Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Kuiperdolin posted:

When I was in college there was this guy who bragged about having never read any book except for school assignments and Lord of the Rings.

I guess that's better than The Game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Kuiperdolin posted:

When I was in college there was this guy who bragged about having never read any book except for school assignments and Lord of the Rings.

E:

Unrelated

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Dec 8, 2021

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

rotinaj posted:

Corporate showed up at my small science lab which is being outsourced to a Caribbean country in the beginning of next year

They got catered lunch ordered for them, and not a single one of them bothered to introduce themselves to us small time peons who, you know, produce the thing that makes them the money that gives them a job

Cool cool cool

Edit: no masks, too

Why would they do that? Next thing you know the secretary has given you names and they've GOT to adopt you at that point, better to just not get too close before you're put down fired

:thermidor:

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

Coatlicue posted:

What book was it?

I believe it was Mao's little red book, lmao

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Now that's Mao like it!

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Company I work for is getting an uptick in bad social media presence and our marketing guy is trying to stem the tide of potential websites created to trash us by wanting me to buy domains and squatting in them.

“corpsucks.com”
“corpblows.com”
Etc

Like I get the sentiment but there are so so so many permutations that if I were putting in the effort to make an anti business and “corpsucks.com” wasn’t available I’d simply move on to .net, .co, .wtf and so on. Just lol at this request.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

George H.W. oval office posted:

Company I work for is getting an uptick in bad social media presence and our marketing guy is trying to stem the tide of potential websites created to trash us by wanting me to buy domains and squatting in them.

“corpsucks.com”
“corpblows.com”
Etc

Like I get the sentiment but there are so so so many permutations that if I were putting in the effort to make an anti business and “corpsucks.com” wasn’t available I’d simply move on to .net, .co, .wtf and so on. Just lol at this request.

lol

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Can't they just astroturf Glassdoor? I think that would be cheaper even

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

George H.W. oval office posted:

“corpsucks.com”
“corpblows.com”
Etc

How publicly bad is this situation that you need to squat domains because random people are making their own websites to trash the company?

Do you work for Better.com?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Space Kablooey posted:

Can't they just astroturf Glassdoor? I think that would be cheaper even

Lol my management does this. Even without names their job title/dept narrows the list of five star suspects considerably.

I got a sensible chuckle as the always steady trickle of IT talent leaving for better companies became a deluge as our leadership refused to allow permanent WFH, and efforts to restaff are hampered by half our recruiting dept getting headhunted.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Been in my current position 3 months next week, and while it's going fairly well overall, there are things I want to bury my head into a pillow and scream about.

My official title is Accounting Associate (note: I know precisely dick about actual accounting practice, but I'm very good at learning software and sending professional emails) but it should be Gatekeeper To the VP. Any requests that used to go to my boss now go to me, as I am now in charge of all invoice entry, emergency credit card payments, invoice status, service agreements, and document wrangling. Honestly I don't mind this because I like to stay busy, however I will absolutely be asking for a raise when reviews come up beginning of the year.

I DO mind interacting with vendors, for a very simple reason: Our payment terms for invoices are 90 days, which is about 60 days more than anyone wants to wait for their money (hence the emergency credit card authorizations for vendors who flip and shut us off, which happens multiple times a week. I had five of them when I walked in yesterday and spent the entire day being yelled at.)

We actually have an email exclusively for payment updates, but that usually ends with someone saying "We'll add you to the check list for this week" which is almost always bullshit, as anyone who has been in payables can tell you. And I have no ability to actually cut checks, so I'm at the mercy of pissed off AR people and CEOs of small companies.

This, in theory, can be remedied by the vendor signing a Master Service Agreement, where they can negotiate better payment terms. In practice these are almost never approved, because the insurance requirements are insane for small companies, and the lawyer who approves them is notorious for slow walking the entire process and asking for multiple revisions of the contract, forcing me to request changes multiple times and looking like an idiot. We just had a three month construction project that finished their work before the contract to start the work was approved.

My mental health fell off a cliff yesterday afternoon, and today I am working from home, doing gently caress all other than invoices and answering direct emails. Thankfully it has been slow so I haven't done much, but don't tell my anxiety that. It is scratching at the door, desperately wanting to go out for a walk. Can't wait to close this loving laptop and smoke a weed.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Why would the smart people out there who want to work not go to another company that can pay them more since that’s obviously happening with the renters leaving?

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
90 days? That’s terrible, I work for state government, notorious for being slow payers, and we generally pay within 60. Even at 60 days, the vendors(quite reasonably) grumble about it, I can’t imagine having to regularly deal with a 90 day level of anger.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Why would the smart people out there who want to work not go to another company that can pay them more since that’s obviously happening with the renters leaving?
I think the implication here is if you own a house you might be too dumb to realize inflation is happening to go job hunting I guess.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

JnnyThndrs posted:

90 days? That’s terrible, I work for state government, notorious for being slow payers, and we generally pay within 60. Even at 60 days, the vendors(quite reasonably) grumble about it, I can’t imagine having to regularly deal with a 90 day level of anger.

it's pretty indefensible imo, it's not like we have a million invoices entered a day

after being yelled at by a vendor for five minutes about how we're bankrupting her over a 10k invoice I basically had to say "i get it, I personally think it's bullshit myself, but my hands are tied, I'm just a data jockey" so we're still do not service with them and will be for another two months.

like I told my boss, I can be charming but not $10,000 worth of charming.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I finally convinced AP that net terms are intended to provide time for the payment to arrive and be credited, instead of start processing after it goes overdue. It took about a year of arguing for it

For my next trick I am going to try to get them to answer their email when a vendor contacts them without being prompted by ops.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Accounts payable is such an extremely stockholder-value poisoned clusterfuck. Woe to the day a bean counter figured out they can make cashflow look better instantaneously while completely loving every long term relationship that could be used to make cashflow actually sustainably better.

See also sales targets. Love to post record sales in week 4 of the month, then post record returns in week 1 of the next month.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

One of the department heads had to be told to stop hiring local randos without making sure they have work comp, without telling them that we only cut checks twice a month, and without warning them that failure to get us their relevant paperwork means they won't even get into the queue to get their check cut until they do. Then Rando McNepotism is getting mad at me because I have to ask him questions about where he advertises his services and how much money he makes from people that aren't us, and he still hasn't been paid for work done weeks ago because he didn't realize he needed to send us an actual bill before we could pay it and couldn't just tell his friend that we owe him 20k. Then he waited to get us the W9 we need to actually pay the bill until the day after the board meeting and now it's three weeks until the next one.

"Why are we making it so hard to support local businesses!!" well for one thing it's not a local business, it's a guy you know who built his own garage at home and you decided that was a portfolio. This invoice is a word document where he just typed

quote:

Dec 8th 2021

$200,00 for garage

McNepotism Builders Inc

He isn't incorporated. He's some guy. When we finally mail his check it takes three weeks before he asks where his check is. Through a series of confused interactions we figure out that the only address he ever gave us actually belongs to his estranged mother with whom he is not on speaking terms. Our insurer has decided he is an employee and charges us a penalty.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
At my previous job, one of the two biggest retail conglomerates in the country, the standard terms of payment was 120 days. I was gobsmacked when I found out, but that was before I realised that the company did everything in the most assholeish way possible.

I once had an essential vendor on a big project dig in his heels and demand 30 days. Getting that approved took 6 days and sign off by the CFO himself.

gently caress "cash is king!" types and their lovely financial practices.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
But you can probably monetize your supply chain much better if you make them wait.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/12/08/success/raises-2022/index.html

D O U B T
O
U
B
T

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Critical posted:

I DO mind interacting with vendors, for a very simple reason: Our payment terms for invoices are 90 days, which is about 60 days more than anyone wants to wait for their money (hence the emergency credit card authorizations for vendors who flip and shut us off, which happens multiple times a week. I had five of them when I walked in yesterday and spent the entire day being yelled at.)
Speaking from the other side, this is incredibly frustrating. Doubly so if you're a subcontractor who has to hire your own vendor because now I'm forced to either:
(1) convince my subcontractor to go pay-when-paid which is both difficult and ends up really pissing them off when your 90 days makes my pay-when-paid actually like 95 days to them
(2) pay my vendor out of my own pocket, basically floating you money for free, while hoping like hell you don't turn "90 days" into "150 days"

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
My old company were absolute bastards with payment terms. 90 days from date of invoice, but we also had a lovely thing in the fine print we called the Discount Chain. See, we give ourselves 90 days to pay your invoice, but if we go extra fast and pay you within 30 days, we give ourselves a 1.5% discount. If we manage to pay you in 15 days, we give ourselves a 3% discount!

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
So it looks like I'm about to test my current employer's willingness to push the terms of their wack-rear end non-compete clause. Despite the prospective new employer being a direct competitor, my current non-compete includes the phrase "anywhere in the world", and I live in Canada, so I think I'll be ok.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Most non-competes are unenforceable garbage anyway.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Super Waffle posted:

My old company were absolute bastards with payment terms. 90 days from date of invoice, but we also had a lovely thing in the fine print we called the Discount Chain. See, we give ourselves 90 days to pay your invoice, but if we go extra fast and pay you within 30 days, we give ourselves a 1.5% discount. If we manage to pay you in 15 days, we give ourselves a 3% discount!

haha what the gently caress how is that legal?!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

i like how the idea of a raise big enough to garner a cnn news story still projects a raise that does not keep up with inflation

in fact relative to 2021 inflation that would be a smaller raise than I have got in previous years. A 3.9% raise when inflation was 6.2% is much worse than a 1.5% raise or whatever when inflation was 1.8%. Pure propaganda.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Dec 9, 2021

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

deep dish peat moss posted:

i like how the idea of a raise big enough to garner a cnn news story still projects a raise that does not keep up with inflation

in fact relative to 2021 inflation that would be a smaller raise than I have got in previous years. A 3.9% raise when inflation was 6.2% is much worse than a 1.5% raise or whatever when inflation was 1.8%. Pure propaganda.

If I had to take a shot in the dark it's also probably factoring in them just offering more money for people coming in, not necessary more money for existing employees.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Existing employees, as always, are gonna get reamed

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

E: nm

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

zedprime posted:

See also sales targets. Love to post record sales in week 4 of the month, then post record returns in week 1 of the next month.

Isn’t that illegal? I was under the impression that this was false accounting if there’s any evidence whatsoever that it was a deliberate ploy to artificially hit a target.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

The wealthy Job Creators will never face actual punishment for illegal practices as long as they don't effect their own.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

Wendigee posted:

haha what the gently caress how is that legal?!

businesses are expected to take steps to fully understand the contract and it's obligations before agreeing to it. since it's between peers not imbalanced like a contract between a business and a member of the public.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I am ~99% certain my venus flytrap could run a company better than these stupid buzzword processes. I am happy the entire workforce in academia is so cantankerous most of these empty headed corporate people don't get anywhere when they try this crap.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Scientastic posted:

Isn’t that illegal? I was under the impression that this was false accounting if there’s any evidence whatsoever that it was a deliberate ploy to artificially hit a target.
I mean if it's a concerted effort, especially if stock never actually moves, then yeah it's an accounting no no. But it's very possible to be human stupidity all the way down in sales to distribution centers or retail:
The customer is like hey I need a pallet of product
The sales person is like don't you mean two
The customer is like I GUESS just send me some poo poo
Every other salesperson sends an oversized replenishment and the customer is suddenly staring at a logjammed dock like what the gently caress and starts sending poo poo back to his least favorite supplier

Some of it is when in retail sales especially in grocery, the sales people get into the store and dock to build and stock displays so there's also a scenario like "I swear I can fit it all in the end cap" and then they can't and the customer is like get this poo poo off my dock.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Barudak posted:

Existing employees, as always, are gonna get reamed

We just can't afford to give you a raise this year, because we had to pay so much to replace all the people that keep quitting!

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Azuth0667 posted:

I am ~99% certain my venus flytrap could run a company better than these stupid buzzword processes. I am happy the entire workforce in academia is so cantankerous most of these empty headed corporate people don't get anywhere when they try this crap.

ok, so legit some of this poo poo DOES work with regards to manufacturing processes. Seriously, some of the kaizens we've done have been really head-scratching, as in "why the gently caress didn't we do this earlier"? Simple poo poo like "Kanban Red/Yellow/Green indicators on raw material boxes to indicate when we should place a resupply order", or "Put order of priority numbers for production orders since everything is stamped RUSH already".

However, for every successfully implemented change I've seen, there've been 10 that failed miserably either due to unrealistic expectations, or lack of will from management/employees.
When you tell employees "follow this new process, it saves us X minutes per part" and they simply say "no" and there's no follow-up, that's weak management.

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010
HEY GUYS I'VE FLOWN HELICOPTERS IN THIS GAME BEFORE AND I AM AN EXPERT. ALSO, HOW DO I START THE ENGINE?
I'm been in a mandatory, company wide training on lean manufacturing principles. While in the training, I asked if anyone above front line managers would be attending and they said no, directors/VP/Ceo would not be. I then asked, how can they expect us to implement lean practices when we would have to explain the entire concept to the decision makers every time. Did not receive any answer of value... Once it was clear that management had no intention of actually implementing, finished the training and promptly forgot it all.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
It's very possible to be a lean shop without director involvement. There's plenty of big capital and transformation projects you can get out of lean, but it's also concerned with things like "why does it take me 10 minutes to find a screwdriver" or "who's in charge of ordering printer paper."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010
HEY GUYS I'VE FLOWN HELICOPTERS IN THIS GAME BEFORE AND I AM AN EXPERT. ALSO, HOW DO I START THE ENGINE?

zedprime posted:

It's very possible to be a lean shop without director involvement. There's plenty of big capital and transformation projects you can get out of lean, but it's also concerned with things like "why does it take me 10 minutes to find a screwdriver" or "who's in charge of ordering printer paper."

I work in pharmaceutical manufacturing where everything requires approval for changes. So good luck implementing a nice lean procedure by changing SOPs and getting multiple directors who don't want to change workflow for their people on board.

Edit: still can't find any loving screwdrivers.