Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

How much does it go down Chise? How much does it go down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Are there actual numbers anywhere on vaccine efficacy against infection by omicron at 3 doses vs. 2? All the news I can find either gives titer count reduction info or some overbroad bullshit like that chise "a third dose neutralizes omicron" tweet which seems to imply 100% which obviously isn't true.

What's the official govt line going to be for people who got boosted <6 months ago?

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

lmao

Sir Thats Gross
May 27, 2006

Thoguh posted:

If they’ve been COVID positive that long without symptoms you’re probably good since that’s well past the window where people seem to be most likely to be highly contagious.

Thanks for the response. That’s what I was leaning towards but I haven’t followed the research as strictly as some of y’all in this thread.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

no lube so what posted:

should I lean more gently caress or more suck?

both are good, but if you do "hand stuff" the CDC advises washing your hands while singing happy birthday, and this part is critical, twice

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

FRIENDSHIP WITH DELTA ENDED

https://ourworldindata.org/explorer...CAN~PRT~GHA~BWA

Lookit our boy Omicron fly
:chanpop:

:piaa:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

actionjackson posted:

I assume the doctors are still staying doctors, because they get paid a poo poo ton, just in a much lower risk environment, like a private clinic as opposed an inpatient setting

I hate the growth of concierge doctors but I’d be lieing if I said I didn’t understand the draw for individual physicians to go that route.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Lookit our boy Omicron fly
:chanpop:

this says it's ~1% in North America as of 12/6 :confused:

https://www.gisaid.org/hcov19-variants/

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Pretty sure I just guaranteed that I’m on the layoff list in the next 3-6 months. My dumbass company decided that they wanted to start large group meetings in the auditorium again. Masks optional for vaccinated people and 100+ people in a poorly ventilated former theater. I said nope, I’m not going and I’m not forcing my associates to go either. The feedback was not well received.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Dustcat posted:

it's not a failure if you can spin the funeral pyres as really owning the libs

very unlikely. now the inverse, it becoming socially acceptable to say mass death is inevitable or even desirable if the dead failed to vaccinate i see happening all over the place.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Sir Thats Gross posted:

Thanks for the response. That’s what I was leaning towards but I haven’t followed the research as strictly as some of y’all in this thread.

It’s smart to assume you got exposed and act accordingly but if asymptomatic people were still generally contagious after two weeks then everyone in the world would have already had COVID multiple times over.

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

bowser posted:

https://twitter.com/itosettiMD_MBA/status/1468506913721753604?s=20

Rich and powerful people losing their best Get Out of Jail Free card might be the one thing that pushes governments to reinstitute any COVID measures other than tweeting "get vaxxed" over and over.

Oof :negative:

I figured this would be the case but sucks to see it. Honestly, this is probably one of the last beams keeping the hospital system up. MABs have likely prevented hundreds of admissions across our facilities.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Thoguh posted:

OG COVID before we had vaccines was mostly mild too. That whole line of thinking is indistinguishable from what the chuds were saying two years ago.

99% of people live!

3.4 million dead is normal and cool!

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Did Israel green light #4?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

so is she some sort of PR operation

I have a terrible time reading anything about the subject because of my ignorance (like wtf ade2 receptors what where do I even BEGIN to read about this poo poo) and so much of the referenced, relevant information from the cutting edge of research is in this extremely packed context that of course it becomes very confusing and hard to parse

but even in all of this, not even once, I saw something indicating "neutralization" anywhere. what the gently caress is going on here?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Lawlicaust posted:

Pretty sure I just guaranteed that I’m on the layoff list in the next 3-6 months. My dumbass company decided that they wanted to start large group meetings in the auditorium again. Masks optional for vaccinated people and 100+ people in a poorly ventilated former theater. I said nope, I’m not going and I’m not forcing my associates to go either. The feedback was not well received.

gently caress ‘em if they aren’t even offering a remote option.

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Platystemon posted:

Don’t worry.

They put up a sign.

👍

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

bowser posted:

Rich and powerful people losing their best Get Out of Jail Free card might be the one thing that pushes governments to reinstitute any COVID measures other than tweeting "get vaxxed" over and over.

time again to cough in corner offices to increase upward mobility

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

CoolCab posted:

i think we need to stop thinking about it in terms of immediate outcomes - if some significant fraction of the people who "recover" die of something otherwise non-lethal within a few years due to the damage done then you'd still have the kind of population shifts that historic plagues caused, even if at a slightly smaller scale. you need to look at the excess deaths from whatever (particularly given someone who never contracts covid but dies due to a lack of healthcare availability is entirely relevant to this) rather than the lethality of the virus directly.

Also we're getting a new variant every 6-9 months. Stretch that over five to ten years and combine it with fertility effects and things are going to get very weird.

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

cr0y posted:

Did Israel green light #4?

I don't believe so. Just being considered at this point last I saw.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

A whole new fleet of healthcare workers are about to quit when it sinks in that the vaccines are useless and the facebook-brained chuds just keep coming in every day to scream at them. Even the dedicated lifetime pros are going to walk away.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Bold Robot posted:

Are there actual numbers anywhere on vaccine efficacy against infection by omicron at 3 doses vs. 2? All the news I can find either gives titer count reduction info or some overbroad bullshit like that chise "a third dose neutralizes omicron" tweet which seems to imply 100% which obviously isn't true.
we're weeks away from non-titer data-sets, so don't expect anything beyond educated guesswork on vaccine efficacy

that pfizer rushed out a press release in response to the initial datasets says it all imo. get a booster, but we can't extrapolate from the titer data-sets into breakthrough %, hospitalisation, severity, figures. unfortunate reality there is we'll be looking at real world cases as they come through for those figures

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

bowser posted:

May they all get what they actually deserve this time.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

dead gay comedy forums posted:

so is she some sort of PR operation

I have a terrible time reading anything about the subject because of my ignorance (like wtf ade2 receptors what where do I even BEGIN to read about this poo poo) and so much of the referenced, relevant information from the cutting edge of research is in this extremely packed context that of course it becomes very confusing and hard to parse

but even in all of this, not even once, I saw something indicating "neutralization" anywhere. what the gently caress is going on here?

She's getting paid by her fans to give out good news to soothe their anxiety.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

John_A_Tallon posted:

May they all get what they actually deserve this time.

The super wealthy will be able to get the new polymerase inhibitors, but your run of the mill chud small business owner is going to get hosed.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
at a squint the boosted numbers v. omicron aren't terrible, but its pretty clear that 2 doses is completely worthless.

good thing that *checks notes* ~15% of the population has a booster shot.

hm. maybe this isn't great.

HORSE OF THE YEAR
Jun 7, 2012

My aunt and uncle both have “a cold.” They refuse to get tested and are not vaccinated. both in their 50s.

My sister’s boyfriend’s family was going to come to thanksgiving dinner until my sister spoke with one of them on the phone and said they all had some kind of “cold.” They were immediately disinvited.

A beer vendor at my work told me he felt like he was “coming down with something” and didn’t know if he would be able to take that trip this weekend. He was not wearing a mask.

A coworker who had covid this time last year just got back from a cruise and is leaving for San Diego this week to attend a wedding. She will often tell me how she will never be vaccinated and how her sense of smell still isn’t right in the same breath.

A kid in my wife’s classroom tested positive, requiring two other vaccinated kids to quarantine for two whole days, and three other unvaccinated kids to quarantine for one whole week.

My wife’s coworker, a teacher, got covid before thanksgiving. His mom called him just before he got on the plane and told him to stay home.

This all happened in the past two weeks.

I remain one of two vaccinated people in my department of 8 people.

lol

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/SquawkCNBC/status/1468588505819488261?t=dX81hG3dwbmm_8K55Ep7vQ&s=19

They are lying about the vaccines and boosters

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

my favorite part about Omicron is how impressively karmic justice it is for all the natural immunity morons

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

NeonPunk posted:

She's getting paid by her fans to give out good news to soothe their anxiety.

you are loving kidding me

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/FirstSquawk/status/1468588854961577989?t=SxNW1-ynBHc5oZ7bTcRVuQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/SquawkCNBC/status/1468590060060790787?t=FzeUdIVi592dw0O2RpwUQA&s=19

They are lying south the boosters

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Greg Legg posted:

I wonder how the media is going to handle if it turns out that Trump did more to contain the virus. I mean, he had those daily briefings. I feel like I never see Joe Biden.

the media doesn't do truth or self reflection. they put out stories to manipulate the public in various ways, and only use the truth if they think it will help them in that manipulation goal

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

HORSE OF THE YEAR posted:

My aunt and uncle both have “a cold.” They refuse to get tested and are not vaccinated. both in their 50s.

My sister’s boyfriend’s family was going to come to thanksgiving dinner until my sister spoke with one of them on the phone and said they all had some kind of “cold.” They were immediately disinvited.

A beer vendor at my work told me he felt like he was “coming down with something” and didn’t know if he would be able to take that trip this weekend. He was not wearing a mask.

A coworker who had covid this time last year just got back from a cruise and is leaving for San Diego this week to attend a wedding. She will often tell me how she will never be vaccinated and how her sense of smell still isn’t right in the same breath.

A kid in my wife’s classroom tested positive, requiring two other vaccinated kids to quarantine for two whole days, and three other unvaccinated kids to quarantine for one whole week.

My wife’s coworker, a teacher, got covid before thanksgiving. His mom called him just before he got on the plane and told him to stay home.

This all happened in the past two weeks.

I remain one of two vaccinated people in my department of 8 people.

lol

A very large number of people especially vaccinated ones at the office have mentioned recently having colds or feeling sick. They of course say, “it’s not Covid though.” I always ask, “Oh, so you tested negative then.” “Nah, I didn’t get a test. it wasn’t that bad.”

:rubby:

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

https://mobile.twitter.com/biorxiv_micrbio/status/1468342750441525248

Okay, just what the heck is a sarbecovirus? I already filled my head with coronavirus info, now you're telling me I got to learn about a whole new family?

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

My wife observed last night that we are the only two people she is aware of in our social circle who haven't tested postive for COVID or had COVD-like symptoms and a negative test result.

*chuckles* I'm in danger.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

we're weeks away from non-titer data-sets, so don't expect anything beyond educated guesswork on vaccine efficacy

that pfizer rushed out a press release in response to the initial datasets says it all imo. get a booster, but we can't extrapolate from the titer data-sets into breakthrough %, hospitalisation, severity, figures. unfortunate reality there is we'll be looking at real world cases as they come through for those figures

https://twitter.com/TheSecretSarah/status/1468585733367767040

Changes to access restrictions for vaccination status within SA should allow some actual data regarding severity in the next few days.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Floor is lava posted:

i just now got the max titers joke while reading the official pfizer vs omicron update

:negative:

lol

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

lol at how loopy this thread gets overnight. Pfizer, that we eagerly got the first shot, the second shot and the booster from, are lying liars now that theyre saying things I dont want to hear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slider
Jun 6, 2004