Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

this also makes it harder for them to announce christmas restrictions
so christmas is saved!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

keep punching joe posted:

Hope this omicron isn't serious, will be hard to get the public to comply with restrictions after a fortnight of being told that it's mild and everything is fine.

It's not looking good re: transmission and vaccine escape, at all

Basically this thing is going to be a tsunami, and we better hope by some miracle that the virus is much, much less severe than Delta

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Jippa posted:

They announced that over 40's can get the jab now after 3 months just now but still haven't updated their website.

Was just able to book my 3rd shot. Time since second shot is 5 months for me, they've now made it bookable after 3 months

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
You still have to be over 40 to book on the website.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Prepare to be welded into your homes - a reliable source

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Barry Foster posted:

Basically this thing is going to be a tsunami, and we better hope by some miracle that the virus is much, much less severe than Delta

Narrator: It was not.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Barry Foster posted:

It's not looking good re: transmission and vaccine escape, at all

https://www.cityam.com/anxiously-op...s-deadly-delta/

According to this, so far no one has died of Omicron (that have been tested.)
Some health experts are saying to let it rip to supplant the much more deadly delta.

It is a natural cycle for viruses to mutate to become faster spreading but less lethal. Viruses want to survive, and killing your host is a bad strategy, you want to make everyone mildly sick and keep on trucking. I was reading something the other day that was pointing out the the 1918 Spanish flu virus is still around, but it's now just one of the thousands of common cold/flu viruses.

Of course, it's still far to early to be sure, so early caution is a good idea.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Yup.

Seriously, y'all, invest in KN95 (FFP2) masks, get boosted ASAP, and change your behaviour, because this is probably going to be a nightmare

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Grey Hunter posted:

Some health experts are saying to let it rip to supplant the much more deadly delta.

It is a natural cycle for viruses to mutate to become faster spreading but less lethal. Viruses want to survive, and killing your host is a bad strategy, you want to make everyone mildly sick and keep on trucking. I was reading something the other day that was pointing out the the 1918 Spanish flu virus is still around, but it's now just one of the thousands of common cold/flu viruses.

To the first - the "health experts" saying that are loving insane. A less lethal virus that spreads more quickly is going to kill far more people than a more lethal but less transmissible one. It would be social murder unless, by some miracle, omicron causes no fatalities whatsoever (and then there's the other, non-death outcomes to still worry about)

To the second - that's old and discredited science, there is no selection pressure on covid to become less lethal because it kills long after it's replicated and spread. It could happen by random chance, but there is no inevitable curve towards being less severe.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

blunt posted:

Narrator: It was not.

John Burn-Murdoch (who actually make these graphs) had a long twitter thread yesterday about how early data from South Africa on omicron is looking quite positive that it has much less severe outcomes than delta.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Grey Hunter posted:

https://www.cityam.com/anxiously-op...s-deadly-delta/

Of course, it's still far to early to be sure, so early caution is a good idea.

FWIW this is sheer delusion. Omicron will do everything that the wild-type variant did, but will likely almost completely evade antibody neutralisation unless you're ≥3x vaxxed with an mRNA or JnJ vaccine, or else some combination of vaxxed+prior infection. And even that will still probably not confer a huge amount of protection it seems

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

peanut- posted:

John Burn-Murdoch (who actually make these graphs) had a long twitter thread yesterday about how early data from South Africa on omicron is looking quite positive that it has much less severe outcomes than delta.

Dude makes great graphs but is not an epidemiologist, and extrapolating from the early stage of an infection wave from a country with such different demographics is stupid, at best

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Yeah, this is the real loving deal

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

Dude makes great graphs but is not an epidemiologist, and extrapolating from the early stage of an infection wave from a country with such different demographics is stupid, at best

So the graphs that say things are bad are good, but the graphs from the same guy saying things are good are bad?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Failed Imagineer posted:

FWIW this is sheer delusion. Omicron will do everything that the wild-type variant did, but will likely almost completely evade antibody neutralisation unless you're ≥3x vaxxed with an mRNA or JnJ vaccine, or else some combination of vaxxed+prior infection. And even that will still probably not confer a huge amount of protection it seems

Evading neutralisation says nothing at all about how severe the disease it causes, though. Delta already evades neutralisation by both prior infection and vaccination, but doesn't cause any worse disease in those with some degree of prior immunity - the fact that our new cases have been running at over 40k/day since the summer but our deaths have stayed below 200/day (compared to way over a thousand a day at the height of the last wave, which was with the original variant and Alpha) is unfortunately grim proof of this.

(Obviously 200 deaths a day is still 200 too many and it's ridiculous how this seems to be a level of death that the collective brains of the establishment are fine with)

e: Also I assume you've been hanging around in the CSPAM covid thread both because of the doomerism and because you mentioned J&J, which I don't think ever got used in any great quantity here, and not AZ, which the majority of our most vulnerable had, and which is possibly the reason *why* we're not dying in much greater numbers. It doesn't give as good an initial response as the mRNA vaccines but it *does* seem to give longer-lasting protection against serious illness and death, especially with the 12-week dosing schedule we lucked into, to the point where by now - even pre-booster - I would have better protection against serious illness with my March first dose of AZ than the people who got Pfizer in June and July.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Dec 8, 2021

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
i think it will all be fine, and i think history is with me on this one

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Barry, I like you, but you've been doom posting about Omicron since it first got discovered, and it's just miserable and counterproductive. You are stating your dark prophecies as fact, when actually it is just as speculative as any other prediction. Feel free to share credible sources to contradict me here.

It might be loving awful, it might be alright. Either way, everyone should just take the precautions and do what they can to distance and be safe while protecting their sanity.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

If you think I'm insufficiently optimistic then feel free to listen to noted joker madlad Failed Imagineer instead

But yes, fine, I'll stop posting, I just don't want people I like winding up on the back foot with this and getting caught out. I think calling to replace cloth or surgical masks with n95s is pretty reasonable

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

efb: but yeah, your incessant doomposting is loving with my anxiety

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Ok, I'm out.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

BoJo is throwing his staff under the bus

edit: lmao he's denying a party took place

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
away for a walk around town with your big bell and sandwich board

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

"This is an absolute car crash for the government's reputation."

Why do they still have a loving reputation? After killing over 150,000 sick and disabled people through benefit sanctions? After mangling the brexit negotiations and reigniting the troubles in Northern Ireland? After killing a further 120,000 people through the botched covid response while they dumped the response money into their mates bank accounts? While they used their majority to asset strip the NHS, remove protest rights, and allow the police to break the law with impunity? I wonder if there's anyone who could have maybe stopped that from happening by not constantly laundering their reputation? You absolute loving weapon!

AAAAAAAAAGGGHHH

E: this country does not deserve s picture of my dog.

None of that really matters compared to the press finding out there was a party they weren't invited to twelve months ago.

https://twitter.com/RespectIsVital/status/1468525121468084227

No need to get the police involved, says a man who once ran over a deliveroo driver pished.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
it's surreal how iterative this whole thing is, though

like maybe the idea that the goal is to get back to normal needs a fundamental rethink

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/stephens_ben/status/1468507188092194817?s=21

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Boris just played the "playing politics with the issue" card.
I'm not a fan of Keith by any means, but he's having a good day today. why can't he be this angry all the time? He may well get something done!

If wishes were fishes.....

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Boris is astonishingly bad at politics outside of his trick of laughing things off and pandering to racists. When that fails you see him floundering like the hack he is.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
It's weird that this is the straw that broke the camel's back. The Tory party has been doing this poo poo for over a decade but this is the thing they're going all in on.

Guess Starmer proved he's a good boy who'll do as he's told.

Bug Squash posted:

Boris is astonishingly bad at politics outside of his trick of laughing things off and pandering to racists. When that fails you see him floundering like the hack he is.

Boris' only trick is being incredibly wealthy and having the full backing of the press. He's always been poo poo at everything he's ever done, he's just never been allowed to fail.

Gonzo McFee fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Dec 8, 2021

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I hope there's a VONC. Love a good VONC. Missed that drama.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Put a bangin VONC on it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Comrade Fakename posted:

So the graphs that say things are bad are good, but the graphs from the same guy saying things are good are bad?

No the graphs are fine, good colours and all. The problem is when you become so good at making graphs that you try to make public health pronouncements. Similar to how in my job when the biostats and programming team try to make contributions to clinical documentation and their overconfidence leads to hilarious blunders that I have to fix because I'm an actual biologist

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/Dominic2306/status/1468554606800220164

lmao he's just tweeting it out.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Evading neutralisation says nothing at all about how severe the disease it causes, though.

e: Also I assume you've been hanging around in the CSPAM covid thread both because of the doomerism and because you mentioned J&J, which I don't think ever got used in any great quantity here, and not AZ, which the majority of our most vulnerable had, and which is possibly the reason *why* we're not dying in much greater numbers. It doesn't give as good an initial response as the mRNA vaccines but it *does* seem to give longer-lasting protection against serious illness and death, especially with the 12-week dosing schedule we lucked into, to the point where by now - even pre-booster - I would have better protection against serious illness with my March first dose of AZ than the people who got Pfizer in June and July.

I'm not talking about AZ because I haven't seen any worthwhile preprints on its efficacy wrt nAbs and omicron variant.

To your first point above though, obviously I agree. And nAbs are obviously just the easiest component of a complete immune response that's easiest to model in vitro

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
nostalgic for old tereezer's weekly VONCs and going on television to have a shout at the nation with her warbly voice like a temporary teacher atop the precipice of a nervous breakdown

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Lol this was just asked in PMQs

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

crispix posted:

nostalgic for old tereezer's weekly VONCs and going on television to have a shout at the nation with her warbly voice like a temporary teacher atop the precipice of a nervous breakdown

*whispers* vonc...vonc....vonc

*bangs table* VONC! VONC! VONC!

ah nostalgia

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Doomposting is fine, it makes everything feel more dramatic and exciting.

Also gently caress me, I got my covid booster on Monday and it hosed me up even worse than my first one. Was not expecting that after having such a mild response to the second one. Only just back to normal today.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Failed Imagineer posted:

extrapolating from the early stage of an infection wave from a country with such different demographics is stupid, at best

This applies both ways

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Barry Foster posted:

If you think I'm insufficiently optimistic then feel free to listen to noted joker madlad Failed Imagineer instead

But yes, fine, I'll stop posting, I just don't want people I like winding up on the back foot with this and getting caught out. I think calling to replace cloth or surgical masks with n95s is pretty reasonable

An N or KN 95 will give you a little extra protection over a standard FFP1 dust mask that you can buy from B&Q and only a modicum more than a scarf/nuisance mask. This is because you don't get moisture droplet prevention until FFP3 level.

But thats only half the story. Not only will you need an FFP3 mask that you have been face fit tested for to ensure it forms a seal, you will also need to shave every 4-6 hours to stop facial hair from breaking the seal around your face. You will also need to adhere to the correct donning/doffing procedures and wear the other forms of PPE as specified by current guidance. A face shield/visor, isolation gown, Nitrile/Vinyl gloves and shoe covers.

As guidance the current market price for a genuine FFP3 mask is around £2-4 each. And you have to bin them every time you take it off. Most users go through 3-4 a day during an 8 hour work shift.

If you want to go everywhere wearing an FFP2 mask feel free. If it makes you feel better thats fine, but its not the magic bullet you think it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

Barry Foster posted:

Ok, I'm out.

I'd say keep on posting friend, yes there's been a lot of doomposting but life is rough these days and people need to vent sometimes. Maybe spoiler tags and trigger warnings from people could be useful.
Just don't want you to feel like you're alone while you're in a bad place.

Booster chat: Not had mine yet but the theme I'm getting is that it'll be worse than the initial shots. Not looking forward to that.