Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

Sound is the least important part of a film's presentation to me, I personallydon't find that surround adds much if anything to the experience. I watch 4K movies using my TV's built in audio. Gimme the original mix, even if it's mono.

This is a wild take. Sound is probably the most important part of watching a film. The #1 adage of low-budget filmmaking is to devote as much as you can to sound design, because audiences are incredibly forgiving for visuals (film stock, effects, color mixing) and incredibly critical of sound design. It's not even a conscious thing.

Anecdotally, I've been telling my friends for a year now that the best way to upgrade your home theater system is getting a good sound bar or sound system. They just got one a week ago and it's all they can talk about, and describe it as a truly transformative thing. It's just a thing you don't notice until you have a GOOD one. Same thing happened to me last year when I finally got a sound bar myself and could adjust the treble and bass separately. And it's why the theatrical experience is impossible to replicate, because they have the best sound system that won't fit inside your house. As much as I love having my 4k UHD and finding an amazing restoration, at this point I'd say upgrading your sound system is way more of a boon than UHD or HDR10+/DolbyVision, since it will improve streaming as well.

I agree with a good set of wired headphones is a great addition if you don't want to get a soundbar or speaker system. I got a pair of HyperX Cloud S headphones, which have 7.1 surround sound and adjustable bass/treble buttons, and, again, transformative experience. I mainly use them for gaming, but they're great for films or music, too. (The 7.1 is through USB only, by the way.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I'm an audio guy, so I love a good audio remaster, so long as it retains the original sounds (and they don't gently caress up and leave out some sounds, as remaster teams sometimes do when working with original stems, like on ANoES or the first Suspiria release from Anchor Bay). You can use those stems and still create an immersive surround track just fine.

Fully replacing old foley work with completely new sounds is dumb. I recognize it a lot since it often alters the feel of the original, like those redos of Scarface or TGTB&TU with the new gun sounds that are so out of place. They did new foley for the original Black Christmas a few years ago, and the differences are pretty clear (luckily the original track is available too). Often, it feels like a studio trying to "modernize" the sounds to beef up a scene, which shows how little confidence they have in their movies and the viewer. There's just no need.

A weird one is the new remaster of Taxi Driver from a few years ago. Some of the trigger/hammer sounds when Travis is loving around in the mirror with his guns are replaced with more realistic ones. No clue what that's about.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Escape from L.A. and Looper were added to bluray.coms UHD release calendar in February.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Escape from L.A. and Looper were added to bluray.coms UHD release calendar in February.

Before a US 4k of Big Trouble or Mouth of Madness? Insane.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea I don't get it but whatever, I don't pass up Carpenter UHDs. Beggars can't be choosers.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I don't get it but whatever, I don't pass up Carpenter UHDs. Beggars can't be choosers.

Ghosts of Mars 4K when?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

It's so hosed up when the options menu is poorly designed and you can't actually tell which options has been selected.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

It's so hosed up when the options menu is poorly designed and you can't actually tell which options has been selected.

It's annoying but I can always figure it out by pressing the arrow buttons on my remote and watching which direction the cursor goes on the menu.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I put on the Home Alone 4k this weekend, and once you select your language, the movie sits on the main menu for 1 second before auto-playing. Very weird thing to happen these days, and I didn't like it!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Basebf555 posted:

It's annoying but I can always figure it out by pressing the arrow buttons on my remote and watching which direction the cursor goes on the menu.

That doesn't work if there are only two options

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

It should work because if the cursor is on the option on the left, and you hit the left button on your remote, it shouldn't move, because you're already on it. If you hit the right button, it'll move and you'll see it move.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Basebf555 posted:

It should work because if the cursor is on the option on the left, and you hit the left button on your remote, it shouldn't move, because you're already on it. If you hit the right button, it'll move and you'll see it move.

What if it wraps around to the other option no matter which one you push, what then smart guy??

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

Seems needlessly snarky towards someone trying to help you.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xenomrph posted:

What if it wraps around to the other option no matter which one you push, what then smart guy??

Hmmm never encountered that but yes that would throw a wrench into the works

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Basebf555 posted:

On my system usually if the cursor is on the left option and I hit left it'll wrap back around to the right option.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

For the lovely menus that are hard to see what you’re selecting I’ve opted to use the cursor that pops up on my tv when you shake the remote a bit. For whatever reason it works when selecting something in menus.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I know Looper will probably be an upscale but let’s loving gooooooooo

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Steen71 posted:

Comparison here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkgLzxiaUA4&t=339s
(Skip to 5:38 if it doesn't automatically.)

I think the new sound effects are atrocious. Also, I'm not quite sold on the new very contrasty look the film now has.

Yeah, this is definitely a lot worse than I noticed. It didn't detract from the experience while I was watching it, but A-Bing it like it is here makes the new sounds seem awful.

Does the disc have the old mix if you switch it to the lossy Dolby track?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Franchescanado posted:

This is a wild take. Sound is probably the most important part of watching a film. The #1 adage of low-budget filmmaking is to devote as much as you can to sound design, because audiences are incredibly forgiving for visuals (film stock, effects, color mixing) and incredibly critical of sound design. It's not even a conscious thing.

Anecdotally, I've been telling my friends for a year now that the best way to upgrade your home theater system is getting a good sound bar or sound system. They just got one a week ago and it's all they can talk about, and describe it as a truly transformative thing. It's just a thing you don't notice until you have a GOOD one. Same thing happened to me last year when I finally got a sound bar myself and could adjust the treble and bass separately. And it's why the theatrical experience is impossible to replicate, because they have the best sound system that won't fit inside your house. As much as I love having my 4k UHD and finding an amazing restoration, at this point I'd say upgrading your sound system is way more of a boon than UHD or HDR10+/DolbyVision, since it will improve streaming as well.

I agree with a good set of wired headphones is a great addition if you don't want to get a soundbar or speaker system. I got a pair of HyperX Cloud S headphones, which have 7.1 surround sound and adjustable bass/treble buttons, and, again, transformative experience. I mainly use them for gaming, but they're great for films or music, too. (The 7.1 is through USB only, by the way.)

Appreciate this post homie

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

RichterIX posted:

Yeah, this is definitely a lot worse than I noticed. It didn't detract from the experience while I was watching it, but A-Bing it like it is here makes the new sounds seem awful.

Does the disc have the old mix if you switch it to the lossy Dolby track?

According to Harper, no.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
My Krampus UHD is out for delivery today. Will report back.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
My Who Framed... Steelbook arrived. Haven't checked the disc yet but easily one of the best decisions I've made for a Steelbook purchase.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Mine showed up too. Also haven’t had time to check it out.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mom I wanna Kramp!

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I want my Roger Rabbit UHD, but I managed to order through Amazon when it was briefly available to pre-order and now im just waiting to even see if they'll fulfill it.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I got the Suicide Squad 4K the other day. I'll post photos when I get home from work.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Also for my birthday I got the Tremors UHD, and Night Gallery season one on Blu-ray.

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008
Amazon missed the delivery on my Krampus 4k today. And I feel like I'm the only one still waiting for my World of Tomorrow Blu-ray from the Kickstarter. All around a bad day for wanting my movies.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

edogawa rando posted:

I got the Suicide Squad 4K the other day. I'll post photos when I get home from work.

Front

Back

Inside

That's the 4K disc in front

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ooh I want that.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

In Australia/NZ, it's exclusive to JB Hi-Fi. According to blu-ray.com, it's Best Buy exclusive in the US.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

feedmyleg posted:

Sound is the least important part of a film's presentation to me, I personallydon't find that surround adds much if anything to the experience. I watch 4K movies using my TV's built in audio. Gimme the original mix, even if it's mono.

This is an insane take for someone who posts so regularly in this forum. TV speakers nowadays intentionally sound like absolute dogshit so that you buy a sound bar/sound system to fix how loving terrible they sound.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I was able to hold off on watching the Krampus UHD last night because it didn't feel close enough to Christmas but it's snowing today so I'll probably cave tonight.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
If I already have a receiver and floor speakers do I need a soundbar? Can you mix and match them? Again, my receiver's really old and the only way I can send audio to it is through bluetooth or an optical converter.

I mean I'm sure a built-in subwoofer would be an improvement, but I look at soundbars and I just think "there's no way you're getting rich sound out of that thin little thing".

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

King Vidiot posted:

If I already have a receiver and floor speakers do I need a soundbar? Can you mix and match them? Again, my receiver's really old and the only way I can send audio to it is through bluetooth or an optical converter.

I mean I'm sure a built-in subwoofer would be an improvement, but I look at soundbars and I just think "there's no way you're getting rich sound out of that thin little thing".

Soundbars are not designed to be used with other speakers, and mix-and-matching speakers is far from ideal because they will have different “voices” (timbres? Some of the terminology around sound gets confusing).

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Soundbars are basically the baby mode upgrade from TV speakers.

I personally rock a TV wall mount that has a built in 3.1 setup. It's sadly discounted, but I thought it was a great compromise for apartment life. On the bright side, when it goes out, I'll have an excuse to upgrade to a 5.1 setup :getin:

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Decent sound / speakers are crucial, as are the availability of original sound mixes. I mean it's half the presentation, right? People flip out over George Lucasing special effects and revisionist color grading but too many don't blink an eye (or ear...) over totally different and poorly mixed Foley audio effects, etc. Modern remixes should be limited to utilizing more channels and standard volume and EQing, that's all, and even then the OG mix should still be available on the disc.

One major screwup that still hasn't been fixed by Universal is the US Conan the Barbarian Blu-ray which is straight up missing several instruments and choirs from Basil Poledouris's incredible score, rendering multiple scenes neutered and awkward as a result. I don't know how you mess up that badly, just bewildering. Hopefully a future 4K release doesn't make the same mistake.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
My ideal upgrade then would probably just be a modern reciever and a good subwoofer and satellites. Otherwise that'd be a waste of good floor speakers which I already have.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
It's weird to me that the original audio isn't a default feature on blu-rays. Is there some technical reason they don't do this or are they afraid people will think the movie "sounds old"? The original Evil Dead has a 5.1 audio mix and nothing else on an otherwise excellent blu-ray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CPL593H posted:

It's weird to me that the original audio isn't a default feature on blu-rays. Is there some technical reason they don't do this or are they afraid people will think the movie "sounds old"? The original Evil Dead has a 5.1 audio mix and nothing else on an otherwise excellent blu-ray.

You know how people stretch 4:3 aspect ratios into 16:9 and see nothing wrong with it?