run through Google Translate. Why would you use a location setting without contracting the translation/writing directly to people in that country? :wtc:

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

jojoinnit posted:

:psyduck: From the translation style it definitely sounds like the whole thing was just run through Google Translate. Why would you use a location setting without contracting the translation/writing directly to people in that country? :wtc:

According to the Czech translator they gave him the broken czech beta test version for review. This was after the czech voice acting was done (which is spot on btw). The weird part is that of the 100+ corrections he made they just straight up didn't fix anything. So either nobody cared, the fuckup responsible didn't want to get outed, or they ran out of budget to fix anything since it's basically every texture with text in the game. Or all of the above.

But yeah having the whole game taking place there and loving up so badly is an achievement.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Vic posted:

According to the Czech translator they gave him the broken czech beta test version for review. This was after the czech voice acting was done (which is spot on btw). The weird part is that of the 100+ corrections he made they just straight up didn't fix anything. So either nobody cared, the fuckup responsible didn't want to get outed, or they ran out of budget to fix anything since it's basically every texture with text in the game. Or all of the above.

But yeah having the whole game taking place there and loving up so badly is an achievement.

Knowing how the game was cut in half by Squaresoft as it is, I have a feeling it’s likely due to money/time constraints and needing to ship the product.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

Knowing how the game was cut in half by Squaresoft as it is, I have a feeling it’s likely due to money/time constraints and needing to ship the product.

Yeah, I imagine redoing all art with incorrect text would have meant a delay in shipping. It's still on them that they used Google translate to begin with though. It's an absolutely baffling decision.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

jojoinnit posted:

Yeah, I imagine redoing all art with incorrect text would have meant a delay in shipping. It's still on them that they used Google translate to begin with though. It's an absolutely baffling decision.

Game development processes are done asynchronously; art and materials work happens in the early middle through late middle stages, and translation is one of the last things you do. Imagine you are a material artist at Eidos. You need to finish four things today and you don't speak the language, nor does anyone you know; and there isn't a budget for you to hire someone and no time to delay the project you're working on. Without an official translator to rely on, what do you do? Exactly what they did - go to a machine translator and hope it's not too hosed up.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Captain Walker posted:

I frequently get a weird "Connection failed" message when booting through Kentie's launcher. I guess it's trying to load my username and JC's player class as a map or a server or something, and erroring out. Is this an actual performance-affecting issue, and how do I fix it?

This might be a weird interaction between the Unreal engine and Windows 10. I recently reinstalled Unreal Tournament to play Unreal Fortress, which launches from a BAT file which calls an .ini, and at the start of the game it displays a 'connection failed' message. Still works fine.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Not that I was expecting anything less but the project to port DX into Unreal Tournament ‘04 was cancelled.
See here.

quote:

The project has been cancelled. I don't want to work on it anymore (lack of support and motivation). Simple and honest (instead of years of silence).

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

aniviron posted:

Game development processes are done asynchronously; art and materials work happens in the early middle through late middle stages, and translation is one of the last things you do. Imagine you are a material artist at Eidos. You need to finish four things today and you don't speak the language, nor does anyone you know; and there isn't a budget for you to hire someone and no time to delay the project you're working on. Without an official translator to rely on, what do you do? Exactly what they did - go to a machine translator and hope it's not too hosed up.

I understand that general translation takes place after everything else is done; but I figured for things that are part of the setting they would have some kind of script to work off? I guess I'm naive here.

Anyway, this got me playing Mankind Divided until 2:28am so not all bad. I hadn't revisited it in a couple of years I think.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

jojoinnit posted:

I understand that general translation takes place after everything else is done; but I figured for things that are part of the setting they would have some kind of script to work off? I guess I'm naive here.

That depends very heavily on the game and the people working on it; but generally development doesn't start with God laying out an exact blueprint of where every exact thing is going to go and then it's just a matter of filling in the outlines until it's shipped; rather, it tends to be a chaotic process. You make something, see if it's fun, if it's not, you cut it or alter it, and see if the new thing is fun, or fits the game. Sometimes this process is left to design leads, but sometimes it's up to the whims of the people who are working on any given segment to fill it out. This is particularly true for games with large play spaces; a good example are the vaults from Fallout 3 & New Vegas. These weren't heavily planned ahead of time - there was going to be a vault there, but then it was largely up to the designers for the areas what to put in. That's why there is a vault where everyone just says Gary, the level designer put that in during a fit of whimsy and it stuck.

I'd guess that DXMD had a more structured/hierarchical approach than that, but I would be shocked if there wasn't some designer autonomy. Even on a project with heavy oversight however, things that are made early in the project are relatively unlikely to survive late into development, so hiring someone to do translation on text that may be gone in a week isn't an ideal prospect.

I agree that there should have been an audit of this kind of thing before release, but it's easy to see how something like that slips through the cracks on a game of this size.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Casimir Radon posted:

Not that I was expecting anything less but the project to port DX into Unreal Tournament ‘04 was cancelled.

I can't even imagine what the point of that mod would be. The underlying engine for UT2K4 was 99.9% the same as for Unreal, it was just the content that was new.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

aniviron posted:

That depends very heavily on the game and the people working on it; but generally development doesn't start with God laying out an exact blueprint of where every exact thing is going to go and then it's just a matter of filling in the outlines until it's shipped; rather, it tends to be a chaotic process. You make something, see if it's fun, if it's not, you cut it or alter it, and see if the new thing is fun, or fits the game. Sometimes this process is left to design leads, but sometimes it's up to the whims of the people who are working on any given segment to fill it out. This is particularly true for games with large play spaces; a good example are the vaults from Fallout 3 & New Vegas. These weren't heavily planned ahead of time - there was going to be a vault there, but then it was largely up to the designers for the areas what to put in. That's why there is a vault where everyone just says Gary, the level designer put that in during a fit of whimsy and it stuck.

I'd guess that DXMD had a more structured/hierarchical approach than that, but I would be shocked if there wasn't some designer autonomy. Even on a project with heavy oversight however, things that are made early in the project are relatively unlikely to survive late into development, so hiring someone to do translation on text that may be gone in a week isn't an ideal prospect.

I agree that there should have been an audit of this kind of thing before release, but it's easy to see how something like that slips through the cracks on a game of this size.

If Prague was just a smaller location out of several, or if the game was a shooter where you're not expected to look through everything inch by inch, I wouldn't think twice about Gary doing stuff quick and dirty.

But MD's hub is the most detailed thing in any Deus Ex yet, and just plopping what Gary thought sounds good when everything else is so meticulously detailed is the baffling part. The Prague intro cinematic reads "hlvani mesto" instead of "hlavni mesto" (captial city). You look at jensen's bulletin board and there's "Buy more paper(adjective)" and "Not touching my sandwich!" Even for a first pass with just google translate it's strange:

They had to rely on someone who only thought they spoke czech and then ubieidos didn't have time or knew to fix it. At first I was like "Aww Jensen's trying to learn czech, what a cute little thing." Then I went outside and the first thing I see is a sign reading "Ancient District" pointing to Old Town.

E: And that person just had to be polish:

Vic fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Dec 8, 2021

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

aniviron posted:

This is true but if the art assets include a bunch of graffiti and signage in a language that no-one on your team speaks, you'd think it'd be worth to have someone who does speak the language take a look early in the process when any mistakes can still be fixed. It's a quick job now to potentially spare a lot of blushes and extra work later. Sounds like a pretty clear project management fuckup to me.

Also makes me think Squeenix cutting the game wasn't responsible, since the job should have been done early in development, not half-way through.

edit: and it's not like it's that expensive to pay a native speaker a few hundred a month as a retainer in return for them looking at art assets as and when they come in. Even chucking stuff ad hoc onto Mechanical Turk would have been better than "Google translate and hope for the best".

Zephro fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Dec 8, 2021

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

So I figured I'd dig more into the credits:

This is the Polish localization company that worked on it: https://q-loc.com/about-us/
They don't list Mankind Divided in their portfolio. Interesting.

This is the localization project manager:
https://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,272579/

Whose last credit is a project manager on Cyberpunk 2077, and his linkedin says he no longer works there as of June this year.

His current position is "Project Ritualist" at no doubt his own studio

:thunk:

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Game loc is a difficult and under-appreciated process, precisely because a few bad lines can sour someone on a whole game. For every Jeremy Blaustein or Scott Strichart masterpiece, there's three Danganronpas where naming conventions become plot holes and third-person pronouns become spoilers. It's a good thing Persona 5 is so drat long because early on you have lines like "it means they will hold nothing back and are serious to kill us", which is some serious "this guy are sick" energy.

It's even rarer to see a standout English > not English loc; I think it's literally just some of 8-4's work like Undertale. A Montreal-based dev like Eidos won't always have environment art leads who are fluent in English. Combine that with asynchronous pipelines done by multiple teams in multiple countries and you get stuff like Watch Dogs, which takes place in a Chicago where the vending machines selling sugary carbonated drinks known as "pop" in most of the US are plastered conspicuous SODA textures

edit:

Vic posted:

This is the localization project manager

His current position is "Project Ritualist" at no doubt his own studio

ten chlap jsou nemocní

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 8, 2021

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

An Ars Technical War Stories video just released with Spector talking about Deus Ex.

https://youtu.be/Bb98qIZfwgc

I haven’t watched it yet.

Edit: Nothing groundbreaking that readers of the thread don’t know about, but not bad.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Dec 16, 2021

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Probably the best thing about Deus Ex is that there's always more to learn

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF67tmqA-q0

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

I was never properly trained in its terms of service.

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
I’ve got a 2560 x 1440 monitor and Deus Ex opens into a window when I try to open it at that resolution with Kentie’s launcher. The game seems to work fine on 1080p but I’m curious if there’s a way to make 1440p work. I’ve tried borderlands window fullscreen but that just makes deus ex open into a full screen.

Also I’ve been trying to run thief 2 with t2fix and the game stops responding whenever I try changing the resolution. Are these problems related? I wasn’t sure where to go to ask. Spelunky does the same thing when I try playing at 1440p too.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Is the window correct resolution? If so try Borderless Gaming app, I've been using a lot for older games.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

aniviron posted:

That hub is one of two video games where I’ve seen my last name or a variation of it- just this and Black Ops IV. It’s kind of cool as a dude with an obscure last name.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

is it possible to run new vison and biomod at the same time? gonna try it setting it up but it'd be nice to know if it's possible or not from others in 2021

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Marzzle posted:

is it possible to run new vison and biomod at the same time? gonna try it setting it up but it'd be nice to know if it's possible or not from others in 2021
I’m pretty sure that works. There might even be an installer that will do it all for you.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

idk seems like you gotta install stuff in a specific order and rename some files or something. probably just gonna run biomod and call it a day

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Just install new vision last, should always work. It's a texture replacement and doesn't change anything about game logic. Just remember to use kenties launcher or else it won't display the new textures properly.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

ah see I actually DID install new vision but adding kentie's launcher (and the required visual basic runtime :thunkgun:) was a bridge too far. maybe I will do it if I crave high def deus ex textures but for now the blocky rear end poo poo is feeding my nostalgia

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
afaik all those hi-def projects are all unfinished anyway. I say as long as the resolution is crisp its good to go

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

it is better to reign in a complete low res texture hell than serve in a incomplete high res texture heaven

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

You could also go the other direction and play with texture filtering off. There are some indications that the game's art may have been designed without texture filtering in mind.

https://twitter.com/joewintergreen/status/1255070801084035072

If you click through there's some interesting stuff.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

aniviron posted:

You could also go the other direction and play with texture filtering off. There are some indications that the game's art may have been designed without texture filtering in mind.

https://twitter.com/joewintergreen/status/1255070801084035072

If you click through there's some interesting stuff.

Honestly fascinating. I can't wait to try a run in software rendering!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

So how do you turn off texture filtering? Just run with software rendering?