Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Over the past year, I played 1k hours of Dyson Sphere, then I played 1k hours of CK III, and I'm at about 700 hours on Total War games, with the vast majority of that being WH2. What is the next 1k hour game I should play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Civilization? Stellaris? Any of those other "Just one more turn" games really.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Protocol7 posted:

Civilization? Stellaris? Any of those other "Just one more turn" games really.

There are no turns in Stellaris. :smugdog:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

FishMcCool posted:

There are no turns in Stellaris. :smugdog:

Just one more star system? :shrug:

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

zoux posted:

Over the past year, I played 1k hours of Dyson Sphere, then I played 1k hours of CK III, and I'm at about 700 hours on Total War games, with the vast majority of that being WH2. What is the next 1k hour game I should play?

What are the odds of you already having played Factorio?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Xanderkish posted:

What are the odds of you already having played Factorio?

Pretty good. And also I don't love 4X games. I may just go play some normal people games for a while but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a big one.

Aside from X-com, what's going to be my best (longest) turn based tactical game? If it helps my all time favorite in the genre is Shining Force II, so strong RPG/progression mechanics would be my preference. .

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
So is Dyson Sphere worth doing even though it's early access? How close to done are they?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

zoux posted:

dota and or league

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

zoux posted:

What is the next 1k hour game I should play?

Snowrunner.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Dec 8, 2021

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

So is Dyson Sphere worth doing even though it's early access? How close to done are they?

I bought it on a whim after playing a bit of Factorio and it captivated the hell out of me, don't know that I've ever been grabbed that hard by a game before. I haven't played it in months and there have been a number of updates since then, so I can't imagine it's worse than it was. It's $20 bucks and it's still "overwhelmingly positive" after a year, so there's not a lot to lose even if you hate it. Maybe I'll just go play some more of that :thunk:

JollyBoyJohn posted:

dota and or league

How dare you

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

JollyBoyJohn posted:

dota and or league

I'd never actually recommend anyone pick up a MOBA... But yea you can easily sink thousands of hours into this games.

In fact I have 3300 hours logged on DOTA =[

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

zoux posted:

Pretty good. And also I don't love 4X games. I may just go play some normal people games for a while but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a big one.

Aside from X-com, what's going to be my best (longest) turn based tactical game? If it helps my all time favorite in the genre is Shining Force II, so strong RPG/progression mechanics would be my preference. .

There are lots of people with 500+ hours in Battle Brothers.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Sab669 posted:

I'd never actually recommend anyone pick up a MOBA...

I hear this a lot but meh, you can dip in and out as much as you want unlike something like World of Warcraft or Final Fantasy 14 and it's a game type that really rewards observation and learning in a way that really tickles my buttons

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I hear this a lot but meh, you can dip in and out as much as you want unlike something like World of Warcraft or Final Fantasy 14 and it's a game type that really rewards observation and learning in a way that really tickles my buttons

Unless you know you're bad at games and want to save yourself the trouble of getting flamed by your teammates.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Trying to be really lazy and bind a button combo on my dualsense through steam to "WIN+P" so I can toggle between displaying on my monitor and TV without having to walk over to my keyboard, but the input registers in a weird way that pulls up the start menu in addition to the Windows display toggle & won't let me switch. Is there another key combo or function in Windows that lets me do a similar thing? Or a way to adjust the order of the inputs Steam is sending to windows? Thinking maybe I could bind PS+L1 to the WIN key and PS+R1 to the P key or something like that. I'm also pretty new to this multiple displays thing though so maybe there's a simpler solution I'm missing

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

zoux posted:

Rimworld easily, if you didn't play it yet. As a bonus it's really easy to mod and has a huge and incredibly active mod scene. And as was mentioned, Civilization is the original 1k hour game and the newest one holds pretty well. If you are specifically looking for turn based tactical game, I can't recommend Age of Wonders: Planetfall enough, as it's tactical battles are probably one of the best in the genre and the game is laser-focused on them. But it isn't really 1k hours game, and even 500 hours will be probably pushing it, so it's "just" a 300-400 hours game. :v:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The thing is though with an MMO you're almost never really punished for your ignorance. DOTA's like "Oh I guess I can't do anything for a minute because I didn't know %hero% can do that. And I lost gold so I can't even buy my item". Like few things are worse than being stuck in an hour long match because the enemy team refuses to win while just camping the poo poo out of your team. And yea you can Mute your teammates when the flaming starts, but who wants to do that. I do think it's a bit of a skill in itself to learn to just not get tilted by lovely teammates and I'm not sure how many people anticipate that just being part of MOBAs.

I recently spent a good month or two with FF14 and once my pub dungeon group wiped and it was shocking to me that me [healer] and the [tank] were like arguing over whose fault it was -- but not in the "Oh my god you loving moron why did you do that" way I'm used to from DOTA. Instead we were both just like, "Oh that was my bad, I shouldn't have done that" "no no that was my bad, I shouldn't have pulled that second pack" way.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 8, 2021

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

goferchan posted:

Trying to be really lazy and bind a button combo on my dualsense through steam to "WIN+P" so I can toggle between displaying on my monitor and TV without having to walk over to my keyboard, but the input registers in a weird way that pulls up the start menu in addition to the Windows display toggle & won't let me switch. Is there another key combo or function in Windows that lets me do a similar thing? Or a way to adjust the order of the inputs Steam is sending to windows? Thinking maybe I could bind PS+L1 to the WIN key and PS+R1 to the P key or something like that. I'm also pretty new to this multiple displays thing though so maybe there's a simpler solution I'm missing

I don't know an answer to your question but thank you for letting me know this hotkey exists, I've been doing this through the display settings manually every time I played on my TV :tipshat:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lt. Lizard posted:

Rimworld easily, if you didn't play it yet. As a bonus it's really easy to mod and has a huge and incredibly active mod scene. And as was mentioned, Civilization is the original 1k hour game and the newest one holds pretty well. If you are specifically looking for turn based tactical game, I can't recommend Age of Wonders: Planetfall enough, as it's tactical battles are probably one of the best in the genre and the game is laser-focused on them. But it isn't really 1k hours game, and even 500 hours will be probably pushing it, so it's "just" a 300-400 hours game. :v:

This sounds cool, thanks

Sab669 posted:

I recently spent a good month or two with FF14 and once my pub dungeon group wiped and it was shocking to me that me [healer] and the [tank] were like arguing over whose fault it was -- but not in the "Oh my god you loving moron why did you do that" way I'm used to from DOTA. Instead we were both just like, "Oh that was my bad, I shouldn't have done that" "no no that was my bad, I shouldn't have pulled that second pack" way.

You and I have had vastly different pub dungeon group experiences

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

goferchan posted:

Just did a quick test and binding a button to Win+P worked as expected for me. Did you use the "Toggle multi-button on" option when setting up the binding?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Sab669 posted:

The thing is though with an MMO you're almost never really punished for your ignorance. Like few things are worse than being stuck in an hour long match because the enemy team refuses to win while just camping the poo poo out of your team. And yea you can Mute your teammates when the flaming starts, but who wants to do that. I do think it's a bit of a skill in itself to learn to just not get tilted by lovely teammates and I'm not sure how many people anticipate that just being part of MOBAs.

Absolutely fair point and I can get why people would have the mentality of not wanting to be punished for your ignorance but I find it makes the game much more enjoyable on a long term basis, I mean that's obvious it just gives you more to learn and respond to.

Yeah the whole "being stuck in an hour long game you can't win thing" is a factor but having came from Dota to League the surrender feature mitigates most of that, plus it seems rare for a League game to go past half an hour. At the end of the day if you are playing a videogame in which success makes your opponents feel bad then you have to be prepared to accept the other side of the coin.

At the end of the day its a nice excuse to play a videogame with a colourful and quirky cast of characters where you can push buttons and have cool poo poo happen, I doubt League will maintain my interest in the way Dota did for a few thousand hours but its just fun

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Sure yea, the higher skill floor & ceiling makes the game immensely rewarding, which is why I'm still playing it after a decade whereas most games lose my interest after dozens of hours at most.

I do wish DOTA would add a Surrender button, there are just some games where you just want out but it's never going to happen. And I detest Riot too much to ever switch back to League :v:

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

The surrender button is not giving a gently caress and alt-f4ing

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Nah playing Low Priority games isn't worth the Abandon. I just alt tab and watch YouTube or whatever and put in minimal effort into the game until it's over. Buyback every time and if I die oh well.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Dota 2 is the only competitive game I’ve played where people can get mad at you for killing enemy players/units, something that is unconditionally good in any other game ever, but with an actual in-game justification for their whining

Combined with the very cool feature that a match can be decided a solid 10+ minutes before it finally ends and you have to sit through the whole thing or get punished, it’s probably the single most cancerous game I’ve ever touched

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Sam and Max Season 2 remaster is out! Along with cleaning up the graphics they've redesigned a few things to skew closer to the original concept art. I wonder what the devs will do after they finish remastering Season 3? Have they said anything?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i could definitely see myself being into mobas if they had been on the scene when i was 15 and gave a poo poo about yelling at random people on the internet so we can win a videogame but i am far too old, fat, and goony for them to appeal to me in even the slightest way now

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i played league for a year or more and 1000% regret it

it and dota are toxic blights that should be criminalized

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I played DotA 2 casually for a time, but gave up because my friends got really stressed out with every match, even the ones in which we won.

zoux posted:

Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children which is on special RIGHT NOW. It is essentially a JRPG with XCOM combat that continualy adds new mechanics (say hello to Pokemon 30/40 hours in and then drone building another 20 hours after that) as it progresses and you can literally spend hours tweaking the mastery boards of your units in the late game (or just grab a complete build). It is kind of the opposite of XCOM, in that the beginning is very easy and from the midgame onwards difficulty picks up and the late game warrants the use of all the bullshit you've accumulated so far instead of being a victory lap.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Lt. Lizard posted:

If you are specifically looking for turn based tactical game, I can't recommend Age of Wonders: Planetfall enough, as it's tactical battles are probably one of the best in the genre and the game is laser-focused on them. But it isn't really 1k hours game, and even 500 hours will be probably pushing it, so it's "just" a 300-400 hours game. :v:

Haven't heard of this one. Can you give me a "you will / won't like it if you do / don't like this game?" It's 75% off rn

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

The Sam and Max Season 2 remaster is out! Along with cleaning up the graphics they've redesigned a few things to skew closer to the original concept art. I wonder what the devs will do after they finish remastering Season 3? Have they said anything?
One of the developers behind the remasters (pretty sure its Jake Rodkin of Idle Thumbs fame) posts in the Adventure Games thread, so you could ask in there.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Mescal posted:

is there a way to get emulation on TV with controllers going? They've got a dumb tv, an older chromecast, an android phone that's already set up for emulation, a gaming PC with bluetooth, and a switch and ps3 that aren't jailbroken. I figure there must be a way

Connect the gaming pc to the TV with HDMI then emulate whatever you want on there? Windows has the most emulators as far as I know. Then connect the controllers to the PC. I'm probably confused about what exactly you want but that's the only way I'd do it.

zoux posted:

stop, you madman!! just stop. when does it all END!??

My advice is try playing 10 hours in 100 different games instead of 1,000 hours in one, switch it up a bit

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i'd rather spend 1000 hours in a game i like than 10 minutes in 1000 games i hate

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Cowcaster posted:

i'd rather spend 1000 hours in a game i like than 10 minutes in 1000 games i hate

then don't play games you hate! that's not what I'm recommending

variety is the spice of life

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

what if i only like 2 or 3 games

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I don't fear the man who has played ten thousand games once

I fear the man who has played one game ten thousand times

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Hwurmp posted:

what if its like tetris or something

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
Become a game dev and you can spend 10 minutes thousands of times in one game you hate. it's awesome.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Hwurmp posted:

i don't fear either of these men because vitamin d deficiency has rendered them lethargic and depressed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Feels Villeneuve posted:

what if its like tetris or something

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-BZ5-Q48lE

zoux fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Dec 8, 2021